The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Petrie's Mother

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Bruton the Iguanodon

On the other hand she seems to be easily influenced. We see her among the other squabbling grownups when grandpa calls for reason in LBT 3. We see her looking rather intimidated at the tale about the land of mists in LBT 4. And unless memory is cheating me as I have seen the movie only two times and a while ago too she was very ready to participate in Mr. Threehorn's witchhunt in LBT 11.

Well, that's where Petrie gets it from, then! (remember in 9 when he said he could think for himself and wasn't gonna follow the others, and then Cera called him and he followed?)

And yes, she did participate in the witch hunt, but then again, everyone initially (other then Grandma and Grandpa) did. And what does being intimidated by a true story have to do with being influenced? If I read something nasty in the paper, hell, I'm gonna be unnerved, horrified, and whatnot, so I don't see how this fits in with what you're saying...

elvis

• Ruby
    • View Profile
hi, what i would like to say about Petrie's Mother Petrie's Mother, voiced by Tress MacNeille and known as Mama Flyer by fans[1], is a character in the Land Before Time films and television series. She is a Pteranodon, which is one of many species referred to as "Flyers" by the characters. She has a big heart toward all the young ones and is protective of her children. She once offered comfort to Ducky's mother when the latter was abducted by Pterano and his minions. Although she believes her brother would never intentionally hurt anyone, she is quite severe on Pterano, and makes it clear that she does not trust him. She plays a major role in the Great Day Of The Flyers. She is a member of the Circle Of Elders.
   If i am not wrong if wrong so kinda share your views...

Bruton the Iguanodon

I really love her. She is kind and sweet and a beautiful blue color. She and Petrie have a great mom-son relationship!

Bruton the Iguanodon

I also consider her rather underated. Most fans for some reason seem to like her (cough*idiot*cough) brother too much to even consider her, even though she's appeared way more.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I like the character.  Though she's not in as much in some movies as in others.  And as for going along with the others the plot sort of requires it so the kids can save the day often.  One way of writing fiction aimed at kids.

Duckia

• Ruby
    • View Profile

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Jan 22 2012 on  07:44 PM
I also consider her rather underated. Most fans for some reason seem to like her (cough*idiot*cough) brother too much to even consider her, even though she's appeared way more.
No, that's not the reason people don't like her as much. Just because they love Pterano doesn't mean they aren't considering her.

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jan 22 2012 on  10:00 PM
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Jan 22 2012 on  07:44 PM
No, that's not the reason people don't like her as much. Just because they love Pterano doesn't mean they aren't considering her.
Eeeyup. And just because they like Pterano doesn't mean they're idiots. That's just prejudice.

:lol I just came up with something...If there's one thing I don't tolerate, it's prejudice.  :lol

And it's true! I don't tolerate prejudice.
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
^^ I'm sorry, but I have to finish this for you  ;)

"If there's one thing I don't tolerate, it's prejudice!"

"Then why are you judging me?"

"Right, make that two things. Prejudice and stupid questions!"

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
:lol  :lol  :lol Good one, LBTFan13!  :lol
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol

Bruton the Iguanodon

We see her looking rather intimidated at the tale about the land of mists in LBT 4.

You talking about this flyer mother we see?

Cause that's not her. She's not even drawn as a giant Petrie which is the case whenever they mess up her color.

And by they way, who's the threehorn next to Topps here?

I know the bigger one is Topps cause I heard his voice saying "changing" but is the other one one Dinah and Dana's parents and consequentially one of Cera's older siblings?  :huh:

Bruton the Iguanodon

On the other hand she seems to be easily influenced. We see her among the other squabbling grownups when grandpa calls for reason in LBT 3. We see her looking rather intimidated at the tale about the land of mists in LBT 4. And unless memory is cheating me as I have seen the movie only two times and a while ago too she was very ready to participate in Mr. Threehorn's witchhunt in LBT 11.

You're bashing her for being intimidated by a dark story?! For not being as perfect as Littlefoot's grandpa? For participating in a witchunt that almost everyone else, including HER OWN SON, participated in?  :huh:

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Exactly what part of that comment did you consider "bashing" Petrie's mom? I read it, and nowhere in there did it sound like they were bashing his mother. They were just pointing out something that had occurred. Stating that she is "easily influenced" is not the same as bashing her. Do you realize that not every negative, not so pretty comment about a character is bashing?

Bruton the Iguanodon

OK, it's just I think some of that stuff was perfectly natural for her.

We see her among the other squabbling grownups when grandpa calls for reason in LBT 3.

So what? Adults will argue! The fact that Grandpa wasn't annoys me, because I think it's wrong to portray him and Grandma  as perfect while the rest are normal.

We see her looking rather intimidated at the tale about the land of mists in LBT 4.

So what? If I read a story about the weather changing somewhere, it would be natural to be intimidated. As for the grandparents not being, see above. (By the way, I'm not sure it is her---for reference check the pic I posted above.)

And unless memory is cheating me as I have seen the movie only two times and a while ago too she was very ready to participate in Mr. Threehorn's witchhunt in LBT 11.

She did, but did she have any idea what the creepy crawlies were? Her son did as well, even getting a singing part about it, I might point out. So did everyone else in the valley except Littlefoot, who knew the truth about the treesweets' disapearence, and...yeah, you guessed it, the freakin' perfect grandparents.

All I'm saying is she's normal and doesn't deserved to be portrayed in a negative light for being so.

Raptor3245

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I'm surprised no one's made a fanfic about her past with Pterano or her husband.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Noname,Apr 20 2008 on  12:44 AM
Does anyone have any guesses as to what happened to him?
Well, in a fanfic of mine, I made him turn out to be part of Pterano's herd.  Petrie really takes the news hard when he finds out.

DaveTheAnalyzer

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://davetheanalyzer.dreamwidth.org
I do like how calm and reasonable Mama Flyer usually is. She is kind when calming Petrie’s fears and tried to help him when he struggled during the Day of the Great Flyers. She must be a source of reason and stability in Petrie’s often chaotic life. I kind of surmise she came to accept Petrie’s friends because they bring out the best in him and she’s grateful for that. She seems to value the gang when they helped her and her family in those two TV episodes. She’s not immune to the usual hysteria that sweeps the valley but she seems to be among the grownups with a better head on her shoulders.

I think Mama Flyer’s relationship to Pterano is a mixed bag. She seems to have some genuine affection for him and probably prefers when he’s doing small kindnesses like entertaining children instead of plotting grand schemes that only get everyone involved in trouble. She has no illusions about what he did and seems to understand the difficult penance he must endure for his actions. I’m fascinated by their sibling relationship. I wish it got a bit more spotlight.

As for where her husband might be – I kind of headcanon that they have separated but still live in the valley and cooperate enough that the children could stay with him. This is partly an explanation for why the number of siblings Petrie has fluctuates. They’re staying with Dad! He’s more involved than most flyer fathers generally are tradition, which she appreciates.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Petrie certainly refers to her as “Momma, look I am a flyer.” (LBT OR). But weither flyer is their last name is debatable. I actually like Momma, she is caring and even risked her life for Petrie’s Snuggling Stick.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith