The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What different purchases have you made recently?

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Does a house count? I bought a house  :opetrie

Big purchase! Congrats!

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
Those pictures look great, Mumbling! I'm most amazed by the living room and the backyard. The latter surely looks like a great place to hold a barbecue. I'm curious, how much did you end up paying for it? You might have mentioned it on Discord, but please excuse my forgetfulness. :bang

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Groceries, especially Pellegrino Mineral Water. 

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
Your house looks great Mumbling! It looks so new, and I like the color scheme! :)
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Those pictures look great, Mumbling! I'm most amazed by the living room and the backyard. The latter surely looks like a great place to hold a barbecue. I'm curious, how much did you end up paying for it? You might have mentioned it on Discord, but please excuse my forgetfulness. :bang

Thanks! I realllllly love the backyard, it's so big and the whole house feels very spacious!

Yeah I ended up way overbidding due to the housing situation (which I'm sure is collapsing now due to covid-19... oh well ;) ) It ended up costing me 375k, which is an insane amount of money, but it should give me a nice house in a nice neighborhood in which I should be able to live for 30+ years if all goes well. Plus I'll only live 30 minutes cycling from my job, which is a huge improvement over 1+ hours in public transport ^^

Thanks Owls! The house is actually from the 80s, but the current owners took really great care of it so it is in a very good condition.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
375K, behemoth purchase! A friend of mine was able to cycle to work and back, he loved it. Great exercise and a break from traffic congestion. Also good for the environment. 

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yikes, that is a lot of money spend on a house. But I see it was one worth investing in. Hope things go well for you. :)

Thanks Owls! The house is actually from the 80s, but the current owners took really great care of it so it is in a very good condition.

For real? From the 80's? If so, that house has been extremely well-kept over the years and they did an amazing job with it. Honestly, I wouldn't have been able to let go of house so beautiful such as this. :p

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That's what you get for wanting to live in/near a big city, in a house rather than an apartment. Most houses we looked at actually started bidding at 375K so in that respect we got "lucky".

Indeed! We wanted something modern and I was quite against houses from before the turn of the century. However these people took such good care of their house and did many renovations over the years, which led to this house being quite modern on both the outside and the inside, while being a lot more spacious than newer houses. Win-win! :)

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wow! That is a gorgeous modern house, Iris!  I love the interior design.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
@Mumbling: Thank you! :)

I took a look at the photos of your newly purchased home, and I’m widely shocked and amazed of how much you garnered from only a purchase of $375k. It’s a humongous amount of money to spend in itself, but I only expected this level of modernization, cleanliness, vividness, and beauty from a prize range of greater than $500k at the very least. But then again, housing prices very greatly depending on location. It was also very nice as you already said of the previous owners preserving 80’s built house, which I also bet kept the price down after a terrific renovation. Bonus points for the nicely trimmed hedges in the front and backyard, which reminded me of the French gardens I saw at Oheka Castle on Long Island as part of a school field trip. I can never imagine a backyard without grass though — but hey, no lawn mower maintenance, am I right? :lol

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thanks for the compliments everyone. I can't wait to move in in two months from now.

Loving the different reactions to the price of the house. Really says a lot about different cultures and what is "normal" for everyone :lol

For me personally, the house is definitely on the expensive side. Just about 4 years ago a similar house sold in the same street for just 265k. But with the housing marketing being what it is (large demand, little supply) I am just glad to have found a house that we both love and has all the things that we desire in a house. In the end the price per month is very close to what we pay in rent now - so a big win there.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Different cultures definitely were showcased here upon everyone's thoughts, and that is what I find interesting with comparing what you know to something someone else is familiar with. :wise

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I recently purchased a new chair for myself. My previous one was basically antique and broken, so it was about time to put my money into good use. I got it for 179€, which was not bad as I really liked how comfy it was. A brief conversation with the salesperson also brought up an interesting topic as more and more people have invested money in work chairs. I wonder why? :p

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I bought a Jurassic World Carnotaurus.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I bought donuts and a Thai iced tea this morning. They were delicious.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i purchased Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego for the PC. Loved the show growing up.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I purchased Star Wars: Knights of the Old Repubkuc for 9.99 USD. A steal conapred to the 50.00 USD I paid for it back in the day. 

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I purchased Star Wars: Knights of the Old Repubkuc for 9.99 USD. A steal conapred to the 50.00 USD I paid for it back in the day. 
Nice! KOTOR was a fun game.

About a week ago I got some new stuff for my camera. On the right is a new 35mm prime lens. It's a fixed focal length so that means I cannot zoom with it, but it's a cheap option for a good quality lens. Fixed focal lengths also force you to move around, which can help with thinking about changing your angles and improving your photography in general. The thing on the left are macro extension tubes. Basically just hollow tubes to increase the focal length of a lens and is a cheaper way to give macro photography a shot without buying a dedicated lens.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
1. Second bidet washlet for the guest bathroom.  No TP in the stores?  No problem! :D

2. I added the following critters to my plushie collection: Bull moose, elk, deer. I was in a cervine mood.  Disappointed that I can't find female versions of these though, particularly a cow moose since a character from a story I wrote was a female moose.