The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Rinkus and Sierra Showcase - May 2020

rhombus · 34 · 5704

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey, guys?  Are you done with that rock yet?  :thudstonk

Sigh... well, I will get things started for when you get done.  And for the love of the Great Egg, don't let those two rainbowfaces catch you!  :rainbowwave

-------------

In this topic please feel free to discuss Rinkus and Sierra as characters, to share your own creations (fanfics or fanart), or to mention some of your favorite fanworks of others involving these characters.  For a full set of rules please see the 2020 Monthly Character Showcase topic but keep in mind that this is meant to be fun as opposed to any sort of contest.

I will go ahead and get the discussion started with the following questions:

1)  It has be postulated by many authors, including myself, that Sierra might be some kind of psychopath or sociopath (a person without emotional empathy for others) based upon his words and actions during the seventh film.  Including his willingness to kidnap Ducky and then to discard her to what he assumes is her doom.  What do you think?

2)  What is your personal head-canon about how these two met up?  It does seem that Rinkus knows how to recognize and handle Sierra's more intense impulses to lash out to a much better degree than Pterano.

3)  To my fellow science nerds: one of the hashtags for this gif image is #Birds, how does that make you feel? :p

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
3)  To my fellow science nerds: one of the hashtags for this gif image is #Birds, how does that make you feel? :p
#Birds? :wow Perhaps the best description of how I feel about that is the following emoji: :whatdidyousay

The word "PTEROSAURS" exists FOR A REASON, people...

Sigh...okay, moving on.

1)  It has be postulated by many authors, including myself, that Sierra might be some kind of psychopath or sociopath (a person without emotional empathy for others) based upon his words and actions during the seventh film.  Including his willingness to kidnap Ducky and then to discard her to what he assumes is her doom.  What do you think?

2)  What is your personal head-canon about how these two met up?  It does seem that Rinkus knows how to recognize and handle Sierra's more intense impulses to lash out to a much better degree than Pterano.

Despite a childhood of watching LBT VII to the point where I knew it by heart, I never really thought about Rinkus and Sierra's backstories at all. (That fanfic I wrote about Sierra for a prompt a couple months ago doesn't count, as it was hardly a serious fanfic.) :p  The two flyers do seem to have a close dynamic, though, which is interesting. Although, at the same time, I wouldn't necessarily consider them friends, since there sure weren't any signs of either one being willing to let the other in on the stone's "powers" at all (see Rhombus's GIF).

As for Sierra maybe being a psychopath, I think it's certainly possible based on his actions/words (for example, wanting to feed the Gang to sharpteeth). He's by far the most menacing non-carnivorous villain LBT has to offer, which is something I appreciate when I look back on LBT VII. Non-sharptooth villains were always good, but when they seemed like a real threat, they were even better.

As the real brains of the whole "stone of cold fire" operation, Rinkus was a competent villain, too, bringing a sense of sneakiness that counteracted Sierra's hotheaded tendencies. However, he does bring me to another complaint I must make in the interest of science...

While Cearadactylus and Pteranodon were both on the larger side for pterosaurs, Rhamphorhynchus wasn't even half their size. Except, apparently, in LBT. :neutral I know these movies are far from scientifically accurate as it is, but even as a kid I knew a Rhamphorhynchus shouldn't have been as big as the other pterosaurs. Why did he need to be so big, anyway? It's not like he was the one who ended up carrying Ducky. :rolleyes But I'll stop my rant here, moving along...

Aside from these two being among LBT's best villains, they also worked for being played for laughs now and then. Sierra griping about Ducky was amusing: "Nope, nope, nope, yep, yep, yep...it's driving me NUTS, NUTS, NUTS!" :lol (That "nuts, nuts, nuts" part is one of those LBT lines that caught on among my family years ago, and it even still comes up in conversation sometimes.) The way Rinkus cuts Sierra off when he tries to complain in the middle of "Very Important Creature" ("What did you say?" "He said LEAD THE WAY!") made me chuckle, too.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Rinkus and Sierra Stain Glass:

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile

I really regret posting that one thread of speculating mental disorders in the LBT characters, because such theorizing can result in people armchair diagnosing traits that can apply to anything. Just look at all the people that theorize Twilight Sparkle from My Little Pony having Autism despite the fact that she just didn't socialize due to lack of interest rather than struggling to do so. Personally, I get uncomfortable when people try to apply a diagnosis to characters that more often than not, aren't written with a diagnosis in mind. Look at Sheldon from Big Bang Theory. People say he's "autism-coded" but that's just how he was written, no one came in with an Autism diagnosis in mind for him upon conceptualizing his character.

Anyway, to answer this question, Sierra is the brawn of the duo and he most likely had to apply some aggressive tendencies in order to survive. He definitely has no problem hurting others to get what he wants. Neither does Rinkus, who he slaps Petrie out of the sky while laughing at his downfall. Both of them have tendencies that can lead to sociopathic behavior, but I'm not going to say they actually are sociopaths.

I like to think that Rinkus and Sierra if they did not know each other as hatchlings, they for sure got into different schemes as young adults, Rinkus being the brains and Sierra being the muscle. However, Rinkus is too yellow-bellied to be any sort of charismatic leader and Sierra's personality is too off-putting and brutish for anyone to gravitate towards. So they found a useful, charismatic idiot in Pterano. Soon everything just seemed to fall into place for them until the very end.

It's a little frustrating I'll admit, especially since there are people around still calling Pterosaurs Pterodactyls or dinosaurs. But a simple google search should correct those mistakes.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

I really regret posting that one thread of speculating mental disorders in the LBT characters, because such theorizing can result in people armchair diagnosing traits that can apply to anything. Just look at all the people that theorize Twilight Sparkle from My Little Pony having Autism despite the fact that she just didn't socialize due to lack of interest rather than struggling to do so. Personally, I get uncomfortable when people try to apply a diagnosis to characters that more often than not, aren't written with a diagnosis in mind. Look at Sheldon from Big Bang Theory. People say he's "autism-coded" but that's just how he was written, no one came in with an Autism diagnosis in mind for him upon conceptualizing his character.

I'll also add that, while it's always possible to speculate that some fictional character has a mental disorder based on their personality traits, I was never really into analyzing things that way. I mean, characters are what they are, whether you call it a mental disorder or not. Unless the writers of a show flat-out say that a character was intended to have a specific mental disorder, you won't find that in my headcanon.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Okay, I just have to share this art I found a while back (NOT MINE, I just came across it in Google Images):

I just can't look at this without grinning. :lol :lol :lol

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Okay, I just have to share this art I found a while back (NOT MINE, I just came across it in Google Images):

This is hilarious! Great find Rainbow!

Goldenwind

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It needed to be shared. :PAli The Looney Tunes look of Rinkus and Sierra especially cracked me up. I mean, Sierra is going full Yosemite Sam! :lol :lol :lol

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Rinkus’ face as mediator lol

Nanotyrannus

• Junior synonym
  • Chomper
  • i'll put something here eventually
    • View Profile
Finally, a villain duo that I can say nice things about - Rinkus and Sierra, at least in my opinion, are some of the best proper villains the series has put out.

I don't even think they're all that scary or threatening (though I do think they're more scary and threatening than a good deal of other LBT antagonists) so much as I think they're just thoroughly entertaining - especially Sierra, with how vicious and hot-tempered he is. I do admit that I think Rinkus doesn't hold up as well as Sierra does; though he is still good, his more subdued and cowardly nature doesn't quite strike me as as interesting as his fellow pterosaurs.

As for the questions:

1.) I don't think there's any underlying cause for Sierra being the way he is; he's just a big jerk.

2.) This isn't actually something I've thought about that much until now - as much as I'd like to write a backstory for the two, I don't have enough time to at the moment, maybe I'll come back to this soon.

3.)  :facepalm

This is beautiful; someone's itching to knock someone off their perch.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Finally, a villain duo that I can say nice things about - Rinkus and Sierra, at least in my opinion, are some of the best proper villains the series has put out.
@Nanotyrannus I think we're pretty much on the same page about these two. :)petrie

I don't even think they're all that scary or threatening (though I do think they're more scary and threatening than a good deal of other LBT antagonists) so much as I think they're just thoroughly entertaining - especially Sierra, with how vicious and hot-tempered he is. I do admit that I think Rinkus doesn't hold up as well as Sierra does; though he is still good, his more subdued and cowardly nature doesn't quite strike me as as interesting as his fellow pterosaurs.

Although I described Sierra as menacing/threatening, I meant that in the context of the LBT world, not really from the audience's viewpoint--it's not like Sierra or Rinkus ever scared me in the least. As far as animated villains go, they're far from being the scariest, there's plenty of Disney villains that put them to shame. However, as you said, Rinkus and Sierra were very entertaining villains, more memorable than other LBT antagonists partially because they were more aggressive.

I agree that Rinkus is the least memorable of the flyer trio. Most of the movie had him being the typical generic, bumbling cartoon henchman. But he was able to keep Sierra under control, something that was definitely necessary, and as a foil to Sierra he worked pretty well. Even though he's not much of a standout on his own, I'm glad he was around just to bounce off the other two flyers.

As for the questions:

1.) I don't think there's any underlying cause for Sierra being the way he is; he's just a big jerk.

2.) This isn't actually something I've thought about that much until now - as much as I'd like to write a backstory for the two, I don't have enough time to at the moment, maybe I'll come back to this soon.

3.)  :facepalm

Yeah, although it could be possible that Sierra's a psychopath, I never thought that much into it myself, either. I just figured he was a hotheaded idiot, and that's still where he stands in my head. Also, good to know I wasn't the only one who never thought about these guys' past. :p Tbh, I had initially thought they hadn't known each other until they met Pterano, but now that I think about it more, Rinkus handles Sierra's attitude too well for that to be the case.

This is beautiful; someone's itching to knock someone off their perch.
Time to make a few changes in the peck'n' order!! :bestsharptooth

Littlefootfan1889

• Ruby
    • View Profile

that drawing is funny how one if trying to hold the other one back from attacking him lol

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
It looks like Pterano is 2 FAB 4 Sierra. :bestsharptooth

I can see Pterano saying, “I am a genius! Hahahaha!” XD

jassy

• certified member of the spike fanclub :)
  • Member+
  • Spike
  • your local procrastinating fanartist!
    • View Profile
I posted this in my fanart thread already, but I guess it belongs here as well. Here’s a piece I did for this month’s showcase of Sierra giving Rinkus a bit of a pep talk, although probably not a nice one  :PCera

"Don't you ever wonder what's out there?"  :rainbowThinking

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Imcredible Jazzy! I wish I could take my sketches and make the colors this vibrant.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This is gorgeous, Jassy! The vibrant colors really make this drawing quite striking and attention grabbing.  :)  I also like how the two contrasting personalities show through in this depiction.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Just for laughs, I suppose I might as well show off the one Rinkus and Sierra drawing I've ever done. It's glorious, truly glorious... :PCera

(ignore the writing, it's sneaking in from different pictures on the same page)