The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Don't tell me LBT isn't popular

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I decided to take a little bit of time this morning and check out my vids on YouTube and see just how popular they really are with the help of the "Insight" link that only I can access.  For those of you who aren't familiar with it, more than likely either due to being a member and not having a single vid just because you want to comment or not being a member at all, this link basically gives me the information on how popular it really is among those that watch it.  It give me deep down information from which countries watch it to age range to gender.  And what has all my research found?  The following:

The person watching the vid will more than likely:

-Be someone from the United States or Canada.

-Either be 17- or 45+ (Which means kids and retired parents)

-Be Female (Hint to the guys there. ;))

Of course, I understand that YT's information is more than likely flawed because of certain pieces of information that isn't available with the guests.  Yet this shows something important, that LBT is popular, but only within those that casually watch movies.  Which means LBT is always introducing a new audience to movies, which is a good thing, and here's why:

You are more than likely to find a movie that is PG-13+, which is an audience that is shrinking, while those for Rated G is vastly increasing. (Look at any website that will provide age range for the world population and you'll see the truth there.) Which means movie companies going with the latter are getting more money in the long run.  So they'll more than likely be able to make a new movie because they'll always have the money to do it. (Which is why Disney is able to come out with several new movies every year.  They simply have the money to do it.)

Basically speaking, LBT is a popular series because it's always introducing someone new to the movie era and at the same time have someone who will want to watch it in their free time because females are more than likely to watch a movie than males. (Don't believe me?  Who watches movies more?  Your mom or dad?)

Since it tends to catch the audience that is more than likely to watch a movie, this is what makes it popular and why Universal should keep it around and continue supporting it rather than taking them off the shelves like they have been recently.  The day it is no longer available will be the day they start to get a collapsing "boom" in the companies budget.

YouTube has proven LBT is popular.

What more evidence do you need?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
YouTube has proven LBT is popular.

Do you know I said exactly thesame this morning ?  :blink:  You're so right  :p  :yes

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
yup, he is right, i checked some youtube land before time videos, and all were much watched,

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Truth be told, I haven't watched the Land Before Time films in a long time... and I don't really use you tube to watch it very much... at ALL.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I wonder if someone at Universal as done some of this research.  You'd think they would know what sort of profit they are making and how much each movie makes in profit vs cost.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Maybe not.  I won't pretend that I've watched any of your LBT vids on youtube, but I can imagine that you vids will come up by using search terms that are not related to LBT.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Um, not to put a damper on the party, but is Youtube really a good standard on which to base the popularity of a movie series? Maybe your videos are getting a lot of hits, but most of those hits weren't by LBT fans, they were by average joes going Youtube surfing. A better argument would be to review the comment pages. What percentage of the users add positive comments, and of those, are there more positive than negative comments? However, that would be tough to calculate, since pokeplayer has the power to delete unfriendly comments, so our data would be biased.

rosie

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I agree.I noticed a lot of people responsing to my comments. I doubt my comments are any good so it must be the series popularity.I agree more females like the series since males tend to like violence and blood. Dinosaurs series that are more popular with males tend to more violent, bloody and other dinos get eaten.  <_<

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, unusual how it is like that.  I guess it is normal.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I agree more females like the series since males tend to like violence and blood.
Yeah right, I notice that every time violence in LBT is being discussed... :rolleyes:

Seriously, looking at such discussions I don't really see our female fans (sadly still by far outnumbered by the males) taking a significantly more peaceful stand than some of our males do.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: rosie,Aug 30 2008 on  06:59 PM
I agree more females like the series since males tend to like violence and blood.
While I'm a female, I do like violence and blood, and someone had even mistook me for a male because of the nature of the dark fanfics I would write. But while I agree that males would like violence and blood (though I don't think that interest is exclusive to the males, seeing how I like violence and blood as well), I'm not so sure that is the reason that, on YT, more females are watching than males. I think there might be another reason, personally.

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm male. I do like violence and blood. Not excessive blood though.  :x

Perhaps more females are drawn in by the cute element that the characters offer?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com

Shinji-Lee

• Chomper
    • View Profile
i am male. but i don't like violence that much. just slapstick stuff, if that counts...
for blood...it tastes well, but in don't know what else i would like it for

regarding lbt, it is indeed the cuteness and infant humor, which makes me love it.

does this have a meaning, I'm unaware of?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I"m not a super fan of violence, but it does fit in with some stories more then others.  I prefer a well written story first, and those can be done with little or no violence.  I do like comedy, perhaps more then violence, and certain types of comedy then other types.  

I like that when lbt is well written they can tell a very good story with little or no violence in it.  Along with some of the songs, the fact it has dinos in it and they do look cute, the kids at least, not all the characters look cute.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
If violence is to be included in LBT I would rather have it depicted in its true vicious and destructive shape as done in the original movie or at least as a serious peril rather than some kind of kid's game with no real risk or pain (as has been done in some of the later sequels). If there is to be violence I think that there must be a good reason if we talk of violence other than natures call to a sharptooth's stomach. Violence committed out of the lust for violence (as is often the case among humans) is nothing that I would expect from LBT dinosaurs.

I am not looking LBT for the sake of violence (other movies provide more of that) but feel much more moved by certain moments of sentimentalism as well as glimpses of an imperfect utopia. I don't feel any of this has to do anything with me being a male.

Vaan360

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I¥m a a male, and I like lbt,for the cuteness of the caracthers, and the way the storyboards are writen,to be honest if it had violence It think it ruin it all, depending on the type of violence.
Malte said, if I want to see vilolent stuff, other films with provide me that kind of action,I like lbt because it is that way, like the way I like resident evil for having violence and blood.
Well in a part I agree that boys like more violence that girls, and is still a fact,but that does¥t mean girls are swetie angels :rolleyes:

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
If there is to be violence I think that there must be a good reason if we talk of violence other than natures call to a sharptooth's stomach. Violence committed out of the lust for violence (as is often the case among humans) is nothing that I would expect from LBT dinosaurs.

I agree. The planteaters seem quite peaceful. I imagine though that they could get violent in a crisis. There might have been a few off-screen conflicts between Threehorn and some thirsty dinos in LBT III for example.

Vaan360

• Petrie
    • View Profile
i don¥t think we can¥t call violence to that, because they actually fight, Cera¥s father only becames agressive, that¥s now violence, at least now to me...

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I would guess there are arguments but maybe not actual fights, like humans get into where an argument can lead into a fight.    The residents of the Great Valley may be different where they may argue, but not necessarily get into a fight from an argument.   Though some may they may be more likely to be kicked out of the Great Valley if they did.   As for Threehorn acting the way he did in the third movie, I like the expression of the Maiasaur's face during part of the sing, like he wasn't afraid of Threehorn, but he had heard it all before.