The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Before leaving the island,

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hi, I'm new here, and a big Lbt fan, especially Chomper. I can't help but wonder what life was like on his island besides the brief glimpse we got in 5.  I figured he go hunting with his parents and maybe by himself. I wonder if there were any other little sharpteeth he played with, like the carnivorous baby flyers we saw.

Anyone got ideas?

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
There was one TV episode that showed other Sharptooth young, and showed that they weren't very friendly. I doubt Sharpteeth children play together, if that frustratingly obtuse orange one from the TV episode is any indicator.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
One problem is Chomper kept talking to it in flattooth.  And they were not in the same herd either, so both of those may have been factors.   You may see much the same reaction if a maiasaur were to talk to Cera only in Sharptooth & wasn't a resident of the Great Valley.

rosie

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I didn't think that little sharptooth was even another t-rex. Chomper thought it was someone his age  when it wasn't. I always thought it was weird that Chomper had no sharptooth friends to play with since how is he going to learn to fight or getting along with another sharpteeth.  :confused

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
While it would be difficult for me to fathom some theories as to what Chomper might have done, I can definately point out what the movie proves he does, and based off the facts it provides, I can add some educated gueses which could very well explain some things. It is clear that Chomper spent a lot of time exploring the island and even naming the places, something he still needs to work on. But most interesting of all was the fact that he analyzed the importance of the places he finds. Remember when he hid his friends in the "Stinky Place?" He put them there because he understood that sharpteeth could not find them because of the strong odor of the plants there. While it is possible his parents simply told him about smells confusing sharpteeth, for the sake of making things intersting, I have some theories as to what personal experiences might have happened to make him realize that.
1. His parents were looking for him, and as children are playful, they like to hide from them at times, and perhaps Chomper- being a child- does just that by hiding in the 'Stinky Place" not even realizing what would happen, it was probably just a nearby place to duck into. When his excellent tracking parents walk right by without noticing him, he could probably piece together what happened.
2. Or maybe somthing simpler. He is hunting small prey, smelling it with his mouth watering, when it jumps into the "Stinky Place" and the scent vanishes. Another easy discovery.
3. But what if discovering this wasn't so easy? With an island full of exotic smells, he might've noticed his sniffer not working so well near them. Then he finds the "Stinky Place" and makes a realization, "If my sniffer has trouble with things that smell half as strong, it musty be impossible for sharpteeth to smell around here!" A little bit more thinking is involved on Chomper's part here, but he's a clever little guy.
As for friends, I highly doubt he had any. On that very small island, you'd think any friends would be hanging around. For the two days the gang is there, Chomper is not seen interacting with any one else his age, and it seems odd that he would ignore any old friends when new ones came. Chomper was dying for the others to meet his parents. Usually kids want friends to meet friends. I usually only see such an effort to introduce family when there is no one else around to introduce. Littlefoot says, "So, do you live here?" "Yep. Me and my mommy and daddy!" he answers. He doesn't mention anyone else. Think about it. If you lived with a friend and your parents, and somebody asks you about living where you are, why on earth would you mention your parents and say nothing about a friend? I highly doubt Chomper would have forgotten having any other friends. Call me crazy, but I don't think he wanted Littlefoot to stay because he's a friend that he can play with. I think Chomper wanted him to stay because he's Chomper's only friend, the only one to play with.

I figured he go hunting with his parents and maybe by himself.

I can give a confirmed response to that. It shows Chomper hunting by himself toward the beginning. He finds the gang because he was hunting them. It wasn't originally a friendly visit. He chased them with a death glare that only went away when he recognized them. This also proves that had gone hunting with his parents in the past because they must've taught him what do. He didn't have a death glare until he left with his parents.

As for life in general, young children need friends to play with, and Chomper had had a taste of true friends as a baby which turns out that he did not forget about. Therefore his life was as lonely as possible. If he had never had friends, he wouldn't feel as bad since he wouldn't know what he was missing. But after taking one bite of candy, even if you can't get any for a long time, you never forget the pleasaure it brought you, and therefore you suffer, because you know how good something is, but are only being able to enjoy it in your dreams. And I'm not saying Littlefoot ruined his life in any way. You know what they say, "Tis better to have experienced true friendship and lost it, than to never have had a friend at all." Okay, that's not how it goes, but I had to make it fit. Chomper was lonely, but I believe knowing what is out there and longing for it beats being oblivious to the worlds pleasures any day.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Nice to read such elaborate posts The Friendly Sharptooth, and welcome with us (I don't think you got your own welcoming thread so far) :yes

As for stinky place there are somewhat contradictory messages in the movie. First it seems like the smell wasn't too bad (Petrie actually has to take a deep sniff out of one of the flowers before noticing the smell), then it seems to be quite strong again (Cera protesting against staying there), later on Petrie says the food is not bit with a tiny bit of the stinky stuff on it etc. Maybe Petrie and Spike are less sensitive about the smell than any of the others.
If Chomper did sense that smell very clearly (which is likely under the suggestion that sharpteeth have a very keen sense of smell which is particularly stressed in the episode (which of course wasn't even dreamed of by the time LBT 5 was created) "Meadow of the Jumping Waters") it is kind of strange that he would have explored the spot thoroughly. Oh well, he may be very inquisitive.

As for Chomper's having friends I must admit that I have not seen all TV episodes yet and from comments in some threads I deduct that at least one of the episodes shows Chomper dealing with other sharpteeth (please no spoilers if it can be helped. For the time being I hope to maintain just a little chunk of mysterious beyond yet to be explored ;)). The larger sharpteeth, in need of quantities of food which may cause them to see others of their kind as competitors rather than companions, may not be very sociable in general. It may be that they usually grow up as "lone dinosaurs" of sorts with Chomper having been introduced to a world most sharpteeth never experience. Obviously herbivore dinosaurs would try to avoid the sharpteeth (however young he may be) so it would be tricky for him to get into contact with any of them (not to mention his parents, who would probably not encourage such friendships; at least not until after LBT 5 and even then I guess it would be more like tolerating). Perhaps there is a way Chomper could establish contact to species who could feel reasonably save, namely flyers. I could imagine Chomper talking to flyers who needn't be overly scared while sitting out of reach on some high perch. The flyers in turn may be surprised and curious about a Sharptooth able to speak their language. Of course this whole idea is just something I thought up, but I could imagine that such chats with flyers might have allowed Chomper to acquire the degree of knowledge of leafeater language which I doubt he could have acquired on the first day of his live only. I do not think the words uttered by Chomper in LBT 5 were the firs he ever used since LBT 2 (in leafeater tongue). This does not necessarily mean he made any real friends.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is one way he could have learned to speak leaf eater.  Also if he was near enough to water he could have talked to some of Mo or Elsie's kind.  If those 2 can speak leaf eater maybe others of their kind can also.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I can't help but wonder what life was like on his island

Perhaps there is a way Chomper could establish contact to species who could feel reasonably save, namely flyers. I could imagine Chomper talking to flyers who needn't be overly scared while sitting out of reach on some high perch. The flyers in turn may be surprised and curious about a Sharptooth able to speak their language. Of course this whole idea is just something I thought up, but I could imagine that such chats with flyers might have allowed Chomper to acquire the degree of knowledge of leafeater language which I doubt he could have acquired on the first day of his live only.

That is one way he could have learned to speak leaf eater. Also if he was near enough to water he could have talked to some of Mo or Elsie's kind. If those 2 can speak leaf eater maybe others of their kind can also.

If Chomper had spoken flattooth to anyone after leaving the Great Valley with his parents, it would have had to have been while they were searching for their home, so these were good answers if trying to figure out how Chomper improved his flattooth at all. But personally, I don't think that Chomper was able to speak that way on the island because I noticed a comment he made. After meeting up with Littlefoot and friends again, he said: "It sure is nice to have someone to talk to who doesn't roar back." I think that if there were any others there for him to speak with in flattooth, he probably wouldn't have made that comment. He would have said something more like, "It sure is nice to have more friends to talk to who don't roar back." This is just my interpretation of an observation I had made, so I could be completely wrong here. I tried though. Later!

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
You have a good point here TFS. My view on this was probably influenced by the German translation of LBT V where the statement you referred to reads: "Es ist schˆn mal mit jemandem reden zu kˆnnen der nicht gleich zur¸ckbr¸llt" which is not absolutely exclusive of the possibility that there may have been others to talk to (not confirmative on this either). The English version leaves less room for interpretation here.
The entire idea of any other contacts of Chomper with leafeaters is of course speculative, but it would make sense as an explanation for his acquisition of leafeater language.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
He could have spoken to some swimmers like Mo or Elsie as I mentioned, if any swam near the island, or maybe some flyers who stopped to rest in trees before continuing on.  Easy enough for them to fly away if a big sharptooth comes at them, in a tree they'd see one from quite a ways away and may not be scared of Chomper who would be way under them on the ground.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
One comment I noticed Chomper making: the line that starts off the whole Friends for Dinner song is "I love having friends for dinner," which would imply it's happened before.  I think he has or had another friend besides the gang, what do you guys think?

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I don't know that I would take that song so seriously as it mentions some words that wouldn't exactly fit into Land Before Time, but it is possible. Though I imagine that Chomper wouldn't be able to make a lot of friends, since most flatteeth would avoid him. No matter if Chomper couldn't reach them, I imagine most would feel uneasy being nearby him.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
One comment I noticed Chomper making: the line that starts off the whole Friends for Dinner song is "I love having friends for dinner," which would imply it's happened before. I think he has or had another friend besides the gang, what do you guys think?
I don't know that I would take that song so seriously as it mentions some words that wouldn't exactly fit into Land Before Time, but it is possible. Though I imagine that Chomper wouldn't be able to make a lot of friends, since most flatteeth would avoid him. No matter if Chomper couldn't reach them, I imagine most would feel uneasy being nearby him.
Well, as for the second quote I posted, I completely agree. In Days of Rising Water, three flyers, Petrie's siblings (although he had at least twice that many siblings in The Great Day of the Flyers) could fly away from Chomper at any time. They have the ability to stay out of his reach whenever they choose to, but they were still very frightened of seeing him near them, especially after his toothy grin (which I believe is the scene where brekclub85's avatar is derived from, by the way). I know sharpteeth can be very scary to most types of young dinosaurs, and it seems even those that can avoid him such as flyers still fear and are uncomfortable them, making any conversation less likely.

As for the first quote I posted, I have reason to believe that he was referring to the thought of eating together, not a past experience. I remember the first time a girl my age came over to my house by herself, you know, like not with a group or anything. (She's mostly my brother's friend though.) Anyway, after hearing she was coming over, I may not have said it exactly like this, but basically, my response was, "Wow, I love having a girl my age come over here." I never had experienced it before but I had thought about it, especially after I heard that it was actually about to happen. I think Chomper was very lonely and loved the fact that he is having friends for dinner. After all, that quote is not in the past tense. If he has said, "I loved it when I had friends for dinner," then it would have guaranteed any past encounters on his home. Since the sentence was present tense though, it could have been true only at the time he said with no previous referencing involved. But I have another reason. "So, you live here?" Littlefoot asked. "Yup! Me and my mommy and daddy." He made no suggestion that he knew anyone else there. If you lived with your parents and friends in the exact same place, then somebody asked you about living there, why would you mention your family but not your friends? Most little children seem to be more excited about close friends than their parents. If he had friends there, I doubt he would have forgotten them and left them off his verbal list of accounting for the island's inhabitants. Chomper values friends too much for that. And even if he did know some guys, that island was so small that he's surely see them every day. Yet wtih the gang, he showed no sign of expecting to see anyone else around at all. I don't think he'd neglect his newer friends just to be with his old ones. And even if some creatures would come and go from the island, every character besides the rest of the gang, their families, and Mo, were terrified at the sight of Chomper just because he is a sharptooth, even though he's barely two feet tall and just a baby anyway. It isn't who he is but what he is that causes others to judge him, unfortunately. To put this simply, Chomper is so talkative about everything that it seems unlikely that any other friends he made would slip his mind to elaborate on when he talked to the gang all of the times that he did. I am not saying he was alone as a fact; I am saying that this is just my belief and I want you all to continue to see things just the way you want to since I'm not trying to "change" anyone, but simply express myself to you. I hope this made sense, but if it doesn't, it's only due to my lack of getting my point across efficiently, it wouldn't be your fault at all. I do my best to explain but it can be very hard with mere theories, no matter how strongly I feel about them. If this helped anyone, that's great. If this didn't, then I'll know that I need to work on this more. It's a win/win situation for me anyway, so you can comfortably tell me exactly how you feel about this. Later!