The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A remake could actually happen.

Mouse-a-saur

• A Winchesterian Paradox
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
I think that's just what it comes down to, fans want more new content. That's another reason why a "remake" of the original wouldn't fly too well.

~*And I'm something called a Jared Padalecki*~

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I know I'm in the minority here, but a remake actually makes more sense to me at this point. I sort of feel they've taken it as far as they can with simply making more sequels. A remake could be a good chance to put a fresh new spin on things. The rebooted Planet of the Apes series is proof that, sometimes, starting over is the best way to breathe new life into a franchise. I don't normally feel that way with franchises; usually I prefer a traditional sequel that keeps the same storyline going, rather than hitting the reset button. But with Land Before Time, a 15th film would probably just be another lighthearted musical (which I'd still watch anyway). Whereas the idea of a remake is more interesting to me because then I wonder, how would they take the original film and approach it from a different angle?

I'm not worried about them "ruining" the original Land Before Time, in the sense that it simply couldn't happen for me. I love the original film, and regardless of anything else that happens, I can always go back and watch the original again.

I'm with ImpracticalDino though, in that I do want the franchise to continue on somehow. I'm okay if it takes a while, but I hope something comes eventually, regardless of whether it's a remake, a sequel, a TV series continuation, or whatever else.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 03:05:18 PM by StardustSoldier »

Mouse-a-saur

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
I'm just worried that an entire rebooted franchise would throw out over ten movies worth of canon story. It's not that a remade movie would ruin the original, I'm just fearful of it disregarding or covering up years of content.

I wish there was a way to sort of "recap" the other movies and continue the story into another movie without having "sequel-slog" (decay in quality).

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That's a good point. But I guess for me it's less of an issue because there isn't really a ton of continuity anyway, at least not after the first two films. There are recurring characters, but most of the Gang's adventures per film are relatively standalone. So I guess I just wonder, how much further can the original timeline go? (Although mind you, I've only seen up to film #10 as of this writing, so I may feel different once I've seen the whole series.)

That, and while I'm still skeptical they could ever top the original film, there are aspects of the sequels that I wish had been rewritten or done with more polish (ie. how come Ali never returned, despite the ending of the fourth film implying she would?). There's plenty of good things about the sequels too, but that's all the more reason why I wish someone would take those good ideas and iron them out.

Mouse-a-saur

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
I guess I'm just wishing for a really incredible, all-encompassing sequel that ties up loose ends from previous movies and leaves it open for something new. Super wishful thinking, I know, but I'd much prefer that over the typical "remake".

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Honestly, there are just so many questions for me that are left unanswered. Like, how did Chomper even learn leaf eater in the first place? Why couldn't Chomper's Parents easily defeat Red Claw? When and how was Ruby entrusted to be Chomper's guardian? Are Chomper's Parents still alive? Will they make another appearance for a future sequel? Well, mostly these questions are derived from the TV series, but hopefully they would have some kind of explanation for these things. There's probably more questions than that, but I haven't seen most of the movies yet to know.

Stardust, Mouse? Are there questions boggling your mind that really needs to be explained too?

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Mouse-a-saur

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
 I think it would be fascinating to go deeper into sharptooth/leafeater relations in that sense, Impractical. It could explain Chomper’s ease in communication, and open up other doors in terms of story.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
@ImpracticalDino: Aside from my aforementioned question about Ali, probably my other biggest niggling question is the issue of Cera's mother and sisters, who were seen in the original film, but afterwards it's not clear what become of them. Especially because Ducky and Petrie were explicitly shown to have siblings, so I find it bizarre that Cera's nestmates vanished. It would've been interesting to see what Cera's sisters were like. Did they act similar to her, or did they have different personalities? For that matter, did she have any brothers?
:cerahappy

In particular, Cera's mother. Did she die? Because if so, I feel that was an incredibly wasted storyline. Cera losing her mother would've given her and Littlefoot something to bond over. Even if Cera's mom didn't die, I still would've loved to have either had her as a recurring character, or else to know what happened to her.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^Yeah, what annoys me about some of the movies is the clear inconsistencies between the newer and older ones. That only plagues us with more questions than answers. I also agree with you about potential storylines being neglected because of those questions never being answered.

I'm also curious how the Gang of Seven would be in their teenage years, and even as adults.

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

I'm also curious how the Gang of Seven would be in their teenage years, and even as adults.

Me too. I'm happy the first several sequels still had them as kids, but then after that it would've been interesting to see them grow up.

Mouse-a-saur

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
That might be something neat for them to try, an aged up Gang of seven. :olittlefoot

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
That might be something neat for them to try, an aged up Gang of seven.

I would love something like that.  :^^spike

Mouse-a-saur

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
It would certainly allow for more complex and varied storylines. :thinking

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I wonder how Chomper's role could play out once they become teens or adults. Would he be forced to leave the Great Valley? Will he defeat Red Claw? How will the relationship between him and the other six, specifically Littlefoot be? Do they still trust him? True friends would still be by his side obviously, even when he's forced to eat other flattooth to sustain his maturing body. And that'd be a concept I like to see be touched upon. This could be a very emotional movie/storyline if executed correctly. :)

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I believe that Chomper would most certainly have to leave the Great Valley at some point. I doubt the residents there would want a sharptooth living nearby, no matter how nice Chomper is. I do think that the Gang would still stay friends, despite being apart. And yeah, true friends never forget each other. I quite agree with you, Impractical, about seeing the Gang all grown up. ;)

Mouse-a-saur

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
That'd be really heavy, the others having to come to terms with the fact that Chomper's gotta eat dinosaurs like them.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I could see them accept it but wouldn't like it very much. Put yourself in their position. Would you?

Mouse-a-saur

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
Littlefoot could probably handle it best but characters like Cera would probably have the hardest time. I wouldn't even blame her.

Chomper123

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Well even if there was for any reason a modern remake, it might advertise a chance for more people that havent seen the original to watch it and to possibly develop a love for it and to see how much better it is compared to any cgi remake that is made  :SmugSpike

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
While I'm still open to the idea of a remake, I too am apprehensive about it potentially being CGI, moreso than I was before. I don't mind that Disney has been doing their remakes in live-action/realish-CGI, but my gut feeling is that it wouldn't work as well for Land Before Time. It could fall into uncanny valley territory and/or the characters wouldn't be as expressive. If a remake ever happens, I hope it's animated.