The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Sherlock Holmes

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Hello, tonight I just sampled the latest adaptation of Sir Arthur Canon Doyle's infamous character and it was worth it. The film portrays Holmes very close to what he was in the books, though perhaps over-doing the accentric part of his personality a bit. Watson was too tall and a little too angry throughout the film, but that's alright. Holmes puts him through hell.
The film was intelligently and masterfully made. Too bad it couldn't knock certain other films like Ferngully, no, wait, Dances With Wolves, no, uh... Pocahontas. Wait, it's, er...Avatar, off of their undeserved thrones, though.
The plot was brilliant,, as to be expected of something based on the writings of Doyle and it's a fun watching our protagonist defeat the villain using logic and cunning. I'd recommend this film to anyone who likes a mystery film.
Downey, jr. is surprisingly excellent as Holmes, as is the rest of the cast.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i loved the fiilm, and being a Holmes junkie myself i caught most of the in references. there will be a sequel you can bank on that..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I think we can almost guarantee a sequel on this one. As a Holmes adaptation, though, how do you it stands up, Nick? I think it did it's job relatively well, though it like I said it certainly took it's liberties.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
it was very good, I think Doyle would have approved. irene Adler, who was Holmes love interest in the film only appeared in the Bohemian Affair and actually died a few years afterward . Holmes in the stories did not  think very much of women, largely because Adler outfoxed him..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think he never thought much of women, except for her.   I thought he regarded her as the woman.  

I wonder how close the movie is.  Though I guess they would drop the drug use Holmes did when he was between cases.  Not that that was a huge part of his life and the laws were different then.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
no, there a drug use by holmes in the film.. watson complains about all the teresting he does on the dog. i suggest you see the film Kor, if you can..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
:rolleyes @ WR.

I never seen this film, once I saw Rachel McAdams in it and how she was portrayed...gahh I just couldn't see myself seeing it very much...once I saw her as a b**** in "Mean Girls", I could never take her seriously after that. <_< She played  REALLY good bitch...

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
So, one casting choice completely turned you off. Actually, she does a great job in this film, as does the rest of the cast. I don't get not being to take her seriously over one role she did, and did well by how you describe it. Explain this. The way my mind is taking this information in is that because she did a good job playing a teen libby too wel (?) that you can't take her seriously. I'm sorry if it seems like I'm making too big a deal but 'does not compute'.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well that's all I see Rachel McAdams as, a bitch, so whenever I see her in other films I always see Regina George...so yeah...

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, she's nothing like her role from Mean Girls in this film. In fact, I couldn't even tell it was her until you said it was her. Actually, thinking about it, I still dont' see it. I'm not trying to prove you wrong, but I'm not seeing the bitch in what I remember from the Holmes film.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't know why I'm so hard to understand right now...I guess I'm just tired...

I saw her first in Mean Girls and that movie had a huge impact on me when I was 13 as weird as it sounds. I used to take a lot of things seriously, including stereotypes, so I don't know...it just "scarred" me for some weird reason with my opinion of McAdams. So in other movies I can't see her other then Regina George. :p

I hope that made more sense.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Oh, I get what you're saying. Hmm. Well, she doesn't look or act anything like Regina George here, so I don't know what else to say. I think that if you tried the film you'd be pleasantly surprised.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I haven't seen this film yet. I probably won't. I never was much of a fan of Sherlock Holmes. The most I saw of him was from that one cartoon where Sherlock ends up in the 22nd Century.

My youngest sister is interested in the movie, though. But she'll probably won't be able to see it until it comes out on DVD in a few months.