The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Out of all the episodes, lbt 9 was the worst in my opinion.  It was a great story though.  The new computer graphics used were beyond terrible and they didn't match anything around them.  Cera pushing the log was the worst though.  It looked so dumb, I burst out laughing.  There are also many inconsistancies in this sequal.  I counted 68 inconsistancies and errors.  I won't mention them here cuz I don't want to ruin the story for you.  Also, in about 15% of the film, the characters looked out of proportion.  It's almost like they had a deadline and had no way to draw the rest of the movie so they replaced parts with computer effects such as the water and logs and other things.  I do not enjoy watching this sequal because of the inconsistancies and the horrible graphics.  This sequal would be my favorite if they would redo it without theses computer effects and edited it a little.  What do you think of lbt 9?

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Um, first off, don't call the movies "episodes," or else people will get confused with the TV show. Secondly, what movie was #9? Was that the Tinysaurus one?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Secondly, what movie was #9? Was that the Tinysaurus one?
LBT 9 was "Journey to Big Water", the film that introduced Mo.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
At least Mo had a cool voice.  B)  I think they were just starting to really work with computer effects in this film, so it should be no surprise how out of whack they look when placed beside the 2-D cell stuff (the water most noticably).

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It may not be so farfetched that the creators rushed LBT 9.  According to the back of the cases I still own of the movies, LBT 8 was brought out in 2001, while LBT 9 was brought out in 2002.  Only one year.

However, for a rushed piece of work, it's quite good.  They did use several different shortcuts to bring LBT 9 out.  Like using similar backgrounds from earlier movies or at least only slightly changed ones, using the same old score since the original, using a simple storyline that easily flowed, etc.

Despite all this though, it has become one of the most favorited Sequals of the Gang of Five Community. (Mine especially. ;))

I must say, for a rushed piece of work, the creators knew what they were doing. :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
It may not be so farfetched that the creators rushed LBT 9. According to the back of the cases I still own of the movies, LBT 8 was brought out in 2001, while LBT 9 was brought out in 2002. Only one year.

Actually, this is not the only case of an LBT movie being released only a year later. Land Before Time 2 was released in 1994, and Land Before Time 3 came out in 1995, and Land Before Time 4 came out in 1996, and Land Before Time 5 came out in 1997, and so forth. Most of the LBT sequels were released only one year apart.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Oh gee, hardly a statement I could agree with.
Out of all the episodes, lbt 9 was the worst in my opinion.
In my opinion LBT 9 was one of the best sequels produced by Charles Grossvenor (rivaled only by LBT 5) and the definitely the best one we have seen in recent times.
It was a great story though.
In my opinion it was not the story which made LBT 9 great though. The story is basically as simple as a story can get. Somebody far from home fiends friends who bring him back in spite of the hardships and dangers of the journey. To make it a bit more of a plot there is a bit of conflict within the group (mainly Cera vs. Mo) and some subplot elements like being bored for being alone. There is nothing nearly as complex in the plot of LBT 9 as in almost every single other Grossvenor LBT movie.
The new computer graphics used were beyond terrible and they didn't match anything around them.
Yet another point I have to disagree with. While there were some examples of poor graphics in LBT 9 (the log you mentioned) the overall work with computer graphics was much better than in any previous LBT movies and there were no blunders as bad as some cases from the later movies. The first 3D animation we ever saw in LBT was in the prologue of LBT 7 and it just didn't fit in with the rest of the animation at all. The same goes for many 3D animations in LBT 10 (e.g. when Littlefoot is climbing up the tree). There is nothing nearly as bad in LBT 9. They made a much better job in blending photo realistic skies with the rest of the landscapes (no more dark green skies such as those we had in LBT 8) and the water too, in spite of being photorealistic, fit in quite well. Light reflections on the water surface etc. came across quite nice. The thunderstorm during which the final fight with the swimming sharptooth takes place is another example of very good animation work in LBT 9.
Mr. Grossvenor also didn't use strange color effects in LBT 9. I already mentioned the skies, but it should also be noted that for once everything and everyone didn't turn red in case of danger (one of the Grossvenor effects which seems to be really silly to me). As if to compensate for that Mo is about as shrill colored as shrill colored can be. When I first saw the cover of LBT 9 before the release of the movie I was horrified. "Pokemon invasion to LBT!" was my first though. I was surprised when I watched the movie and didn't feel bothered by his shrill colors at all (maybe Chomper had done his job to accustom me to strange colored dinosaurs).
There are also many inconsistancies in this sequal. I counted 68 inconsistancies and errors.
The major inconsistancy in my opinion was the use of that little landbreak as a barrier preventing Littlefoot and the others from getting home. Sure enough Petrie should have been able to fly across at a higher altitude and if they have a flyer who can carry Littlefoot, Cera, and Spike down from Threehorn peak (something so unrealistic that I consider it an inconsistancy of LBT 7 rather than one of LBT 9) there is no reason why that flyer shouldn't get them across that little landbreak. It might have been better to develope a plot without that earthquake supposedly forcing Littlefoot and the others to bring Mo home (no doubt there was no need for them to go all the way to the big water in order to get home again). There are much worse blunders in other LBT movies tearing the consistency not just of the respective movie, but also of earlier movies apart (LBT 10 being the worst example). Some of the blunders of LBT 9 have been there before, so if we were willing to take them back then, why would it be impossible to accept them now (e.g. Petrie could have flown over the Big Water in LBT 5 but he didn't for pretty much the same reasons for which he was unable to fly accross the landbreak in LBT 9).
Also, in about 15% of the film, the characters looked out of proportion.
There are scenes with characters looking out of proportion in every single movie. If there are so many cases as you claim (15%) you can undoubtedly provide many screenshots of the respective scenes, can't you?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
There are scenes with characters looking out of proportion in every single movie. If there are so many cases as you claim (15%) you can undoubtedly provide many screenshots of the respective scenes, can't you?

Yeah.  I can.  I just don't want to upset anyone by ruining the movie for them.  When I mentioned specific errors before, Petrie got a little annoyed with me.  If you want, I could take the screenshots and put them into a compressed archive and post the download link here so people can decide weather or not to download the images so if I ruin the movie for them, it'll be their fault for downloading it, not mine.  I just don't want people to get mad at me.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Oh that.  That was more for those who haven't seen the films yet and might be reading the topics or really enjoy a film and care not about the errors.  I've seen them already and without copies to watch I'm not concerned whether I know about errors or not.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
When I said 10-15% of the movie, that doesn't mean there are billions of unique scenes with out of proportion characters.  There are a lot of them though but they are not very unique,  Here's one example:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This one where Ducky is huge has probably 120 frames but they are only slightly different from each other.  You can only tell their differences well by creating a gif like this.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Bt the way, there are 11 frames in this gif.  I couldn't get it to freeze the screen very often.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That's out of proportion

I know.  That's the point.  These are origional snapshots from lbt 9.  If Ducky was really this size in other scenes, she'd be much taller than Spikes head and easily reaching to the tip of Cera's horn.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
There are similar cases in every single LBT movie. In LBT 3 we Ducky fitting comfortably on Littlefoot's head with Petrie sitting beside her, while in other scenes she reaches up to Littlefoot's knee or shoulder. This is not a particular LBT 9 phenomena. LBT 9 lasts about 72 minutes I think. 15% would make almost 11 minutes of oversized Duckys and undersized Littlefeet. I don't think one could find such a continuity of characters out of proportion. Yet if indeed they are "out of proportion" for such considerable spans of time we might start to wonder which movie or which scene is defining the "accurate" size of the LBT characters anyway. I still don't see LBT 9 being any worse about varying the characters' size than the other sequels.
Another good point in favor of LBT 9 is the swimming Sharptooth who ranks among the most impressive Sharpteeth we have seen since the one of the original movie. With many of Grosvenor's sharpteeth being particularly harmless it was quite refreshing to see a sharptooth who looked like he could bite. For the first time in quite a while we had a really emotional scene in which a character was percieved death.
The music of LBT 9 too has often received positive responses by fans.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The music of LBT 9 too has often received positive responses by fans.

I loved all of the songs in lbt 9.  There is usually one I don't really like that much in every sequal but this is not the case in lbt 9.  

As for this sort of thing appearing in other sequals, I never really noticed this before.

Here's another error.  The area around Mo's eye is origionally the pinkish color but on one of the scene's it was colored purple.

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Man, STOP pointing out errors in the movie! There are tons of coloring mistakes, of size changes, in every single animated piece ever made.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sorry.  Would it be all right if I keep making these things and post a download link here so you can decide weather or not to look at them?

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
I guess. It's up to you. I mean, I could just not look at this thread anymore or something. Sorry if I sounded snappish in that last post of mine.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
No.  You shouldn't have to do that.  Besides, there could be more things besides the mention of errors.  After the topic is just LBT 9, not errors in LBT 9. :lol

From now on, I'll just post download links here instead of the actual photo's/GIF's.