The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Just how big is the GV?

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've wondering just exactly how huge is the Great valley. It could be miles in diameter. What do you guys think?

Explorer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://gatewayisland.proboards.com
It must really big, indeed, as many places are shown. But I don't think it can be mapped.
A good example to see how 'great' the Great Valley is, is seeing some real valleys that loo similar in some aspects. I saw one in pictures and some others in a documentary, and, you might say its pretty big.

crazedwriter

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://crazedwriter.lbbhost.com/index.html
I'm going by that scene in the original film where Littlefoot sees the Great Valley for the first time. From Littlefoot's vantage point the GV does appear huge, so I'm guessing the GV is just as large as most well known areas, e.g., Napa, Ohio River, Somona, Hudson River, et.al.

But no vineyards or farmlands, of course!  :lol

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Malte had to create a map for Tim's RPG. He'd probably be able to answer that question better than us.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It is likely huge.  There is 1 episode where Mr. Thicknose mentions the last spot Hidden Runner was spotted was about 2 days travel from where they were, & in another episode Cera mentions the great stone walkover (a natural stone bridge) will take most of the day to get there.  

More likely it is as large as the scriptwriter needs it to be.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Just my interpretation, but I agree that indeed the Great Valley would be a rather large place. In any case I do not think that (though at that time it was certainly intended that way) the view of the Great Valley we got in the first movie was an overview of the complete Great Valley. The Valley's we have seen in the movies looked rather different from each other. For example it appears to be more rugged (with more steep rock and rocky pinnacles not just around but also within the Valley itself) in the earlier sequels than it does in the original and some of the later movie. A large Valley might also be more likely (though of course one cannot treat the matter too "scientifically") to sustain the comparatively small number of inhabitants. It might be that the Valley in itself is divided by some natural barriers (most prominent the rocks surrounding what Littlefoot saw in the original movie in case my theory of it being not the whole is true).
There are some points however which contradict the view of too large a Great Valley. It was not large enough for the swarming leafgobblers in LBT to leave anything to support the Valley dinosaurs and if there were as distinct geographical barriers in the Great Valley as I suppose the fire of LBT could not have been as destructive. Moreover it is not very likely for such a large Valley to be dependent on a single source of water (as suggested in LBT 3) but it would more likely be supplied by several more rivers and sources of water. This view is also supported by a large number of waterfalls other than the thundering falls which are shown in the movies and water holes apparently not supplied by the river that makes up for the thundering falls. There seems to be a large area one might refer to as the "outskirts" of the Great Valley which are not settled by any large dinosaurs, but which seem to be accessible both from the Great Valley and the Mysterious Beyond (which may be a reason why it is not densely settled). The Great Wall can't be as tight as suggested in LBT 2 and it it has been suggested that not lack of entrance but lack of will to enter may be what is keeping sharpteeth out of the Great Valley. Those fairly large outskirts I mentioned would be the location of Saurus Rock as well as of the water hole they found in LBT 3. I suppose the Great Valley to be large enough for Littlefoot and the others to keep discovering new corners of it for quite a while.

Littlefoot90

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://lbtwelt.npage.ch/
hi, for me the big valley is a kind of crater where and then a hole made purely hat. and in the past has wrapped one meteorite the greatest the big valley. This suspects . . ahem me it has about 40 square kilometres of diameters.
 :yes

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I agree with Kor. As far as kids watching the show and movies, I don't think it really matters how large the Great Valley is. All they need to know is that it's big enough to support all of the herds.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I suppose it doesn't "matter" in a life or death sense, nor in an appreciation of the film itself sense, however it is rather useful to know for this purpose:
http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...?showtopic=3691
 :D

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Just make it as large as you need for your script and the scenes in it and do not mention how long characters travel to get to various spots like the LBT scriptwriters do.  I can only think of 2 times when how long it takes to get somewhere was mentioned.  

Just assume the Great Valley is vaguely huge.

rosie

• Chomper
    • View Profile
It is probably the side of a big  city like New York or Dallas but I wish it was bigger like Alaska or Texas or Hawaii. It should be since there are a lot of grazing animals. They need a lot of plants to survive without any natural predators to keep their numbers down and prevent starvation. :oops

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I just assume it's as huge as the story needs it to be, vagely huge.