The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Is J-Lo a fraud?

credence007

• Ruby
    • View Profile
So it’s come to light in recent years that Jennifer Lopez’s music career is not what it appears to be.

“If You Had My Love”:

First of all, her debut song “If You Had My Love” was actually a rip off of another song called “If I Gave Love” by a little known artist named Chante Moore, the chorus of which is eerily similar to J-Lo’s song. Additionally, if you listen closely, the chorus of the song has a different voice than J-Lo’s.

“Play”:

The chorus of this song was CONFIRMED to have Christina Milian’s vocals entirely, even by Christina Milian herself, while the chorus is J-Lo’s voice. It’s probably the most well known case of J-Lo using someone else’s voice for her music.

“I’m Real”:

I consider this title to be the most ironic, as half the song is sung by another artist. The chorus sounds NOTHING like J-Lo. This song is also an example of how Tommy Mottola, former president of Sony Records, actively tried to destroy the music career of his ex-wife, Mariah Carey. Mariah requested the rights to sample an old song for the song “Loverboy”, which she was working on at the time. However, a few weeks later, the rights were given to J-Lo instead, leaving Mariah to scramble to find another sample to use for “Loverboy”. This was due to Tommy Mottola’s shady business deals to get back at his ex-wife.

“I’m Real remix feat. Ja Rule” and “Ain’t It Funny remix feat. Ja Rule”:

Both of these songs with Ja Rule incorporate Ashanti’s voice in place of J-Lo’s. Ashanti is FAR more vocally talented than J-Lo and it shows in these songs.

“Jenny From The Block”

It seems as if we WERE fooled by the rocks that she’s got. And by rocks I mean stolen vocals. Once again, the vocals were recorded by an artists who surprisingly DOES bare some resemblance to J-Lo’s real singing voice, so she got away with it more easily.

J-Lo didn’t ad lib ALL her songs, however. I feel as though the later songs where she actually used her own voice, her voice is incredibly lackluster. Examples are “Dance Again” and “On The Floor”, in which her vocals are incredibly weak and do not sound as though they come from a legendary artist of J-Lo’s caliber, even though they are her real vocals.

With all this said, I’m not saying anything against J-Lo. In fact, I love J-Lo and her music. It’s still great music, but I still think it’s important to acknowledge the fact that she is not necessarily a talented singer and has made her music career off of using vocals from other artists.