The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT Song Project: Things Change

action9000 · 255 · 19031

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
okey, that¥s nice. I¥ll send you some more, than you have more where you can pic out the best one. Cause, I sing it every time in  a nother way. Specifical this part of the song.

Cera: And mayby when things change.
Littlefoot ducky: Mayby when things change.
Cera:                                          Oh mayby when things change.

Cause I cannot sing Littlefoot ducky and Cera at the same time, you understand?^^ So I¥ll sing one time Littlefoot and ducky, and one time Cera. B)

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I think I've asked this before, but what quality/bit rate do you want the recordings in, action9000? I'll be using Sound Recorder on Windows XP to record off of my laptop's screen-mounted microphone. I think it would be better to just send the file it natural WAV format. But, what quality do you want it in? If it's full quality, what would the stats be? I want to get all of those bit rate/kilohertz numbers right, you see. :p

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
I am asking that for Marcel. Could he join in the sing project at this late time too? He would be very happy if yes.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
But, what quality do you want it in? If it's full quality, what would the stats be? I want to get all of those bit rate/kilohertz numbers right, you see.
.WAV files are just fine.  As for the quality:
"CD Quality", or specifically:
44100Hz (44.1kHz)
16-bit
mono (stereo is okay too but it's just making the file larger than necessary since you won't be recorded in stereo).

Remember to send the files to Petrie, not me.  Thanks a lot! B)

Could he join in the sing project at this late time too? He would be very happy if yes.
Sure, as long as he is willing to sing in English for this project. :yes

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
What about the WAV "format"? Is the default "PCM" alright, or should I choose something else? I'm sorry about the zillion questions, but I just want to get this exactly right for this.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
No worries Manny! B)
To answer your question, Yes, PCM is fine. :yes

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, I finally got around to finishing my entrie and have now e-mailed it to Petrie, like requested.  Here's me hoping it was done good enough. :^.^:

Also, sorry it took so long.  I totally spaced on it. :D

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I should tell you that I still have a nasty cough and I stepped on and broke my microphone. :(   I can get a replacement soon, or I can record using the terrible mic on my laptop.  I'll probably need a week to get a replacement (shipping is terrible).  Is that okay or should I record using the laptop mic?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'll probably need a week to get a replacement (shipping is terrible). Is that okay or should I record using the laptop mic?
We're not on a tight schedule at all.  If you want to pick up a new mic and get us recordings afterwards, that's just fine. :yes

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
good cuz that laptop mic really is terrible.  It sounds like somthings humming in the background along with the sound of one of those sweeper trucks. :lol

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Ugh. I get the house to myself often enough, but almost all of the time that I do, I'm buried in school work. As a result, I only have one rough recording done. Y'all have to be patient with me on this one.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
There's a difference between getting the recording and actually doing something with it. ;)  I told you...Thanksgiving I'll have a chance to really dive into these.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've got a little problem here.  I can't sing to it very well. :( One example of something I don't understand is the notes "Unitl that egg was there" has more notes than needed, which I don't understand.  It has the notes for something like "Unitil that egg was was was there" or something like that.  I get confused and I screw up every time.  There's another instance too, but I can't remember it.  I have to concentrate to be in sync so much that I sound terrible. :( Any suggestions?  That note mentioned above has 3 identical notes that don't conform to the lyrics.  I'm so confused. :cry2

Oh, oh!  And the line "I thought we were a family" should only have 7 notes, but it has 9!  What does this mean? :huh:

Did I get some sort of pre-release or something?  I don't see how I can sing to it like this when the notes arn't even the correct ones.  I must be missing something.   :unsure:

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Thanks Action I'll get to the recordings right away. I just need to find a good time to do it. Since I still live in my parents house. I don't want to be kicked out for being too loud. ;)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I don't get your concern Austin.  I've already rough-mixed two members' recordings and there's no issue with extra syllables and neither had trouble with this spot.  I know it seems like there's a extra note played, but if you know the song, the note is meant to be held out.  I can't offer much in terms of what you can do except to just relax and do it, and don't concentrate so much on hitting it perfect on the first try.  For many of the projects I've done, Tim gets the fourth, seventh, recordings...I don't think I've ever sent him the first take.

Keep trying.  Remember I'm not moving very fast on my end so don't rush it.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I took multiple takes the other day, with me only keeping one that I found remotely acceptable due to various mishaps on the other ones, the most common occurance being that the notes don't seem to be in line with the original. I literally have to keep on my toes (ears?) to sing in sync with the song (I'm using the version with the melody), and sometimes, just outright guess, usually with me starting too early before the actual note sounds.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I literally have to keep on my toes (ears?) to sing in sync with the song (I'm using the version with the melody), and sometimes, just outright guess, usually with me starting too early before the actual note sounds.
Ballads like these are very tricky to reproduce in MIDI because the timing of the original songs is so "free".  Trying to get an absolute time on something that was originally sung freely was very difficult when placing the note timings.  My piano part is just a rough indication.  I played that part twice myself and just kept it.  I didn't really modify the recording, I just played on top of the background music.

I also released a version of the music with NO melody playing at all.  If you prefer not to be locked down by my piano part, download that one and see if you get better results.
http://www.driveway.com/lelde63166
[EDIT] fixed the link.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
If I sing without the melody, won't I stand a higher chance of missing the notes and not being in sync with the others?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
If I sing without the melody, won't I stand a higher chance of missing the notes and not being in sync with the others?
Depends on your personal listening/singing style. B)
I actually Always sing these songs without a melody playing.  I tried it a couple of times with the melody but I find it very distracting.  I get much better results singing with no melody playing at all.  Just emmerse yourself in the music and learn the song well enough that you can get the timing the way that feels right to you.  If you have trouble with pitch, see if you can learn when you sound either "in tune" or "out of tune" with the music, and work at it until you find the note you want.  Sing along to the original a little bit before hand, so you know what note the song starts on.

If you're off a little bit on entrances or timing, I can fix that in the mixing stage, for the most part.  I will be spending a lot of time and effort on mixing for this song, and I have more sophisticated software than I had been using in the past.

Bottom line, do what YOU find easier. I prefer singing with no background melody, but then I also make sure to know and understand the song before I start singing.