The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Earning Restitution

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I so need to read that. I always love Mr Threehorn and Pterano. :DD

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I just got around to reading this. I'm really liking it so far. Taylen seems like such a sweet, innocent, but also naive child. He just seems like someone that get's himself in trouble all the time, but he has a good heart. :)

I'm not the best person for giving advice on grammar or punctuation, but it looks pretty good to me. Like Pterano said, I like how you use many different descriptive words to keep it fresh, and you're also ding a good job of aking the character's speech seem like... real speech.

Just one thing I'm wondering. Your talking like you don't know how this is going to end yet. Usually it's good to know where you're going before you start.

I'm looking forward to how this is going to end up. This seems like an awkward place for Pterano to be in, and it's awkward just him being with an egg stealer in the first place. You've got me captivated, so good job on that front! :DD
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: StrutEggStealer,Jun 7 2012 on  07:27 PM
http://thebattycrow.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4z82f9
here's the link, enjoy^^
I found this so funny. I bet there still doing this today but as skeletons. :lol

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: vonboy,Jun 7 2012 on  08:07 PM
Just one thing I'm wondering. Your talking like you don't know how this is going to end yet. Usually it's good to know where you're going before you start.

Oi vey^^ I know, I'm such a failure on that front. My habit is to plow ahead until I a) either hit a roadblock, or b) I manage to muddle through and fudge up the details.
Lol, but for something like this, I have a pretty clear idea where it's going, I've just  been going over so many different scenarios of what I think should or should not happen. ;)
I'm happy that it's captivated you, however^^

@Mr. Wonk: lol you bet^^
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
=Part Five

At that moment, far beyond the Walls of the Great Valley in a little red-rock glen, a mother sickleclaw was tending to her nest. She was a large, striking sharptooth with a dull scarlet hide and yellow pinpricking stripes down her back. The bony crests on either side of her head, apparent to her species, were colored a deep, burnt orange and were slightly less evident than her mate’s. Her gold, slit-pupil eyes tenderly regarded the circle of twigs, brittle bones and dried grass at her feet.

With one foot, she rearranged the oblong, milky-colored orbs and gently kicked more of the dried grass over them to keep them warm. She had been in this glen for weeks now, ever since she started laying, and her mate’s presence here was infrequent as he was out hunting a good deal of the time. The longer, deadly talons on her toes glinted as she turned towards the entrance of the glen and caught the Bright Circle’s rays.

A cautious hoot announced the return of her mate and he slowly entered the glen, bringing a slain runner in his jaws. He was more colorful than the female; his flanks were streaked with shades of lime green and his eye crests were bigger. His mate chirped happily as she rushed to greet him, nuzzling his neck and licking his snout. The male relished this kind of attention until he remembered the prize hanging from his clenched teeth. He dropped the dead dinosaur to the ground, bobbing his head towards it, indicating that his mate eat it.

The female cocked her head, confused. Usually, her mate would find something they could share, yet here he was insisting she only partake in the meal. She shook her head and made small, worried grunts.

Her mate looked rather embarrassed as he answered in the sharptooth language: “Almost caught a young swimmer, but they saw me before I got too close.” He sounded frustrated. His mate smiled empathetically – it wasn’t uncommon for sharpteeth to have failed hunting trips – and bumped her nose against his as a way of saying ëit’s okay.’

However, just then, the male stiffened. His legs went rigid as he rose up on tip-claw to sniff the air. A low growl escaped his throat as he turned to his mate. “Something’s out there, I’ll be right back.”

“I’ll come with you,” his mate suggested, catching his arm. The male grunted uncertainly, knowing his mate should stay with the eggs.

“You stay here.” He replied flatly, and went to investigate.

As the female’s back was turned to her nest, a pair of glinting amber eyes appeared from a dense bush which overhung the nest. The eyes were connected to a beaked snout and a long, slim neck which stretched slowly out towards the nest, keeping a watchful eye on the mother sickleclaw. More of the creature appeared as it silently slid out from the bush’s cover. It was a male Egg-Stealer, paler in coloration than most others of his species, but slightly bigger and with a more pronounced profile. He snuck forwards in his venture, one arm reaching longingly for one of the morsels when all at once there came a stifled cry of surprise from back in the bush. The Egg-Stealer froze, eyes wide as his head snapped behind him and then towards the female sickleclaw who, hearing the noise, whirled around to face the would-be robber.

The Egg-Stealer froze, his arm still reaching for the nest. He hesitantly pulled it back in, slowly sliding back into the bush the way he came, a lame smile on his face. “So sorry madam, for the interruption, continue with your business, don’t mind meeAAGH!”

Like lightning, the female sickleclaw sprang forward, talons splayed, needle-sharp teeth bared in a blood-curdling screech of rage.

“Bloody…!” The Egg-Stealer about-faced and dove back into the bush where he faced another of his species – this one was another male with a darker hide and yellow eyes. He looked up at his pale companion who crashed through the thicket, wide-eyed with fear. “Change of plans!” He sputtered. “Run!”

The darker one, slightly slower, peered over his companion’s shoulder to see the mother sickleclaw try to claw her way through the foliage. He gasped. “O-oh, right!” He complied, struggling to his feet. The pale one sent him stumbling forwards with a violent push.

“Move!” He barked.

“Move where? We’re trapped!” The dark one complained. He yelped as a clawed hand snagged his tail, thinking it was surely the sickleclaw, but the pale Egg-Stealer yanked him back and jabbed an index upwards.

“Climb!” He hissed urgently. The dark one scrambled up the steep sides of the glen, followed close behind by his companion. The two left the thicket in the nick of time as the female sickleclaw burst through, growling at the two retreating figures. She let out a warning series of hoots and then returned to tend to her eggs.

The two Egg-Stealers, safely at the top pathways overlooking the glen, stopped to catch their breath after their momentary panic. The darker one peered back down to glimpse the sickleclaw, whose mate had just returned. He gulped loudly and turned to his companion. “Hey, Ozzy?” He murmured.

The pale one, Ozzy, whipped his head around, fixing the dark one with a withering stare. “You… fool!” He panted. “I was this close!” He measured the distance with two of his claws. “What possessed you to suddenly make a noise?”

The dark one gulped again, eyes darting about wildly, like he wanted to hide under the first rock he found. “I-I… stepped on a… ground prickly.”

Ozzy stalked up to his companion, boring down on him. “A ground prickly, eh?” he hissed. “Maybe you should have thought to yourself that stepping on a ground prickly is a hundred times more pleasant than what Ozzy’ll do to you when he finds out you spoiled our lunch!” he raised his claw to land a sharp clout on his companion’s head, but withdrew at the last moment, as if he were still debating the best means of punishment.

The dark one shrank back to avoid the blow, but when none came, he looked up cautiously. Ozzy appeared tired all of a sudden as he sighed and folded his arms over his narrow chest. He continued in a much softer, almost gentle voice. “Look, Strut, brother… I’m just… really hungry.” He mumbled an apology. “This is bordering on ridiculous; we haven’t had anything to eat for the past three days now.”

Both Egg-Stealers, in good light, appeared quite undernourished – ribs stuck out slightly through their hides and even more noticeable when they breathed, Ozzy’s severe face was slightly broken by his cheekbones jutting out and both had dark circles under their eyes.

Strut, the darker one, slowly straightened and nodded. “Yeah,” he agreed.

Ozzy continued. “I mean, it wasn’t so bad back in the valley – remember? – I mean, yeah, we had a bit of a rough start, but at least there were available resources, you know?” He suddenly frowned. “But then those… those little –” he broke off before he could say another word and growled deep in his throat.

Strut rolled his eyes, knowing exactly who his brother was talking about. “Oz, I thought you said you were over it. After all, they didn’t really ruin our meals, we… we were just in the wrong place at the really wrong time.” He tried to chuckle, but all that came out was a distraught whimper.

Ozzy gave an unwilling shrug. “I, well… okay fine, they didn’t.” He harrumphed and looked away. “But I need to blame somebody,” he insisted quietly.

“Well, then,” Strut replied primly, claws stuck on his hips. “Blame yourself. If you hadn’t called so much attention to us that first night, we wouldn’t have had to high-tail it out here to eat! And,” he stepped forward. “Those little buggers wouldn’t have chased after us, started a rock-slide, make us lose the egg and then -!”

Ozzy snarled as he faced his brother. “Okay, Bark Breath! I get it! you don’t need to go all Mum on me!”

At that remark, Strut’s face fell, yellow eyes glistening slightly. “…All ëMum’ on you… wonder how… Mum and Dad…” he sighed a slow, mournful sigh. “I miss home, Oz. I really miss home.”

It was Ozzy’s turn to sigh as he turned, gesturing or his brother to follow. “Me too. But we’ll get home, brother.”

Strut perked up. “Really? When?”

Ozzy grumped. “As soon as we find another, safer place for the whole herd, the entire bloody reason we came out here in the first place!”

Strut bit the edge of his beak, figuring he should probably be quiet for awhile now and let Ozzy stew. “Ah, I see.”

=

Aw, guess who?  lol those hapless, hopeless Egg-Stealers, Ozzy and Strut seem to be having some trouble with getting lunch.
J. R. R. Tolkein

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
It takes me days to get over 1,500 words. You do it so fast! :lol

I guess it's been a long time for Pterano to get high feedback from someone then. And I think he missing it too. :cry

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mr Wonk,Jun 8 2012 on  03:24 PM
It takes me days to get over 1,500 words. You do it so fast! :lol

Hehe, I just plow on ahead through my muddled thoughts and blaze a clear trail :)

=Part Six

The Great Circle was already high in the sky, and the day looked to progress as it normally did for the Gang. They were sitting around in the Tall Trees, trying to figure out what to do. For some reason, none of them felt like doing anything. Ruby suggested that they go and hunt for more sky-color stones, which earned her a challenging smile from Cera.

"You still think you can find more stones than me, Ruby? I told you, I'm the best sky-color stone-finder there is!"

The pink fast runner frowned and folded her arms. "No, Cera. Remember? Ducky found more than we did last time. In fact, I think she found all of them because we certainly didn't find any." She looked at Ducky, sitting atop Spike's head. The little swimmer nodded happily.

"I did-ed find more stones than you, yes, yes, yes, I did!" She giggled. Ruby did a poor job of concealing her smirk as she turned back to Cera with 'I told-you-so' plainly written on her beaked face. Cera scowled.

Littlefoot sighed as he watched his friends argue. Ruby and Cera had been going at it a lot lately. They were arguing more, bragging more and just generally getting under each other's hides. The longneck didn't know what to make of it. Ruby and Cera were his friends, and he knew they were good friends with each other, but he didn't know what had caused this tipping point. He only hoped they would get over it soon. Friends shouldn't make their friends feel bad.

"Guys, come on," he broke in, getting to his feet to stand in between the threehorn and fast runner. "Can you please not start up again with the fighting? I think we've all had enough of it; I know I have." He looked at Cera, frowning sternly. "What is it with you two? Ever since we first went to look for those sky-color stones, you two've been acting more like enemies than friends."

Cera looked away, pouting. "Well," the threehorn mumbled. "Maybe we wouldn't be arguing if someone didn't keep bringing that up,"

Littlefoot frowned again. "I was only bringing it up because you two brought it up!" He stopped himself. This was getting contagious. He shook his head. "Look, can we just spologize, shake claws and be friends again?" He looked at Ruby.

"Okay Ruby?"

Ruby sighed and stuck out her claw. "Agreed," she replied in a low voice. Cera grudgingly nodded.

"Fine," she huffed.

The truce wouldn't last too long, Littlefoot realized, but it would have to do. Before he could suggest, however, that they go and play Swimmer and Splasher in the fast water, there came a low rumble. All noise ceased from the Gang in the Tall Trees as they listened. It was deep and it came from all around and was steadily growing louder.

Littlefoot's head snapped up. One look from everyone else and he knew what it was. "Earthshake!!" He cried. "Run!" His friends didn't need to be told twice. They bolted out of the Trees and split up, each to run to their own family. The rumbling got louder and the ground started to buckle and jump. Littlefoot yelped as he lost his footing. His whole world was vibrating. Behind him, he heard trees splintering as they broke from their root support and crash to the ground, and all around, mighty boulders that even Grandpa Longneck couldn't move cracked and crumbled. Even the Great Walls appeared to sway from this onslaught. And off in the distance, the Smoking Mountains belched out angry black clouds of smoke.

Littlefoot stared, frozen at the sight of the massive cloud of ash. This was unlike anything he had seen before. Never had an earthshake been this violent.

Struggling to his feet despite the rumbling ground, he took off at a sprint to find his grandparents in their cove. He looked back in the direction of his friends and was relieved to see that they had made it away safely.

Grandma and Grandpa Longneck were unsteadily making their way to the cove as well when Littlefoot ran into them, literally, as the ground shot up from beneath him and launched him into the air. He slid into his Grandpa's ankle and skidded to a stop, ducking his head down. Grandma and Grandpa braced themselves as the earthshake reached its climax, roared and then...

... Stopped.
=
s'funny, I had actually learned a bit about earthquakes and volcanoes this past semester in geology... deadly things, but pretty darn cool, too ;P
J. R. R. Tolkein

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I apologise for not reading this when it was first posted. This chapter see the return of the ozzy and strut. And there were some really funny lines in this one.

“I-I… stepped on a… ground prickly.”

I've been there before I can tell you it does hurt. :lol

“Well, then,” Strut replied primly, claws stuck on his hips. “Blame yourself. If you hadn’t called so much attention to us that first night, we wouldn’t have had to high-tail it out here to eat! And,” he stepped forward. “Those little buggers wouldn’t have chased after us, started a rock-slide, make us lose the egg and then -!”

Ozzy snarled as he faced his brother. “Okay, Bark Breath! I get it! you don’t need to go all Mum on me!”

At that remark, Strut’s face fell, yellow eyes glistening slightly. “…All ëMum’ on you… wonder how… Mum and Dad…” he sighed a slow, mournful sigh. “I miss home, Oz. I really miss home.”

It was Ozzy’s turn to sigh as he turned, gesturing or his brother to follow. “Me too. But we’ll get home, brother.”

I never thought about Ozzy and Strut having a Mum and Dad. I hope there can find there Mum, Dad and bother soon. :DD

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
One thing. Since you edited you last post to put the chapter in, it didn't move your topic up to the top. I didn't even know that you had a new chapter.

Anyway, this was interesting. Poor Ozzy and Strut seem to be on their lastl legs at the moment. I think I know who that little swimmer the sicle-claw almost caught was. :)
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
=Part Seven

It was as though a breath was being held, a collective inhale from everyone in the valley; even the wind had ceased its blow. Littlefoot cautiously poked his head out from behind his grandfather’s ankle, peering at his surroundings. Nothing was actively shaking or being crumbled or crushed, nothing was sliding down slopes and nothing was jouncing up and down like a bunch of nervous hoppers. The earthshake was over.

Grandma and Grandpa Longneck sighed in relief as they realized the danger was past. Littlefoot stepped out from under them and looked off in the direction of the Smoking Mountains. The black smoke that had been spewing from the gurgling pits before had choked off, almost as if nothing had happened. Littlefoot didn’t like it.

“That was a close one,” Grandpa remarked gravely. “Thank the Bright Circle it’s over now.”

Grandma sounded worried. “But earthshakes in the Valley have never been that serious, dear.”

Grandpa agreed. “I know. We had better go and see if anyone needs our help. Come, Littlefoot.”

Littlefoot followed anxiously after his grandparents as they lumbered out of the cove. They met up first with Topps and Tria, who were just stepping out of a rocky lean-to. Topps growled and harrumphed.

“Worst earthshake I’ve seen since the Great Earth Tremble!” He shook off some debris that had settled on his back. “How’d you make out, Longneck?”

Grandpa nodded. “We go to safety just in time, but I’m worried that there may have been those less fortunate.”

Cera and Tricia in the meantime had run over to Littlefoot. Little Tricia was shaking with fear over what had just occurred and Cera was trying her best to comfort her to no avail. “I didn’t think earthshakes were supposed to happen in the Great Valley!” She scowled angrily. “Littlfoot, can you help me calm Tricia down?”

The little threehorn whimpered as Cera nuzzled her gently. “There, there, Tricia, it’s okay. See? The earthshake is over, the sky is cleared up and we can go and play.”

Tricia gurgled in firm disagreement, as much as a little one her age could muster. “No,” she replied stubbornly. ëNo’ was now Tricia’s favorite word and it drove Cera absolutely crazy!

Cera sighed. Littlefoot stepped in, smiling sympathetically. He knew how scary earthshakes could be – he was even scared of them now – and knew that the feeling must be doubled for a little one like Tricia. “Cera’s right, Tricia. The earthshake is over and everything is back to normal, now.”

Tricia didn’t budge from her tiny resolve. Instead, she ducked behind Tria just as Topps and Grandpa Longneck went off to make sure everyone else made it safely through. Littlefoot looked up at his grandmother.

“Grandma? Can I go and look for my friends? I want to make sure they’re safe, too.”

Grandma nodded and smiled. “I think that’s an excellent idea, Littlefoot. In fact, I think I’ll come with you.”

Tria spoke up, nuzzling Tricia. “The girls and I will join you two as well. Come along, Tricia, sweetie. Everything’s okay.” She cooed softly. Cera rolled her eyes and grumbled.

“That’s what I’ve been trying to tell her,” she muttered under her breath.
=

Aw, I absolutely LOVE little Tricia!! hehe, that's a toddler's favorite word, "No!" innit?
J. R. R. Tolkein

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I love geography! :wow

Anyway this chapter been really good. I hope Ruby and Cera make up soon. You would think The Great Valley was really based in San Francisco. :lol

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mr Wonk,Jun 13 2012 on  12:05 PM
You would think The Great Valley was really based in San Francisco. :lol
haha, ikr? :smile, and the Great Earthshake in the first movie could be a direct reference to the Great Earthquake of 1906. Studied that in my class, what a disaster! :o

=Part Eight

Unbeknownst to the Great Valley inhabitants, the Rock Wall, which was used to block up the entrance to the Mysterious Beyond, had been severely weakened by the violent earthshake. In fact, it was already starting to slip from its foundation; not all at once, but pebbles and small rocks rolled down off the surface, followed by a large boulder, and then another and another. In a matter of minutes, a great deal of the wall had collapsed, leaving only the bare minimum on the ground left, averaging an alarming two feet in height.

This new occurance would not have been so bad if there hadn’t been a large pack of dull green fast biters stalking around the Valley’s borders. Not necessarily looking for a way to get inside, but just on the move. When the intoxicating smell of Leaf-Eater met their sniffers and overwhelmed their senses however, they made straight for the entryway, alert and hungry.

~

The first stop Littlefoot, Cera, Tria and Grandma Longneck made was Ducky's swimming hole. Mama Swimmer was already out, assessing the damage down around their cave and hole. She looked up at the approaching dinosaurs and smiled.

“Oh good, you're alright. Tyrone already went out with Topps and Mr. Longneck. I hope everyone else made it okay.”

Ducky, seeing her friends, skipped over. “I did not think an earthshake could get that big in the Great Valley, I thought we were safe here, yep, yep, yep.” She stated worriedly.

Littlefoot lowered his head for Ducky to climb on. “We are safe here, Ducky, but, well, things happen. Right Grandma?”

Grandma Longneck nodded. “Littlefoot, why don't you and the children go and play? The grownups will take care of this. Just promise me you'll stay close by.”

The children promised and, waiting while Spike lumbered to catch up with them, took off at a run to Petrie's nest. Littlefoot hoped that the flyers hadn't suffered much damage to their new home. Only a few days before, during the Days of Rising Waters, Mama Flyer was forced to evacuate her family from their old nest when running mud destroyed it. Petrie's new home was situated in a little cave at the top of a cliff, and the gang knew how reluctant the little flyer was at first to have to move, but now he was quite attached to the cave, and no one was sure how he or his family would handle another move in less than a week.

Upon reaching the cave, Petrie and his family were outside their nest, clearing the rock shelf off where they lived of small pebbles and rocks that had scattered across it. No one was hurt and nothing was damaged. Littlefoot sighed in relief.

Petrie flapped up to his friends and squawked, “You feel that big earthshake? And see big cloud of smoke? Petrie think it never end, but it did!” He waved his little wings wildly.

Cera snorted. “Well, of course we felt it Petrie, we all live in the valley, don't we?”

Littlefoot shot her a look, and then turned his attention to Mama Flyer. “Would you like any help, Mrs. Flyer?”

Mama Flyer shook her head. “No, no. We're fine, Littlefoot, thank you. Why don't you take Petrie out to play?”

Petrie whooped and flapped to land on Cera's back. “Maybe we go see who else need help. Where Chomper and Ruby?”

“We're going to check on them right n-” Littlefoot froze in mid-sentence as he turned to leave. Petrie's home faced the Great Wall, where the main entrance was to the Mysterious Beyond, but now, there was no wall! It must have collapsed after the earthshake. And as he watched, he noticed several fast biters leaping over the pitiful remains of the rock wall and enter into the Valley.

“Guys!” he shouted. “Fast biters are in the Valley! We have to warn the grownups!” He dashed back down the hill, calling out for his grandparents. “Fast biters in the Valley! Grandma, Grandpa! Help!”

Cera was at his heels, bewildered. “What's the matter, Littlefoot? What fast biters? I don't see anything.”

Littlefoot kept his eyes straight ahead as he answered. “ I saw them jump over the Rock Wall, and -”

“The Rock Wall?” Cera sputtered. “Littlefoot, no sharptooth, let alone a dinky fast biter, could cross over that Wall! It's too high!”

“It's not now,” Littlefoot argued. “The earthshake must have knocked it down, and we have to warn the grownups before too many get in!” He put on an extra burst of speed and the gang followed suit, passing confused herds out in the fields, cleaning up debris that had fallen. Littlefoot looked earnestly for his grandparents' faces. Where had Grandpa gone? Was Grandma still back at the swimmer's hole?

He was rewarded by the sight of his Grandfather, Topps, and Ducky's father, Tyrone, making their way towards them from the direction of the Fast Waters.

“Littlefoot, what is it?” Grandpa asked, concerned. Littlefoot and the gang skidded to a stop before they rammed into the grownups. Ducky, still riding atop Littlefoot's head, broke in to explain so Littlefoot and Cera could catch their breaths.

“Daddy, Littlefoot saw fast biters coming into the Valley, he did, he did,” she said to Tyrone. Before he or anyone could put a word in edgewise, all at once there came the sound of panicked screams and shouts of alarm.

Grandpa Longneck raised his head and squinted in the direction of the cries. “Oh no,” he breathed. “Children, get to safety. We'll handle this.”

The three grownups dashed over, running into several dinosaur sprinting from the opposite direction. Littlefoot could soon hear the awful screeching cries of the fast biters. He backed up, nodding at his friends. “Come on, guys,” he said, nodding towards the direction of their secret place. “Let's go!”

The gang followed him, all except Petrie, who flapped up into the air and cried, “Wait, what about Chomper and Ruby? Where- where are they?”

Littlefoot turned sharply and faced his friends. All around them, dinosaurs were either running towards the direction of the fast biters to force them out, while others retreated. The longneck dodged the running feet of various dinosaurs, but managed to take off in the direction of Ruby and Chomper's cave. “Follow me, guys!” he called.

Ironically, at that moment, a few fast biters appeared, leaping into the air, claws splayed and barking with glee at having found so bountiful a meal. The Gang screamed as one landed in front of them, saliva dripping from its open jaws. Behind him, Littlefoot saw another one land. They were trapped.

=

Heh, next chapter will be up soon-ish, please don't kill me for leaving you hanging... *slinks away*
Oh, also, I gave Ducky's dad a name... Tyrone. Thought it was pretty cool, now I need a name for Mama Swimmer... I have one for Mama Flyer...
J. R. R. Tolkein

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Tricia was so cute. Funny how I was listening to The Beach Boys: Good Vibrations the other day and this came to mind. :lol I don't think Tricia would like that song anyway. :lol I feel bad about Cera not being as good as Tria. (Being a mum)

I had to studied the 1906 and 1989 earthquake near and at San Francisco. (In school once) And in one of my exams I used the Japan erathquake as a example to. :DD

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh yeah, i remember the japan earthquake. My grandfather used to live in San Francisco, and he told me there would be earth tremors every so often. He was talking to someone on the phone and he felt a shake, and he asked his friend on the other line if he felt an earthquake, and the guy said yeah, and he was over a mile away :DD

=Part Nine

The fast biters gnashed their teeth and hissed as they moved in closer, forcing the Gang into a tight circle. Littlefoot's mind was racing. How could they escape? These sharpteeth would surely snap them up if they moved to run past them. Petrie, clinging onto Littlefoot's neck, whispered in a thin, frightened voice.

“W-what we do, now? Littlefoot, you have plan?”

Before Littlefoot could answer, a dark shadow passed over the quarried Gang and their assailents and the next moment, both fast biters were knocked into the air by… Tria and Grandma Longneck!

“That’ll teach you to come near our young ones!” Grandma bellowed, louder than Littlefoot had ever heard her speak. Tria shook her frilled head after bashing into the lead fast biter.

“Don’t hurry back!” She called after the dazed sharpteeth as they crookedly got to their feet and hobbled quickly away.

“Grandma!” Littlefoot rushed to his grandmother. “You saved us! How did you know where we were?”

Grandma Longneck smiled. “We heard about fast biters getting into the Valley and Tria and I both decided to come and find you children before things got too messy.”

“And I’m glad we did,” Tria mused, nuzzling Cera. “Looks like we arrived in the nick of time.”

“Oh, yes, you did, you did. You saved-ed us, Tria and Mrs. Longneck, thank you so-so much!” Ducky laughed happily. Spike nodded in agreement.

“But where are the rest of the fast biters?” Cera asked. Tria looked in the direction the fast biters had run off in. She frowned.

“From the sound of things, I’d say that the rest of the grownups are driving them off, but this really isn’t the safest place for you children to be right now.”

Grandma nodded. “Come with us, children.” She turned to lead the way farther into the valley, away from danger. Littlefoot stayed close beside his grandmother. He needed to tell her what he had seen.

“Grandma, that earthshake weakened the Main Entrance Wall. That’s how the fast biters got in,”

Grandma Longneck didn’t answer right away, but when she did, she sounded terribly worried. “Oh, my. We had better call a meeting when this is over. If the earthshake was strong enough to collapse the Main Wall, then it would certainly have opened up new crevices for fast biters to come through.”
~
~
Pterano harrumphed to suppress the urge to gripe about not flying well in a downpour. He had only said it five times already and Taylen had most likely heard him, even amid the loud smattering of liquid on hard stony ground of the cliff ranges they had just entered. At least we’re out of the grasslands now, he admitted sourly to himself.

The flyer and Egg-Stealer were on the road again and had been traveling through this deluge for at least an hour now. It could have been longer, but Pterano figured an hour seemed a reasonable estimate. It was possible they had been slowed down slightly by the limited visibility but they still had their sniffers to guide them, and Taylen’s sniffer was invaluable in that case.

The little Egg-Stealer kept close by the low-flying pterosaur, pale eyes squinted until they were almost shut and sniffer poised stock-straight ahead.

“Ahem, Mr. Pterano, sir?” Taylen spoke a little louder, hoping his voice would carry over. “Do you know when the sky-water will stop?”

Pterano chuckled bitterly. “When it stops, lad, when it stops. I’m sorry, but I don’t control the weather.”

Taylen sighed but continued on. He was steadily growing used to Pterano’s brusque temperament and sudden mood swings, like he wasn’t even sure about what state of mind he should be in. One minute he was cold and distant, and the next he could be gentle and open. The little dinosaur decided to stop thinking about the subject as it distracted his sniffer; not that there was much to sniff out in this inundation, anyway.

Pterano was starting to feel a little badly for being so disgruntled towards this youngster. He wasn’t used to traveling with one barely two cold times in age, but he knew that was hardly a reasonable excuse. It wasn’t like he meant to be ornery, but one had to understand his position: going back to the Great Valley after being sentenced to five cold times from the Great Valley was practically like signing any hope he had for the future away. Stay away? No problem, here I am again. Anyone miss me? Oh, what’s that? I’m not allowed back in? Funny… You say no more chances? Three strikes and you’re out? So long!

The flyer shook his head angrily. This wasn’t making him feel any better. Best not to think about it until we get there, remember? Just focus on getting the little one to his brothers in one piece. What happened to that? The sky-water wasn’t helping in the slightest, either. No matter what I do, something always goes wrong! Never once have I done anything right! Just once, can't someone see it from my point of view? Why I'm so diffident to return?!

Incensed, Pterano knew he couldn’t go on much longer in this fuming, distracted state. “Taylen!” Pterano blurted finally. “Hold up, lad, I need to… to stop.” He banked and landed on the ground, tottering slightly on the slick stone surface where he slumped onto his knees, breathing deeply, letting the sky-water course over his tired, frustrated body and trying to clear his jumbled, meaningless thoughts; trying not to scream in utter exasperation.

Taylen was immediately at the old flyer’s side. “Are you alright, sir?” he asked timidly, one claw reaching hesitantly outwards. “Do you need a break? That’s okay, I can – I can keep watch for you if you want to take a nap. I understand.” He rested the claw on Pterano’s shoulder, comfortingly, hoping the flyer wouldn’t smack it away.

“Is… is everything okay?” He asked again, quietly.

Pterano squeezed his eyes shut, halting the sudden flow of hot, hopeless tears. “I’m… fine,” he mumbled, just loud enough for his companion to hear.

A silence, punctuated only by Pterano’s choking breaths and the torrent still hailing from the sky without any sign of letting up, follwed. Taylen waited beside the flyer, claw still on his shoulder, nervously biting the edge of his beak. He knew something was wrong and he was also pretty sure Pterano was trying his hardest not to break down in front of him.

With that thought in mind, Taylen frowned, stepped in front of the flyer and awkwardly moved in for a hug. Pterano was caught completely off guard.

“What, what are you -?” He sniffled. Taylen didn’t answer; he just squeezed tighter.

“We all need hugs sometime,” the Egg-Stealer insisted, snout buried against Pterano’s neck ruff so his voice was slightly muffled. “–Even when we’re older; Mum told me that.”

Pterano, speechless, forgot his own grief upon witnessing this heartfelt gesture from the youngster. Hesitantly, he brought both arms up and placed them on Taylen’s back in a gentle return. The flyer could feel a small grin tugging at the corners of his beak and allowed it to remain. He had nothing to be angry about with this little one around. Taylen had the ability to put his misgivings to flight and he greatly appreciated that. It felt good to be hugged – Pterano had been hugged so infrequently during his life that this was a welcome respite.

At length, the sky-water ceased to fall and the two were left in the middle of a slick, craggy, cliffside path. Pterano registered the halt of the storm and slowly released the little Egg-Stealer.

“We’d best get a move on, then,” he remarked in a gentler tone. Taylen nodded, smiling.

“Do you feel better, sir? My Mum and Dad always said that a hug works best when someone’s down. Picks ëem right up, they said,” he nodded energetically, heartily agreeing with the principle. Pterano smiled and inclined his head in obligation.

“Yes, yes it did, lad. And I thank you for that. It… it helped, really it did.” He stood up then, wincing as his joints popped back into place after being in a squatting position for so long. The sky-water had cleared away the black clouds from before and left in its wake a crisp, clear midday. Pterano frowned at the position of the Bright Circle overhead and spread his wings.

“Come on, Taylen, we can’t rest yet I’m afraid; still have a ways to go.”

Taylen sighed, quickening his pace to match that of the flapping pterosaur over his head. “Yeah, I guess so. Sir?”

“Yes?” Pterano looked downwards.

“If… if you ever need another hug, just let me know, ëkay?” Taylen turned a cheerful, understanding grin in the big flyer’s direction.

Pterano thought his heart would melt as his reserve most certainly was. He nodded graciously and turned his head forwards again before Taylen could see him smile.

=
Aw, Pterano... we all need a hug sometime, right? Taylen, you're such a sweetie!

Sorry for the lack of uploads  but my summer classes are almost over, so I promise to upload more when (I'm sane again) they end
J. R. R. Tolkein

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
“We're going to check on them right n-” Littlefoot froze in mid-sentence as he turned to leave. Petrie's home faced the Great Wall, where the main entrance was to the Mysterious Beyond, but now, there was no wall! It must have collapsed after the earthshake. And as he watched, he noticed several fast biters leaping over the pitiful remains of the rock wall and enter into the Valley.

I could picture that happening as well!  :! I can't wait for the next chapter! :DD

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
HOORAY! summah classes are ovah! now I am free.... to work  lol
And you have no idea how many times I wanted to write 'The World Beneath' instead of the 'Mysterious Beyond'... and I don't even know why. This ain't Dinotopia, this is LBT!

=Part Ten

“Littlefoot, why don’t you tell everyone what you saw?” Grandpa Longneck asked of Littlefoot. It was later in the day, and many of the grownups were assembled in the Stone Arch of the meeting place. Those that weren’t present were watching the remains of the Rock Wall to ensure no more sharpteeth came through.

Littlefoot took a deep breath. “Well, it was after the earthshake and my friends and I went up to Petrie’s new home to see if they were all right. I, well, I looked over at the Rock Wall and saw that it had collapsed and several fast biters had entered the Valley.”

Topps huffed, impatiently. “Well, if that’s it, then what are we waiting for? Let’s go and build it back up!”

"Wait, Mr. Threehorn," Grandma spoke up. “If the Rock Wall suffered that much damage, then that means other entrances to the Mysterious Beyond around the Valley fell as well. We should build those up before we work on the Main Entrance.”

Topps frowned, not pleased at having his plan of action put last. "Why would we do that? In all the time it would take for us to build up every nook and cranny made by that earthshake, the sharpteeth could just waltz on in here and no one'd be the wiser!" He pawed at the ground.

Grandpa Longneck stepped in to the aid of his mate. "Please, friends, let's not turn this into another debate." He looked at Topps. "I agree that the Main Entrance will have to be repaired, but Grandma has a point about the smaller entrances. A fastbiter could just as easily enter through one of those as it could the Rock Wall, but," he paused. "But I think our main focus should be on repairing the Main Entrance as that's where the sharpteeth will most likely come through."

"But once they find they can't get through the Wall," Tyrone remarked, standing by Mama Swimmer. "They'll come looking for other places to get in by. Couldn't we set up scout parties to search for those smaller openings and close them up?"

"But how will we do that when we're trying to rebuild a wall?" Topps spat. Tyrone rolled his eyes.

"What do you mean, Tyrone?" Grandpa asked, patiently.

"What I'm trying to say is we can have the younger members of the valley, the children, search for those hidden entrances - as they'll be most likely to find them - while we grownups rebuild."

Grandpa thought for a moment and then turned to his grandson. "Littlefoot, do you think you and your friends would be able to find smaller openings to the Mysterious Beyond?"

Littlefoot answered cautiously, wondering if he should mention that Chomper and Ruby's cave was rife with such entrances. "Yeah, I think so. We know about a lot of the tunnels leading there and we can close them up."

Grandma asked, worriedly. "Littlefoot, can you promise me you won't go off on another adventure during all this? It would be too dangerous."

The little longneck figured it would come to this, but since nothing was happening that required him to go into the Mysterious Beyond, he figured there was no harm in making a promise to stay safe. It would put his grandparents at ease while they dealt with the Wall. He smiled a small smile and nodded.

"Okay, I promise, Grandma."

=
Ehh, short chappie... but I think y'all can tell where this is headed  hint... hint...
wait, where the frick are Ruby and Chomper?!?!
J. R. R. Tolkein

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
My gosh, I love this story! I think perhaps my favorite thing you did was actually get the Egg-Stealers' dialect right, which shows amazing attention to detail. Well-written, well-developed, and I can't wait for more!

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Heh, I'm just so out of it right now, going through awful writer's block and generally feeling lazy
anyway, sorry the last couple of chapters have been slow, this is where the action starts to pick u-- OMG!! THEY'RE FREAKIN' TR-?! erm, I mean, read on

=Part Eleven

Chomper and Ruby’s cave was nestled into the northwest side of the Great Wall; in fact, quite near the Rock Wall Entrance to the Mysterious Beyond. It was partially obscured from view by tall fronds and the fact that the entrance was rather lopsided and didn’t really look like an entrance at all.

Despite the unpredictable exterior, the inside of the cave was adjacent to numerous tunnels that all ended up leading to the Mysterious Beyond. Ruby and Chomper both agreed that a home like this would help them in their mission to find out more about Red-Claw, the tyrant sharptooth that was the new scourge of the Beyond; and possibly, how they would stop him.

When the earthshake hit, Ruby and Chomper dashed for the safety of their home, sliding through the entrance just in time before it was blocked off by a falling cave spike. Ruby shielded Chomper as she pushed him farther back into the cave where the cave spikes were fewer and the walls were sturdier; she knew that back here the cave could withhold immense force – force that would leave the front of their cave crumbling.

Upon reaching the rear of the cave, the two stopped, covering their ears from the terrific rumbling and trying to keep their balance on the unsteady, shaking ground. Before Ruby could tell Chomper to follow her to the absolute back corner to wait out this seism, it settled to a gradual halt and stopped.

That was before the few cave spikes cracked above their heads and rained down in an angry torrent to the floor, trapping them off in this back cavern; from here, there was only one way to run before they came out to the Mysterious Beyond on the other side. But, there was no time for second thoughts. Ruby and Chomper, pursued by the falling cave spikes and rolling boulders, they scrambled to the final entryway at the west corner and hurriedly cleared away the stones set up to shield them from the roaming sharpteeth beyond.

With the obstacles cleared, and the debris not letting up in the slightest, Ruby, despite her better judgment, and knowing there was no other way, shoved Chomper through the entry first before barreling out herself.

The two stood back as they waited for the dust to clear and the noise to settle. The roars and rumbles inside drew to a halt and there was silence from the inside of the cave. But there was a new problem – the rocks and boulders inside blocked Ruby and Chomper off from getting back inside their cave.

The pink fast runner sighed and hung her head. “Oh my, we should not have done that. Now we cannot get back inside.” She looked up and around them, worriedly. From far away, they could hear the strange cries of fast biters and other creatures that made this spooky place their home.

Chomper stared at the blocked-off entrance to their home. He bit his lip. “Well,” he said, trying to cheer his friend up. “We can always find another way back in. There are ways all around the Great Valley that lead here.” He laid a claw on Ruby’s shoulder.

“We’ll get back, you’ll see.”

Ruby looked at the little sharptooth, and then straightened and smiled. “You are right, Chomper – we’ll get back.” She looked up at the Bright Circle and her smile disappeared. “Soon, I hope.”

=

Bwa-ha-ha-ha... next part will be up soonish, what will the Gang do? Littlefoot, remember your promisssee  
Then again, won't be the first time he broke a promise... not to give anything away
J. R. R. Tolkein

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I want to give Pterano a hug! :DD

Thanks for these chapters. It made my day. :DD