The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Pirates of the Caribbean 3: A World's End

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
and I'll tell you there's so much going on you're going to miss something if you blink, quite literally.
I totally agree with that.  It's Very easy to get lost very quickly in this film.  If you're not paying attention for a moment, or if you forget something...you will be a 'dazed and confused' for awhile.  I know; I was! :p

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
I actually saw it May 24th at 9:30pm and it went until 12:15 in the morning.  Yeah.  I do reckon it was a really good movie.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
SOmeone told me not to see it because the critics didn't like it but I don't listen to the critics.  The critics are idiots anyway and I choose to make my own opinion.  I don't care what they say, this movie was wonderful!  It was way better than the second one.  I might go see it again.

Keni

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~sorawtk
Definetly the best in the series, in my opinion. I loved it, lots of humor moments and good emotional scenes. Definetly a must-see movie of the summer.

KingdomKey23

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, I just saw it. It was pretty good. I dunno which one out of the second and third was better because first was better than both.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Lain_EX

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Me and my family went yesterday to the movies to watch it. It was fantastic! I liked it!

BTW, My mom bought a Jack Sparrow costume for my brother and the day we watched it, she put on the costume on Kevin (that's my brother's name), and some people there wanted to take pictures at him with their children, like some guy wearing a Jack Sparrow costume on Disneyland. LOL Anyway, the movie was great, and the last part made me think they'll be a 4th movie on the way. Don't you think?

General Grievous

• Spike
    • View Profile
I want to see it again!  It rocked!  So many plot twists!
Spoiler below!

The only thing I didn't like was that Sao Feng wasn't in it for very long.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Upon release of Pirates 3 to theatres, I felt like playing a little something for you all:  The sound quality is terrible, I'm sorry.  Something happened during recording which I can't explain; it was weird...Also the sound is a little out of sync; again, not exactly sure why.  I recorded the sound in Goldwave, the video on my camera and spliced them together in VirtualDub.

Anyways, I'm not a very good piano player so bear with me!  This is basically the best I can do and I don't have the left hand learned well enough to play it along this fast melody!  I mess it up enough as it is LOL. :lol

The file is an AVI video using DivX for video and mp3 for audio, like my LBT episodes.  If they work fine, this should work fine for you as well.

Enjoy!
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SIZ7MFG8

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm probably gonna be the only one in this thread who says this but...........

I thought it was OK.See I like just about every movie.But I don't really like most of the Lord of the Rings, POTC, or StarWars movies. I actually fell asleep during all of them for a few minutes at most of them. I'm starting to think I have a bit of a SAS(Short Attention Span) when it comes to the longer movies.I thought it was ok though. Didn't really understand the plot though.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I saw it on opening night, and i thought it was a great show. If the series keeps going, i don't think they could be more climactic then that.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I saw it yesterday. Altogether I liked it. There were many impressive scenes and it sure is interesting to have a story with a really complex plot for a change. I do see the point of those however who consider it too complex to understand everything after seeing the movie only one time.

SPOILERS BELOW

It was not alway easy to keep track of who was conspiring with whom against whom to achieve what only to be betrayed by whomelse ;)
Also they did leave out some explanations which I think would have been in place. E.g. how Calypso reanimated Barbossa (of course she is a goddess, but I had assumed some explanation along about how she got the body and if the monkey "Jack" had anything to do with it). From what I read in the internet after watching the movie a scene was cut which explained that Davy Jones got his monsterous appearance and the course to sail with the Flying Dutchman in all eternity after Calypso didn't come to meet him after ten years at sea (which of course caused some of the harsh feelings between the two). The inclusion of that scene would have created a somewhat more happy end, as Will would have been freed of the course after Elizabeth's showing up to meet him after ten years (the scene after the credits which some of you missed). This would also open up a loophole for a fourth movie which they might produce after several years of declaring that there will be none. We'll see.
After seeing the trailers I had expected to see a really large see battle. The Trafalgar I was looking for did not occur as only the few selected ships came forward to take up the fight while the big Armadas on both sides just sat still doing nothing at all apparently not even taking notice of Calypso's wrath. We have yet to see a battle with more than three ships involved. The battles we saw of course were masterpieces of action and effects.
I had expected that knife Bootlace Bill had given to Will in the second movie to play a more important role. I thought Bootlace Bill would be the one to stab Davy Jones' heart sacrificing himself for his son. It may be a good thing though if the story was not that predictable but still held surprises.
I was not really sure what to make of all those hallucination Jack Sparrows. Were they just a comic relief (guess it must be really hard for someone with CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow's ego to see himself surrounded by his clones :lol) or did they have some deeper meaning?

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
I saw it, and I enjoyed it immensely, though my father said it didn't have meaning and wasn't anything he could carry with him longer than tomorrow. Davy Jones is (was) my favorite character, and I was quite sad to see his death be so overshadowed by the 10,000 other things going on.

Dwalin

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I just saw the film and there is one thing I really don't get: why are the viewers supposed to sympathize with the main characters? These pirates aren’t even like Robin Hood, who at least gave some of his money to the poor. They are just thieves, robbers and mass murderers. But here we have an idealization of piracy, while the East India Trading Company is portrayed as something evil. This is underlined by some scenes, like the hanging of a child at the beginning of the film. But, sadly, the producers didn't show us anything of what THE PIRATES did with the inhabitants of the cities they pillaged and the crews of the ships they captured. They slaughtered much more innocent people than any corrupt politician like Beckett did. So why are we supposed to sympathize with them? In the first film it was not that bad: the main character didn't even want to be a pirate: he was forced to join them by the circumstances and the plot was centered on an opposition between a really evil and cruel pirate ( Barbossa) and one who was not THAT bad ( Jack Sparrow). The second film was focused on Will's attempts to save Elizabeth from the gallows and then his father from Davy Jones's ship. At least there were some noble purposes and some distinction between good and evil. And in the third film everything is different – nearly all noble intentions of the characters seem to pale into insignificance. The main purpose of everything they do is to save the piracy from destruction. They also resurrect Barbossa and accept him as their friend, not bothered in any way by the slaughter that his crew did in the city in the first film. What kind of morality is that? And what do we get at the end? The East India Trading Company is defeated and the pirates are free once more to rob, steal, and slaughter everyone in the seas, without any more obstacles in their way. In my opinion, it would have been better, if Beckett won the war at the end. Of course, he was a murderer too, but at least, most of his victims were thieves and murderers themselves ( though not all of them, of course), while the pirates' victims were mostly innocent people.
There is also another thing that really bothered me: when the pirates raise their flags before the battle, there is one with a red skeleton on a black background: I wonder if the producers of the film ever remembered, whose symbol it was. That, in fact, is the flag of Edward Low, one of the most cruel  pirates in history, particularly famous for his brutality and sadism, which included acts such as cutting off a victim's lips, cooking them, and forcing the victim to eat them. Not a particularly appropriate characterization for a character we are supposed to sympathize with, isn't it?
One minor question: why did Beckett order to kill the kraken? He could use him against the pirates.

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dwalin,Jun 10 2007 on  12:58 PM
One minor question: why did Beckett order to kill the kraken? He could use him against the pirates.
Beckett told Jones to kill the Kraken because Beckett knew it could be used against him. It was to be on the safe side just in case Jones turned against him.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
In a way this movie doesn't have many heroes, but mostly anti-heroes. I consider it an interesting change from the usual set of more predictable Hollywood characters.
We never saw Jack Sparrow murdering innocents, but in his position he probably did. It would be interesting to know a bit more about Beckett and his motives. While we cannot tolerate the hanging of a kid in PoC 3 we may be unaware and therefore more tollerant about kids being killed in the raids of other pirates (Will Turner for once had been left to a gruesome dead on a piece of wood when he was still a child in the first movie). As for Beckett, does he want the seas to become saver to prevent fates such as that of Will in the first movie? Is he really to be condemened without any ifs and buts?
Moreover there is an indication that he in fact gave some quarter on an earlier occassion. We may consider burning a P for Piracy on Jack's lower arm not exactly a kind act, but as the gallows were the usual punishment for piracy it appears that Beckett used to be more lenient than he was in the 3rd movie.

Pirates of the Carribbean was so far removed from recorded history (zombies, mutants, curses, a goddess) that I think it would be exaggerated to see the presentation of historical Pirates' flags as a kind of justification of their actions. Unlike some other symbols for atrocities few people will know more about these pirate flaggs than that they appear in some pirate computer games :rolleyes:
For the record, Low's flag was not the only historical flag in the movie, nor was his flag the only one presented in spite of the attrocities committed by the creator of that flag.
There was also the flag of John Rackham (Calico Jack). A skull with crossed swords below it. He did not become well known for attrocities, but more for the fact that he and the male part of his crew turned out to be less valiant than the two female pirates in his crew, Mary Read and Anne Bonny.
The flag of Christopher Moody (winged hour glass, arm holding a dagger, and a yellow skull with crossed bones, all on a red background), which was also in the movie, stands for a pirate more notorious for never giving quarter.

Dwalin

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ratiasu,Jun 10 2007 on  06:29 PM
It was to be on the safe side just in case Jones turned against him.
How could he? That would be suicidal for Jones. Beckett had his heart, so he could kill him every moment.

Quote from: Malte279,Jun 11 2007 on  03:08 AM
For the record, Low's flag was not the only historical flag in the movie, nor was his flag the only one presented in spite of the attrocities committed by the creator of that flag.
I know. I just took him as an example because he was the most sadistic of them.
By the way, Rackham's and Moody's flags are probably fictional, as is stated here:  http://www.bonaventure.org.uk/ed/flags.htm - there were not found any reliable source that confirmed their flags really looked like that. The same goes for Henry Avery's flag, which was also featured in the film ( or maybe it was just one very similar to his - I don't remember if it had the same colour).

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dwalin,Jun 11 2007 on  04:25 PM
Quote from: Ratiasu,Jun 10 2007 on  06:29 PM
It was to be on the safe side just in case Jones turned against him.
How could he? That would be suicidal for Jones. Beckett had his heart, so he could kill him every moment.
It was just a precaution, and Beckett doesn't have to have a good, plausible reason, with what his hanging of children and having tea time before a huge battle and such. Plus, I can see Davy's crew surprising the people guarding the chest, like they did in the second movie when they all suddenly appeared on the Black Pearl and got everyone by the throat before anyone knew what was happening.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile

General Grievous

• Spike
    • View Profile
Ok who's ready for the dvd to come out already? :bang  My guess is that it will come out in November but I'm too lazy to actually check.  Anyway, that will be something I want for Christmas.  That and Spider-Man 3.