The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

An observation

raga · 40 · 7815

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I notice that my posts in this thread may not have made my view on the original statements sufficiently clear. I am really glad they made Cera the way she is rather than coming up with some clischÈ creation like another Mary Sue or a "helpless female".
It seems, in American society, that if you're a female and you're not a passive wuss who only does "feminine" activities, then you're a b****. That is so wrong it makes me wanna puke
I understand your point very well, but alas it is not a problem of American society only and certainly not of females only. Being a single male and speaking up in favor of equal treatment often seems to be sufficient proof of any male being gay these days :rolleyes:
Anyway I'm getting off topic.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I definitely believe that Cera was made out to be the way she was in the first movie because she was the character that brought out the conflict within the main characters. If you look at Ducky, Petrie, and Spike, none of them would ever discriminate against another because they were different. Also, on another note, Cera is the closest to Littlefoot's age, so it would make more sense that she were the "dinosaur prejudice" because a much younger dinosaur like Ducky would probably not argue with an older dinosaur like Littlefoot. Hopefully this makes sense, but basicly I think Cera had to be the way she was.

I think what really caused Cera to change the most was Chomper. They met Chomper not long after they first arrived at the Great Valley, and although she showed high animosity towards him at first, throughout LBT II she becomes more accepting of him as a friend. Of course, her tension towards him is revived in LBT V since he becomes a little older, but again towards the end of the movie she becomes more accepting until she fully considers him a good friend. I think this was the turning point in her change because if she could learn to not discriminate against a sharptooth, then she could be accepting of practically any dinosaur.

Finally, I think Cera's personallity is meant to portray a "nice bad girl". She definitely has the bad girl attitude, as she displays it quite frequently, but it does not overshadow the nice girl sensitive side she has inside. I think she is a very dynamic character and is probably one of the most important characters because of her personality, along with her change and the beliefs she was brought up to believe.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Cera is the closest to Littlefoot's age, so it would make more sense that she were the "dinosaur prejudice" because a much younger dinosaur like Ducky would probably not argue with an older dinosaur like Littlefoot. Hopefully this makes sense, but basicly I think Cera had to be the way she was.
The suggestion of Cera as the oldest wasn't brought up until LBT 5 though and has been debated ever since. If the order of the hatching in the original movie plays a role in this question then actually Ducky would be the oldest.
Personally I don't think Ducky would be significantly younger than Littlefoot and Cera, but rather that her kind is just not as ready to take on prejudices or biases as some of the more defensible kinds (threehorns, longnecks, and spiketails) are. There is nothing to suggest that at any age Ducky would through her personality or through teaching by her parents have adopted any prejudices similarly strong as those of Cera or Littlefoot's mother (Littlefoot himself never seems to have adopted them with heart and mind).
One point that contradicts my view of less prejudices among the not so defensible kind is the outcut oasis scene in which members of Ducky's kind don't want to allow anyone of a different kind to drink from their water. The scene never appeared in the movie though, so Ducky's kind, no matter the age, has remained rather unburdened by prejudices so far.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Not sure if there’s much I can add to this topic, and I don’t consider myself to be a particularly keen judge of character anyway, but after considering numerous details of Cera’s behavior in the first movie, I have come to two conclusions. Firstly, I think that Cera mainly acts rude and arrogant to protect her pride as a threehorn. (We all know how important that is to her.) Furthermore, maybe I’m just interpreting the movie and Cera’s actions differently from other people (or perhaps I’m just outrageously oblivious), but outside of insulting Littlefoot and his mother and being seemingly apathetic towards Ducky, Spike, and Petrie when she leads them into the Burning Mountains, I really don’t see her as having been all that bad. :blink: (Stubborn, proud, boastful, and rash she may be, but certainly not deserving of a label like “b****.”)

When Littlefoot first meets Cera, she appears to have no qualms about playing with him. (Granted, we will never know exactly how the pair would have interacted had Cera’s father not prevented it; for all we know, he may have inadvertently saved Littlefoot from one nasty head-on collision. :lol) Even after taunting Littlefoot by repeating her father’s statement, “threehorns never play with longnecks” (my opinion is that she was just being impressionable), she hardly objects to playing with them in the hoppers’ pond. It is only after Cera is separated from her family that she refuses to associate with Littlefoot, and even that doesn’t last long.

I have always been disappointed that we never really got to see Cera’s (or Spike’s, or even Petrie’s, for that matter) “initiation” into the gang (if you get what I’m saying). But although she appears to largely keep her distance from the others for much of the journey, it’s obvious that she would rather travel with them than adhere to traditional threehorn doctrine and go it alone. (At the very least, she is accepting that it is safer to stay in a group, even if the other members of that group lack horns. :p)

More significantly, when Cera is woken by Sharptooth’s roar the morning after sleeping in the footprint with the rest of the gang, the first thing she does is attempt to wake Littlefoot. If she had been solely interested in self-preservation, one would have expected her to immediately and silently race off, leaving the others to sate Sharptooth’s appetite. The fact that she bothered to raise an alarm says to me that she cared enough to not want such a fate to befall them.

It could also be argued that her apparent apathy for Petrie, Ducky and Spike while traveling through the Burning Mountains is attributable to her being angry after her squabble with Littlefoot (who appeared equally unconcerned for the others’ safety when they left to follow Cera); so much so that she didn’t notice that Petrie had fallen off her or that Spike and Ducky had been left behind. (I’m not entirely sure if this interpretation makes sense, but I thought I’d share it just the same.)

While my early memories of watching the original The Land Before Time are dim, I don’t remember ever disliking Cera (though her father genuinely scared me). Somehow, even compared to the sequels, her behavior in the original movie never struck me as being all that horrible.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Daddytops2009

• Ducky
    • View Profile

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Jul 11 2009 on  10:59 PM
As I've said many times before, I'm glad she's made to be a tough female character.  Quite frankly, I get sick of seeing so many female stereotypes in entertainment.  It seems, in American society, that if you're a female and you're not a passive wuss who only does "feminine" activities, then you're a b****.  That is so wrong it makes me wanna puke :x!  I love Cera's outspoken personality, and her tendency to deviate from bein' just another female stereotype.  Also, I can understand why she fels she has to come across as tough or "mean".  She's just protecting her vulnerability, and there's nothin' wrong with that.  Anyone who has ever been an outsider or bullied by others would know how awful it feels to feel vulnerable and helpless <_<.
Wow...such Passion for one Character.  And you know what I feel the same way about everything you said.  In fact I to don't see why most fans would show discrimination against Cera especially why they call her a B####.  They just don't understand what Cera has been through.  I see Great amount of improvement from her myself.  

All I can say is...Cera will ALWAYS be my favorite Character for the Franchise because she changed alot and deserve some credit. beside;  most every TV show must have there Aggressive Characters to keep the show balanced.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Like many, I'm not particularly fond of Cera, but I can also understand the rational behind her attitude and personality. I think that she just takes after her dad, and that his heavy influence on her in her early years did not help matters.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It does make sense since her dad and mother had all the time from when she hatched till she was separated from them in the earthquake seen in the first movie to influence her, and that would be a lot of influence. I doubt that could be fully shaken off.  Though lessened perhaps over time with the added influence of her friends and Tria.  Tricia will likely not be influenced as deeply as Cera is since from the start she has other influenced then just her father.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
What does she do in each movie? I mean, what is the extent of good/bad things that she has done? (You may need to refresh my memory, I haven't seen the films in a while)

In the first film, well, we all know what happened there. Although I imagine her heading off to cry may also have been guilt for insulting someone who came back for her. Actually, I think this is the worst thing Cera has ever done, and I doubt she would ever do anything like this again.

In 2, 3, and 4, she seems to be mostly nice, with occasional outbursts of pride. 5 & 6 she appears to be just grouchy. Come to think of it, in most of the movies her behavior has remained consistent, and despite her nasty demeanour in parts of the first film, I think she has completely reformed, and just retains some aspects of her angry side, mostly out of pride, which is still quite an improvement.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
One thing I have often been wondering about is the scene in LBT 4 in which Cera flatly refuses to believe or help Ali to save Littlefoot. One of the things I have been wondering about is if Cera REALLY believed that Ali was lying or if perhaps she was actually quickly making up her mind for the later great entrance the moment Ali said Littlefoot was in danger. Neither seems very plausible.
What if Ducky, Petrie, and Spike had in that moment followed Cera rather than Ali? And what if they had and Cera indeed did believe Ali? In that case Cera would have had to make a rather strange turnabout.
Her motives about Ali are also an interesting question, was it mainly her annoyance about Ali's being scared about them (pretty much the same kind of racism which Cera was brought up to believe in though in Cera's case it was more the "we are better than the others" rather than the "the others are dangerous" kind of racism)? Or was it the same kind of jealousy which she showed towards Mo in LBT 9? The later seems more likely but she showed very clearly that she had overcome it in the scene where she makes room for Ali to lie beside Littlefoot when they lie down to rest in the field of night flowers (though Ali could have laid down on the other side of Littlefoot just as well).
What if Ali's initial reaction towards Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike had not been this "fear"? Was it actually really fear or was that fear on Ali's part just a pretense to get Littlefoot all for herself? Whatever else Petrie may say, he and the others did not come across as particularly scary and one would expect a migrating longneck who has experienced the hardships of the land of mists and the mysterious beyond to have a bit more backbone.
Anyway, I reckon I am straying too far from the topic now.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Her motives about Ali are also an interesting question, was it mainly her annoyance about Ali's being scared about them (pretty much the same kind of racism which Cera was brought up to believe in though in Cera's case it was more the "we are better than the others" rather than the "the others are dangerous" kind of racism)? Or was it the same kind of jealousy which she showed towards Mo in LBT 9?

I'd say her motive is a mix of what you mentioned Malte
refering to the 1st point I'd rather say she didn't like Ali since she's a longneck( so she's not a threehorn like her( her father especially dislikes longnecks btw)). Since Cera is proud of herself she rather made fun of Ali being afraid of the gang instead of feeling annoyed because of that :)
In spite of the fact that Cera hates longnecks she befriended with Littlefoot in the original. Ali was a big rival of Cera since both of them wanted Littlefoots attention. While Ali wanted to play only with Littlefoot Cera wanted him to play with the gang. So it's more than understandible that jealousy is the much bigger motive of Cera :yes

What if Ali's initial reaction towards Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike had not been this "fear"? Was it actually really fear or was that fear on Ali's part just a pretense to get Littlefoot all for herself?

That's a good question! I think that it quite could be just a pretence, but since the movie should teach the children, for whom LBT is basically made ;), that all kinds are equal I'd say it was more
likely her fear than a pretence to play with her new friend Littlefoot.

Whatever else Petrie may say, he and the others did not come across as particularly scary and one would expect a migrating longneck who has experienced the hardships of the land of mists and the mysterious beyond to have a bit more backbone.

I never thought of that yet :D Now that I think about that I wonder about Alis fear, too. She actually should have some experiences the gang hadn't made so far, but it's exactly the reverse   :huh:
Inactive, probably forever.

Dino-Mario

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Cera has the biggest character development in the whole franchise.Sure,she starts out as a full time jerk,but gets better and better through the series.She's now like Rainbow Dash when it comes to her behavior,i'd say.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I certainly don't think of Cera as a jerk, but she does have serious attitude. Some of which may in fact be defined as problematic because of her upbringing (just watching Topps and Cera arguing is enough :o)
but despite her overprotective, narrowminded, rigid father, Cera's turned out quite awesome^^ spending time wiht the Gang helped her, too.
Plus, bad girls rock XDD
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Hexadecimal

• Ruby
    • View Profile
What got me was in the first film was when Cera called Little Foot's mother a "Stupid long-neck" knowing full well that she was dead and had saved her life. That I just couldn't forgive.

It's a shame that it sounds like her redemption would've come in one of the scenes that was cut since she really doesn't get much of one in what was released.

I can, however, admire that she's yet another Bluth female that goes outside what you traditionally see in kids' movies.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's a shame that it sounds like her redemption would've come in one of the scenes that was cut since she really doesn't get much of one in what was released.
Well, I didn't know there was a scene where she actually says 'sorry' to Littlefoot... I doubt a scene like an apologise of Cera would have been cutted anyway

Hexadecimal

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Jun 21 2013 on  08:40 AM
Well, I didn't know there was a scene where she actually says 'sorry' to Littlefoot... I doubt a scene like an apologise of Cera would have been cutted anyway
I'm referring to the part where she sees how foolish it is when they see the two dinosaur groups that won't share their food or water with on another. It sounded like that was where she started to realize how wrong her prejudice was, which would have most definitely made me view her more favorably.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The oasis scene (based on a book while there is no evidence it has ever been actually filmed) is set before Cera's insult to Littlefoot's mother however. I never heard about any actual scene or planning of such a scene in which Cera appologized or took back what she said about Littlefoot's mother. Are there any sources concerning such a scene?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm referring to the part where she sees how foolish it is when they see the two dinosaur groups that won't share their food or water with on another. It sounded like that was where she started to realize how wrong her prejudice was, which would have most definitely made me view her more favorably.
Ah okay :) I know this scene existed...

Hexadecimal

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jun 21 2013 on  02:36 PM
The oasis scene (based on a book while there is no evidence it has ever been actually filmed) is set before Cera's insult to Littlefoot's mother however. I never heard about any actual scene or planning of such a scene in which Cera appologized or took back what she said about Littlefoot's mother. Are there any sources concerning such a scene?
I think I'm being unclear.

It's just that I'd heard about this being supposedly one of the cut scenes but didn't know where exactly it was supposed to take place in the movie. No, I never heard of Cera ever apologizing, but I would've appreciated a scene like this where she at least starts to see the error of her ways.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah close to the end she stars to be a bit nicer and she is more caring at the end and she shares and is now friends with everyone even tho they're different. I'm glad bluth touched on these subjects back than. It was a good thing to teach kids that life isn't all fun and games. That life throws a lot of darkness your way and you need to be prepared for it. Bluth did a very good job on making that clear in this movie. And teaching kids that being racist is a very wrong thing to do. And you should accept everyone no matter what they are or have. Such a good movie with great themes in it.