The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Spend the money, buy the import...

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Have you done it?  If the copy easily available to you in your home country is inferior (or you see versions released in other countries offer a better product) would you go out and spend more for that copy?

I've done this three times before:

Watership Down 25th Anniversary Edition DVD (Australia-only release)
The Plague Dogs Uncut Edition DVD (Australia-only release)
Mew and the Wave-Guiding Hero, Rukario: Music Collection (must buy from Japan)

There are dvd copies of both WD and PD available in the US but they're bare bones or they've been edited by censors so to me, they are not worth their price and the ones that were being offered by Big Sky Video (for almost the exact same price) are far superior.  Extras galore, cleaner picture and sound, and you don't have to worry about US censors.  Granted, I did have to find a way to play Region 4 dvds but that's minor since there are many ways around that.  The score from the eighth Pokemon film I had found on a torrent but I convinced myself to get an official copy because I liked it so much and the quality of those files in the torrent were lousy.  Granted it took a month to get to me (Play Asia is a bit slow) but the increase in quality is very noticable and worth the wait.

So far, I've spent at least $80 on those three items, and its availability and shipping that generally affected the price.  They're worth their weight in gold to me and price did not phase me.

Anyone have similar stories where their home country version of a film or soundtrack just wasn't good enough?