The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Seems Like No One Likes Vista

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I've been a part of the demonoid community for quite some time, although I try to stick away from illegal stuff that's hosted there.  I just download stuff I can't get such as foreign films that are coded for a different region that I can't play here.  Anyway, let me explain what demonoid is.  It's the number one most popular torrent site on the planet.  You can download free programs, movies, music....tons of stuff.  It isn't legal though.  My point of telling you this is this site's like a pirate's network.  You can get windows vista or windows xp for completely free.  Take a look at this poll taken in the forums area:

More people are using mac than vista.  This is EXTREMELY irregular.  Not only that, but there's more than double the xp users than vista users.  Now if anyone would have vista, it would be these pirates.  They can get it 100% free but they don't.  Just goes to prove how much Microsoft's new OS just plain sucks. -_-

Timehopper

• Spike
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, I'm stuck with a Windows Vista. It was a Birthday present, so luckily I was able to get a laptop of my own. But I want a Mac. To me they're so much convenient and comfortable to use.

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Pretty much the same story here Timehopper. Except mine was Christmas and I'd be happier with XP.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
I think I must find myself trapped here...
Since I'm going to buy a laptop this summer, but there's no store in town who sells XP computers anymore... Only Vista.
I could change yeah, but still. :unsure:

/Lillefot

Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is very telling, that folks who can get free software still prefer Xp over Vista.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Bill Gates would be pleased to know that at least six are still using 3.1 :p :p

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Heh, I have the Mac OS X, and I love it to bits! :P:  :D  :lol:  :)  :DD  :^.^:  :wub:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I just got 3 new laptops and they all came with the dreaded vista.  All ya gotta do is wipe them with xp.  Some things don't work like the integrated webcams, but the other stuff does.  If I were the rest of you, I'd get a computer that's really fast from 2006 and just use that until vienna comes out.  Let's just hope it uses less resources.  Jeeze! :angry:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
and a fast laptop from 2006 would be cheaper then a new one also.  Also most users likely do not need a bleeding edge laptop if their main use will be web surfing, some word processing, listening to mp3's and other basic things like that.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Heh, I have the Mac OS X, and I love it to bits!
This is a very viable solution to most people, except Macs tend to cost more per unit of performance than a PC.

Gaming has been an issue forever with regards to switching to a Mac, but you can run Windows on a Mac through Bootcamp to solve that problem now.

Mac is very "day-to-day use" friendly, moreso than Windows in many cases.  Fewer daily tasks, fewer concerns regarding viruses, malware, etc. and very consumer-oriented.  Windows tends to be more enthusiast/gaming/business-oriented.  Vista tried to pull away from that, taking a move toward the Mac business model (approaching consumers with a computer that looks pretty) but as we've all seen, it didn't exactly have much success. :p

Mac is Vista done right.

As for me...I'm still on XP. :p :lol

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Bill Gates would be pleased to know that at least six are still using 3.1

Look more closely Petrie.  It says "Windows 2000- windows 3.1".  I can guarantee you no one's using windows 3.1 anymore. :p If anything, they're using 2000 pro for their business computer or windows NT or some other form of server OS.

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
in holland they got many holes in the antivirus

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Yeah, I'm running XP Media Center Edition, and I couldn't be happier with it, except for a tiny lack of support for a few DOS games - the DOS version of Doom doesn't run right even on the fastest computers; it slows down when sounds are played - which gameplay issues are solvable by running them in a virtual machine with DOS 6.22, or, what-have-you.  But, yeah, in my case, XP Media Center Edition - which is basically an upgrade of Pro, but with better support for 16-bit programs than Pro - I haven't had too many problems with yet!  I've hardly EVER had a crash, even with the dreaded Intel Celeron *choke* processors!  (Of course, I've applied some tweaks, too, but it's not like I'm really good at it, like landbeforetimelover probably is; I'm just running a few tweak programs, and, for web usage, I patch up all the security holes I know about...)

Unfortunately, I doubt Vienna will work better than Vista.  I don't recommend Vista to ANYONE that likes their PCs!  And, DirectX 10 will no longer be a problem soon...
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
even with the dreaded Intel Celeron *choke* processors!

If you know how to tweak your computer right, Celeron processors can just about match Athlon processors.  I don't have many computers with Celeron processors, but the ones I do have can match my other computers with other types of processors.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey lbtl, I have seen you on Demonoid...
I saw you when I searched for Land before time^^.

I don't like Vista at all, my mum has got it on her laptop, but I find it anoying. I prefer Windows XP. =)

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Totally agree, Mumbling...  Totally agree...

Well, landbeforetimelover, perhaps you'd like to post a new topic on how to super-tweak one's PC?  I've got a few programs, but, I'm certain that your expertise in this matter would be most helpful to more than one of us...
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Wouldn't that be specific to everyone's computer? I don't know thouhg, maybe there are a few tips we could all use (like get rid of Vista. What is the best way of going about that?)

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Getting rid of Vista?  Hmm - trash the disc!  Ha ha ha!

But seriously, you can reformat your drives with new partitions, using the XP disc.  Then install XP.  As I am feeling under the weather today, I don't feel like going into detail about it...  Maybe another day when I can think straight...  (Geez, goofing up an important response to an important topic is a very bad thing.  Fixed...)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey lbtl, I have seen you on Demonoid... I'm neonfreak18 heh(well actually its my boyfriends account be he doesnt use it and i do)
I saw you when I searched for Land before time^^.

Yeah, I hang out there occasionally.  It's not a very nice place though.  I don't exactly like being in the company of pirates, but it is a good place to talk about computers and stuff.

Wouldn't that be specific to everyone's computer? I don't know thouhg, maybe there are a few tips we could all use (like get rid of Vista. What is the best way of going about that?)

Fine.  I'll make a video about kicking vista's butt and also a video about supercharging your xp computer. :D