The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

An observation

raga · 40 · 7816

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
A couple weeks ago my girlfriend wanted to watch the original LBT so I put on my laptop and we watched it together.  Now my favorite character is Cera so I was hoping she would like her too.  Unfortunately I never realized how much of a... of a... well b***h she is in the first movie.  They really do her no justice.  I'm actually more shocked at myself for never realizing how horrible she is made out to be.  Think about the movie, does she actually do a single nice thing during it?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Her attitude is understandable in the first film.  She hasn't gotten to experience being with anyone but her own kind so far.  The only thing she has to go on is her father's beliefs.  It's no wonder she's so horrible. :p

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Well, she does save the day in the end by providing the extra grunt the gang needs to push the rock off the cliff. It's also worth noting that she appears genuinely sorrowful when the gang believes Petrie to have gone down with the sharptooth.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
She is overcoming strong prejudices which she did not just "pick up" (as in case of Littlefoot) but which she was actively taught and which she had thoroughly accepted. This is a very difficult thing to do, especially for one as proud as Cera.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
All I can say is that she has improved a LOT throughout the series.  She's perhaps the most improved character as far as I'm concerned.  That's all I can say now without blowing smoke.  I hate how she's treated negatively by many fans :anger  :anger!

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Oh I know she proves herself through the sequels and I understand the reasoning, but try and consider it as if you were and outsider.  Would you be so understanding?

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
I don't know, i kinda missed Cera's original attitude in sequels.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I like the fact that Cera has changed in the sequels and shows her sweet side now and again.  And I fully understand why she was the way she was in the first movie.  I don't begrudge her for her father's wrong teachings.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Cera's my least favorite character, and probably for that reason. But she has changed throughout the sequels. And it seems that it's her father's fault, but, he too changes, especially after LBT 11.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
She does change quite a bit over the series indeed.  Some of the other characters have changed a bit or just slightly, but often not as much as Cera has overall.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: raga,Jun 29 2009 on  03:10 PM
Oh I know she proves herself through the sequels and I understand the reasoning, but try and consider it as if you were and outsider.  Would you be so understanding?
I always was an outsider, and I do think I would be just as understanding.  I've always been the type to see the positive in others and get to know them better before jumping to conclusions about them.  Given that Cera was the outsider of the Gang in the original, I can totally sympathize with her character.  Bein' misunderstood can really hurt at times, and some just grow to feel bitter about it.  In addition to that, she was perhaps in her own way following "Survival of the Fittest".  She most likely felt that acting tough would keep her safe and not look vulnerable or weak.  It's a matter of opinion I suppose, but to me, Cera is anything but a b****.

metadude1234

• Banana Egg
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
in my opinion, Cera is a B****!!! especially in the first movie!!!
facebook.com/venomwargreymon

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
All I can say to that is to be careful with character-bashing.  There was an interesting topic on here a long time ago, and it was locked 'cuz somebody referred to Ducky as a b****.  As for my feelings, I'm offended by such a statement but ya have the right to your opinion also.  No further comments at this time.

EDIT: I'm actually glad Cera is the way she is.  Observing her throughout the years played a major factor in helping me finally grow a pair and start standing up for myself.  Sure, she could be nicer and undoubtedly will be when she matures, but I would not like her any other way.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I probably explained my view of Cera like 20 times already, but I'll say it again:

I'm not in anyway a fan of Cera. I never was and I don't think I ever will be. I just don't like her very much. I remember I used to HATE Cera. Like REALLY REALLY LOATHED her because I just needed something to hate. :p She was mean to my more favorite characters (i.e Little Foot, Petrie, Pterano, etc) and I just wish someone could put her in her place.

You know though, I find the characters or people that I don't like very much have something in them that I can find in me that I don't like. Like her, I can get VERY stubborn and I felt like I have to protect myself most of the time by acting a certain way. Not so much mean, but just "tough". Some people thought they were helping me with some things when really they weren't at all, they were just making the situation worse. So Cera is a character I have learned to love but I still get annoyed with her during her tude. Like being mean to Little Foot and Petrie.

I know she's only a kid, but she's a bully basically all through the series. She CAN be compassionate, but it's hard for her to show it.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Actually, I think that was one of the overall points in the movie.  Cera who isn't very nice to any of the gang, possibly due to her ''kind'' reaction to other dinosaurs I got the feeling that the others (with the exception of Spike) were more tolerant of each other than the ''three horns''.  As the gang's journey progresses, Cera begins to tolerate and eventually become friends with each of the members.  That was one of the whole point; character progression.  Not saying that she was very nice at the end.  What I mean is that she had changed to become more tolerant.  

That should make some sort of sense.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
She changes over the course of the movies to an extent.  It makes sense she'd be at her worst in the first movie.

Ducky & Petrie's kind/ parents, seemed very open about associating with others who are not their kind.  Littlefoot's mother seemed to think it was normal to not associate with non long necks, though she seems to not have been a speciest like Cera's dad is.  

Littlefoot had some of this, but he was able to fairly quickly loose it, which likely shows his mother and grand parents were likely not speciests, just didn't associate with non longnecks since that seems like the more  normal way of doing things.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Perhaps it makes a bit more sense for species like Ducky's and Petrie's not to be as racist as species who could "take care of themselves" in case of a fight. I notice that all the species we have seen displaying racism (mainly threehorns, but also longnecks, and spiketails) are the kind that might be able to take on a sharptooth. Species like Ducky's or Petrie's on the other hand would rather have to run in case of a sharptooth attack and may therefore be less racist towards other species if there is any chance to get any protection from them. In case of the flyers, the racism of the other kinds may not be quite as pronounced (this is must my guess though) as a moving herd offering protection to a flyer might benefit from that flyer's ability to scout ahead or warn of approaching danger or anything like that.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Jul 5 2009 on  11:53 PM
...somebody referred to Ducky as a b****. 

<_<

<_<

:mad

Anyway... I don't know about how much more negative she is in the first movie compared to the sequels. Like I was watching 5 last night, and the way she acts to Chomper...It just seems that every movie she learns a lesson and stops all the crap about being mean to everyone. But in the very next movie, she goes back to telling everyone off.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
As I've said many times before, I'm glad she's made to be a tough female character.  Quite frankly, I get sick of seeing so many female stereotypes in entertainment.  It seems, in American society, that if you're a female and you're not a passive wuss who only does "feminine" activities, then you're a b****.  That is so wrong it makes me wanna puke :x!  I love Cera's outspoken personality, and her tendency to deviate from bein' just another female stereotype.  Also, I can understand why she fels she has to come across as tough or "mean".  She's just protecting her vulnerability, and there's nothin' wrong with that.  Anyone who has ever been an outsider or bullied by others would know how awful it feels to feel vulnerable and helpless <_<.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: metadude1234,Jul 6 2009 on  12:40 AM
in my opinion, Cera is a B****!!! especially in the first movie!!!
I disagree with that statement, to be honest. As stated already, in the first movie, she was still overcoming prejudice she was brought up with. In the later installments, she becomes gentler, though still retains a tough attitude. That doesn't make her...that word you used.