The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Tops

Malte279 · 94 · 16353

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Many of you listed him as a "most hated" character.
With all his mistakes I think that Cera's Dad is a most interesting character to examine. Looking at his attitude (and general threehorn attitude) in the original movie and his behavior in later sequels he may possibly be regarded (funny as it sounds) as a precursor of threehorn / non-threehorn relationships. I know this may sound stupid, but he came across as the worst racist in the original movie and he certainly had not abandoned his attitudes in LBT 2 and 3. There were later racist remarks in LBT 5 and 6 as well. Nevertheless he is learning. In LBT 7 he accepts (though he is very embarrassed by it) the opinion of the other dinosaurs as him being the one to delay everything. In LBT 8 we have him fool around with Littlefoot's grandpa. He won't ever ridden himself of all his prejudices, but he is learning and to some degree improving himself. This is something that cannot be said about many other characters. Most of them either don't change at all or else are so perfect already that there is no need for them to change.
What do we know about Tops' youth? It is very likely that he was raised in a racist manner. For somebody like that it would be extremely difficult to overcome prejudices. What tragedy befell him in the original movie? Where is his wife? Where are his other children? Whose children are Dinah and Dana (who by their looks don't seem to be the same species as Cera)? I think that there is a lot more to Tops than the "tough racist" as which perhaps he wants to be seen.

For myself Cera's Dad is just very hard to like, he frequently makes really bad decisions that end in either getting him or others killed. He blames Littlefoot for the kids always going off on their own, ignoring the outside circumstances that force them too,  3 of which are the direct result of his own stubbornness, and he's never properly called out for any of this. He does get more likeable once Tria comes around and he does soften up, but man is he far from my favorite charachter

I kinda agree with both of these viewpoints to an extent. I can acknowledge that Topsy is one of the more nuanced characters when you look at how he develops over the course of the films. However, I'm largely with Cloud here in that he's just difficult to like. A bit ironic considering that Cera is one of my favourite characters while Topsy is one of my least, but there you have it.

His first major scene in the series ("Come, Cera! Threehorns never play with longnecks!") doesn't paint him in a very flattering light, but it's a necessary moment in establishing how the dinosaur species are segmented and prejudiced against each other. Likewise, I enjoyed his character development in the third film when he comes to realize what a lousy father he's been and how much of a jerk he is in general.

But then, over the next several films, and he largely remains a racist jerkhead. Which is realistic in the sense that most people who are mean and/or prejudiced probably wouldn't outgrow those traits quickly, especially if they've been that way all their lives up to that point. All the same, it made Topsy hard to warm up to. I do appreciate some of his more subtle moments where you see that he's not so bad deep down, but even despite that, he seems a bit too much of the "stereotypical grumpy dinosaur" at times.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 12:31:19 AM by StardustSoldier »

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
uh oh...
Please, don't make daddy Topps angry, somebody, rename thread name?  :sducky
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Also, welcome to the forum, @Cloud5001!

I would make an official welcome thread for him, yep yep yep! :duckyhappy
I’ll wait a few days to see if he makes one for himself, however before doing so.

uh oh...

Okay, the title of the thread will be renamed “Topsy” then. Is that fine with Mr. Threehorn?

« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 08:36:36 PM by ImpracticalDino »

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Oh, whoever rename it, would not be seen again. Cera will make sure... D:
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
If Cera or Topsy has a problem with the thread getting renamed, they can take it up with the mods. :P

Cloud5001

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Also, welcome to the forum, @Cloud5001!

I would make an official welcome thread for him, yep yep yep! :duckyhappy
I’ll wait a few days to see if he makes one for himself, however before doing so.

uh oh...

Okay, the title of the thread will be renamed “Topsy” then. Is that fine with Mr. Threehorn?

Hehe well thanks for the welcome you guys, and I appreciate you using the catchphrase of my favorite character to do it. As for Threehorn as I said he's a lot more likeable once Tria and Tricia come along, but even then he can have his jerk moments. At least two times he makes Chomper feel bad, and both times this almost ends up getting Chomper killed because Threehorn just has to troll him.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
He’a never been most hated character for me. That goes to Yellowbelly Doofah. :p
I despise Tops’ racism, but I do like that he has made progress on that front. 

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Little Bro

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Topsy eventually will spam, "3HORNS RULE" on this thread. :lol
Go Chomper!

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
Topsy eventually will spam, "3HORNS RULE" on this thread. :lol

Most likely with help from Cera. :p

Seriously, though, as much of a pain as Topsy can be, he's too much of an integral character in LBT for me to imagine what it would be like not to have him around. He had a pretty good development arc over the series, and his grumpy personality lent itself well to several comedic moments. R.I.P. John Ingle, no one will ever be able to live up to your Topsy.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Topsy brings tension to the Great Valley. If it was all Grabdpa and Grandma longnecks it woukd be very dull. While I reiterate I despise Toops racist remarks and I am bot fond of his blame shifting, he is as @RainbowFaceProtege said, “an intergal character.” Without him every crises would be too calm.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Topsy brings tension to the Great Valley. If it was all Grabdpa and Grandma longnecks it woukd be very dull. While I reiterate I despise Toops racist remarks and I am bot fond of his blame shifting, he is as @RainbowFaceProtege said, “an intergal character.” Without him every crises would be too calm.

My thoughts exactly. :yes Can't say I approve of Topsy's actions, either, but he's a necessary character to bring some conflict to the Valley now and then.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

My thoughts exactly. :yes Can't say I approve of Topsy's actions, either, but he's a necessary character to bring some conflict to the Valley now and then.

Just as Cera does with the Gang. Without her it would be all kindness and cutenss. She adds the rought and tough reality, saying what no one will or what everyone is thinking. ;)Cera

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Just as Cera does with the Gang. Without her it would be all kindness and cutenss. She adds the rought and tough reality, saying what no one will or what everyone is thinking. ;)Cera

Yeah, I feel the same way about her as I do about Topsy--she's not one of my favorites in the group, but her character type is necessary to be a foil to the others. (If Universal ever tried to sugar up her personality, as I've seen happen to feisty characters in other cartoons before, I'd be livid!)

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Cera’s crankiness is evidently passed down from her father. He groomed her with his “threehorns don’t play with longnecks.”