The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Tablets

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Talk about your tablets here.  Me?  I love me.  I've had four of them but one is now functionally useless so I only have three that are still usable.

So here they are in the order that I got them.

1. Amazon Kindle Fire

I'm generally happy with my Kindle.  I got it as a birthday gift and I've been using it ever since.  

What I love about it:
*Streamlined interface.
*Very fast.
*Convenient for reading books on the go.
*Holds a charge reasonably well.

What I don't love about it:
*Pathetically small amount of internal storage space.  Only 8GB, about half of which is used by the OS.
*Lacks external storage capabilities.  No HDMI port, no micro SD slot, and no USB port.  The cloud can be used to store books and games once the memory runs out but they are inaccessible if you're not connected to the internet.
*No access to the Google store because Amazon and Google don't like each other.

ASUS Windows tablet.

My second tablet.  I got it because I needed a device with external storage capabilities.  Boy was it a mistake to go with a Windows tablet!

What I love about it:
*The size.
*The detachable keyboard was nice.

What I don't love about it:
*Pretty much everything else.

*I thought it would use a more streamlined version of Windows 8, but no!  It's literally the entire OS, complete with extremely slow booting time!

*Screen didn't rotate.

*Forced an update on me that deleted the driver for the touch screen.  Had to do a factory reset.  Touchscreen worked fine until the tablet forced me to update again, once again deleting the touch screen driver.  I contacted Micro$oft and they more or less flipped me the bird and gave me the runaround.    Did a third factory reset and once again, touch screen worked until the update was forcibly applied.  The tablet was effectively reduced to a mini laptop.

*Fell about three feet onto a carpeted floor (while in a protective padded case mind you) and the screen shattered.  I was told it would cost more to fix the screen than the tablet was worth so I just opted to buy another tablet.  In retrospect, dropping it on the floor was probably the best thing I ever did with this piece of crap tablet.  

*It lacks any sort of functionality outside of surfing the internet.  It's like Micro$oft has no idea why people actually buy tablets.  Here's a hint.  It's not just so we can have a mini PC that can't run any of the programs you could run on an actual computer.

My third tablet.

Nextbook 8" with Android.  Got it at Walmart on sale for about $50.  

What I love about it:
*Does everything my Kindle can do and more.
*No restricted access.
*Decent amount of internal storage.  (16GB)
*Has an HDMI port and a micro SD slot for external storage.
*Kindle app allows me to access my Kindle stuff on this tablet.

What I don't like about it:
*Is slightly slower than my Kindle, but tolerable.
*Takes forever to install certain apps.

Other than that it's a pretty good tablet.  Certainly better than the Windows one I bought earlier.

My forth and newest tablet is a Viking Pro 10" with Android.

What I love about it:
*Faster than the Nextbook and does all the same stuff.
*I love the detachable keyboard.
*32GB of internal storage, plus lots of options for external storage.

What I don't like about it:  Not much to say really.
*It's rather heavy with the keyboard attached.
*And rather fat also.  

One thing that annoys me about tablets that come with keyboards is that I never can seem to find a tablet case capable of holding both the tablet AND the keyboard.  It's almost as if the people who design these cases never once considered that maybe someone would like to carry the keyboard with them.

What I love about tablets in general is that they're more portable than a laptop but don't require an expensive service plan like a smartphone.