The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

It is NOT Littlefoot

Petrie. · 17 · 2268

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
There seems to be a difference of opinion on a particular rendition of "If We Hold On Together" where Ducky is singing alongside another of her LBT stars.  Question is, we (as in the members here) have two different answers: Littlefoot or Cera.

I'll lay down my opinion first.

For those that say its Littlefoot, I say that's got to be the worst rendition of our little apatosaur friend they've ever done if its supposed to be him.  Know why?  That's a female voice singing, bar none.

Sure, some very popular characters have had female voices and they play roles of young male children:

Rudolph (Rankin/Bass 1964 - Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer)
Babe (Babe)
Chuckie (Rugrats)
Ash Ketchum (Pokemon)

Offhand those are the four I know of.  But these four actually hide the fact they have female voice actors behind them.  They sound like young male children.  This song did not do that.

So that leaves only one other female character I can come up with, and that is Cera.  It would make sense for Cera too since she was the least likely in the first film to go along with the group, so recognizing that if "they hold on together" they'll make it through fits the theme of the movie.  I had thought that the singer might have been Ali even for some time, but compare the voice of Ali to the singer in the song....Ali is much higher in tone, so I nixed her very fast, even though she could compellingly have a reason to be a part of the song.

For those of you that think its Littlefoot, at least give some compelling evidence that it is him and why it is not Cera.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I originally thought it was Cera.  I changed it on the website based on Malte informing me that Cera was an error, and that it should be Littlefoot.

I was surprised, but I took his word for it.  I honestly do not know for certain, but I sincerely thought it was Cera and Ducky singing the song.  At this point, I almost don't know what to do.  Any thoughts, Malte?

In my mind, since the first time I heard the song, it was Cera and Ducky, which is why I labelled the lyrics page like that in the first place.  I was corrected by Malte on that, and now you're saying that he is incorrect.  Perhaps I'll just go with my gut, that it is Cera's voice  :p

This is the same problem I had when trying to figure out who was singing the End Credits to LBT 11!

yes, Malte.  Info would be awesome, on this topic  :DD

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It's strange, at some times it sounds like Cera, but at others you'd swear it was Littlefoot.

Well I know the two do sound alike as when I was listening to "Always There" I thought at first it was Littlefoot singing in the beginning (I haven't seen that movie in a while so...) but when I heard her say "Almost" lol I remembered that and I was like "oops" :lol. Then when I heard Littlefoot I'm like "Now THIS is Littlefoot"

Also Littlefoot did at some times have a very feminem sound to his voice...
Thomas Dekker could have also raised his voice for that particular song, and made it sound more magical

And also, why would Cera and Ducky singing make any sense at all in the first movie? Even though (as you said) she was the least likely to join the group, I think it would make a little more sense for Littlefoot and Ducky to be singing as they were the first two to meet up. Also Ducky mentioned that she lost her family in the big earthshake, just like Littlefoot.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Very true.

This is a little embarassing; my ears can't pick out who singing  :p
I'll blame my headphones  :D

I often had this problem with the LBT 5 cast.  Littlefoot's voice was very iffy at this time, and he did indeed, sound very much like Cera.  

There is really no reason why Cera and Ducky couldn't sing together.  Their experiences weren't a lot different from Littlefoot's - all three of them lost their families for the time-being, and they all grew to become very good friends.

Cera was only the least likely to join the group because of her upbringing and her proud threehorn ways.  Over time, she learned that working together can accomplish so much in life.  By the end of the first movie, I saw the group, basically as equals.  No one was the "odd one out" or "less of a friend."  It was the gang of five.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I often had this problem with the LBT 5 cast. Littlefoot's voice was very iffy at this time, and he did indeed, sound very much like Cera.

Funny enough, LBT 5 was when Thomas Dekker first started playing the voice of Littlefoot. :lol:

The only reason I really questioned Cera is because her and Ducky never really had any moments when it was just them two. Ducky was the first one to join Littlefoot in his journey and just the two of them were traveling together until they "Accidently" met Petrie.

Cera was only the least likely to join the group because of her upbringing and her proud threehorn ways. Over time, she learned that working together can accomplish so much in life. By the end of the first movie, I saw the group, basically as equals. No one was the "odd one out" or "less of a friend." It was the gang of five.

True :yes

I really just found it odd to pair up Cera and Ducky, which is why Littlefoot and Ducky seemed to make more sense. Unless they just wanted the girls to be singing...

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I don't claim to be very good at recognizing voices myself. Aria mentioned that she and Thomas Dekker sung that sing along song version of "If we hold on together". I reckon she must know best. Unless her memory cheated her (I don't think so) it must have been Dekker (Littlefoot) singing there.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well that pretty much sums it up then  :lol:

Btw how do you get this information? :lol Did you read that somewhere or are you actually contacting the voice actors? :blink:

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It could be that they had Littlefoot join Ducky in the sing along tape, while Cera was the other voice on the cd version.

I am pretty sure it is Cera on the cd, after having listened to it over 300 times.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That's what I thought too, Stitch.  I'd be surprised though, if there were two renditions of this song out there.  I'm curious to hear the one on the Video, see how it compares.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Curious, Malte....since that sounds nothing like Dekker...it doesn't even sound like Dekker from LBT 5 when he was just getting used to the job.  Perhaps Stitch is on to something....there are different versions out there.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It could be that they had Littlefoot join Ducky in the sing along tape
If that's the case, then I'm gettin me a sing along tape :lol (Somehow :unsure:)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I only repeat what Aria mentioned and I must say I take it for very unlikely that they would make different versions for the video and for the CD version. I can ask Aria and Anndie McAffee about it though. What do the credits of the video say anyway? I don't remember, but wouldn't they list who sung which song?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I think the problem is nobody here has the sing along tape to check.  It usually does say who sings what....

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
You should try the 30-second preview on amazon.com of the cd for proof that the other voice is Cera.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've got the CD and I could have almost sworn it was Cera singing, but I also doubt there were two recordings made.

Can anyone check the credits on the video?
I'd check my CD, but I lent it to my friend Tobeysan, to rip it to his computer.

Correct me on this, Malte, but don't you have the video?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I do have the video, that's right. However, we don't have a properly working video recorder at the moment. It has pulled the tapes from another video cassette, so I won't entrust the recorder with the cassette. I hope to get by another one, but I shall also ask Aria and perhaps Anndie about this.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
No matter how many times I hear the newer "If We Hold On Together", I think it sounds exactly like a boy wth Aria. Listen. I understand why most everyone feels the way they do. But I understand from personal experience. When I was a young child, before I turned twelve and my voice started getting deeper, I loved to sing. I would sing with all the emotion and drama that I could, to make my voice sound "beautiful." Everyone enjoyed hearing me sing, but the way I sang and because of my high voice, everyone who heard me song would all agree that I sounded exactly like a girl. Considering girls are probably considered much better singers than boys (sigh) I took it as a compliment that I sounded like the most poular type of singer. Because of what I went through though, I believe I recognize the singing style and I'm almost positve it's a young boy, probably years before a teenager with a higher voice like mine was.
Can anyone check the credits on the video?
I've watched the credits a dozen times, twice just now to be sure, but Thomas Dekker does not appear on the credits, unless my cassette has one small scratch on the tape that conveniently destroyed the one piece of information I was looking for, or I might've overlooked the same thing a dozen times. So while the video can't prove it...
Aria mentioned that she and Thomas Dekker sung that sing along song version of "If we hold on together". I reckon she must know best. Unless her memory cheated her (I don't think so) it must have been Dekker (Littlefoot) singing there.
I believe that one of the singers can. As for a different sound...
It could be that they had Littlefoot join Ducky in the sing along tape, while Cera was the other voice on the cd version.

I am pretty sure it is Cera on the cd, after having listened to it over 300 times.
The CD's tone of voices is slightly different, I'll agree, probably because they didn't make the movie and cd at the same time, so the music had to be copied to the other, and that can mess with the sound. But other than tone, the "mystery" voice responds exactly the same. The voice's differential of high and low throughout the song is a perfect match, the force of the words is alike, timing of starting a line is left unaltered, and the harmony effect is unchanged. Not all players make music play exactly alike, but other than sound, the movie and CD act in agreement. Since I am not perfect, I can't always be right. I am actually wrong quite frequently- see the "What dinos would you have wanted to see?" topic for example- so everyone is welcome to disagree with me. Don't be shy becaue I provide evidence. Not everything in this world is absolute. I write what I believe, but when I do so, I will also listen to what othes believe with the same consideration I give my own thoughts. This is my best answer to the topic, but I welcome what anyone else can add here, disagreement or not.