The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Possible evidence for a ninth planet

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Findings published in the Astronomical Journal seem to point to the existence of a large ninth planet existing outside the orbit of Neptune.  The paper argues that the alignment of the Kuiper Belt objects in space points to the existence of a planet 10 times the size of Earth with a highly elliptical orbit.  No actual planet has been found yet, but if it exists where the research think it does then it would take 10,000-20,000 years to orbit the sun.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That'd be the biggest space related discovery of this millenium I think :o hope they stay on it and try to verify/falsify that theory. :yes
Inactive, probably forever.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Couldn't really understand that paper when I tried looking at it. But thankfully Scott Manley made a nice little explanation video for it.  :)littlefoot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uLvynZjMWM

Really interesting theory there. Later in the year, they want to get some telescope time on the Wise spacecraft's telescope to look for it. It's gonna be hard to pick up a possible planet so far out there, though, since it'd be so cold from being so far away from the sun, so it wouldn't be emitting much infrared light at all.

Course, it could just be some other process or phenomenon that no ones discovered yet, which would be really cool too. :D
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I love this discovery, I love Cosmology & I know that there are more planets out there!
8 years with TGOF :yum

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
this extra planet makes our solar system more normal, as many  solar systems have a super Earth planet, one several times bigger than Earth but smaller than a gas giant. This planet likely formed much closer to the sun, then was flung out after interactions with Saturn and Jupiter over millions of years.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these: