The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Discuss: Return to Hanging Rock

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I had not noticed that, but it could be some or all of the reasons you have given.  Pretty good reasoning you have there.

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
shes so sensitive - might freak out

If she didnt freak out when with pool of lava around her ("The canyon of Shiny Stones"), then I guess she would be able to live with that information.

what could they possibly expect a little fast runner to do against a massive sharptooth?

Nothing with her muscles for sure, but good trick might do the job. Another alternative is finding powerful ally. After all her parents send her to the Valley to learn how to work together with others and not because they thought she will get some extra powers there...

Redclaw only appears when Ruby is around, and has never been in it prior to the TV series

He could be after Chomper instead (or as well). After all, Chomper is almost always with Ruby and he is too a new "asset" to the Valley.

Why Ruby's parents sent only her with Chomper, and not her two siblings

Ruby doesnt need so much care as her siblings do and Ruby has already one dinosaur to babysit, so if her parents send siblings with her it might be to many for her to protect.

The Look Ruby's parents give her after they introduce themselves - it defintively said "Oh no shes back".

I didnt think they were looking at her this way. They were just suprised by her arrival.

Plus her mom telling her it was too dangerous - I mean they must not think its too dangerous to send her tromping off with Chomper to some unknown valley, but coming back is now suddenly dangerous? It didn't make sense, unless of course they didn't want her to come back.

The Great Valley is rather well known and it is much more safe than Mysterious Bayond. After all, in which of these places you can meet sharptooth every day?

when Redclaw suddenly appeared and chased them, but oddly enough seemed to ignore Chomper to snap at Ruby.

As I saw it, he was snapping at them both equally. I didn't notice Redclaw being especially picky at that moment.
Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And a driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Myrkin,Apr 26 2009 on  09:25 AM
shes so sensitive - might freak out

If she didnt freak out when with pool of lava around her ("The canyon of Shiny Stones"), then I guess she would be able to live with that information.

what could they possibly expect a little fast runner to do against a massive sharptooth?

Nothing with her muscles for sure, but good trick might do the job. Another alternative is finding powerful ally. After all her parents send her to the Valley to learn how to work together with others and not because they thought she will get some extra powers there...

Redclaw only appears when Ruby is around, and has never been in it prior to the TV series

He could be after Chomper instead (or as well). After all, Chomper is almost always with Ruby and he is too a new "asset" to the Valley.

Why Ruby's parents sent only her with Chomper, and not her two siblings

Ruby doesnt need so much care as her siblings do and Ruby has already one dinosaur to babysit, so if her parents send siblings with her it might be to many for her to protect.

The Look Ruby's parents give her after they introduce themselves - it defintively said "Oh no shes back".

I didnt think they were looking at her this way. They were just suprised by her arrival.

Plus her mom telling her it was too dangerous - I mean they must not think its too dangerous to send her tromping off with Chomper to some unknown valley, but coming back is now suddenly dangerous? It didn't make sense, unless of course they didn't want her to come back.

The Great Valley is rather well known and it is much more safe than Mysterious Bayond. After all, in which of these places you can meet sharptooth every day?

when Redclaw suddenly appeared and chased them, but oddly enough seemed to ignore Chomper to snap at Ruby.

As I saw it, he was snapping at them both equally. I didn't notice Redclaw being especially picky at that moment.
Rather then picking at my thoughts, could you suggest a reason why this whole scenario is going on with Ruby? I just came up with a plausable explanation.

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Because sriptwriters couldn't think of better way to introduce this character? :p

And I dont think your theory is so plausible. What could Ruby (or her parents) possibly do to Redclaw, that he would chase her all the time (while ignoring others)? And if he really is only after Ruby, then where is an example of him not caring about catching the rest of the gang?

Edit:

One more thing... I am not picking at your thoughts. I am only giving arguments against arguments you used to proof your theory. Maybe I used wrong one's and I may be wrong, but you shouldnt take my arguing (with your explenation) personaly.
Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And a driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
My Apoligies,

But anyone can critisize anyone else without suggesting anything for themselves. Its the easiest thing to do in the world - any political opposition leader will tell you that.

Now back on topic,

Redclaw never picks Ruby out specifically because she is never alone outside the Great Valley - she always has her friends or family with her.

As for what her parents could do to make him angry - they eat eggs don't they? I could see one of them stealing an egg that belonged to him and eating it.  We never really see them eating, but judging by what we know of the species (Oviraptors) its perfectly sensible for them to steal eggs.

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Anyone can critisize, that's true. It doesnt mean that every critique is right, ergo coming up with right arguments against some idea might be as difficult as making one's own idea. ;)

Redclaw never picks Ruby out specifically because she is never alone outside the Great Valley - she always has her friends or family with her.

Yes. This means that he can be after Ruby as good as he might be just hunting on anything that comes into his sight.

As for what her parents could do to make him angry - they eat eggs don't they? I could see one of them stealing an egg that belonged to him and eating it. We never really see them eating, but judging by what we know of the species (Oviraptors) its perfectly sensible for them to steal eggs.

Well... As you said, we dont know much about their eating habits. Nobody in the Valley ever said that Ruby's kind is known for being eggs-stealers, but even if they are, then what egg they could steal form Redclaw? We have never seen him having any mate and it is not mentioned by anybody. The only egg they could steal from his would be an egg he had stolen from someone else, but it could not be a small egg (Redclaw is a big sharptooth and he surely need to eat a lot). If it was an egg large enough to be appetizing for Redclaw, then it could be too much for small creatures like fastrunners to carry.

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I really must stop posting in ancient topics... OTL

Aside from all the points already mentioned here, am I the only one that noticed that Grandpa Longneck among other things is also fire-proof?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The plot is okay but the animation of the  'Flying Rocks' is crappy. The fire also looks unnatural.

I don't like Skip. He's just unneccessary, that's it.
Inactive, probably forever.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It is sorta annoying to me the way they introduce new characters then poof, you don't see them anymore.  Though I've said that before.

As for as posting to old topics that have not had any recent posts that is ok, no problem with that at all.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
This was a not so bad episode, though there were some wasted scenes that could have had something else and statements. That weird Flying Rocks thing was not okay. Skip was annoying, he also made it so that my favorite fast biter (Screech, though Thud was there too) never appear again.

Though actually, I had no idea that Screech and Thud attacked by themselves in this episode. None of us on the wiki knew at all. I just decided to check out the episode, and I was surprised by the sudden growls. Red Claw's cameo was okay, he interrupted a song, but his appearance could have been so much better. They could have had this be the last episode where they drive out Red Claw for good or something, Ruby said she wanted it to happen. But it didn't.

If a second season is in the works right now, Red Claw better come back. Please don't leave him in the dust. Prove to us that he isn't pitiful at times. Show the true Red Claw for who he should be. He looked cool, but was reduced to crap for the three year olds.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It seems like a good time to revisit these episodes given the hd uploads that are being put up on Youtube.

This was one of the more memorable episodes for me due to it trying to develop Ruby and the plot with Red Claw, albeit only a tiny amount. I still remember when I first saw the episode being surprised by Ruby's commenting on trying to stop Red Claw since it was never a focus in any episode (they mention it one other time in The Starday Celebration I think? I must have forgotten at the time).

I laughed pretty hard when Red Claw interrupted the song. It matched my feelings towards Feel So Happy quite well. I didn't know about Screech and Thud separating from Red Claw. Maybe they were scouting ahead and maybe the met their fate getting lost in the maze of hanging rock? I doubt it I imagine if Red Claw does make a return they'll just inexplicably show up again.

It will be interesting to re-watch. I'm planning on watching them all again at some point now that we have better quality videos to watch.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Oh, this. One of very few episodes I like very much and who had potential to be perfect.
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
You could potentially load one of the episodes onto VLC and download/cache it by pasting the codec link and saving.

Return to Hanging Rock may come in a few days, they've been putting out an episode once almost every day :yes
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Caustizer,Apr 26 2009 on  03:54 AM
Great Episode.

My theory for why Ruby's parents didn't go with her, and why they sent her in the first place etc. and all the mystery surrounding Ruby is a pretty simple one:

Redclaw is after Ruby.

Possibly for something her parents did or took part in - beyond mere average hunger.  A Sharptooth as large as Redclaw would hardly put as much effort into going after such a small meal without another type of gain.

It would explain why:

A) Her parents sent Ruby away to the Great Valley (theres no sharpteeth there after all)

B) They won't tell her the real reason she went there (shes so sensitive - might freak out). The reason they gave is a pretty shakey one - what could they possibly expect a little fast runner to do against a massive sharptooth?

C) Redclaw only appears when Ruby is around, and has never been in it prior to the TV series

D) Her parents won't go with her to the Great Valley (perhaps they think they won't be welcome, but since Chomper said HE was they thought maybe Ruby would at least be safe there)

E) The reason they know all of Redclaw, Thudd, and Screetch's names. Ruby must have told them, so she had been tangling with them long before the TV series started.

F) Why Ruby's parents sent only her with Chomper, and not her two siblings.

G) The Look Ruby's parents give her after they introduce themselves - it defintively said "Oh no shes back". Plus her mom telling her it was too dangerous - I mean they must not think its too dangerous to send her tromping off with Chomper to some unknown valley, but coming back is now suddenly dangerous? It didn't make sense, unless of course they didn't want her to come back.

It seems kind of unlikely of a reason at first glace, and i didn't even think of it until the steaming geysers episode when Redclaw suddenly appeared and chased them, but oddly enough seemed to ignore Chomper to snap at Ruby.
I never thought of this theory. It makes a lot of sense as to why Red Claw's only appeared when she's around and such. He's after her, and and anyone at her side.
That's also why he was telling Screech and Thud to follow Ruby and Chomper in the flashback in The Star Day Celebration. Two young dinosaurs - a fast runner and a sharptooth, are definitely not as filling as two adult fast runners and two babies.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
For all the other missteps the TV series has had, it does tend to have pretty consistently good opening scenes that get you interested for the rest of the episode (regardless of what ends up happening in the episode itself ;p). I like the opening here where it ends with Ruby going "Hmm," but you don't know what she's thinking yet.

Other assorted thoughts:
I got a kick out of "Up in the Sky" being a cheap knock-off of "The Legend of the Lone Dinosaur". :p And then I laughed out loud when it showed them up on that platform traveling through space.

Speaking of songs, when Red Claw's roar interrupted "I Feel So Happy", I had the thought that even he was getting sick of that one. :p

I think I actually like Redclaw now because he stopped them from singing. Why doesn't he do it more often? XD
Hehehe, yeah. My thoughts exactly.

One thing I wonder is why didn't Ruby's family go to the great valley with her?  It'd be a safer place to raise their kids.
I didn't think of that before... but that is a very good point.

Regardless, it was nice to see that Ruby's family is alive and well. I've wanted to know more about them ever since they first appeared in the flashbacks of "The Star Day Celebration".

I wanted to point out Ruby's line to her parents, when she says, "I still need to help Chomper find out how to help save the Mysterious Beyond from Red Claw."

Okay, now that is interesting. This is the most of an explanation we've ever gotten as to why Ruby separated from her family to take care of Chomper.

It's still not 100% clear what Ruby meant when she said that. But it makes me wonder if she's going to try and train Chomper, himself a sharptooth, to be able to fight off Red Claw someday? I'm struggling to imagine how that would work out in the series, but it's a really interesting idea, if that is indeed what the writers were going for.

I lamented about Ruby & Chomper's relative lack of backstories in the past. But this part here, along with the general reappearance of Ruby's family, is enough to convince me that the writers probably would have further fleshed out Ruby & Chomper & Red Claw if only we'd gotten that second season...

Good episode. 7.25/10
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 02:11:38 PM by StardustSoldier »