The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Wonderful Circle of Life

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Yeah, just a bit. Well, lucky you for coming over here. You get to read three chapters ahead of those on dA! :D

Well, she has a right ol' grump of a father and nice mother who has a bit of a stubborn streak. That's why Tosa didn't bore herself to death when she was still the only child in her herd.

Thanks! Yep, he changes his mind... eventually.

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Dang, it's been a while. This is what happens when I go on holiday. Throughout the whole thing I get loads of plot ideas and want to write them all down but can't because I don't have a proper computer to type on, and then when I get back, I have no motivation to type anything. Grr.... :anger

Whelp, I finally got Chapter 6 done. So, here you go now, and I'll share a bit more at the bottom.

~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 6: Going on an Adventure

Tosa and Thunderfoot were ushered to Camara’s resting place by said longneck as soon as Tosa arrived, and they were introduced to her brother, Bracken. As Camara had said, he was extremely shy and hid behind his mother for a long time before he finally got used to the new visitors and gradually came out to sit in front of his mother as he watched the others play for a bit. Camara asked Tosa and Thunderfoot if they could come to her resting place for a few days to see if Bracken would finally trust them enough to play, and eventually, he did. However, he refused to go anywhere that was out of sight of his mother, but nobody minded. They were all just happy playing with each other all day.

At first a few of the other longneck children came over to play, but after a load of threats from Rye about what his father would do, they all went back to him in the end, and things seemed to have gone back to normal in the herd, besides the fact that Thunderfoot was happy and actually had some friends now. During the day the children just played, and in the evenings, Tosa and Thunderfoot would go back to Eldridge, hear a story from him, and have something to eat. Thunderfoot’s appetite soon grew, and to everyone’s surprise, he was soon eating more than Tosa could manage. Eldridge was so glad to see his grandson become happy and healthy again, although it did worry him when Thunderfoot started arriving late when he got too carried away with playing around with everyone.

All throughout the time of growth, which was when the herds arrived at the new valley, all was well. Eventually, some adults found their way to Sorrel’s herd and requested to join him as some of his members went off to the other herd. It was fairly common for longnecks to switch herds when two or more were staying at the same place for an extended period of time. When it was nearing the end of the time of growth, and going into the dry season, other dinosaurs started to move into the new paradise, and soon the longnecks found that if things carried on, there wouldn’t be enough water to last through the dry time. The valley’s many watering holes did not have water that came from an outside source; instead, the water supply depended on what fell from the sky. As it turned out, the dinosaurs were just migrators, and soon the longnecks, fast biters, and a few other residents, were left alone again.  

For quite a few days now, it had been raining non-stop, leaving the children to go and find shelter rather than play. All of them had decided to stay at their resting places for now, safe under the shelter of their respective guardians. Although they had all been told about the importance of sky water, the children were starting to get bored since it stopped them from playing; the grown-ups didn’t want them going out until the sky water was over for some reason.

Finally, after five days of continuous rain, the water stopped falling from the sky. The watering holes were overflowing; the treestars were deliciously moist, and some parts of the valley were even flooded.

After having breakfast with her parents on the morning after the sky water stopped, Tosa had almost forgotten to tell them where she was going because she was so excited. It wasn’t like they didn’t know though; every day was the same. She would always go to Thunderfoot’s resting place. He was elated to see her after what had felt like such a long time, and the two immediately rushed off to Camara’s place, only to find that neither she nor her family were there.

“Oh no…” Tosa whispered when she saw what was in its place. Eldridge had warned the kids about flooding in lower parts of the valley, which luckily neither of them were near to at the time of the extensive sky water, but where Camara’s resting place had been was a new watering hole, and a large one at that.

“I think we have to go and explore around for a while to find them, then,” Thunderfoot suggested. He turned back and headed towards where the main herd was. They looked around for a while, before they eventually asked one of the herd members if they had seen Camara’s family. As it turned out, they had sheltered in a cavern with a few others near the outskirts, and although advised not to go there without a grown-up due to fast biters, Tosa and Thunderfoot went there alone anyway.

Camara and Bracken were both sat near the entrance of the cavern they had been directed to, and were extremely happy to see the other two again after what had felt like an eternity.

“Hey guys!” Camara yelled happily, sprinting towards the two. “It's been a while, hasn't it?”

“It has,” Thunderfoot agreed. “Silly sky water.”

Bracken decided to go and join the group, though he was a little slower than his sister. “Hello, everyone,” he greeted. “How are you two today?”

Tosa smiled at the young dinosaur. He had such good manners towards them. Camara was nice enough, too, but she was a lot more carefree than her twin, and had a tendency to become a little sarcastic at times, which the two soon found out after spending a couple of days with her and her family.

“I'm good thanks, Bracken,” Thunderfoot answered. “How about yourself?”

“Not too bad,” the other young male replied. “I'm glad the sky water finally stopped.”

“Me too,” Camara said. “Hey, I got it! Shall we go and look around? I'm sure the valley's going to look a lot different after all that sky water!”

“But... isn't that a bit dangerous?” Bracken asked shyly. “I heard that there was water being brought in from the Mysterious Beyond.”

“Even more reason to check it out,” said Camara, smiling sweetly at her not-so-calm brother. “Besides, I've been wanting you to leave the nest for a bit. You're getting older now, and need some time away from adults! Even these two think so.”

“You... you do?” Bracken turned to the two grey longnecks in front of him.

Tosa glared at Camara. “Now hold on just a-”

“Of course they do!” Camara interrupted. “They're just too nice to say it, aren't you?”

“Er...”

“See what I mean? Now, come on before Mother thinks we're up to no good.” Camara pushed Bracken along.

“But... we are up to no good,” he said.

“Actually, I think it'll be fun,” said Thunderfoot. “Who knows? We might find something new and exciting!”

“Or something dangerous.”

“Oh, stop it, Bracken. We're in a safe heaven. Our parents said we can go and wander wherever as long as we don't go near the outskirts.”

“She has a point, Bracken.”

Bracken just sighed in defeat and stayed close to the other longnecks. His sister was right in saying that he needed to get out on his own more, but he was too much of a coward for that, and he knew it. Perhaps it would do him some good to get out more. Besides, he was with a bunch of longnecks who were there for him, so it wasn't like he was completely alone. Going on adventures might be something he'd get a taste for. He'd never know unless he tried it, and if he didn't like it, nobody would force him into doing it again.

He followed them through thick foliage, where heavy drops of water were still falling from the leaves that had caught them. The leaves were so thick that they blocked out most light trying to get through, so they were caught in a dark space for a while. Soon enough they emerged into the blinding light of the bright circle again and carried on, where Thunderfoot spotted a large watering hole that he knew wasn't there before. The water rushed down the valley wall from the Mysterious Beyond, nobody knowing what it brought with it.

Tosa rushed to the water's edge, feeling the tingle of excitement inside her as she ran. Thunderfoot and the others joined her, looking out at the mysterious new water. It wasn't long before they spotted new creatures; some water-footed swimmers were gracefully jumping out of the water and landed back in it with barely a splash. Their scales shone in the light of the bright circle, and each one reflected the light with a natural brilliance.

“They're beautiful,” Tosa whispered, resting her head on top of Thunderfoot's. Much to her amusement, he let out an annoyed groan at her, so she kept her head where it was, just to annoy him further. Camara and Bracken couldn't help but giggle at the two.

For the time they were standing there, watching the swimmers, Thunderfoot said nothing about what Tosa was doing. First of all she was resting her head on top of his, then she entwined her tail with his, and finally she rubbed the side of her face against his. He decided to ignore her for now and let her tease him, but at that moment he didn't feel all too uncomfortable with it.

Eventually Tosa withdrew when she realised she was no longer getting any attention off him from doing it.

“Fine,” she said sarcastically. “You win.”

Thunderfoot flashed her a grin in reply. “Shame,” he said. “I was starting to not mind that.”

Tosa was surprised to hear that after all of the moaning he was doing the last time, and she wasn't completely satisfied with the fact that she couldn't annoy him that way any more.

“Ah, young love,” Camara commented, earning herself a glare from both Thunderfoot and Tosa. “Tosa, I might have to steal some of your moves one day.”

“Well don't practice them on me,” Bracken said irritably. Camara just smiled innocently at him.

“I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing,” she said, playfully lifting his head with her tail before walking away. He poked his tongue out at her in return as she giggled.

Tosa just snorted and started to walk away from the water's edge. Thunderfoot stayed there for a few moments, but backed away when he saw a dark spot in the water, which was heading his way. He moved out of the way just in time. A huge pair of jaws snapped at the spot he had just stood at.

The children screamed. “RUN!” Tosa cried, but it didn't need saying. The four longnecks sprinted away from the sharptooth, into the bushes.

“Oh great. It's a belly dragger,” said Camara, when she finally stopped and turned around to get a better look at the predator. Unlike swimming sharpteeth, which were restricted to the water alone, belly draggers could climb out and give chase on foot.

The belly dragger got out of the water and sniffed around for a while before it stared at the bush it knew the children were hiding behind.

“Gee, it's huge,” Tosa whispered, shuddering.

“Actually, that might give us an advantage,” said Thunderfoot, as he felt Tosa's shaky body next to his. He looked behind him, where he saw a thick mass of tall trees. “Through there!” he ordered, taking off. “He won't be able to fit through those gaps in the trees!”

Tosa and Camara immediately followed him, but Bracken was frozen to the spot. Camara didn't notice that he wasn't there until she knew she was safe.

“BRACKEN!” she screamed when she saw him. The belly dragger quickly approached as the others kept shouting at Bracken to get him to run.

“It's no use...” Camara could feel the tears falling down her face. She knew she shouldn't have brought him with her. He was a home boy, not an adventurous one.

Both of the girls looked away when they saw the belly dragger coming through the bush, approaching its meal. The horrendous snapping of its jaws was heard. It was over...

Camara turned completely away, unable to bare it. “Oh the poor thing,” she sobbed. “He was so young... he had his whole life to look forward to. I never even got to tell him how much I loved him...” Suddenly, something crashed into her, and almost caused her to fall over. She turned her head to see who exactly it was, and her eyes widened to near impossible sizes.

“Hi.”

She screamed, running away and crashing into a tree. Camara soon bounced off it, looking up at the face she just thought had been eaten.

“Nice little speech there,” said Bracken, giving her a faint smile. “Thunderfoot pushed me out of the way just in time.”

“So he died for you?!” Camara questioned, confused. She got her answer when Thunderfoot walked up alongside her brother with Tosa, chuckling.

“Not quite,” he answered.

Camara immediately perked up. “Well, thanks for saving my idiot brother then,” she said.

“Hey! What happened to 'poor thing'?!” Bracken asked.

“That was when you supposedly died,” said Camara, poking her tongue out at him.

“Oh, thanks,” the young male said sarcastically, rolling his eyes. Behind them they could hear the terrifying roar of the belly dragger, but Thunderfoot had been right; it was too big to get through the gap in the trees. Nonetheless, the others would definitely have felt more comfortable being as far away from it as possible, so they kept moving, with Thunderfoot leading the group.

“Thunderfoot? Do you know where we're going?”

“Well...”

“Oh great. We're lost!”

“No we're not... look! I see an exit there.”

Thunderfoot poked his head out of the gap, having finally found a way out of the thick forest that he and the others had wandered into after the belly dragger encounter. He didn't recognise the area at all. He had gotten used to parts of his home he frequently went to, as well as the areas around them, but he hadn't wandered this far before. How he was going to get himself and the other back to their resting places, he didn't know yet.

“What is this place?” Tosa asked as she looked around. In front of them was a rocky wall with winding paths going up it, with hardly any green food growing there.

Thunderfoot looked at the base of the rocky hill, his gaze drifting upwards as he examined it. “This must be part of the wall that protects us from the larger sharpteeth,” he concluded. “This is the outskirts of the valley.”

“B-but, don't fast biters live here?” Bracken stammered.

“They sure do,” his sister answered. “We should get out of here, before they find us.”

“Too late,” came Tosa's voice. The other three longnecks quickly turned to face the same direction as her, all tensing up in fear as they faced a pack of several fast biters.

----------

Dun dun DUUUUUUN!

Okay, fine. I was actually planning on making Chapter 7 the end of the childhood, but after I got a great idea for a really intense event to happen instead, I decided that it will probably be Chapter 8 or even 9 when the crap happens. :o

*Le gasp!* Sharptooth attack, RUN! Oh noes, more sharpteeth attacking!

Oh yeah, say hi to Bracken, guys. *picks random floral name off list* He's the fourth member. I thought it might be nice to not make EVERYONE a lone child here. :lol

So, I managed to finish Chapter 7... over 2500 words... in less than 24 hours.  :blink: It will be an intense one... hopefully. I just don't know whether I should upload it on Sunday before I go to my grandparent's house, or on the Thursday when I come back. It's up to you guys, really. :)

For some reason, staying at my dad's really gets me writing loads. I'm not as lazy here as I am at my mum's. :lol

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Lovely chapter (gonna murder you if anyone dies), now can you upload stuff on DA too!?!?!?

*cough* anyway, since you have your laptop again, what about the request I made a while ago in PM?

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Yes, I will. Tomorrow. I keep neglecting poor DA. :(

Don't worry. People get injured, but nobody will die... yet. :lol

Sure, I'll PM you back about it. :)

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: somerandomfangirl,Aug 2 2013 on  01:02 PM
Don't worry. People get injured, but nobody will die... yet. :lol
My name is Sleepy, you killed my Dinosaurs, prepare to die! :anger

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I wouldn't mind to focus more on their childhood because they're truly awesome as kids :lol
Your dialogues seem so naturally flowing and you certainly know how to keep 'em guessin' :DD

Whatever you have in mind, consider that little kids might read this  :blink: kidding :p
Inactive, probably forever.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Okie dokey. I'll take it as a good decision to extend it by about 5000 words then. :p

In that case, I'll put a warning. It does get a little graphic. :o And I originally thought giving Thunderfoot no parents was depressing enough.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Well, I couldn't upload Chapter 7 on Sunday since I went to my grandparents' house then (I was expecting to go on Monday), and didn't have time, so here, have it now. Better late than never, right?

----------

Chapter 7: The Taste of Danger

The fast biters snarled at them, slowly approaching the group of small dinosaurs. Under normal circumstances, the fast biters would never dare to go further into the valley, since they were no match for the longneck herds that lived there, but now it seemed that a feast had come to them, and they were not about to lose it.

“Right,” Thunderfoot whispered, just loud enough for the others to hear. “When I say run, run as fast as you can into that forest again. We'll have to try and lose them.” Everyone else just nodded in understanding, not taking their eyes of the small yet deadly sharpteeth. “RUN!”

The longnecks darted into the thick forest, the fast biters in hot pursuit. They were not going to let their easy meal get away. Despite them losing sight of their prey every now and then, the keen sniffers of the fast biters didn't lead them astray, and they chased the children out into the open. The children kept screaming as loud as they could, hoping that someone would hear them. Fortunately, Tosa recognised the open space they were in.

“We're near my herd!” she yelled urgently to the others. “This way!”

There didn't seem to be any need to get to the herd, though, as two much larger figures came into view.

“Get to those two!” Thunderfoot ordered. Although Camara and Bracken weren't too familiar with the approaching longnecks, Tosa and Thunderfoot knew immediately who they were, and ran as fast as they could to get to them.

The fast biters seemed hesitant when they saw the adult longnecks, but they weren't wasting their energy for nothing, and shrugged off their doubts. They also sped up, trying to reach just one of the young ones before the adults got there.

One was so close to grabbing the smaller male, and jumped to pounce on him, only to be slapped back by a large grey tail.

“Kids, get out of here!” Sorrel shouted, not taking his eyes off the small predators. After hearing the screaming and snarling, more fast biters joined the group. All of them glared at Sorrel, but he didn't seem unnerved about the amount of them that were there. Patrice walked up next to him,  glaring at the predators that had just threatened her daughter's life.

She was the first to attack after that, her tail going as fast as lightning as she aimed at a clutch of them together, and it worked. Two of the three of them were flung high into the air, with the other just barely managing to dodge. The other fast biters were furious, and many of them tried to pounce on Patrice in one go. She managed to evade them, counter-attacking by lifting herself onto her hind legs. Her mate used the distraction well, using his own tail as a merciless weapon as he sent more fast biters flying, and he even managed to kill a few. Another was crushed under Patrice's feet when her forelegs crashed into the ground again.

This still didn't discourage the remaining fast biters, who were now becoming even more daring. The longnecks were turned with their sides facing them so that they were able to use their tails to attack, but this also left them as a much bigger target. Some tried to jump on the two adults, but most of the time they were easily shaken off again.

What the longnecks didn't notice was that one of the younger ones had managed to sneak around them, and was now heading for the children. They all scattered, hoping that his choice would take long enough for them to lose him. However, the fast biter soon decided which one he wanted; the plumpest one. He looked at the two larger grey longnecks, and decided that the female was a little bigger than the male was, so he gave chase. Thunderfoot noticed and shouted to Tosa as a warning, while he tried to get closer to her. Tosa looked behind her. The fast biter behind her was indeed a fast one, and the fact that she was tired from the first escape didn't help.

It was a split second decision. The fast biter was indeed quite young, and on two legs Tosa would be a fair bit taller than him. She turned around and stood on her hind legs, in the hope that she would be able to pin him down. However, the small sharptooth was more daring than she thought, and grabbed her right foreleg, sinking his teeth into it.

Their daughter's piercing scream distracted Sorrel and Patrice, and in the second that they looked away, the fast biters managed to take advantage. Most of them went for Sorrel, as he seemed to be proving the stronger fighter over his mate. Several pounced on his side and back, digging their teeth and claws into his skin. One of them took hold of his hind leg, and another grabbed his tail.

His roar of pain was loud enough to be heard throughout the entire valley. Patrice screamed his name and tried to reach him, but even more fast biters appeared and drove her back. She managed to glance over to her daughter for a split second, and was horrified to see that the fast biter had brought her down. The only good thing was that she hadn't been killed yet. Her ongoing cries confirmed that.

Tosa hadn't been in so much pain in her life before. She had tried to stay up, but eventually the fast biter was stronger than her and brought her down to the ground. Her father had told her that when facing sharpteeth, she must never let them think she was afraid, but right now she couldn't hide it. She was terrified. The immense pain that shot up her leg as the predator bit down harder only caused her cry louder. She finally decided to look at her attacker in the eye, and was horrified when the fast biter gave her a twisted grin with his teeth still etched in her flesh. His mouth was covered in her blood, and soon the longneck had to break the gaze.

The one mistake that fast biter made was letting go.

As soon as he decided that his victim was ready to die, he let go of Tosa's leg and looked at her neck. However, before he could even lurch forward, another body crashed into him. Thunderfoot had pounced on top of him, pinning the carnivore to the ground. Camara and Bracken, having found an ounce of bravery, joined him, putting as much force on the fast biter as possible. He snarled at them in reply and tried to struggle, but it was proving useless. He was stuck there.

Sorrel tried to shake off the fast biters that had latched themselves onto him, but some of them were really stubborn and refused to let go. One of the fast biters on top of him had managed to rip out a large chunk of flesh from the longneck's back, and it was going for more. It was another quick decision. Sorrel knew full well that this was a risky move, but if he didn't want to get eaten alive, this was one of his only options.

He quickly shared a look with his wife, who knew just from the look on his face what he was planning to do. She yelled at him to stop, but she wouldn't be able to do anything. Sorrel let himself crash on the side the majority of fast biters were on, killing them instantly. The few that were on his back and other side were thrown off, and the ones that either hadn't attacked or where driving Patrice back were unstable on their feet from the violent shaking of the ground from the heavy impact.

Patrice herself was more stable on all fours and had to take advantage of the chance her mate had given her. She wiped out the distracted sharpteeth in front of her with one swipe of her tail. She looked over to Sorrel, but he was motionless and was stuck on the ground for now. She was on her own.

The remaining fast biters began to back off. They were too weak and no longer a match for the longneck. They were no longer willing to get whipped by her tail with a force strong enough to break their bones.

What they didn't know was that another danger was lurking behind the trees. The fast biter in the way didn't have time to react before a huge pair of jaws closed around it. Patrice cringed when she heard the sound of bones crushing. The belly dragger had reached the scene, still hungry and more than ready for a meal. A fast biter would do just fine for a small snack. What it feasted its eyes on next would be a much more rewarding meal. It headed towards the downed longneck as the fast biters fled, not wanting to lose anyone else. They had decided that getting a meal wasn't worth becoming one themselves.

Patrice was horrified. She had to protect her mate. She rushed forward, standing her ground in front of the collapsed longneck. What she didn't realise was that the belly dragger was desperate for a feast, and would try and get whatever came to it. The female longneck barely had time to react when it rushed forward and sank its teeth into her foreleg. She screamed, but still tried to free herself from its jaws.

“MOTHER!” Tosa screamed, watching in terror at her downed father and now stricken mother. The other children were still keeping the fast biter from going anywhere, though it was trying to struggle. Thunderfoot was the only other one who watched the fight, hoping for Tosa's sake that it would all end well. From the distance they were at, they couldn't see if Sorrel was still breathing or not, and that scared them both to no end.

She managed to press her other foreleg behind its skull, and it worked, causing it to let go. Patrice had a hard time standing on her stricken leg, and limped as far from it as possible, until she was right in front of her mate. She could feel the warmth of the blood dripping down from the wound, but she took no notice of it for now, only glaring at the giant belly dragger with an intense hate burning in her eyes.

Help came just when she needed it. Patrice lifted onto her hind legs again, just as the belly dragger went for her neck. If it went under her, she might just be able to crush and kill it. However, she knew that it wasn't the best of ideas; landing on her injured leg might cause it even more harm. If an adult longneck got a broken leg, it probably would not be getting back up again.

Fortunately for her, the belly dragger wasn't fooled into going under her, rather waiting until she was back on all fours.

The decision it made had probably just saved Patrice's life.

Instead of being crushed by just the one female, several other pairs of feet landed on it, killing it instantly. The rest of the herd had heard them and had come to her aid. Patrice gently landed on her front feet again, barely making the earth shake at all. She immediately limped over to check on Sorrel. Thankfully, he was breathing normally, but was knocked out, either by the fall or the loss of blood he suffered. The female looked over his body, seeing many still bleeding injuries that would leave some heavy scarring.

Forgetting about her own injury, Patrice immediately started tending to Sorrel. It was better to do what she could while he was still unconscious; no doubt he would be complaining a lot about her cleaning the tender wounds, but she didn't have much choice. If they became infected, they could kill him.

“Where's Tosa?” she asked one of the herd members who had come to check on her.

“Another member is tending to her,” the female answered. “She has a fairly nasty bite on her leg too, but she should be fine. The fast biter broke the skin and caused some heavy bleeding, but it's not deep enough to scar over. Thankfully the other children managed to pin that one down.”

“Thank goodness,” Patrice whispered.

“This could have ended up being a lot worse, Patrice,” the female said to her. “How's Sorrel doing?”

“He's a strong guy. I'm sure he'll be fine,” Patrice answered. “Could you go and get some treestars? I need to stop the bleeding...”

The female nodded and hurried off, getting the treestars as quickly as possible.

Meanwhile, a male was tending to Tosa's wound. The fast biter had been taken care of, so the other children could finally settle down and see how Tosa was doing. She kept flinching and complaining whenever the injury was touched, but she knew the job had to be done. Thunderfoot huddled close to her as she kept crying.

“I could... I could have... lost them,” she said in between sobs. She had heard that her father was alive and would recover, and if it wasn't for his bravery, more lives probably would have been lost that day.

“But you didn't,” Thunderfoot assured her. He was relieved that Tosa's parents had both made it. In the time that he had lived in the valley and been friends with Tosa, he had connected with Patrice and Sorrel. They were almost like his adopted parents now.

The bodies of the dead fast biters and the belly dragger were moved away from the scene. They were taken to the outskirts; the remaining fast biters would get their meal, even if it wasn't what they truly wanted. Hopefully it would keep them at bay for a while.

Sorrel eventually woke up, and wasn't too happy when he found out that he had missed a fair amount of the battle. He was also disgruntled with the amount of injury he had sustained, but in the end he was just grateful that he and his family had survived. Tosa rushed over to him as soon as the other male had finished with her leg, and she and Patrice both huddled very close to him when he woke up again, as both were still fearing for his life. He decided that he couldn't get up for now; his side was aching far too much from the fall, and his leg was still very painful from the fast biter bite.

“Thunderfoot, I must thank you for taking on that fast biter. You saved my daughter's life,” he said when he noticed the other children. He turned to the other two. “And I owe you both my thanks as well.”

“No problem, sir,” Camara answered. Sorrel smiled at her and summoned a herd member he knew had joined him from Thunderfoot's herd.

“Take these two and Thunderfoot home, okay?” he asked.

“Can't I stay?” Thunderfoot pleaded.

Sorrel sighed. “I suppose you can,” he said. He turned to the other longneck. “Scratch that plan. Take these two home and tell Eldridge what has happened, okay?”

The longneck nodded, and after they had said their goodbyes, Camara and Bracken left with him.

Eldridge rushed to the other herd when he had heard what had happened.

“It's just a good thing you're all okay,” he said when the others had finished telling him the story.

“Speak for yourself,” Sorrel said grumpily, flinching and groaning when Patrice started cleaning the wounds on his side when he finally decided to roll over.

“I'll rephrase that.” Eldridge couldn't help but chuckle at the fuss Sorrel was making. “It's just a good thing you're all alive.”

“You'll have to excuse him,” said Patrice. “He can be a sissy girl sometimes.”

Sorrel put on his unamused face when everyone laughed at him. “Hey, how about some of you try and get some of your back bitten off? It's constant pain here!”

“Well, I thought you were very brave,” said Tosa, snuggling up next to her father while Thunderfoot had gone over to his grandfather.

“Well, it wouldn't do me any good if I lost you now, would it?” Sorrel nuzzled her gently, taking care not to touch her own injury.

Eldridge and Thunderfoot stayed with them that night as extra company. Sorrel was afraid that the females would break down after the terrifying day, but with their friends with them, supporting them, they had managed to even make light of the situation.

----------

Yes, I'm an amateur at fight scenes, so excuse the bad-ness of this one. I think this is actually the first battle scene I've ever written out. Eh, I'll have to get used to it with this fanfic, since there'll be more violence to come!

Anyway, thought I'd give Sorrel and Patrice a bit more of the spotlight, because I have grown to love these two, especially Sorrel.

Wait, if I love them so much now, why did I get them so injured again?! :crazy

Well, at least everybody is safe now. :)

*Is stuck in a BIG dilemma but can't say anything due to spoilers* :anger

I've just gotta make some changes to Chapter 8 and I'll upload that when I can, and then I really need to finish Chapter 9, but that one's really depressing me right now, and I'm kinda depressed enough already. :(

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
*wails her ass off*

Personally I don't think the scene was bad, you know :p

also: *poke*

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
There there, Sleepy. *pat pat*

I suppose it could be worse, for a first. But that's me; I always seem to make my stuff sound worse than it probably really is.

Poke received. :yes

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey! I don't get why you're that nit-picky, the chapter's great!

Hmm.. I'd like to say something better than 'that's nice' but nothing else comes to my mind...
Let's just say you succeeded writing that fight-scene imo. It's also the first time I read leafeater kids fighting kid-carnivores in a fic :D

No diseases, whew!

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Heh, well... you know me, always nit-picking. :p

Hooray for succession! Well, they couldn't just leave Tosa there in pain and about to get killed, could they now?  :smile

Nope, thank goodness for that.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
I'm trying to do weekly updates here, and it's been over 10 days since my last update. This bloomin' chapter's been done for that length of time. Heck, I've even started on Chapter 10 in that time! :bang

----------

Chapter 8: The Dry Time

It took quite a few weeks for everyone to recover from the carnivore attack. Sorrel especially had a hard time. The pain that constantly shot up from the back injury for many days had caused loss of sleep, constant bad moods, and made him a longneck nobody really wanted to be around for a while. Despite this, Patrice, Tosa, Eldridge and Thunderfoot all stayed by his side in the recovery process. Both of the females stopped limping from their injuries after a while, though it took longer for Patrice to recover than it did for Tosa.

Ever since the battle, no fast biters were spotted anywhere closer than the outskirts. Neither sides wanted a repeat of that day, especially not the fast biters, considering the sheer loss they suffered.

Camara and Bracken, as well as their family, visited Tosa and Thunderfoot often, although it was a while before Tosa was ready to start playing games again. Although the two other longnecks didn't seem to notice, Thunderfoot knew full well that the battle had emotionally disturbed Tosa. On many occasions she would wake up screaming from a sleep scare she had, mostly about what could have happened.

However, she only told Thunderfoot this. He knew what it felt like to have actually lost his parents, and he supported her every step of the way. How he had gone from being the depressed one to being the counsellor, he'd never know, but his words helped Tosa to finally recover.

It was going into the dry time when it seemed that everyone in Tosa's family had completely recovered. Sorrel's injuries had left heavy scarring, as was expected, and Patrice's wound also left a mark, but Tosa was left without any scars. The fast biter was too young to penetrate too deeply. Eventually her bite marks scabbed over as new skin grew underneath. When the scabbing was gone, her leg looked like it hadn't been bitten in the first place. She was luckier than her parents in that respect.

The events of that day seemed to have changed Tosa dramatically. She had now become a lot more like Bracken. She was shyer, a lot less carefree than she was, she was always reluctant to leave her parents' side, and she blatantly refused to go out of sight of the herd. She also found herself wanting to spend a lot more time alone with Thunderfoot. How he had managed to get through his parent's death when she was traumatised at the mere thought of it... She felt like Thunderfoot must have thought she was pathetic.

In fact, he felt quite the opposite way. Thunderfoot fortunately didn't have to watch his parents die, and blocked out any thought of it as best as he could. Tosa had to watch the sheer pain her parents went through that day, and although it was a good thing that they were alive, he could fully understand why she was feeling the way she was. For many nights after the battle, Tosa couldn't sleep without him by her side, fearing the dreaded sleep stories.

Eventually, after a lot of support from both her friends and family, Tosa started to return to normal, though she was still uncomfortable with going off on adventures. Eldridge had decided to make the move to the herd permanent. Should the herds have to go their separate ways one day, he would rather be in this one, and Sorrel was more than happy to welcome him in.

The dry time had started, which changed the valley for the worse. It hadn't rained for weeks and the dinosaurs were beginning to notice that the water level was decreasing dramatically. Thankfully there were many watering holes throughout the valley to drink from, but if things carried on the way they were, they would all run out eventually. Sorrel had to gather his herd to tell them of the dangers that could strike them. Patrice and a few others gathered everyone to a meeting spot, and took their places. Patrice and Eldridge stood on either side of Sorrel – Eldridge's experience would come in handy, Sorrel knew that – while Tosa and Thunderfoot stood in between his front legs.

“Right, then,” he started when he was sure everyone had arrived. “As you all know, we are all currently stuck in the middle of quite a harsh dry time, and we don't know how long it's going to last. I'll warn you now; the watering holes here are not going to last forever. We need to be really careful with what we drink. From now on, in other to preserve the water, we must only drink what is needed to survive, and absolutely no more.”

“What about the children?”

“If they are thirsty, they may have a drink, as long as you make sure they don't over do it,” Sorrel answered. “And although I know everyone likes to do this, myself included, I'm afraid we can't have any baths for a while. The children will have to be cleaned by the adults, and us adults will just have to go without until we get some sky water.”

There was a murmur in the crowd, before someone decided to speak up again.

“What about the other herd?”

It was Eldridge who spoke up this time. “I'm sure they will have a council meeting about the same thing, and hopefully they will have the same idea. If not, then I'll go and see to them about it.”

“What if someone is sick and needs more water than the rest of us?”

“That is fine,” said Sorrel. “As I said, we must drink what we need to survive, and if someone needs more water to survive because they are ill, then so be it. But I want nobody pretending so that they can have more, understand?”

He spoke in an extremely serious tone, as he did when he was doing these meetings with his herd, so everybody nodded in agreement. They were warned of what could happen if they broke the rules, so nobody dared to go against Sorrel. He answered a few questioned that members of the herd asked him, and then he moved onto the other risks that the water shortage brought with it.

“Well, as you should know with the dry time, it's not just the water that dries out. Soon enough, the leaves will turn dry and brown rather than the sweet moist stuff we're used to. And if none of you have tasted dried out treestars before, be warned. They taste worse than the dirt in the ground.”

Tosa poked her tongue out in disgust when she heard this.

“And seeing as the dry treestars don't have as much good stuff in them,” Sorrel continued, “the children will have first priority to the greenest treestars that are found. They're still growing, after all.”

Most members of the herd nodded in agreement as some muttered to each other about what Sorrel had just said.

“Also, we'll have to be really careful on extremely hot days,” Sorrel warned. “If the valley's too dried out, then it will be easier for fires to start and spread. Everyone needs to make sure that they know the fire escape paths. However, if there's no fire, then the worst thing that'll happen will be that the water will run out entirely, in which case... we'll have to leave.”

The conversation carried on for quite some time, until everyone knew exactly what the plan was. The bright circle was beginning to set when everyone finally dispersed. Tosa and Thunderfoot went back to the resting place with their parents.

“Gee, I'm shattered,” Sorrel complained, immediately lying down for the night as soon as he reached his spot. “Leading a herd can sure tire you out.”

“But Father, you were only standing there and talking all day.” Tosa giggled as Sorrel collapsed on his side.

“How about you try doing it, then?” he said. He suddenly cringed in pain, shocking everyone. Despite that the part of Sorrel's back where the flesh had been torn out had healed as much as it could, it still sent sharp, shocking pains up his back, causing to male to completely stop and even collapse on the spot on some occasions. Eldridge and Patrice came to the conclusion that the fast biter had hit a sensitive spot, and although it would lessen over time, it could still be there for the rest of his life.

“Are you all right, dear?” Patrice asked when her mate finally relaxed again.

“Damn fast biters,” he replied.

Tosa hastily walked up to him and wrapped her forelegs around his face, rubbing her head against his. She always got worried when her father was in pain like this.

“Hey Tosa,” Sorrel said calmly. “I'm fine, really.”

“I think we should probably go to sleep,” Patrice finally suggested.

“That's actually not a bad idea... for once.” Sorrel chuckled as his mate glared at him and lightly whacked him with her tail.

By the time everyone settled down again, Tosa had perked up a little bit. She lay next to her father that night, and had peaceful sleep.

The next morning, the group of five wandered into a forest, looking for greener treestars. Many had already begun to turn brown and crisp due to the water shortage, and Sorrel was right. The kids hated the taste of them, as did the adults, but it was a sacrifice they were willing to make.

“There are some green ones,” Eldridge announced, spotting some still fairly green treestars on a few branches of an otherwise brown tree. He grabbed those few branches and dropped them in front of the children, who immediately tucked in.

“Thanks, Grandpa,” Thunderfoot said with a full mouth. Tosa watched as the adults tucked into the horrible brown treestars. Her father did pull the odd face but tried to hide it.

“Are you sure you don't want some?” she asked them. Patrice smiled sweetly at her daughter.

“Don't worry about us, Tosa,” she answered. “We all agreed that the children would get first priority on the greener treestars. Though soon enough there might not even be any of those left...”

“Yeah, the water level is getting lower every day,” said Sorrel. He tensed up as another pain shot up his back, but fortunately the children didn't notice this time. When he relaxed again, he carried on. “This place is hardly the lush haven we first found it to be.”

“Well, we've lived through a harsh dry time before,” said Patrice, gently rubbing her head against her mate's. He smiled at her, and the two shared a tender moment.

“Oh, cut it out!” Tosa complained when she noticed her parents having a moment. The two pulled away immediately, looking slightly awkward.

“Well, excuse us for being mates,” Sorrel said sarcastically. “Besides, I've seen what you with Thunderfoot sometimes, and personally I don't think it's much different.” He and Tosa had a playful bicker before they decided they had all had enough food for the time being.

Camara and Bracken came along to play for a while, and their day together was probably the most fun since the fast biter attack. Tosa had perked up and had even gone a little hyper, so she was probably the happiest of them all. She made the most of that day, little knowing that it would be her last truly happy day for a long time to come.

When the time came, she said goodbye to her friends, expecting to see them for many days to come, though that was not to be...

“Today was fun, huh?” Tosa asked happily as she walked alongside Thunderfoot.

“It sure was.” He chuckled. “You went crazy.”

“I suppose I did,” Tosa answered. “Must have been those treestars.”

“I doubt it,” said Thunderfoot. “I think you just had to let it all out in one go.”

“Your guess is probably better than mine,” Tosa admitted. “Hey, Thunderfoot?”

“Yes?”

“If our herds should ever leave this place... will you come with me?”

“Oh, Tosa... Of course I will!” The two young longnecks grinned at each other.

“That way, we'll always be together, right?”

“Right.”

That night, Thunderfoot curled himself around Tosa, instead of it being the other way around. While she felt quite positive about the future, he felt uneasy about something. He didn't often get bad feelings, but right now he just felt like something truly devastating was about to happen, and he would be right.

The family said their good-nights and fell asleep, none of them aware of the disaster that would strike the very next day.

----------

Tosa, you jinxed it. :p

I dunno why, but I'm really not all that happy with this one. I guess the reason it took so long for me to upload it was because I was a little reluctant. I suppose it just feels a bit... weak compared to Chapter 7, and it's in between two very action packed and emotional chapters I guess. So here, have the boring one while I revamp Chapter 9 a bit and you guys can cry a bit more when that's up. :lol

It's been decided; Chapter 9 will be the end of the childhood part of the story, and it is probably the shortest part. Yeah... Grandma and Grandpa's childhood together summed up in 21199 words. Yes, I got it counted, and yes, that also includes Chapter 9. :P:

You may have to wait a bit for that though. Y'know, revamping and stuff, and I've got a bunch of other things I want to do. *sigh* Another busy week...

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I agree that it's not as interesting as the previous chapter. However, that doesn't mean it's poor written ;) I think you did your best and the outcome is nice.

Plot-wise, I think it's always a good idea to tell the readers the aftermath of disasters like that Fastbiter attack :) It's quite good that you made Tosa distraught and that Sorrel still has some problems with his injuries.

Uhm... not sure if I missed something but are T & T    I.N  L.O.V.E ??? The way they sleep together is cute btw :wub Fanart? :p

So no. 9's the sad one that ends their young years... I'll hate it for what happens in it (I have a good guess what.. but shhhhhhh :angel) and probably love it because of its greatness nonetheless (I assume it'll be great ;) )

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Anyway, about time I responded to you at last, Ducky.

I agree, and I wish I hadn't left it on such a... uninteresting chapter for such a long time. Chapter 9's been done for ages (as has Chapter 10 and Chapter 11's halfway done), and I should have updated days ago, if not last week. Well, just goes to show how much of a crappy mood I've been all week if I haven't had a smidge of motivation to upload it. :bang

Nonetheless, I can't say I had many other ideas as opposed to the transition between the disasters of the fast biter attack and... spoiler. Yeah, Sorrel's going to have problems with that injury for the rest of his life, unfortunately.

I'd say it's more of brother/sister relationship as opposed to romance at the moment. :p

Okay, so here it is! School's back soon, and since that means routine and actually making my brain do stuff, so hopefully that'll get me back into a 'regular updates' mindset... hopefully...

----------

Chapter 9: Disaster

Everyone woke up to a cloudy morning that day, and they were actually relieved when they saw the dark clouds heading their way.

“Finally,” said Sorrel with a smile on his face.

Tosa and Thunderfoot both cheered; they had never been so happy to have sky water in their lives.

“It might take a while before it actually gets here, though,” Eldridge pointed out. The darker clouds were quite distant yet, and would still take a fair amount of the day to reach the valley.

Camara and Bracken came for their usual daily business in the herd, and the children were allowed to go and play on the condition that they came back as soon as the sky water started falling from the sky. The other two longnecks would have to get back to their herd, as their elders had not come with them that day. Camara had told Eldridge that there was a meeting going on, and they wanted him there, not only because he was usually the voice of wisdom, but they wanted to know what Sorrel's herd was doing. He agreed, leaving Sorrel's herd for the first time since the fast biter attack.

The four longneck children played as usual that day, only stopping to chat about to approaching sky water.

“I'm so glad it's coming at last.” Camara sighed as she lay down to rest for a few minutes. “All this water rationing is getting on my nerves, and don't even get me started on the dried out leaves.”

“Agreed,” said Tosa, watching the dark clouds as they slowly approached. “I just wish it would get here already...”

“It will, soon enough,” Thunderfoot assured her.

Bracken, however, seemed uneasy. “Is it just me or is something flashing over there?” he asked. The others looked closely at the clouds, and indeed noticed an occasional white flash in the distance.

“Sky fire,” Thunderfoot concluded calmly. Camara stood up, watching the flashing intently.

“We should go,” she said finally. “Come on, Bracken.”

“Okay,” he answered. He turned to Tosa and Thunderfoot. “Goodbye, then.”

“See you later,” Tosa answered. She was surprised at how solemn Bracken looked. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I just have a bad feeling,” he answered. Thunderfoot stared at him.

“Strange. I had a bad feeling last night,” he muttered.

“Anyway...” Camara decided to end the conversation before her brother got too paranoid. “We'll be off. Goodbye you two!”

“Bye!”

Tosa and Thunderfoot decided to stay for a while, concluding that the storm wouldn't reach them for a while yet. Eventually they went for a walk, and for the first time in a while, they went out of sight of the herd. By the time they noticed that the dark cloud had almost reached them, they were in between both herds.

“I think we should probably head back,” Tosa said quietly as she heard the loud booming of the thunder in the distance.

“Perhaps we should,” Thunderfoot agreed. “I wonder if the other herd is closer...”

“I don't care,” said Tosa. “I want to get back to my parents.”

Thunderfoot sighed. He would rather be with his grandfather throughout the storm, but he knew that Tosa would be really on edge if she wasn't with her family, so he decided that they should probably head back to Tosa's herd.

It only took a split second.

The flash was only there for a brief moment, but it brought something terrible with it. After a few minutes, the two longnecks could smell the distinct aroma of smoke, and it wasn't long before they spotted some floating through the air.

“We've gotta go!” Tosa cried, starting to run back to her herd. Thunderfoot followed her, though hesitantly. He knew Tosa had the right idea. Her herd was closer to the fire exits than the other one was, but thoughts of his grandfather kept coming back to him.

Thunderfoot's life flashed before his eyes. His dearest mother and father who had left the world too soon... the grandmother and siblings he had barely gotten a chance to know... and his grandfather, his last living relative. Would this be his last day, leaving Thunderfoot alone far too early in his life?

“Thunderfoot, what are you doing?!” Tosa exclaimed when she noticed that her friend had turned around and was heading in the opposite direction. He stopped abruptly, but turned his head to look at her ever so slowly, a solemn look on his face.

“Tosa...” he started as the female rushed to his side. “I have to make sure my grandpa's okay...”

“Are you nuts?” Tosa demanded. “We have to get out of here!”

“Just get to your parents,” Thunderfoot instructed. “Get back to your herd.”

“Not without you,” she answered sternly.

“Tosa... he's the only family I've got left,” the young male said quietly. “I can't lose him now.”

“But you'll be heading downwind!” Tosa told him. “The fire will spread that way. Please Thunderfoot... don't go.”

“I have to.”

“Please!” The young girl was screaming at him now, tears of frustration rolling down her face. “You're going to get yourself killed!”

“And if we keep standing here arguing, we'll both get killed!” he argued. The two stared at each other for a few moments, before Thunderfoot calmed down and sighed. “I'm sorry.”

“Me too,” Tosa said quietly. “Your grandpa means a lot to you.”

“The world,” Thunderfoot confirmed. “Tosa... if this is it for me-”

“Don't say that.”

“But if it is... I just want you to know that you're the best friend a longneck like me could ever ask for.” Thunderfoot gave Tosa a sad smile as she broke down into tears. “However, if I make it... I'll come back to you.”

“I'll wait,” Tosa promised. “You know which fire escape path I'll be at.”

Thunderfoot just nodded, not even saying goodbye before he darted away into the distance. For both of them, goodbye would be just too much.

It was then when Tosa heard the screams and shouts of the panicked dinosaurs in the valley. She decided to run as fast as her legs would allow her. She wouldn't want her parents worrying too much about her. However, on the way, she couldn't stop thinking about Thunderfoot. The things he did for her... the friend she could only wish for... and she let him run away into grave danger... something that could take his life away.

Her face was wet with tears, her vision blurry from all of the crying, but she had to get a hold of herself. She wasn't safe yet, either. The ever-thickening smoke burned her throat, causing her to cough and splutter and making it hard to breathe. Thankfully, there was no sign of any fire yet. She, unlike Thunderfoot, was heading upwind of the fire, where it was less likely to spread.

“Tosa!” Her father's voice was full of relief when he saw her at the top of the escape path. Both him and Patrice were there, thankfully unscathed. Many other longnecks were there, too, but Tosa didn't pay attention to who was who. She just ran to her parents, wrapped her forelegs around one of her mother's and buried her head into it, sobbing and shaking uncontrollably.

“Oh love, you're all shaken up,” Patrice said softly, rubbing her head gently against her daughter's smaller body.

However, they soon realised that it wasn't the shock of the sudden disaster that had caused her to be so upset. Sorrel and Patrice exchanged worried glances when they realised Thunderfoot wasn't with her.

Tosa explained everything when she finally calmed down. Much to her dismay, she found out that Rye and his father had escaped through the same fire path as many in her herd had done, having been around that side of the valley together at the time the fire struck.

Although Sorrel and Patrice tried their best to comfort her, Tosa still cried, though it had toned down to silent tears.

Soon, as the dark clouds still rolled over their heads, the first drop of sky water fell.

“Oh, NOW it decides to fall,” Sorrel said grumpily. “It's a bit late.”

Tosa looked up, staring at the falling water. Why couldn't it come sooner?

“We'll have to go,” Sorrel said finally. “Everyone, follow me!”

“Who made you boss?” came a gruff voice. Everyone turned to stare at the owner of the voice, who just so happened to be Rye's father.

Sorrel gave him a cold stare in reply. “Seeing as the majority of longnecks here are from my herd, and seeing as I'm their leader, I believe that makes me the boss,” he answered. “If you don't like it, you and your son can go and get eaten by sharpteeth for all I care.”

The dark-skinned longneck just grunted and muttered something under his breath, but he didn't do much else. Meanwhile, the rest of the herd got ready to leave. All of them... except Tosa.

“Come on, dear.” Patrice gently nudged her daughter, who was staring blankly as more smoke billowed out from their home.

“I'm not going,” she answered plainly. “Thunderfoot said he'd be coming, and I promised to wait for him.”

Sorrel sighed and exchanged a sad glance with his mate before biting his lip and thinking intently about what he should say to the young longneck. Either way, it was going to be a hard blow.

“Tosa...” Sorrel took a deep breath, knowing what would probably happen once he said those next words. “Dear... look, we can't stay. I've got an entire herd to get to a new place that has enough food, and if Thunderfoot went back to the other herd – going downwind, too, for that matter – then... I'm sorry, but... chances are... he probably didn't make it.”

He was expecting her to wail and scream, but instead... silence. Patrice and Sorrel didn't know which was worse. They watched as their daughter sat there, overlooking the valley, as tears streamed down her face.

It took a few moments for the news to kick in. At first, Tosa didn't want to believe him, but then she realised that her father had a point. The rain had now put out the fire, and the destruction it had left behind – especially in the area where the other herd been staying – was immense. Her thoughts then trailed to her other friends, Camara and Bracken. They were both in that herd, too. What if she was the only one who had survived out of her group of friends?

Calming her down when she started was a huge struggle for Patrice and Sorrel. Her mother kept her close, gently nuzzling the child constantly, as her father tried to calm her with his gentle and soothing voice, which many in his herd would agree was not heard often. However, even when the herd left at the setting of the bright circle, Tosa did not stop crying.

She accidentally exchanged looks with Rye, who actually looked at her sympathetically. It seemed she had assumed that he would be happy about Thunderfoot's death, but he also knew how it felt to lose someone close to him. When his mother was still with them, neither Rye nor his father were too bad, although his father was still seen as a fearful longneck. However, he had pushed his mate to her limits, resulting in huge arguments that resulted in many scary fights, and eventually, her departure from the herd.

Rye was too frightened to go with his mother that day, after seeing how scary she could become. Unfortunately, he didn't know how scary his father was without a mate. A huge hole had been left in Rye's heart when his mother left, and his father had filled it with hate. More than anything, Rye was extremely jealous of Thunderfoot because he still had someone who loved him, while Rye just had an angry, cold-hearted, vicious longneck there for him who was changing him for the worse.

What Rye didn't know was how much worse he would soon grow to be. His father would have a much bigger influence on him than he thought possible. At the moment, he was still an innocent child, but he would grow into a copy of his father, doing horrible things to innocent dinosaurs.

Tosa was even more surprised when she noticed that Rye had also started letting silent tears fall, but he dared not let his father see him.

Part of her wanted to go to him and talk to him, but the other part said he wasn't trustworthy and might say something bad that would make her feel worse. In the end, the latter prevailed. She stayed on her mother's back as she walked on, her mind never drifting from Thunderfoot. He was gone, she would never see him again. Eldridge, too, the wise old longneck that had taught her many things and never failed to entertain her with his many stories.

She felt like her life was over. Without her best friend, someone she considered to be like a brother, by her side, she felt like she had nothing to live for any more. She wanted to end it all.

Tosa didn't get any sleep that night, knowing that she would get sleep scares about Thunderfoot if she did let herself fall asleep. From then on, she feared going to sleep, and always got into a panic when it started getting dark. It was hard for her parents too, as she would start crying randomly for almost no reason and say she wanted to end her life. Hearing her say those words broke their hearts, and although they tried as hard as they could to get her thinking straight, it was a struggle to get her to stop.

Even when she did stop, she was never herself again. She had lost more than one friend that day, and it left a massive hole in her heart that would take an eternity to heal. There was no more playing, no more happiness, no more good things in her life.

It was the last day she was truly happy for a long time. Her depression would last throughout her time of becoming an adult, and it seemed that life would throw even more tragedies at her just so it had something to laugh at.

Life would bring so many challenges, throw unexpected turns in her face, and each time, she would have to get through it, and every time she would, she would do it for her parent's sake. They needed her as much as she needed them, and she knew that one day, they would help heal her broken soul. To say she had nothing would be a lie, because she still had them, supporting her.  If they hadn't been there, she wouldn't be in the world long enough to experience some of the best times in her life that were still to come.

One day, it would get better. Deep down, Tosa knew that. But right now, she was torn apart.

----------

HEY GUYS! THUNDERFOOT ISN'T REALLY GRANDPA! It's actually... RYE!!!! :wow

What? I've made him a good-ish guy now. :DD

I was seriously considering discontinuing this fanfic to make way for another fic I'm planning (it's sequel, actually), but it wouldn't make sense since there's going to be characters in it that appear later in this fic and I want people to know their backstories as well as these guys'. It's kinda hard to tell a whole life story, since you've gotta have a few big tragedies and mid-life crises, as well as some calm and happy sutff, whereas with one story you just have to focus on one particular event (as well as sub-plots and the like).

And don't worry, I'm not going to discontinue the fic. I'm getting to the really good stuff after this... but then I just don't know what to do after that... :lol

Anyway, so that it is for the kiddie bit! Yes, I know I followed LBT 3 for this. I will do some shout out to the films and perhaps some other franchises with hidden quotes and some plot elements... mostly because I can't think of my own ideas. :p

Chapter 10 onwards will be a bit more interesting... hopefully. I have to start getting a bit more into... adult matters, I guess. We'll have to see how that turns out...

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, you told me on Skype that you don't like how this chapter is written but I, personally, can't agree with that.
You almost succeeded in making me cry at the end, and that doesn't happen very often... :wow

While you with no doubt cutted down the actual action you were more than successful with the emotional scenes. Tosa's pain felt so... real that I felt her pain, somewhat..

Of course Thunderfoot IS alive! Otherwise... he's not Grandpa and that would be weird  :blink:

Too sad their childhood's over now :cry I was getting used to them being innocent kids.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Wow, really? I guess I'm in one of those phases where I hate everything I do, and it's seriously gotten in the way of both my writing and my drawing. I had a pretty bad first day at school, with the bus skipping my stop, that huge blister on my foot, and other things that I won't go on about here.

Yeah. To be honest, I've found that there isn't really much action you can do with leafeaters like you can with sharpteeth, which is another reason why this story is so hard to write while keeping people interested, so I try more with emotional scenes than I do with action (and to be honest, emotional's easier for me, since these days it's a lot like how I feel. :p)

It would indeed.

Well, say goodbye to innocent Tosa, then. You're going to either hate her or feel really sorry for her in the next few chapters... if I ever decide to update again.

Speaking of which, I want to announce to any readers that this fanfic is going on a hiatus, unless something like school can motivate me to write again. I need to get out of this phase I'm going through and get up some more ideas, and I'll admit, I'm going through a slight depression episode right now, which is getting in the way of anything productive right now. I apologise for letting anyone down. :(

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's probably the best decision you can make to take a break of writing. I think the quality will suffer of your depression if you continue the writing while being in a depressive state.

I love emotional scenes (and I finally learned that it is 'emotional', not 'emotial' :p)

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Just so you guys know, I'm not completely off the hiatus yet. This chapter was written before I announced before the hiatus, so it doesn't count. :p

I did do a little bit of writing, but I haven't really done enough to finish a whole chapter yet. I would've done, but I was playing on Simpsons Hit & Run... and I sorta became a teeny weeny bit obsessed with it. :lol

----------

Chapter 10: Some Cold Times Later...

The two lone longnecks walked on, trying to get through the forest. It offered them cover and food, sure, but now that they were almost fully grown, they could easily get stuck in thick growth, and if that happened when there was a bunch of sharpteeth around, they would be screwed.

They finally found a way out, and came across a small flowing stream that would quench their thirst. The longnecks were two males, one a bluish grey, the other a brownish grey. They had both left their home fairly recently, after deciding that they wanted to travel the land, telling the longneck stories.

The bluish grey longneck had originally left with his last living relative, telling those stories, but soon that old longneck had passed away peacefully, and for a while, the youngster was left to tell the stories on his own. That was, until he met Saro.

He looked over to his new friend who was standing next to him, taking a drink. He was ever so enthusiastic about learning all of the longneck stories. Good for him, the other longneck, who had managed to keep his childhood dream alive, thought.

The bluish grey male looked around. Besides the forest behind them, the area was desolate. Ahead of them, past the stream, was rocky ground with hardly any food growing on it. Thankfully the climate in this particular area wasn't too hot and dry, so they would hopefully come across more water and possibly some rock fuzz to keep them going.

The journey took them to a cave embedded in a high rock wall that no dinosaur would dare climb over. Unfortunately for the two longnecks, the only place they knew of that had plenty of food was on the other side, and nobody had told them of any entrances. Apparently, a longneck herd lived there, which was the reason for these two going in the first place.

They decided to rest within that cave for the night, luckily finding some green rock fuzz to sustain them for the time being.

One of the males was looking out while the other was trying to get an early night. The bright circle was setting, creating beautiful shades of deep orange and red in the sky. The world could be a beautiful yet deadly place. Some could live amazing lives while others could live devastating ones, and sometimes he wondered why.

He was so lost in thought that it took him a while to notice a lone longneck heading across the distance.

“Hey, Thunderfoot,” Saro said quietly, lightly tapping his friend's back to get his attention.

Thunderfoot just groaned in reply, before opening his eyes and glaring at Saro. Saro glanced at him briefly before he looked over to the other longneck in the distance, his eyes narrowed.

“Thinking about your grandpa again?” Saro guessed, all but getting a nod in reply. Unlike Thunderfoot, he had no idea what it was like to have a proper family, having been a child of the nesting grounds, and one of the lucky ones to make it to adulthood.

“He passed away peacefully, and I should be grateful that he lived to such a great age, but I do miss him greatly,” Thunderfoot replied.

Saro stood there in silence for a while. Sometimes he did feel quite jealous of Thunderfoot for having a family, but he knew about his past as well, and it wasn't always a particularly happy one. He had lost his parents, and his grandfather was the only one there to look after him since his childhood.

Then, there was Tosa. The miracle girl who made it all better. They were best friends for ages, until the fire struck. It was the day Thunderfoot chose family over friends, and while he didn't regret finding his grandfather and making sure he was safe, he still missed her dearly. He had never found another friend like her since. He was lucky; he was almost caught in the middle of the fire, until Camara's mother found him and took him out of the fire escape path to be reunited with his grandpa, who had made it out safely. However, they couldn't persuade the herd to go around to meet Sorrel's, so they had no choice but to keep going. Thunderfoot hadn't seen her since.

“I think you should take a look at this.” Saro finally spoke up, and Thunderfoot got himself up and walked to the other longneck's side.

At first his expression was confused, then his eyes narrowed, then his expression changed to one of realization, and finally, shock. Surely that wasn't him...

Saro watched Thunderfoot with faint amusement. He wasn't expecting that kind of reaction from him.

“Know him?” he finally asked when Thunderfoot's jaw dropped.

“That can't be possible... that's impossible...”

“You didn't answer the question.”

Thunderfoot shot another glare at Saro, who grinned at him in reply.

“I think I know him,” Thunderfoot said, narrowing his eyes. “But is it him?”

The longneck was a bluish grey, like Thunderfoot, but it seemed that his colours had dulled with age. There were scars on his back, where it seemed predators had ripped out his flesh. He was too far away to see many other details.

“Sorrel...” Thunderfoot whispered. “Could it be?”

“Who?” Saro questioned.

“Tosa's father,” Thunderfoot quickly explained. He soon shook his head. “It can't be. He wouldn't be alone.”

The longneck looked over at them, seeming to give them the same examination Thunderfoot had just given him, but he soon looked away and carried on walking towards the direction of the forest they had come out of earlier.

“Could've been the Lone Dinosaur,” Saro suddenly suggested.

“I doubt it,” Thunderfoot replied. “Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to try and get some sleep.”

“Yes, sir,” said Saro as Thunderfoot lay down again with a gentle thud.

Unknowingly to him, though, Thunderfoot wasn't actually thinking about sleeping just yet. What he had just seen still bothered him greatly, and he kept thinking about it. Indeed, he looked scarily similar to Sorrel, even having the same scars he remembered, but was there really any way that he would be alone? Surely he had a herd to lead, and if not, then surely he would have his family with him at least? There was a sense of dread in Thunderfoot's heart. Had something bad happened to Patrice and Tosa?

“If I see that longneck again tomorrow, I need to talk to him,” he suddenly blurted out.

“Are you crazy?” Saro questioned. “He's alone, covered with scars, and if I'm honest with you, he just freaks me out. Doesn't that seem a little bit... suspicious to you?”

“It does,” Thunderfoot replied calmly. “I need to ask him why he's alone, and see if I can get any information out of him.”

“You've gone treesweets,” said Saro, shaking his head.

“Have I now?”

“Look, we're here on a job,” Saro told him. “We'll find a way in, ask that herd if they know anything about that old longneck and if he turns out to be... that guy, then we'll go talk to him after, okay?”

Thunderfoot sighed. He wasn't willing to get into an argument with Saro right now, so he just agreed and settled down again for the night. He tried to shrug off the worry he was feeling, but failed. He had to find out what was going on, one way or another.

~

Meanwhile, on the other side of the rocky mountain, a young female was lying at her usual spot by a small pond, watching a child who was trying to amuse herself. She chased some flying bugs for a short while before finding a way to have fun using a treestar by putting it over her head and walking around blind.

She wasn't allowed out of the female's sight. She was the child of a monster, and everyone knew it. Many had tried to get rid of her, but it wasn't her fault. Linnaea couldn't help being born, and only two longnecks in the whole herd would bother caring for her, one of which was the young adult female lying by the pond.

Every now and then she would look at her reflection, and would see a tired, depressed face looking back at her. Life had been cruel to this longneck ever since that disaster many years ago. She wondered if her face now was like the one that old friend of hers wore all the time before they met.

There wasn't a day when she didn't think about him. She believed him to be dead, having not seen him for what felt like an eternity. He didn't keep his promise about meeting her afterwards...

Linnaea rushed over to her when the little one heard loud footsteps approaching. Both of them tensed up, the larger, grey female wrapping her tail around the tiny, brown hatchling protectively. When the warm, kind face of an older female emerged, they relaxed.

“You two need to learn to calm down,” she said, settling herself next to the grey longneck.

“Please tell me how I can do that when the whole herd is out for her?” the other female retaliated.

“No one's attacked her for ages,” said the older, green female. She was showing the first signs of old age; her skin colours were beginning to dull and deeper wrinkles were showing on her face. She looked at the youthful face of her daughter, whose eyes were still terrified. They didn't show happiness any more. That emotion hadn't presented itself in her for years now.

“That doesn't mean someone won't,” her daughter finally answered. Linnaea went back to playing with the treestar again, not listening to the conversation.

“I understand you're scared for her, Tosa...” Patrice started, but she struggled to carry on. In the end she lifted her tail and whacked it on the ground again before growling to herself in frustration. “This is a mess...”

“You can say that again,” Tosa said blankly.

The two lay in silence for a long time as they watched the bright circle sink behind the mountains that surrounded their home... even though a prison would be a better name for it. The only sounds they could hear was the child's laughter as she played and the crickets chirping in the bushes.

“If only your father was here...” Patrice whispered after the silence. Tosa said nothing, but instead rubbed her head against her mother's as both of them began to cry.

“If Father was with us, we wouldn't be here,” Tosa answered. “We would be out living happy lives like we should be... but we just had to get stuck here...”

Linnaea stopped playing when she saw the two adults together. It wasn't an uncommon sight for her, and she had already gotten used to it in her short life. It still made her feel sad when she saw them like this, though.

“We don't even know whether or not he's still alive,” Patrice said sadly. “But if he was sent out there in that wasteland on his own...”

“He probably didn't make it.” Tosa was quick to come to such conclusions these days. Her mother just sighed as she became more upset.

Linnaea slowly approached them, and snuggled against Tosa's foreleg for a few moments before looking up at her sadly. Tosa gave her a sad smile in return and gently nuzzled the child.

“Sorry,” she whispered. Linnaea kept gazing at her, not saying a word. She was always a timid girl, never saying very much at all. She just smiled at the adult, nothing coming out of her mouth.

Tosa wrapped her forelegs around Linnaea and cuddled the young one. She knew that she had to stay strong for the hatchling, but deep down, she could feel her spirit shattering. How much more she could take, she didn't know, but if she didn't get out soon, she would probably die.

“I heard there are story speakers arriving soon.” Patrice spoke up, trying to break the silence.

“Unless I can go with them, that doesn't really mean much to me. I won't be going to listen to that. I don't believe in such stuff any more,” Tosa answered bluntly.

“Linnaea might want to go,” Patrice said softly.

“She won't.”

“Why not?”

“Have you seen how even the other children treat her, Mother? There's a reason she stays with me all day, you know.”

“People are too quick to judge these days...” Patrice sighed in exasperation.

“I swear, they're like bunch of little Rye's,” said Tosa. “You know she can be clumsy sometimes. She accidentally bumped into one of them and now she refuses to play with them. She won't tell me exactly what happened.”

Linnaea was listening closely to the conversation. She still wouldn't tell Tosa what happened, and she wasn't sure if she ever would. Needless to say, she could make her own decisions, and she thought that story speakers arriving would be interesting. She could sneak away tomorrow if Tosa took a nap while Patrice was away. She didn't do it often, but it would be an adventure. The kid would just have to very careful...

----------

I swear my ideas are getting worse. Here we introduce Linnaea, and hopefully she's still a bit of a mystery right now. I'll elaborate on this now: Linnaea is in Tosa and Patrice's care. Don't be jumping to conclusions. :p

And Saro has finally been introduced. The reason why I didn't want him in the childhood is because I didn't really want him to actually know Tosa before now, so Thunderfoot could go on about how much she meant to him. That, and if I remember the flashback in that TV episode correctly, (during the song's line "Friends are made by saying hi!"), that scene showed Saro first turning up at one of Thunderfoot's speaking sessions as what looked like an adolescent, or that's what it looked like to me. The thing is, he's here now, but it seemed you guys weren't waiting on him too much, anyways.

So... it's not too much of an interesting chapter, like Chapter 8, but I gotta have an introductory chapter for adulthood, and this is what I came up with. As you can see, Thunderfoot's living his dream and his life's going quite swell. Tosa, on the other hand... well, it's going a bit crap (<--- understatement of the Mesozoic era :lol).

OMG SORREL'S BEEN CLONED!! I'm still going to leave it up to you's who you think that guy is, though I guess I ruined it with the second part of this chapter. :p

I think the chapters may start becoming a bit longer now, but that depends on the content of each chapter. 11, for example, has a bit more stuff going on, so we'll see.

If I can get my lazy fingers to type and do something productive other than playing video games, then Chapter 11 should be finished fairly soon. I really should stop playing the games anyway: they make me turn into a huge green rage monster. :lol

I need to start using better words. Thesaurus, help me out next time. I just realised it's a very handy tool. :p

Anyways, hope you enjoy! It'll get better (I hope) in later chapters.

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Finally had the time to catch back up.

It best to not write when depressed..I do and look what happens