The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

DarkHououmon's Artwork

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
You never cease to surprise me DarkHououmon, although I should expect these types of drawings coming from you though. Poor camel, what a cruel twist of irony to be walking in a frozen tundra during a blizzard instead of cruising along in a desert. I really love the symbolism you represented as well, showing the camel’s back as a snowy mountaintop. It further emphasizes the clear struggle the camel is going through, as it can quite literally be compared to human hikers that trek up the mountains. It also seems that there’s a river that to cross as well, adding to the adversity that already plagues the camel. He’s also old and tired from the way you depicted him, possibly even experienced at this? But either way, a very dire situation to be in. Also, there’s something I would like to point out that’s probably not intended to be part of the picture, but a bit humorous in a way. There’s two snow flakes to the right of the camel with a small wind line under it, which makes it look kind of like a happy face, overall adding a mockery tone to the obvious peril that the latter is already facing. Just look at it side by side! But overall, this is probably one of my favorites from you so far, and I have no critiques to offer for this drawing. Great job! :)

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I love how the camel just has a 'yeah, whatever' sort of expression.

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
Yeah, seconded. The camel looks completely done with life. :P
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

Yeah, seconded. The camel looks completely done with life. :P

It’s almost as if this camel has experienced things similar or worse than this in his life.

DarkHououmon, does this camel have some kind of dark backstory or history? Or did you just randomly decided to draw a camel walking in a snowstorm for this specific prompt?

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
@ImpracticalDino It's a cryptid/mythological creature. Specifically, a hugag. I didn't get all the details right and wasn't able to fix it in time, but oh well. Here's the description of the hugag:

"The Hugag is a large horse-like creature found in Minnesota. The Hugag is described as a large horse-like creature with a very large upper lip which prevents it from grazing, floppy ears, jointless legs, a long tail, and shaggy fur coat covering it’s body except its head which is hairless. It loves to eat tree bark and at night since it can’t lay down due to it’s jointless legs it leans up against trees to fall asleep. People believe that the Hugag could be a surviving Paraceratherium which is a species of primitive horse that went extinct during the ice age."

If anyone's interested, I could start labeling what mythical creatures these are supposed to be.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/347184569688260610/633128021620162570/IMG_20191013_222455099.jpg - Dragon
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/347184569688260610/633128074640359447/IMG_20191013_222515871.jpg - Ash

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
@DarkHououmon: It will be much obliged, thank you. Specifying what creature you drew would prevent further confusion. :)

Alright, now onto the prompts!
The first one is a pretty interesting combo I’ve got to admit, as it looks like a hybrid of a dragon, a horse, and...an anglerfish? Nice job combining the elements, with the roughness of the scales, the beauty of its mane, and the intimidating look in its eyes, facial expression, and accurate anglerfish teeth. And as always, the shading is on point. Once again, I have no complaints with this piece, and I’m happy to see that you’re more recent drawings are lacking the flaws that were present in some of your previous works. Great job! :DD

I’m not even going to try and guess what these mythical creatures are, but wow. It’s pretty obvious to see who the predator and prey is in this situation. I like the scales and spikes on the creature above, and good job expressing the pain that the other creature is in with the salivating of the mouth and the panicked expression. I have to ask, what are those two long obsidian-like extensions sticking out of the prey’s body? Are those supposed to be attached to his body? This is a pretty dark and crazy interpretation, but possibly the creature above him probably created two wounds already where the dark life essence is slowly leaving his body. Wow, that would be insane. But enough speculation, and onto one small piece of criticism. The reptile like creature doesn’t really show any sort of emotion or facial expression, just flat and staring into us. Perhaps something more could’ve been done with it, such as one that shows maliciousness. With all that said though, I had a lot of fun guessing with this prompt DarkHououmon. :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 12:35:32 AM by ImpracticalDino »

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/370931237415813131/633491099607891978/IMG_20191014_222804192.jpg - Prompt 14: Overgrown

Here is a list of the creatures of previous entries. I will only be identifying the creature of focus for each piece.

Prompt 1 Ring: Stympalian Bird
Prompt 2 Mindless: Werewolf
Prompt 3 Bait: Pressie
Prompt 4 Freeze: Qiqirn
Prompt 5 Buid: Brownie
Prompt 6 Husky: Hainu
Prompt 7 Enchanted: Caladrius
Prompt 8 Frail: Serpopard
Prompt 9 Swing: Ramidreju
Prompt 10 Pattern: Flying Ray
Prompt 11 Snow: Hugag
Prompt 12 Dragon: Qilin
Prompt 13 Ash: Chupacabra
Prompt 14 Overgrown: Llamhigyn Y Dwr

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Of the previous several, "Overgrown" and "Legend" are my favourites. Both of them got a good chuckle out of me.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
No prompt today. Exhausted from trying to set up my new tablet.

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
Headless chicken.

Egg yolks!

This made me laugh. :P
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.