The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
For those who is interested in fanfiction:

I discovered this jewel of my favorite genre: horror.

Read only at night, alone, with turned off lights.

If you are interested and brave enough, there:

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/22323/

There's also two released sequels and one upcoming finale that would be released this spring.

Have to say:

Finale is fully released:

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/446462/theyre-never-coming-back

today will be long night for me...
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay, I've got quite a lot of news to share here.

First, you might recall back when the main series ended that I mentioned there were rumors there would be a few "clip show" specials, essentially specials with some new content mixed in with clips from other episodes throughout all nine seasons of the show, all based around that book of memories given to Twilight in that final episode. Although they are definitely confirmed now (a total of six full-length episodes, known as "Friendship is Forever" episodes), they have not yet aired here in America nor has any scheduled date of release been announced yet, but they have just recently been shown in Australia, so if you know where to look online, you'll be able to find all six of them available to watch. (I've already seen them, but I'll withhold sharing my reviews of them until after they officially air in the US.)

Second, the new releases of the comics that were postponed due to business shutdowns everywhere now finally have their new release dates announced. The Transformers crossover series will be in late July, while the start of Season 10 will be in mid August. Still quite a long time to wait, but at least now we have a definitive date.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2020/05/my-little-pony-comics-finally-get.html

And third, the upcoming new series "Pony Life" (the so-called G4.5 series intended to provide some form of new content between the end of FiM last year and the release of the new movie scheduled for later next year) has now finally got a confirmed day for when its first two episodes are scheduled to air, which will be on Saturday, June 13, at 11:00am (the same time as when episodes of the previous series used to premiere). There's been a lot of doubts among fans (myself included) if this show will be any good, but at least now we officially have a day when we can finally see for ourselves just what exactly this new series will be like.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2020/05/two-episodes-of-pony-life-possibly.html

So yeah, quite a lot of news to report, but at least this means we finally have some things to look forward to.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 05:03:50 AM by The Chronicler »

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2020/06/my-little-pony-pony-life-may-have-been.html
So it looks like Pony Life might not be starting next Saturday, as previously reported. After how long it's been teased and promoted, one does have to start wondering just how much longer we have to wait before we can finally actually see what the big deal is all about.

And just a few hours ago, EqD mentioned that MLP's official YouTube channel has been running a live stream continuously that's still ongoing. In addition, it looks like they finally added one of the three "choose your own ending" shorts that for some reason were never included with the others last year, which means I can finally share my review of that short. (And as far as I've kept track, the Equestria Girls shorts that still haven't been officially released on YouTube include those other two "choose your own ending" shorts, one music video from last year (used to be two, until one of them was added just three months ago), and two more music videos from the previous year.) Of course, due to YouTube's recent policy that prohibits links within "kids" videos, it's no longer possible to actually "choose" your preferred ending, and must instead watch all three on them in a specific sequence (though I'll write my review as if a choice was still available anyway).

Note: The short in question covers only the first five minutes of the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9TcaE6AAWc

Spoiler: ShowHide
Rainbow Dash is due to play a soccer game very soon, but she can't go out on the field because she's unable to find one of her socks. Rarity, Bulk Biceps, and Trixie all offer to help solve her issue.

Choose Rarity: Rarity sews a brand new sock for Rainbow, but takes so long to complete it that it's almost the end of the game by the time Rainbow is finally able to come out onto the field. Rarity had gone the extra length to add gems all over that sock, which Rainbow initially hates, until its high reflection ends up blinding the opposing players, allowing her to easily score the winning goal.

Choose Trixie: Trixie offers to let Rainbow borrow her own lucky sock for the game. However, during the game, that sock starts moving around on its own, as if it was enchanted with magic. Thankfully, its uncontrollable movements ultimately makes Rainbow score the winning goal.

Choose Bulk Biceps: Bulk offers to let Rainbow borrow his lucky sock, which has not been washed for six years. The stench is so horrible that everyone nearby recoils in disgust or simply pass out, which includes the players on the opposing team and thus allows Rainbow to easily score the winning goal. When Rainbow immediately gives back the sock, Bulk claims the sock wasn't lucky at all and he just wanted to teach her a lesson in self-confidence.

For this one, I think Trixie was the best choice, because she was quick to help and the replacement sock appeared to be the most practical one, even if it did seem to have a mind of its own. Rarity is a close second, mostly because valuable time Rainbow could've spent actually playing the game was wasted on excessive work on a sock that just looked ridiculous, even if it did help to score the winning goal. Bulk Biceps was definitely my least preferred option because that sock of his was absolutely disgusting, and that's all I really need to say about that.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 12:02:32 AM by The Chronicler »

- Berix

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Ah, I wondered when this was happening; I saw a couple of posts about it months ago and assumed it was already out by now. Fingers crossed it's a goodie...

...yeah, I started watching the series a while back; an overseas friend begged me to watch it and I eventually did. Turns out someone at Hasbro's been spying on me, because Sunburst is basically just me in Pony form (in terms of looks, attire, personal interests, etc)...=p

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
Aaahhh, I can't wait to see Pony Life...I just know I'm either gonna love it or gonna love to hate it! :p It all depends on how much continuity gets carried over from FiM...

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm sure I've already clarified this before, but just a reminder, Pony Life is not of the same continuity as FiM, with the only significant similarities being the basic personalities of each character (which is why most fans commonly refer to Pony Life as G4.5 to differentiate it from FiM as G4 and the not-yet-announced G5 that will get its start with next year's movie). As an example, according to one episode synopsis, television exists in the Pony Life universe, which after over 200 episodes over 9 season is clearly not something that exists in the FiM universe.

I will say it's getting annoying how we still don't have any definitive dates for when episodes of Pony Life will finally start showing, only the implication that it'll be "sometime very soon". I've even heard that Canada might end up premiering this show before America, if these unexplained delays keep up. Either way, I'll definitely be sure to mention here when the first episode of Pony Life finally shows up.

In additional news, the biggest MLP fanfiction site, fimfiction.net, was down for about 32 hours yesterday, apparently due to some hardware issue with their servers. Thankfully, the site's back up and everything seems fine, so I'll be able to continue working on the latest story of my fanfiction series (not to mention resume checking for other stories I'm interested in reading and adding them to my ever expanding "read it later" list).

- Berix

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I'm sure I've already clarified this before, but just a reminder, Pony Life is not of the same continuity as FiM, with the only significant similarities being the basic personalities of each character (which is why most fans commonly refer to Pony Life as G4.5 to differentiate it from FiM as G4 and the not-yet-announced G5 that will get its start with next year's movie). As an example, according to one episode synopsis, television exists in the Pony Life universe, which after over 200 episodes over 9 season is clearly not something that exists in the FiM universe.

I will say it's getting annoying how we still don't have any definitive dates for when episodes of Pony Life will finally start showing, only the implication that it'll be "sometime very soon". I've even heard that Canada might end up premiering this show before America, if these unexplained delays keep up. Either way, I'll definitely be sure to mention here when the first episode of Pony Life finally shows up.

In additional news, the biggest MLP fanfiction site, fimfiction.net, was down for about 32 hours yesterday, apparently due to some hardware issue with their servers. Thankfully, the site's back up and everything seems fine, so I'll be able to continue working on the latest story of my fanfiction series (not to mention resume checking for other stories I'm interested in reading and adding them to my ever expanding "read it later" list).
Honestly, I'd just prefer if they just pulled the plug on all FiM-related/associated productions after the finale of the core show. Just rip it off like a band-aid and get to work on G5.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info @The Chronicler, I haven't been keeping up with MLP news as much as I used to. So...Pony Life is basically gonna be modernized FiM, hmm? As for the continuity--I guess I should've clarified that I already knew it wasn't the exact same continuity, but I'm just wondering whether it's going to change so much that the Mane Six + Spike will be the only characters who get carried over. If characters like the Cutie Mark Crusaders, Applejack's family, etc. get erased from existence, this isn't gonna go over well with me.

And who's this Potion Nova pony, anyway? IS she even a real character, or just one that was invented specifically for the toyline?

Honestly, I'd just prefer if they just pulled the plug on all FiM-related/associated productions after the finale of the core show. Just rip it off like a band-aid and get to work on G5.

I'm nervous about G5. I hope they give us a new group of main characters instead of rebooting the adventures of Twilight and Co., because they're not gonna be able to improve on the Mane Six's original run. Yet, from a marketing standpoint, I'd say the fact that FiM was such a success means Hasbro's probably gonna want to keep using its main characters, so I'm afraid G5 will turn out to be Friendship is Magic 2.0 or something... :confused

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Thanks for the info @The Chronicler, I haven't been keeping up with MLP news as much as I used to. So...Pony Life is basically gonna be modernized FiM, hmm? As for the continuity--I guess I should've clarified that I already knew it wasn't the exact same continuity, but I'm just wondering whether it's going to change so much that the Mane Six + Spike will be the only characters who get carried over. If characters like the Cutie Mark Crusaders, Applejack's family, etc. get erased from existence, this isn't gonna go over well with me.

And who's this Potion Nova pony, anyway? IS she even a real character, or just one that was invented specifically for the toyline?

I'm nervous about G5. I hope they give us a new group of main characters instead of rebooting the adventures of Twilight and Co., because they're not gonna be able to improve on the Mane Six's original run. Yet, from a marketing standpoint, I'd say the fact that FiM was such a success means Hasbro's probably gonna want to keep using its main characters, so I'm afraid G5 will turn out to be Friendship is Magic 2.0 or something... :confused
Then they will fail and MLP's ten year winning streak will cease.

In 2020, I still look back at the trio of new shows they released "MLP: Friend is Magic", "Transformers Prime", and "G.I. Joe: Renegades," it still tickles me that MLP was the last one standing by quite a few years.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Still no definite release date yet for Pony Life, but today, a couple videos were revealed which finally gives us a true first glimpse of what this series will actually be like.

Trailer:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2020/06/pony-life-finally-gets-new-trailer.html
Intro:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2020/06/pony-life-theme-song-appears-on-youtube.html

I have to say, this is definitely... something, is all I can really say about it. I doubt it'll ever be among my favorite shows, but at least I can appreciate it for what it is. I'll watch all of the new episodes as they come out, but I probably won't rewatch them multiple times as I did with FiM episodes and Equestria Girls specials.

- Berix

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hmm...I don't know what I think yet, tbh. :olittlefoot

But there are more new videos now, one to introduce each Mane Six character. Interesting that Fancy Pants appears in Rarity's into for a second--now, if they include him, but leave out characters like the CMC or Discord, I'm gonna be really disappointed.

Here's the playlist!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUnS6VWqJBaZoYBXM_4qKTw_xSGw8SmgZ[/youtube]

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
All I see in that post is the trailer video, which I had already provided an indirect link to in my previous post (then again, I didn't bother actually playing that video to see if it switches to another video in some list after finishing the first video). Here, this page shows all of the character promo videos listed separately:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2020/06/pony-life-character-promos-appear-on.html
(Interestingly, they cover only five of the main six ponies, for some weird reason.)

And a quick reminder, it seems like the first episode is scheduled to premiere in Canada on Sunday. If it does, I'll try to see if a video of it gets uploaded somewhere later so I can watch it and later post a quick review of it here.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Looks like the first two episodes did actually show in Canada earlier today. For those of you who have not seen it but are interested in watching it, here are the video links I went with to watch these episodes.
Episode 1: https://sendvid.com/snqqosb6
Episode 2: https://sendvid.com/dnr2kxao

So it looks like the format for this show is that each episode covers only half of the old half-hour length we were familiar with, so that's only ten minutes for an entire episode. Not only that, but each episode is divided into two parts for some reason, so that's five minute segments that Pony Life is ultimately intended for.

Although the animation is a bit more wacky with cartoon physics ramped up to a high level, I was able to appreciate the level of humor this new show has going for it. In addition, the main six ponies are remarkably familiar in terms of their personality, with only the very slightest of differences to fit the zany atmosphere of this show, but most importantly is how they all have the exact same voice actresses as they had with the previous series.

Ultimately, my thoughts on this show are mostly unchanged from my first impressions. While I won't exactly consider this one of my favorite shows, I can definitely appreciate it for what it is.

Alright, that covers my thoughts on the show in general, thus far. Now to share my thoughts on the specific episodes.

First episode, Pinkie Pie plans to audition to participate in a baking reality TV show, the Royal Jelly Juggernaut, where one of the judges is Princess Celestia. Twilight is concerned that Pinkie will end up embarrassing herself, so she and the others try to help her control her wild behavior with poor results. A big sticky mess in the kitchen prevents all of Pinkie's friends from being able to be there for her as she auditions. But despite Pinkie being rather clumsy in virtually every step of the baking process, the resulting cake receives high praise from Celestia, so all of Pinkie's friends learn that they shouldn't have been so quick to doubt her chances of success.

Second episode, Rainbow Dash expresses pride at always being the best of the best, but a new guy named Dishwater Slog proudly brags about being the worst at everything. While Rainbow initially doesn't want to have anything to do with that guy, she is unable to refuse a competition when he challenges her to see which of them is the worst of the worst. Despite her efforts, Rainbow fails at the three challenges, but then she cleverly argues Dishwater is better than her in other ways (like being a total jerk to a child), thus leaving the score tied. They settle on a tiebreaker by whoever loses a race, but while they initially compete to back up towards the starting line, Rainbow gives in to her desire to win and rushes ahead to win the race. Although Dishwater tries to argue he won the contest by losing the race, Rainbow insists that she doesn't need to play by someone else's rules to feel like a winner.

I have to say, I'm quite impressed to see that, despite being wackier and zanier than FiM, Pony Life has shown that they also make the effort to teach valuable lessons and morals. I'm also glad to see they've brought back more voice actors than just the main six ponies, with Celestia having her same voice actress, and another familiar name voicing Dishwater Slog. As for these episodes in particular, it was fun to see the various ways Pinkie's friends tried to essentially tame her wild behavior, while I liked how Rainbow Dash was able to argue that she was worse than Dishwater at doing bad things as a way to keep the competition going. I know that doesn't sound like I have much to say, but let's face it, this type of show is not intended for in-depth analysis, so I might as well just roll with it and enjoy the fun moments.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
First off, some more videos were made available a few days ago, not only providing the sixth of the main pony character intros, but also an intro to the location of Sugarcube Corner, along with "best of" compilations of three of the main ponies (that some might consider spoilers for upcoming episodes).
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2020/06/new-meet-applejack-in-pony-life-video.html

And of course, we have this week's two new episodes shown in Canada, so here's the links I had used to watch them.
Episode 3: https://sendvid.com/xtreu83h
Episode 4: https://sendvid.com/efj9red8

First episode, Rarity is suddenly inspired to start wearing a hat just like the one Applejack wears, which quickly catches on as the latest fashion trend for everyone. As a result, Applejack starts having an identity crisis from feeling like she can't stand out like she used to, so Pinkie suggests trying to wear a new hat. After trying out a pilot, a firefighter, and an astronaut hat don't work out, Applejack settles on a black beret. After a while, Applejack continues to feel depressed, and eventually decides that she shouldn't let popular trends interfere with her identity and proudly goes back to her old hat. At the same time, Rarity had recognized how upset Applejack had been, and ends up forcing the start of a new trend to encourage everyone to abandon those hats, allowing Applejack to once again stand out as she used to.

Second episode, as Fluttershy struggles to prove she can be tough without being perceived as cute, she ends up meeting a new friend in the form of a talking cat named Bubbles. The two of them hang out together a lot, but when Fluttershy brings him along for working out at Rainbow Dash's gym and browsing Twilight's library, he behaves like an absolute jerk to everyone he encounters. Bubbles brushes off his rotten attitude as "sass", and every time Fluttershy tries to call him out, he just puts on a cute face and offers friendship bracelets, which gets instant forgiveness from Fluttershy. However, when he goes too far by insulting Pinkie right in her face, Fluttershy tries to make him understand how means he's been, to which he simply walks out to find a new friend instead. With encouragement from her friends, Fluttershy decides to confront Bubbles, and when he tries to put on the cute face again, Fluttershy fights back with her own adorableness, ultimately proving to be too much for Bubbles and he is sent flying away.

From the first episode, Applejack's imagination from trying those other hats seems to imply that modern vehicles like airplanes and firetrucks apparently exist in this version of the pony world. As for that new trend Rarity uses to get everyone away from Applejack's style of hat, it's those oddly designed sponge cubes that... turn out to be edible? Yeah, I don't get it, to be honest... For the second episode, it was nice to finally see Spike at that scene in the library. However, I really didn't like that among the mean things Bubbles said and did was telling a fart joke, despite how everyone (except oblivious Fluttershy) were justifiably disgusted by it. As for the way Bubbles was "defeated"... it just made absolutely no sense to me at all. Quite frankly, if anyone ever asks me which point of the series ultimately made me realize this show just isn't me, I can say with certainty that it was Episode 4.

So yeah, at this point, although I appreciate this show for what it is, I can now say that it just isn't for me. As a result, I have decided that I will not be rewatching any episodes I've already seen, and I will watch all the upcoming episodes only once purely for the sake of awareness on what exactly will occur in the entire series (both for me and so I can provide a brief review for anyone here who might not want to watch it but is at least somewhat curious about the content).

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
A couple more "best of" videos were released a few days ago, so now five of the six main ponies have been covered (the only exception for now being Twilight, interestingly enough).
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2020/07/my-little-pony-pony-life-best-of.html

And as is now usual, this week's new episodes (as shown in Canada), and the links I had used to watch them.
Episode 5: https://sendvid.com/ci0xfjxx
Episode 6: https://sendvid.com/ade84zw5

First episode, Rarity is able to ask Fancy Pants to spend some time together on a walk later that day, but some mishaps lead Fancy Pants to mention how "bad things happen in threes", causing Rarity to dread the possibility that the third bad thing might happen during their walk. Her friends are unable to assure her otherwise, and she escalates to the point where she is convinced the only way to prevent a disaster on her upcoming walk is to induce the "third bad thing" by sabotaging her friends' activities. This effort is thwarted by Gummy putting up a remarkably good fight that leaves her trapped in the pantry, and when her friends free her just in time for when Fancy Pants arrives, she finally realizes she should not have worried so much over such a silly superstition. And once she goes on that walk and tries to actually get to know Fancy Pants, he turns out to be so full of himself that Rarity becomes convinced the "third bad thing" all along is that she discovers she doesn't even like him after all.

Second episode, Pinkie Pie is preparing to appear in the final round of the Royal Jelly Juggernaut (the competitive baking reality show previously mentioned in Episode 1), but is unable to make any progress as each of her friends ask for her assistance for their numerous problems: Fluttershy is overwhelmed with foalsitting, Twilight fell behind on organizing some films, Rainbow Dash has gotten sick, and Rarity and Applejack want input on renovations to Sugarcube Corner. Pinkie struggles to keep up with everyone's demands and makes no progress at all in preparing for her appearance on the baking show by the time Celestia has to call in to remind her to show up. This causes Pinkie's friends to feel bad about asking too much of her, and offer to help her make a spectacular cake on the show. Despite Celestia declaring it the best cake she's ever had, she has to disqualify Pinkie for not making it on her own, as stated by the show's rules. Pinkie is devastated by this loss, but later regains hope when she is invited to the "all star" special for another attempt on that show.

For the first episode, it was rather amusing how Rarity's new headband getting soaked by that potion not only made it change color but also gave it the power to show ponies dark and evil secrets. I also have to admit I found it rather amusing how in Rarity's efforts to sabotage her friends' efforts she behaved just like Gollum, complete with the wall climbing ability and split-personality act with a raspy evil voice (which also kind of reminds me of the FiM Season 2 episode "Lesson Zero" regarding Twilight going completely insane). For the second episode, really the only thing I'd like to point out is the whole subplot of Rainbow Dash being sick, which leads me to wonder if this episode was finished or even started prior to certain real world events going on this year. Overall, I find it interesting that after just the first six episodes, all but one of the main six ponies have now had episodes focused on them, with the only exception being Twilight (which I find rather peculiar, considering she was practically the lead character of the previous series).

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Two more "best of" videos, this time covering Twilight and Spike.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2020/07/new-pony-life-teasers-for-spike-and.html

And for this week's episodes, interestingly, rather than being ten-minute episodes divided into two parts, these are instead separate five-minute episodes, so that's four of them in total for this week.
Episodes 7 & 8: https://sendvid.com/upe8t3lz
Episodes 9 & 10: https://sendvid.com/oakqui1a

First episode, Fluttershy has made it no secret how excited she's been to become part of some scout troop and earn badges for a chance to meet Fin-tastic the (talking celebrity) dolphin, who she is a huge fan of. When her friends receive the reply for their group application, they discover they've been rejected for being over the age limit. However, despite knowing they should tell Fluttershy the truth, none of them can bring themselves to potentially hurt her feelings, so they start making up various activities to earn fake badges to satisfy her.

Second episode, as a crucial part of being part of the scout troop, Fluttershy insists on selling cookies. Her friends initially agree to help out, but Fluttershy keeps pushing them into further increasing production and profits by any means necessary. Her friends eventually get burned out to the point they confront her with the argument that selling cookies was supposed to be just a fun activity for the scout troop, which they were no longer feeling under her brutal demands. Fluttershy apologizes, but when she sees Spike still caught up in the rush to help out, she does nothing about it.

Third episode, for earning another badge for the scout troop, Fluttershy's friends agree to help her explore the forest in search of the mythical "Bighoof" creature. But once they get out into the woods, many of them start getting easily paranoid at everything around. Fluttershy and Pinkie go missing for a little while, but are soon found with Fluttershy helping free Pinkie who was stuck in a tree. Fluttershy ultimately admits how unlikely she is to find that creature, and settles on taking a group selfie with her friends in the forest.

Fourth episode, Rainbow Dash gets distracted on her way to helping her friends arrange a fake party for Fluttershy's scout troop group (having still not told her the truth of rejection). In her rush to get everything done at the last minute, Rainbow overuses Twilight's duplicator machine and suddenly finds herself in a dystopian future that had been caused by her efforts with the duplicator. An elderly Tank with a communicator informs Rainbow that the only way to return everything to normal is to slow down and relax, and once Rainbow finally does that, she suddenly finds herself back in her present time, only now with plenty of time to prepare for the (fake) party.

Interestingly, all four of these episodes follow the same theme of Fluttershy's desire to be part of that scout troop (I honestly can't even remember what official name they gave it). Unfortunately, the fact that her friends hide the rejection letter from her and maintain the lie through all four episodes ends up making them all look really bad, in my opinion. Fluttershy's friends lying to her and she never learns the truth, Fluttershy practically bullying her friends into full obedience without shame, a search through the woods that pretty much leads nowhere, and Rainbow Dash seemingly time traveling by going too fast and then slowing down, all of it was just way too ridiculous for me. Last week's episodes had been decent enough to make me consider better appreciating this show, but this week's episodes, all four of them, brought me right back to the same conclusion I had made two weeks ago; this show is just not for me at all, I will not rewatch any episodes, and will watch all upcoming episodes only once purely for the sake of awareness. Though at least on the plus side for this week's episodes, we got to see the houses where Fluttershy and Twilight live, and we got to hear the pony-pun names of some well-known internet sites.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
To start off this week's latest news, the official comics are now beginning to resume releasing after being postponed due to the pandemic. This week's new issue is a relatively short one that serves as the official start of the "Season 10" series.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2020/07/free-comic-book-day-edition-of-mlp.html

As with previous weeks, there have also been a couple more "best of" videos for the Pony Life series.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2020/07/new-pony-life-teasers-with-more.html

And finally, this week's new episodes of Pony Life, and like last time, they're four five-minute episodes.
Episodes 11 & 12: https://sendvid.com/0cx19t4z
Episodes 13 & 14: https://sendvid.com/8m65kqmu

First episode, the Main Six prepare for a race where they build carts for their pets to drive. Although it's supposed to be just for fun, Rainbow and Twilight immediately get very highly competitive, pushing their respective pets to win. Once the race is underway, Tank and Owlowicious are so determined to win that they end up wrecking all four of the other carts in their wake. Thankfully, they notice the carnage before reaching the finish line, and turn back to help their competitors cross the finish line at the same time. This result forces Twilight and Rainbow to apologize for being too overly competitive.

Second episode, the Cutie Mark Crusaders are excited for opportunities to earn badges for their Trail Trotters Troop (FYI, that was the troop name I couldn't remember from last week's episodes). Despite some reasonable suggestions from the others, Rarity insists on performing a magic show, blatantly ignoring everything from her friends' discouragement, the CMCs eager to volunteer, her friends not agreeing to "volunteer", and Twilight's concern about using three potions at once on all of them. As a result, Rarity is horrified when she accidentally send her friends into "the void", and when the CMCs look up information on the potions to discover it was the result of Rarity's ignorantly selfish behavior, she repeats the trick on herself and brings her friends back with her.

Third episode, while Pinkie is saddened that her oven breaks down and has to be junked, Twilight arrives with a new machine that requires some extensive assembly. She's confident in her ability as the self-proclaimed "master of instructions", until she discovers the absurdly long instruction sheet consists of nothing but a bunch on incoherent diagrams with no labels at all. After she and her friends despair over those confusing instructions, Twilight decides to just make her own instructions, and cheers up Pinkie by asking her to help out. In the end, the completed engineering project turns out to be a new oven for Pinkie.

Fourth episode, Fluttershy is eager for her next attempt at a Trail Trotters Troop badge (for which her friends still haven't told the truth to her) by hiking up a volcanic mountain with her friends. She also insists on inviting Discord to join them (despite her friends' opposition to the idea), but Discord refuses to go due to simply being not interested. The Main Six eventually reach the top of the volcano, but Fluttershy is so desperate to have Discord join them that she tosses Pinkie's dessert monstrosity into the volcano, intending to start an eruption that would be chaotic and exciting enough to attract Discord. But now with the lives of her friends at risk, she quickly realizes she made a terrible mistake, though thankfully Discord shows up and stops the eruption. With Discord still not interested in joining her efforts with the Troop, she lies about the existence of a "Solo Scout" (though it's not lost on the others how that reaction is very much like how they've been lying to Fluttershy about the Troop, which they still refuse to admit the truth).

So it seems that it's Rainbow and Twilight who tend to be highly competitive in this series, rather than Rainbow and Applejack from FiM. While it was nice to see the Cutie Mark Crusaders again, seeing Rarity pretty much behave just like Trixie really brought down that episode (though it's good that her friends eventually called her out for her awful behavior, I'm sure some fans would have rather seen Trixie herself fill that selfish role more appropriately). I mentioned previously how Twilight had so far been the only Main Six pony to not have an episode focused on her, and it looks like this one where she struggles with instructions might be that first such episode. And finally, we also got to see Discord again, and although he's got a different voice actor (kinda makes him sound a little British), he's still very much the same as we remember from FiM (though it seems here Fluttershy has become far more obsessed with having him around, to the point where she outright ignores any worries from the rest of her friends). Overall, while it was nice to see Twilight finally get some attention, I still don't like how Fluttershy is being treated like she could get away with anything.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 04:20:18 AM by The Chronicler »

- Berix

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
And finally, we also got to see Discord again

Prior to the Discord episode, "Princess Probz" was the only Pony Life episode I'd bothered to watch, just because it was the first one. I heard some not-so-favorable things about later episodes (a fart joke in MLP??) that put me off. However, ever since I heard that Discord was going to return, I knew I was going to have to see how they handled that episode. My verdict?

"Discord's Peak" was just...weird. Peter New's voice acting as Discord was all over the place--one second it sounded passable, the next it bombed, and overall I doubt I'd bother to watch him as Discord again. Voice acting aside, though, Discord was still not the same. This low-budget animation didn't allow for really any entertaining antics from him at all. Heck, Rarity dropping her jaw and spilling a ton of gems out of her mouth early in the episode was more Discord-ish than anything Discord himself did in this episode. Now that the Mane 6's cartoony power has been amped up so much, Discord is the least wacky character in the show.
And then there's Fluttershy. :ChomperEww Oh my gosh, what did they do to her in this show?? She was just...a jerk, endangering all her friends just to get Discord's attention. This downright obsession she has over Discord now really isn't sitting well with me. It doesn't help that I never was into Fluttercord, but I don't even see how Fluttercord fans could applaud this characterization. If this kind of crazed infatuation is what Fluttercord looks like, who would want it? This whole episode felt like some bad Fluttercord fanfiction...

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
First off, the usual two more "best of" videos, essentially previewing some upcoming episodes.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2020/07/more-pony-life-clips-appear-with-few.html

And of course, these week's new episodes of Pony Life.
Episodes 15 & 16: https://sendvid.com/kvb7cykw
Episodes 17 & 18: https://sendvid.com/lubkmh8q

First episode, the six ponies decide to go camping out in the woods. Rarity is upset about not bringing any of her "glamping" supplies, and struggles to enjoy "the great outdoors" with the rest of her friends, at one point falling into a river and needing to be rescued. Eventually, Applejack explains that the point of camping is going outside your comfort zone, and assures Rarity that simply being out there with them allowed her to already fulfill that, giving her the confidence to finally start enjoying camping with her friends.

Second episode, Pinkie Pie is using so many appliances for her baking efforts that simply attempting to recharge her phone and tablet causes the power to suddenly go out. Because it'll take a while for the power to be restored, Twilight suggests she and the others pass the time by telling campfire-style stories. All six ponies attempt to tell their own version about a baking horror story involving a 27-layer cake, but all their different storytelling styles cause them to frequently argue. Once the power is eventually restored, they quickly unplug all the appliances to prevent another power failure, then they remark about how this incident will make for another interesting story to tell.

Third episode, the six ponies are making friendship bracelets out of various beads. Trixie shows up and tries to join in, but ends up making a mess of everything. The others try to convince her that there's a lot more to friendship than making and sharing bracelets, and one training montage later, her next attempt at a friendship bracelet is more successful.

Fourth episode, it's finally time for the winning Trail Trotters Troop to go for their "meet and greet" with Fin-Tastic the dolphin. As you might recall from previous episodes, Fluttershy's friends have been lying to her the whole time about their application for the troop, earning badges, and even about winning that contest. The others meet up with Fin-Tastic ahead of Fluttershy to inform him of their predicament, insisting that she's his biggest fan. Fluttershy is thrilled when she finally meets him, but while he plays it cool, he also exposes the whole series of lies her friends had fabricated for her. While Fluttershy is devastated and runs off to gather her thoughts and feelings, Fin-Tastic explains to the others (in his own unique way) that it's always best to be truthful right from the start. Fluttershy returns and comes to an understanding that, despite being due to that lie, she really did enjoy all those fun activities she did with her friends.

I pretty much expected everything that ended up happening to Rarity in her efforts to fit in with the camping trip, so that was nothing new to me. I did like the premise of a power outage being used, and while it was amusing to see the six ponies each have their own storytelling style, I found the contents of those stories to be a little hard to follow. I did like seeing the Pony Life introduction of fan-favorite Trixie, and it seems her behavior and attitude here is pretty much the same as what we saw throughout all nine season of FiM. And with the arrival of Fluttershy's ultimate goal of meeting Fin-Tastic, the big lie from her friends was finally exposed, but not only did I find it a little annoying that it took this long for the truth to be exposed, the resolution also felt rather underwhelming. Really, all I can say about these episodes is that I'm glad Fluttershy's fake-troop story arc is finally over with, and hopefully the upcoming episodes won't be quite as terrible.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
With the long-delayed comics soon to be releasing at last, we're now starting to see some preview pages of the ones coming up within the next week or two.
Part 1 of MLP/Transformers crossover: https://www.equestriadaily.com/2020/07/transformers-friendship-in-disguise.html
Issue 89 (start of Season 10): https://www.equestriadaily.com/2020/07/season-10-comic-preview-my-little-pony.html

No more "best of" Pony Life videos this week, but of course we still have this week's new episodes.
Episodes 19 & 20: https://sendvid.com/qcq7k8bo
Episodes 21 & 22: https://sendvid.com/fcp8laoc

First episode, after yet more fun with potions, Twilight questions where they even come from, but Pinkie realizes that they just simply appear in her fridge overnight. Twilight is determined to find out who keeps secretly delivering those potions, so she (with help from Pinkie, Rainbow, and Fluttershy) makes several attempts to stay up all night to see for herself, but ends up failing every time.

Second episode, Pinkie has been given a special order for cupcakes from Princess Celestia, but help is limited with Twilight and Fluttershy out sick, and even worse when Pinkie also ends up falling sick and has to leave the kitchen. Applejack also falls sick and is forced to go home, leaving only Rainbow and Rarity to figure out Pinkie's instructions. After struggling a bit, they try to ask for advice from Pinkie, but her sickness causes her to make even less sense than usual. Rainbow and Rarity soon discover the instructions specify to simply do the opposite of whatever delirious advice the sickened Pinkie tried to give them, which ends up practically automatically solving all of their problems very quickly.

Third episode, the Main Six are greeted by Potion Nova, who reveals herself to be the mysterious supplier of all those potions. She has chosen to reveal herself because she needs help reaching the Potion Ocean to resupply her potions. After a long journey across the land, they arrive at the Potion Ocean, where Potion Nova admits that the only real reason she asked them all to come with her is because she simply felt lonely on journeys, though she does eventually accept Twilight's request to become her apprentice.

Fourth episode, the Main Six try to have fun at the beach on the shore of the Potion Ocean, with Potion Nova warning them to stay away from the "Cute Triangle" where things vanish. Applejack tries to get everyone together for a group activity, but constantly ends up frustrated with everyone frequently wandering off to do their own things. Eventually, Applejack forcefully demands everyone to stick together in a small area between three rocks, which happens to be the "Cute Triangle" and soon turns into a column of water that submerges them all. They quickly work together to gather some various lost items around them and make their escape.

So it seems the next story arc will focus on the source of all those potions. From the first episode, I liked that very brief glimpse of how, just like in FiM, Twilight used to live in a tree house until it was blown up, though in this case it was from a failed attempt to recreate one of those potions. The one where almost everyone ends up falling sick seems so relevant to recent times that I have to wonder if it was done deliberately for that reason. Not only do we finally meet the pony supplying the potions (whom Twilight is very eager to learn from), but we also got a brief glimpse of a map of the land of this world (which is apparently a large island, with Ponyville located on the southwestern corner of it). I also liked how the third episode opened with a sort of meta reference about how they haven't been on any magical adventures and instead have been through more comedic circumstances recently. And with the following episode taking place right at the same beach where that episode ended, I'm now left wondering how many more upcoming episodes will continue what is now clearly the third story arc of this series (following Pinkie's Royal Jelly Juggernaut and Fluttershy's Trail Totters Troop).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 07:20:50 AM by The Chronicler »

- Berix