The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Cera's "Sisters"

Saftycera

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/saft

I was capping my DVD for again today for icons when I noticed something about Cera's family...There's a scene later on in the movie where she says "When I find my sisters I won't BE alone!"

But upon further inspection of said "Sisters" Only one of the other three Three-horn actually has eyelashes and looks feminine the other two from my point of view look very masculine to me.

What do you guys think? Of course I could be completley wrong but in a way I get kinda depressed to know that Cera's maternal mother and her sisters/brothers didn't make it to The Great Valley.

~Safty

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
This is yet another mystery brought on by the sequels. Indeedm we never see of them in the Great Valley, that I know of. However, if memory serves, there are some threehotn hatchlings that appear at the end of LBT 2. However, not only are they too young to be Cera's lost siblings, but they are, too, not heard from anymore in the later sequels. Why, oh why, does this so often happen to LBT?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I guess it takes more than long eyelashes to turn a male dinosaur into a female one (there are some scenes in which Littlefoot sports very long eyelashes) and more than short eylashes to turn a female into a male.
It is very difficult to draw a land before time character and make sure the character looks particularly male or female. By just looking at Cera's parents in the original movie it would be very difficult to tell who is Cera's father and who is his mother. The same is true for many other species as well. In case of the flyers we have one exception as the males (the grownup males that is) are sometimes depicted with a large crest (such as Pterano's) while the females usually have the smaller version such as that of Petrie's mother). Could anyone of you draw a flyer of Petrie's age and make sure that everyone knows this flyer to be a girl? The eye lashes seem to be the only detail we can name to pinpoint the different looks, but it doesn't seem to be a very substantial difference.

I recall that there had been some uncertainty about the gender of Ducky. She was never referred to as "she" in the original movie and some people were uncertain about her gender. In fact an audio play of the land before time was produced in which Ducky was referred to as "he" by the narrator.

Of course I could be completley wrong but in a way I get kinda depressed to know that Cera's maternal mother and her sisters/brothers didn't make it to The Great Valley.
This is a question I have been wondering about as well. In LBT 11 they beat the bush again by not saying anything at all about the whereabouts of Cera's mother and her sisters. We didn't see any threehorn but Cera's dad at the end of the original movie, but Cera's mother was shown in LBT 2 and in the sequels 3 and 4 there were other young threehorns around suggesting that parts of Cera's family were still around. Dinah and Dana in LBT 6 made the riddle complete. We were never told about their parents and they looked nothing like Cera (Cera might even grow a little jealous of the two considering the fact that they ARE threehorns while Cera still sports but one horn).
I have been writing a land before time story titled "Old Threehorns" in which Cera's mother and two of her sisters play a significant role. I came up with an explanation for their absence and for Dinah and Dana. Sadly the content of the story is in conflict with several land before time movies which were released after I started writing it. :(

SpikeTheStegosaur

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Cera's mom was in the Valley at the end of the movie. I think she was standing near Cera's father when they were nuzzling. As for the siblings, I'm certain they were there.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: SpikeTheStegosaur,Oct 20 2007 on  11:24 PM
Cera's mom was in the Valley at the end of the movie. I think she was standing near Cera's father when they were nuzzling. As for the siblings, I'm certain they were there.
The where'd they go for the rest of the series? We really don't see anything of them. And if Topsy's mate made it to the Valley, then why did he get a new one in LBT 11? Very puzzling....

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I would guess they did a sort of retcon to say Cera's mom and her siblings didn't make it, or a continuity mistake.  Just a guess on my part.  

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I came up with several reasons why Cera's mom and siblings aren't around.  Some of which shouldn't be discussed with kids.

One fair prediction I've made is that they simply didn't make it in LBT 5.  I'm sure that the journey to find another place with green food cost them a few lives, some of which were rather grusome for kids. (It's not pleasing to see someone die of starvation and dehydration.)  Other accounts could be possible sharpteeth encounters to deal with.  Who knows if anyone was actually lost in LBT 5?  A number of Cera's family could be the sad victims.

I do have a few others, but I do not wish to discuss them, as they are more adult, if you know what I mean.

Still, who knows what happened, but my prediction could be a good one. :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There could be other reasons, like you mentioned including events from certain movies.  I forgot about those, perhaps partly since it isn't a think kids should hear likely.

Another option, thought it makes things more complex, is to say certain movies happen on LBT earth 1, others on LBT earth 2, may or may not need an LBT earth 3.  I don't think in these terms since, like I said, it makes things pretty complex.  Though you'd have to be old like me to think of that or understand what earth 1, earth 2, is, since they were wiped out in the mid 80's  story in dc comics.

SpikeTheStegosaur

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I don't count the sequels, so I can't say about them. I'm certain I remember seeing Cera's mom in the Valley. The other baby topses,  no, but the mom, yes.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There is a Triceratops in the background in the LBT 2 scene in which Cera's Dad reacts to hearing the shouts of Cera and the others (who are stuck in the Sinking sands), who by all likelihood was supposed to be Cera's Mum. LBT 3 has another threehorn (the scene when the Thundering Falls stop) and also some kids who look like Cera but definitely younger. However in spite of these scenes there is not one which would beyond any doubt present one dinosaur as Cera's mother. There are no scenes with the whole family depicted as such (while we do see Ducky's families' nest with both parents). Cera's mother is nowhere in the reunification scene of LBT 5 (last time we saw Ducky's Dad).

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It could be considered either a retcon where they rethought what they intended earlier on, or could be they forgot what they had done earlier.  Some tv series and movie series have such mistakes that occur.  There was even a series of netpicker's guide of books that came out for a bit.  Likely the reason is there is no one who forces them to stick to pre established continuity and they ignore the past to varying extents and focus only on the current story they are working on.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Unless there's evidence to suggest otherwise, it's possible that Cera's siblings never made it to the Great Valley, and that Cera's mother didn't make it through the swarming leaf gobblers debacle in LBT 5.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is the easiest approach.  Either try to ignore inconstancies or make up what makes sense and say it happened off screen.  I usually take the second approach.  After all with the various disasters that happened one could say her siblings and mother may have had something happen off screen.  It could have been to both at once, or in separate movies.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Today I could see the movie again and I saw the earthshake sequence very well, in a segment we can see several dinosaurs falling with rocks when the lands got separated, between those dinosaurs there were some Longnecks and many ThreeHorns, and the only dinosaurs we can see that were safe were Littlefoot's grandparents and Cera's father with only one more Threehorn. Maybe (and I say maybe) between the dinosaurs that couldn't survive the cataclysm were Cera's siblings :(

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
One LBT story I've been writing is focused primarily on Cera's family and suggests that the great earthquake separated not just Cera but also her siblings from her dad and her mum (who in turn was missed after an aftershock of the earthquake). That story assumes that two of Cera's sisters survived and were found by Cera's mum who, though separated from her husband, also survived.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is possible.  If they were separated they may assume that the other did not make it.  If some did not know where the great valley was, or thought it only a myth they may never go to the great valley.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It is also quite likely that there were different descriptions of the way to the Great Valley from the one we were given in the original movie. For example I would expect threehorns or other kinds to focus on land marks other than the rock that looks like a longneck :lol

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
True, and I think Doc mentioned other places as nice as the great valley.  Some word of mouth from far walkers and other dinos who visit one or more of these places as well as the great valley may have gotten things mixed as things spread by word of mouth up so Cera's mother and sisters may  have would up at one of those other places.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here's something I just thought of today:

According to LBT 1, Cera has sisters:
When I find my sisters, I won't be alone!

BUT according to LBT 3, Mr. Threehorn has just a single surviving female child: Cera.  Note the lyrics in the song "Standing Tough"
I have A DAUGHTER and I'm HER father
It says nothing about there being any other female siblings (Daughters, Their father) and if there are other siblings, Mr. Threehorn sure doesn't think much of them...

Therefore, either Mr. Threehorn fails to acknowledge that fact that he has other children or Cera is the only surviving female child.  This doesn't rule out the possibility of male siblings who are never mentioned though.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
If Cera's dad have not seen his other kids since they were separated, and they never came to the great valley he may well think they were dead and doesn't speak about them.