The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

An Odd Rumor

Raptor · 82 · 9180

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Once again about that rumor, it said that there had once been such plans while they were still making decisions about the original BUT that they had been abandoned in favor of the version of LBT we know. This may well be true. NOBODY ever claimed that the movie as we know it suggests the Great Valley to be heaven or the maincharacters to be dead.

RFZT

• Chomper
    • View Profile
A lot of people have said things I were going to say. So, I guess I'll be repeating a few things.

Somewhere I once read that the Great Valley wasn't supposed to literally be heaven, but alluding to or metaphorically heaven. I, too, have heard the rumor that at first the company was going to present the Valley as heaven, but that Lucas and Spielberg decided that would be a scene that would "frighten or possibly even cause psychological damage to young children" so they tweaked it. (This would be one of the disturbing scenes because of the "Heaven = the kids died" equation.)

Just watching the movie now I can see how the GV can be an allusion to heaven, and not the actual thing. I don't think in the released movie the company intended for the GV to BE heaven.

Something gets at me though. I once saw a preview of LBT on YouTube, and I noticed a small snippet that wasn't in the released film. It's at the part at the very end, where they kids are all in that group and they're reaching up toward the sky with Petrie hanging on to Littlefoot. I could swear in the preview they were at that part and then Littlefoot said something like "Now we'll always be together." And something really nagged at me there. The way he said it made me feel like they had died. And then I thought about the rumor.

I KNOW that line wasn't in the movie. So my belief is that the company thought about presenting the Great Valley as heaven, but after deciding it would be too disturbing, it was changed and they took out that line Littlefoot said. Basically, I don't think they meant for the GV to be real heaven.

Zenoah

• Spike
    • View Profile
I dont think I've seen that trailer. Could you post it for us?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Here is a link to the video clip which had been posted in the Outcut scenes section. The credit for posting it there in the first place goes to Zilla.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
O hey, that's right... I never noticed that before until you pointed it out so clearly RFZT... That made me wondering.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
To me it just means they'll always be together in the Great Valley now that they got there and they are very close friends due to what they went through to get there.  I don't see any hint that they are dead and in heaven.  

I won't believe the heaven idea unless Don Bluth himself told me that that was his idea or some of the script writers had that in the first draft but it was changed later.  Just me.

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
No I ever heard such thing, but that is ridiculous.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There is no official basis whatsoever for the rumor, so a rumor it remains. But it is a rumor that would make more sense to me than many others. I would not go so far as to call it ridiculous. With the many statements in the GOF which can be interpreted in such a manner, the awareness that dinosaurs are extinct and the setting of the original movie was likely to refer to that extinction (no sequels planned at that time), and with death being a topic in kids movies before (most notably in "All dogs go to heaven", I do not think the rumor to be so totally incredible.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
All Dogs Go To Heaven also had a different them than The Land Before Time. The point of LBT was that you have to get along and work together with the people around you in order to make a better future. If they're dead: no future.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
If they're dead: no future.
LBT doesn't go into details of what happens after death, but there is a rather strong spiritual element in the original movie with Littlefoot's mother taking a rather direct influence on Littlefoot even after her death. Of course one could interpret it all to be just a trick of Littlefoot's mind, but personally I don't think it looks that way.
As I said before I have absolutely no clue if there is any substance to that rumor. It may well be entirely made up. All I say is that the rumor does not seem as unthinkable to me as some here may see it as there are many scenes that could have been interpreted accordingly if the decision had been made to make the Great Valley a kind of heaven rather than a real place. I never ever questioned the fact that it is a real place in the plot of the movie in the way it was released; it is not utterly impossible though that a different approach may have been considered but given up in favor of the story as we know it.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
The future is for the living, Malte. Period. I maintain that they are still very alive at the end in order for the theme of working together for a greater future to work. Besides, how much could Mama Longneck have had to do up there if she kept coming back to guide Littlefoot.

I think this whole "The Great Valley is heaven and they're dead at the end" is just people looking too deeply into something and coming out with wild ideas. I mean, come on, I've met people who compare Frodo from The Lord of the Rings to the terrorists who caused 9/11 because of the decided upon method of defeating Sauron (sneaking in). If there is a twisted angle to take, someone will take it.

Plus, this is a family movie. Even with Bluth's intentions of making this a longer and more intense family film than the norm, I think he was only going to go so far with how dark it could get before reaching a finely laid out line.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The future is for the living, Malte. I maintain that they are still very alive at the end in order for the theme of working together for a greater future to work.
Please, please read what I am writing. I Never claimed that LBT as it is suggests the Great Valley to be heaven; or that the characters died in the first movie. If you read the beginning of this thread you will find that NOBODY ever said that with regard to the movie as it is. All that this rumor was about was that there was an alternative concept in which the Great Valley was presented in that way. It is very obvious that this concept (if it ever existed) was abandoned in favor of the Great Valley as a real place and all of the main characters surviving the movie.
All that I did say is that unlike some other rumors this one may be a bit more credible judging from the facts given in previous posts already.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I didn't say you said that. I wrote in those comments to illustrate that I think the idea is complete poppycock and was never intended at any point and that there's no possibility of it ever ocurring in my mind. I should probably have picked different words. Sorry.

Bruton the Iguanodon

When exactly would they have died? :huh:

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon, Dec 29 2011 on  04:26 AM
When exactly would they have died? :huh:

The "heaven ending" was a half-baked idea. Evidence for it being pursued to any degree by the animators is fragmentary at best. Perhaps a scene where the Gang's death would be implied had never even been drawn. The movie as it is certainly doesn't show any point at which it could be inferred that the kids died.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Thanks. Yeah...it just doesn't seem right.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I actually think that would have been even better ending than the real one because the ending would have been more original and given the tone of the film, the rumored ending would be more logical. I even believe that the rumor is true because there are so many signs of it.

First Littlefoot in depression, then his mother's ghost appears to guide him, then a tunnel that leads him to paradise and finally the changing of environment in colour and the final quote by Littlefoot.

Because of these reasons i believe the rumor is true even if Don Bluth has forbidden it.

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sovereign,Dec 30 2011 on  03:43 AM
I even believe that the rumor is true because there are so many signs of it.

First Littlefoot in depression, then his mother's ghost appears to guide him, then a tunnel that leads him to paradise and finally the changing of environment in colour and the final quote by Littlefoot.

Because of these reasons i believe the rumor is true even if Don Bluth has forbidden it.
But that wouldn't make sense because in the original order of scenes the mothers ghost appears earlier in the movie.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
That's true, but in the cut version i must say the rumored ending makes the most sense. Pikkutassu, I know this should go to other discussion, but if you have seen the uncut film maybe there is something more you could tell about missing scenes?

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
I remember many years back reading this topic on IMDB; it was even flat out debunked by a member who had been one of the animators on the film (he had some interesting posts about production, I recall, but I don't think he ever mentioned anything about deleted scenes)!

Someone on T
vTropes even wrote a whole theory that the film was intended to end this way, and each character/event is an allegory for religious followers and the afterlife.
Read it here (it's halfway down the page). Interesting, but certainly not the intended direction of the film. Besides, as somebody pointed out, if they're all dead, why isn't Littlefoot's mother with them(although someone else jokingly suggested that the GOF were in Hell; hence the music)?

I once toyed with the idea of writing a fan-fic of sorts vaguely based on this idea - it would have been many many years after LBT; at the K-T Event. Similar setup; disaster strikes, youngsters are thrown together, except each would be dead (without realising it) and each ends up on their own at some point; confronting a manifestation of their greatest personal failing/fear. If they manage to defeat it, they move on to a spiritual "Great Valley" of sorts.

Basically, almost every character would be picked off, and then the last surviving one would see something that would prove to them they were dead, and stand up to confront the manifestation or whatever, at which point they would move on (not intended to be religous or anything, just a cheesy "twist" ending).

Problem was, in trying to write this I ended up with too many plot ideas and problems(Would "spirits" appear to the dead characters? Would characters who were beaten by the manifestation be lost forever? Should one character survive; perhaps a mammal?), and the whole thing was a mess that didn't make sense.