The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

should they have a pact?

rosie · 14 · 1367

rosie

• Chomper
    • View Profile
ALl should make a pact that when they are older ,they keep being friends.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Ali lost every chance of being their friend when she dumped them in favor of Rhett. I wouldn't sign any pact with her unless I get some monetary compenation when she breaks it.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Does friendship require pacts or treaties?  :huh:
And if you are talking of something marriage-like, I'm not sure they would think in the same terms as humans do and agree on a pact about something that is to happen in many, many years. Doing that is a very human thing.
And what on earth would that monetarian compensations be?

Gee, I would not sign such a document of no-confidence with my best friend, nor would I want him or her to sign such a document. Friendship and love are not regulated by documents and files!

Shinji-Lee

• Chomper
    • View Profile
praise you, Malte. there's nothing left to say. just that you are right.

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com

Shinji-Lee

• Chomper
    • View Profile

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Why should they since their feelings may change over time.  If Littlefoot spends some time with Bron's herd he may find more friends and maybe female longneck friends among them.   If all the young ones we saw with Shorty in the flashback were adopted and some of the longnecks who joined Bron's herd had some young ones there should be a good number of Longnecks around Littlefoot's age with maybe half being female, and Ali may grow to like Rhett more then Litttlefoot or other longnecks may join her herd with some other male longnecks around her age.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
what do you expect? he is always right!
Thank you, but this is nonsense ;)
I'm not being modest and I hope to be right more often than not, but I do fail, I do err, I do blunder, and I do hold opinions and views which are neither right nor wrong, and it is good that I do. If anyone was perfect live would become rather dull and imperfect. We would no longer have that perfectness to strive for in the awareness that we will never reach it, but trying to come as close to it as we can anyway. The administrative task of being an admin does not make a person better than another.

I strongly agree with Kor. Even if such a "pact" had been "signed" by Ali and Littlefoot, that could not determine the feelings of a living character for the rest of his or her lives like some command entered into the mechanics of a machine.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Agreed. Paper and ink mean nothing to the developing personality of a child. Words alone don't change how a child grows up. It depends on actions and events as well, and the combination makes us who we are and will be.

However, I don't think that we should praise Malte just because he is an admin. We should respect his authority, but not treat him like a deity. In fact, humans should not treat any other human like a deity. However, that is another topic. Maybe I'll start it in the AM forum.

Shinji-Lee

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I don't think that we should praise Malte just because he is an admin.
I didn't. I meant to praise him for his words...maybe praise wasn't the right word at this place...

something like a pact includes to take high responsibility, which weighs heavy, especially on a child's shoulders. if it is meant to be made, there will be the right time and a good reason.

besides that, a pact does not need to be necessarily about something like a fixed mateship or whatever...
If they all gather and swear to stay friends till the end, could be a pact, too...and the scene would be kind of cute...

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
If they all gather and swear to stay friends till the end, could be a pact, too...and the scene would be kind of cute...

I don't know. That could be an interesting scene, but I doubt that the kids would go into something as complicated as a pact. Friendship is friendship. You don't need a pact for it.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Aug 30 2008 on  11:53 PM
Ali lost every chance of being their friend when she dumped them in favor of Rhett. I wouldn't sign any pact with her unless I get some monetary compenation when she breaks it.
I thought they were still friends by the end of the episode. I don't recall it ending with them saying that Ali wasn't their friend anymore.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
^ That's because it wasn't said.
Also I would consider it a very poor sign for the quality of a friendship if a friend cannot tolerate another friend liking someone home the first friend doesn't like. Admittedly, Ali allowed herself to be ordered around too much by Rhett, which may at last be a sign of that "shyness" ascribed to her in some official texts, but I don't think it would be just or "Littlefoot-like" if she was "punished" the "no longer your friend" style.