The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Activities in the Great Valley

Noname · 17 · 1655

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
I imagine that the children play a lot, but the adults would have to do other things. Besides eating a lot and talking they would probably do other things like sun themselves, scratch themselves against trees, or relax in water and/or mud. I imagine that some of the younger adults (physically mature but not yet parents) would be involved in courtship-type events... which probably aren't too sophisticated... probably a lot of nuzzling and stuff...

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Its entirely possible the fully grown adults of the valley do participate in other activities, however as for adolescent dinos in the valley it would be hard to imagine...since as far as I can tell there are none seen in any of the movies or series.

But I'm sure you're right Noname, the adolescents would participate in courtship events, and some may even still play a game or two, but until either the gang grows up (which may never happen) or a herd comes by with teen aged offspring, we may never know.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
True, those are good ideas and likely.   Some may also tell stories.  Some, especially flyers, may patrol certain areas looking for sharpeeth trying to sneak into the valley and bring back news to the greeters of farwalkers that are headed towards the valley so they can greet them, or maybe carry messages back and forth a bit.  Maybe those who can run really fast also.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
The example of Tria and her mudhole in "The mysterious tooth crisis" may go to show that the grownups too have their ways to enjoy life. Tria's Mrs. Tubehead quote suggests that the grownups too keep contact and possibly friendships among each other, though perhaps on a different level than the kids.
We have also seen Littlefoot's grandparents taking a "shower" under a waterfall in LBT 4. Mr. Thicknose is an example of a dinosaur who seems to have made almost a kind of "profession" of teaching the children and Littlefoot's grandpa too has been a narrator of stories. I think it quite likely and possible that there may be such an exchange of stories among the grownups as well (and I see some grownups rolling their eyes when Tops is about to tell the next tale about just how great threehorns are :lol).

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I know there is a Maiasaur who rolls it's eyes during Threehorn's song in the third movie.

As far as I know no one's called him, or Cera on that threehorns are great and can do anything better then anyone, sort of thing.  If they are they they should be able to fly as well as Petrie or better or swim as well as Ducky or better.  Those who saw the tv episode The Great Log Running Game know what happened when Cera tried to prove threehorns can do anything, including log running.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Perhaps there is such thing as professional sports in Great Valley, eh? :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There could be some who like to exercise in various ways.

Mr. Thicknose was a teacher sort in the 8th movie, and maybe still is.  They have mentioned story speakers, so there may be certain things that some choose to do in the great valley.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
The readiness of the grownups to listen to the blown up stories about Cera in "The amazing threehorn girl" may also indicate the importance of storytelling for the inhabitants of the Great Valley in general rather than merely their gullibility.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
True, we've only seen the kids listening to stories, or in a few cases telling stories.  It could be that grown ups do that also among themselves, and maybe most of the valley may gather at certain times to tell stories to everyone.  Maybe certain ones do like Grandpa Longneck, or it may be some take turns.  They key is one of the npc characters mentioned some line like, "and never told us it was made up." which one could say means they do listen to stories they know to be made up, as a form of entertainment, as well as some stories that may be fully true, and some that are handed down that may or may not be true, or may be partially true, like Grandpa Longneck's stories.

rosie

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Maybe the threehorns show off their horns to the girls and have fake battles or real ones like modern day hoof animals. Maybe the females spread gossip.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Some of those do occur I"d guess.  Also some adults may tell stories to each other and there may be regular times when several gather to listen to a story or do other activities.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well I assume the adults do what most humans do, besides the going-to-work thing. They keep an eye on their kids, not constantly, but they do check on them. They try to stay in hearing range of their kids so when they call for help, they can be there quickly. Take the first dramatic scene from The Land Before Time II: The Great Valley Advenure for example. When the gang of five was in trouble and yelled, every single one of their families heard and came running. They hold meetings occasionally to discuss matters of importance. They even keep the valley clean after things like storms. As for pleasure, I never see them playing around; I suppose watching kids at times and chatting is just as enjoyable for them. They try to keep a lookout for any unusual activities. They enjoy walks with there familes, considering I see Topsy walking with Tria frequently. They try to give advice and be examples of it. All and all, I'd have to say the aults are content but probably don't lead exciting lives anymore, except for a few times like trying to fix the thundering falls (III), looking for a temporary home (V), visiting far off places- adultwise, just the grandparents- (X), and fighting off invaders (II). While they seem happy, I can say that in The Great Valley I would be a little bored as a parent and even worse off as an adult with no family that is either too old to court or simply doesn't want to. One last thing is that Littlefoot's grandparents have no choice but to eat most of day. Think of how many thousands of little leaves it would take to fill a stomach the size of car!

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, one of the problems of being so large is one has to spend much of one's time eating.   We've seen some of what they do, or see evidence of it.  They do have some calibrations.  Some adults spend time together, maybe part of why Guido was watching Tricia.  Maybe other things like just relaxing in the mud pools, in cool watering holes.  Adults gathering around to talk, or tell stories, or just walking together and spending time together, ect.  

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
From the stories in LBT 6 and the Starday celebration, I think the Great Valley probably has a culture of its own, with their own rituals and celebrations, even a sort of mythology.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
& we have only seen glimpses of that in the movies and tv series.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: jedi472,Dec 18 2008 on  03:20 PM
From the stories in LBT 6 and the Starday celebration, I think the Great Valley probably has a culture of its own, with their own rituals and celebrations, even a sort of mythology.
In LBT 10 the Longneck mythos seems to hint that different herds have their own culture.

Might the Great Valley's culture be a hybrid of the cultures of the various herds that have lived in the valley?

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It likely would be, with culture from each of the types living there, and maybe some from farwalkers who visit.