The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What can't you live without?

Petrie. · 20 · 2648

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Say your house burned down (heaven forbid) and you lost your music collection...what would you be distraught / losing sleep over because you need that music to be at your side?

I can't live without all of these:

Pocahontas {Alan Menken} - wonderful music, like in a musical

The Secret of NIMH {Jerry Goldsmith} - dark, mysterious, you'd never know it was from an animated film

Spirited Away {Joe Hisaishi} - got to love Chihiro's piano theme

Watership Down {Mike Batt} - very energetic orchestral music at times; music is much better than the tv series which was "cartoonified" and watered down

Oklahoma {Richard Rodgers} - the original musical :D

Dinotopia {Trevor Jones} - impressive brass numbers; music is much better than the series

Watership Down {Angela Morley} - exceedingly rare + hard to get ahold of, flows with the movie very well, sad and upbeat when it needed to be

Jurassic Park {John Williams} - the dinosaur movie of growing up, and hey, its John Williams

The Land Before Time {James Horner} - needs no explanation  :lol:

Flute {Lifescapes} - nice mix of flute music

Duets: Flute & Harp {Lifescapes} - add a harp :)

The Sounds of Sea World {Unknown Artist} - purchased at Sea World, Orlando a few years ago; nice mix of instrumentals, surf, and sea creature calls

My Neighbor Totoro {Joe Hisaishi} - the theme just doesn't get out of your head

Princess Mononoke {Joe Hisaishi} - mostly strings, but they're very smooth and sweeping

The Star Wars Triology {Varujan Kojian / The Utah Symphony Orchestra} - all the major themes from the original three films without the $75 price tag, and their interpretation is quite nice

The Birth of Mewtwo {Miyazaki Shinji & Tanaka Hirokazu} - not easy to get, and I like Mewtwo's pipe organ theme

Laputa: The Castle in the Sky {Joe Hisaishi} - short, very repetitive theme

Serious Hits - Live! {Phil Collins} - one artist who certainly doesn't need any studio "fixing up", and he performs some of his most popular work here

Wicked {Stephen Schwartz} - true story, had the opportunity to see Menzel and Chenoweth in the original cast and said I didn't want to go see it.  :slap  Still wishing I had gone that day.

Wolf's Rain {Yoko Kanno} - a big mish mash of a lot of stuff {instrumental, folk, rock, ballads, accoustic), but its all very nice

Yesterday Once More, 2-Disc {The Carpenters} - their most recognized stuff, and this is before a lot of remastering on the later releases

So yeah, I can't live without a lot of the stuff I've collected over the years.  :lol:  :lol:  I'd be a really depressed individual if I lost all these.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Well, I couldn't live without my LBT music.  Losing it in a house fire is a very unlikely occurance though.  Even if my house did burn down, I have all of the songs backed up on about 200 different hard drives.  Some are at family's houses, some are in my garage, some are in my room, and I even was able to disquise them and store them on my school's server!  They just look like documents that are 17k.  I not only disquised the nature of the files, I also altered their size appearance.  I always back up my data.   ;) I even back up my computer on some online data backup systems.  Whenever I lose files, it's cuz I just created them and haven't backed them up yet.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
I would definitely be set back but most music stuff I can't sleep without (after owning it) is autographs, because I already lost my Meet N Greet due to a horrible spam-blocker, so I'd have no chance to get a new autograph without forking over some serious money... but I can go re-buy a CD if worst comes to worst

or my computer which has a lot of demos and whatnot of my own and my friends' music (I'm kinda a warehouse for others' music I know :p I have probably a gig or five of demos of my friends) which is irreplacable...

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Austin, you have a point, have backups....even though all of mine are in the same place. :p  Kind of defeats the purpose I know.  There's an emotional and personal difference between holding the official cd in your hand, and holding a cd with mp3 files. ;)  Its not the same.

tails, it would be easier to just "re-buy a CD if worst came to worst" if I didn't buy OOP or really hard to find stuff.  Most I can get for cheap, but some I just can't find again because they're too damn rare.  I'll just name 3 cds from those pictures...LBT, Watership Down (the purple one), and Birth of Mewtwo...amazon.com has LBT for $50 after shipping, used (but its been known to be in the $70 range before); Birth of Mewtwo for $50 (new while they still have copies), and Watership Down at $195.50 (used, and no that one isn't a typo).  :o   Now you see why I'd be depressed.  :p

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
There's an emotional and personal difference between holding the official cd in your hand, and holding a cd with mp3 files. wink.gif Its not the same.

Huh.  Well I don't find any difference in it at all.  Ya just gotta go print a lable.  Of course, I have never bought a CD in my life so I wouldn't know.  :lol:

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
oh I know I'm just saying I don't have any truly rare discs except my SNAX album which at the time cost me $24, it's the only rare CD i have, although like I said, my computer is full of priceless stuff, as they are one-of-a-kind demos (not the song one of a kind :p) and I can't replace them

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I'd save everything! I love all my CD's, DVD's and Vinil, if they were somehow lost, I'd just buy them all over again.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
On a grim sidenote, if there WERE a fire... odds are the roof would collapse before I found out, since I live in the basement, the rest of the family is upstairs... I like the room, but there aren't really windows to escape from, in the normal fashion

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I don't think my house can caught fire, it's not made of wood. If a room caught on fire it would be easy to isolate it and save the rest of the house since the fire wouldn't spread very quickly. Although there's a lot of furniture, but never in a too crowded way. Anyway, if I was in my room I could always jump off the balcony, it's only like two meters.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
My house is equiped with 3 types of fire extinguishers in each room so I'm not too worried about losing my entire house to a fire.  One of the extinguishers in my room is about half empty.  I used it when my computer caught fire in my room. :lol:

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Lol, I don't think we have any fire extinguishers, carelessness? Nah :D

Ok, returning to the topic itself:

I guess my vinils are the more important things, since they're are, I'd try to save the New Order's True Faith singles, Joy Division's Atmosphere 12" and my Joy Division double album. As for CD's I'll have to save New Order's Retro Box, all the rest will be missed, but I can easily buy them back over the years.

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Ride the Lightning(Metallica), Toxicity & Hypnotize(System of a Down), my Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask soundtrack CDs, and my George Carlin CDs, especially The Little David Years collection.

…Actually, that's basically my whole CD "collection". Perhaps I should buy more music…

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
A house is just a box with a roof on it for your stuff. :lol: :lol:

And don't take fires for granted, anything can burn or catch on fire.

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Tails_155,Jul 1 2007 on  03:34 PM
George Carlin is the best!
Quote from: Petrie,Jul 1 2007 on  06:28 PM
A house is just a box with a roof on it for your stuff. :lol: :lol:

Whoa, other Carlin fans?! And here I thought his legend was completely overshadowed by Dane Cook and Dave Chappelle…

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
the only music i really listen too is from  a video game,movie,or my violin and keyboard and it would suck if i lost any of those in a fire, especially my violin because it was my grandpas.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If I lost everything in a fire, I don't think I would care about the stuff too much.  I'd be worried where I was going to sleep! :P:

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jul 3 2007 on  12:31 AM
If I lost everything in a fire, I don't think I would care about the stuff too much.  I'd be worried where I was going to sleep! :P:
 :lol good point, though i probably wouldnt be able to sleep after an event like my house burning down.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have a number of import CDs as well as two soundtrack CDs which I couldn't live without, because of the cost of the CDs and the effort I spend keeping them in good condition:

Nightwish: Angels Fall First
Nightwish: Wishmaster
Nightwish: Oceanborn
Nightwish: Once

Sonata Arctica: Sing in Silence
Sonata Arctica: Reckoning Night

The Land Before Time: original soundtrack
Dinotopia: original soundtrack (give it a listen; it's actually really good! :) I was surprised to hear such nice work from Trevor Jones, whom I only know from one other film, "Labyrinth".  That movie had a pretty trippy soundtrack :P: )

I don't have pictures of these and most of the CDs are in my car at the moment (except LBT, which I only keep a copy of in my car.  The original is safely on my shelf ;) )

I have mp3 (and lossless in some cases) copies of all of the music on these discs but I don't have any copies of the discs themselves.

Even more than these however, I couldn't live without my personal music projects which I have worked on.  I have virtually every piece of music I have ever worked on since grade 7 backed up somewhere in this house (I have 3 copies of most of it and 2 copies of the more recent stuff).  I'm half-tempted to burn a DVD of my project files and leave it at my Dad's house. :lol