The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

True Spirit Form

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Would it be a good idea to have this in The Land Before Time (Series), if the soul and essence of a deceased dinosaur was able to interact with the living, albeit not physically, just like the Force Ghost ability in Star Wars?

For example instead of them appearing like this in spirit form:

They would appear appear like this in spirit form:

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
Uh...question JBJB1029...what is with all these random topics in the fanart/fanfiction section that don't have to do with fanart and fanfiction?

Same with the eight or nine that you started in the General LBT section.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Adder,Jan 5 2011 on  09:21 PM
Uh...question JBJB1029...what is with all these random topics in the fanart/fanfiction section that don't have to do with fanart and fanfiction?

Same with the eight or nine that you started in the General LBT section.
Then where do you think in which forum it should go in?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Aye, I have been told that this thread was in the wrong forum (so I take it that this was a request to move it), but not which one would be the right forum. Since I presume for the content of this thread to be about the planning of some fanfiction, why would this section be wrong?

As for the question, I am generally not into crossing overs and even if none is intended, I personally would prefer any such contacts to remain somewhat more spiritual. If all the dead ones just appeared for a nice chat every now and then with the only difference to the physical presence being that they were a little more transparent, then what would be the big deal about death anyway?

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jan 6 2011 on  03:29 AM
Aye, I have been told that this thread was in the wrong forum (so I take it that this was a request to move it), but not which one would be the right forum. Since I presume for the content of this thread to be about the planning of some fanfiction, why would this section be wrong?
Read what Adder posted in this topic and you'll find out why.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I did, but seriously I don't get the point. Why would it be under general LBT when the nature of the topic clearly marks it as referring primarily to the ideas of a fan rather than any content of the actual movies or episodes.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jan 6 2011 on  11:10 AM
I did, but seriously I don't get the point. Why would it be under general LBT when the nature of the topic clearly marks it as referring primarily to the ideas of a fan rather than any content of the actual movies or episodes.
:o Well if you say it belongs in the Fanart and Fanfiction Forum, then it doesn't need to be moved.

Karmarsi

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://karmarsi-kedamoki.deviantart.com
Quote from: JBJB1029,Jan 6 2011 on  12:33 PM
Quote from: Malte279,Jan 6 2011 on  11:10 AM
:o Well if you say it belongs in the Fanart and Fanfiction Forum, then it doesn't need to be moved.
Except they didn't say that. I think it'd go in the fridge really since it's not strictly to LBT and it's not art or a story.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jan 6 2011 on  03:29 AM
As for the question, I am generally not into crossing overs and even if none is intended, I personally would prefer any such contacts to remain somewhat more spiritual. If all the dead ones just appeared for a nice chat every now and then with the only difference to the physical presence being that they were a little more transparent, then what would be the big deal about death anyway?
What are you trying to say?

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
^
He's saying that if living things were to be able to live as transparent "ghosts" after they die, then dying wouldn't really be all that scary. :p

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Aye and neither would the loss be quite so severe for everyone else if the dead ones were able to just pop up for a chat differing mostly by being a little more transparent than their living selfs.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jan 6 2011 on  12:51 PM
Aye and neither would the loss be quite so severe for everyone else if the dead ones were able to just pop up for a chat differing mostly by being a little more transparent than their living selfs.
Why did Littlefoot's mother come back in Spirit form?

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Uhh.. to help guide him to the Great Valley? Everyone knows that, lol.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: 2007excalibur2007,Jan 6 2011 on  01:24 PM
Uhh.. to help guide him to the Great Valley? Everyone knows that, lol.
Excactly "to help him", so why not have his mother come back in true spirit form and this topic called The Chosen One will explain why.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: JBJB1029,Jan 6 2011 on  03:03 PM
"to help him"
The point of him seeing his mother in the clouds was to help him only in his dire time of need to find the Great Valley. If his mother could come back in spirit form, it would defeat the purpose of the journey to the valley itself. This can also go with a debate that was had on GOF as to what would happen if the mother never died. Littlefoot would not have learned the values he learned throughout the journey because his mother would have been there to guide him in how she thought best. Most of all, Littlefoot would not have achieved the instinct to survive in the first place. Sure he would have found it later on, but it made much more of an impact that he found it at such a young age.

To add what everybody else has pretty much said, having the characters come back in spirit form like you suggest would completely eliminate the tragedy of death. Sure they wouldn't be around in physical form, but if they appear every now and then to chat then the significance of the death is lost. Also, a spirit form like you suggest is a little too science fiction for the franchise. Yes we saw the first real evidence of science fiction in LBT VII, but that is one of the common complaints against the movie. You really can't count Littlefoot seeing his mother in the clouds as her spirit form, because for all we know Littlefoot was just seeing things. His mother did say let his heart guide him and that she would be with him in his heart, so really doing so could have triggered the cloud scene.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTFan13,Jan 6 2011 on  11:27 PM
Quote from: JBJB1029,Jan 6 2011 on  03:03 PM
"to help him"
The point of him seeing his mother in the clouds was to help him only in his dire time of need to find the Great Valley. If his mother could come back in spirit form, it would defeat the purpose of the journey to the valley itself. This can also go with a debate that was had on GOF as to what would happen if the mother never died. Littlefoot would not have learned the values he learned throughout the journey because his mother would have been there to guide him in how she thought best. Most of all, Littlefoot would not have achieved the instinct to survive in the first place. Sure he would have found it later on, but it made much more of an impact that he found it at such a young age.

To add what everybody else has pretty much said, having the characters come back in spirit form like you suggest would completely eliminate the tragedy of death. Sure they wouldn't be around in physical form, but if they appear every now and then to chat then the significance of the death is lost. Also, a spirit form like you suggest is a little too science fiction for the franchise. Yes we saw the first real evidence of science fiction in LBT VII, but that is one of the common complaints against the movie. You really can't count Littlefoot seeing his mother in the clouds as her spirit form, because for all we know Littlefoot was just seeing things. His mother did say let his heart guide him and that she would be with him in his heart, so really doing so could have triggered the cloud scene.
Well secrets have been kept from Littlefoot and the last dinosaur who knew those secrets passes away with him, so explain to me how Littlefoot finds out those secrets about his destiny.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: JBJB1029,Jan 7 2011 on  05:19 PM
Well secrets have been kept from Littlefoot and the last dinosaur who knew those secrets passes away with him, so explain to me how Littlefoot finds out those secrets about his destiny.
I'm sorry, but could you rephrase the question? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by secrets to his destiny.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
Quote from: LBTFan13,Jan 7 2011 on  06:18 PM
Quote from: JBJB1029,Jan 7 2011 on  05:19 PM
I'm sorry, but could you rephrase the question? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by secrets to his destiny.
Neither do I. It sounds like he is talking about Star Wars or something... :confused  :unsure:

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: JBJB1029,Jan 8 2011 on  05:19 AM
I don't comprehend the "secrets" part. What kind of "secrets" could his mother possibly keep from him? :confused :confused

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile