The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Voice acting

Dracorider19

• Spike
  • If you wanna be great, let greatness surround you
    • View Profile
I've been interested in the art of voice acting for a long while. Some of the more notable voice
actors/actresses I learned about are Frank Welker, Jim Cummings, Tara Strong, Rob Paulsen, and
Tim Curry.
I've tried doing some voice acting myself, and I think I am pretty good at it.
The characters I have done impressions on include Goofy (I can do a good Goofy laugh),
a hillbilly-like character I made up, Stitch from Lilo and Stitch, and even Emperor
Palpatine from Star Wars.
What I learned while doing impressions and looking up information on voice acting is
that while voice acting not only do you change your voice for a character, but you also
adopt the personality and mannerisms for the character you're acting for. My uncle,
who is a big Star Wars fan, said I matched Palpatine's character quite well when
doing an impression of the Sith Lord.
Have you ever tried voice acting? Let me know.

Blitz

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dracorider19,Mar 23 2017 on  12:21 AM
I've been interested in the art of voice acting for a long while. Some of the more notable voice
actors/actresses I learned about are Frank Welker, Jim Cummings, Tara Strong, Rob Paulsen, and
Tim Curry.
I've tried doing some voice acting myself, and I think I am pretty good at it.
The characters I have done impressions on include Goofy (I can do a good Goofy laugh),
a hillbilly-like character I made up, Stitch from Lilo and Stitch, and even Emperor
Palpatine from Star Wars.
What I learned while doing impressions and looking up information on voice acting is
that while voice acting not only do you change your voice for a character, but you also
adopt the personality and mannerisms for the character you're acting for. My uncle,
who is a big Star Wars fan, said I matched Palpatine's character quite well when
doing an impression of the Sith Lord.
Have you ever tried voice acting? Let me know.
I absolutely love and enjoy doing it. I can do a very good impression of a handful of characters, such as:

Vegeta (Dragon Ball)
Lumpy Space Princess (Adventure Time)
James (Pokemon)
Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Filburt Shellbach (Rocko's Modern Life)
Imperfect Cell/Perfect Cell (Dragon Ball)
Yami Yugi/Atem (Yu-Gi-Oh!)
Master Splinter (TMNT 2003 Series)
Maximillion Pegasus (Yu-Gi-Oh!)
Kermit the Frog (Muppets)
Adult Gohan/Great Saiyaman (Dragon Ball)
Otacon (Metal Gear)
Michigan J. Frog (Looney Tunes)
Raphael (TMNT 2003 Series)
Mo (The Land Before Time)
Stewie Griffin (Family Guy)
Slippy Toad (Star Fox Assault)
Big Daddy (The Fairly OddParents)
Piccolo (Dragon Ball)
Knuckles the Echidna (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic the Hedgehog)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
some of the impressions i've done include gollum from LOTR. The Joker from the Darlk Knight, and Christopher Lee. I've been told my Joker impression is downright creepy, its so accurate
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Dracorider19

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22,Mar 24 2017 on  01:50 AM
some of the impressions i've done include gollum from LOTR. The Joker from the Darlk Knight, and Christopher Lee. I've been told my Joker impression is downright creepy, its so accurate
I've tried doing Gollum too. At times my impressions do sound a lot like Gollum.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
The first voice you should perfect is the natural speaking voice. Don't worry about Gollum and Mickey Mouse and Professor Farnsworth if you haven't put time and practice into speaking with a neutral, unstressed voice at a normal level. All voices/accents/characterizations derive from the default. Practice enunciating your syllables, maintaining a constant speed of narration, and controlling your breathing. Most people who hire you for voice-acting probably won't be looking for wacky character voices. I voiceover for tutorials, here's my most recent gig
here's my most recent gig and its pretty standard fare for the industry.

You should also practice forming and maintaining a relaxed, conversational tone when on mic. Quantity beats quality when you're starting out, I've been releasing Youtube videos at least once a week for over a year
I've been releasing Youtube videos at least once a week for over a year just to become comfortable with the art of voice-acting (and video editing, killing two birds with one stone).

Dracorider19

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Mar 29 2017 on  12:01 AM
The first voice you should perfect is the natural speaking voice. Don't worry about Gollum and Mickey Mouse and Professor Farnsworth if you haven't put time and practice into speaking with a neutral, unstressed voice at a normal level. All voices/accents/characterizations derive from the default. Practice enunciating your syllables, maintaining a constant speed of narration, and controlling your breathing. Most people who hire you for voice-acting probably won't be looking for wacky character voices. I voiceover for tutorials, here's my most recent gig
here's my most recent gig and its pretty standard fare for the industry.

You should also practice forming and maintaining a relaxed, conversational tone when on mic. Quantity beats quality when you're starting out, I've been releasing Youtube videos at least once a week for over a year
I've been releasing Youtube videos at least once a week for over a year just to become comfortable with the art of voice-acting (and video editing, killing two birds with one stone).
Thanks for your advice. I'll use some of your advice to practice my voice acting
for Palpatine, my hillbilly voice, and Stitch.
While I'm not pursuing a career in voice acting, since I don't think I'm that good
enough, the art is one of my many hobbies.

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Guess who back? Back again?
    • View Profile
I've aspired to be a voice actor ever since I was at least ten years old or so. I've always been impersonating characters as a hobby since then, and hopefully it may become a career for me at some point. Recently, I have been starting to gain success in the MLP fandom, having landing a role in a fan project and looking for more to do in the future, while also producing stuff on my brony YouTube channel.

For voices I can do, I can do some relatively good impressions of many characters. Among them, I can do an almost deadly-accurate Petrie, as well as other LBT characters (mostly male). For the MLP verse, I can do a decent Fluttershy, Zecora, and most of the male characters featured.

There are plenty more I am able to do, but to do so would take a millennium to list.  ;)

Mr. Clubtail

• Chomper
  • LITTLE THINGS ARE AWFUL I HATE EM!
    • View Profile
Even though I'm no voice actor and am only 14 years old, those are the following characters who I can do a decent impression of:

Patrick Star

Beast (Only in his beast form, though.)

Baloo

James P. Sullivan

Mr. Waternoose

Louis the Alligator

Manny

The Narrator from Disney's Beauty and the Beast

Mr. Incredible

Scar

Jafar

Ultimate Super Executive Drek (From the first Ratchet and Clank game, not the movie even though I haven't really listened to any clips besides a trailer for some YTP based on the movie.)

Gaston

Lumiere

That man with the moustache who said "We're not safe until he's dead"

Sebastian

Mr. Potato head

Heimlich

Cobra Bubbles
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 04:49:41 PM by Mr. Clubtail »