The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Disney’s Dinosaur (2000)

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I need to go back and rewatch this as I don’t exactly recall much of it. I want to say I rented it from the library or blockbuster back in the day. Is it sad? I have to be in certain moods to watch strong emotional movies about animals with powerful emotional music. Lol I’m a sucker for animal movies but I find it hard to watch a lot of them because I get too emotional about them  :thudLOL

Also it’s funny, Chomper, that you noted it being your first PG movie as I have this vague memory of feeling “adultish” watching it back then. Something in the movie made me feel like “oh my mom wouldn’t want me to see this” or “wow I’ve never seen/heard that before” feeling. I don’t remember what it was but I remember feeling that way at some point about it.

Its an emotional film to an extent. The Asteroid on Lemur Island is very intense, as is the loss of loved ones. The score, music, is very emotionally packed.   

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Daddytops2021

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I watched on my local suburb cinema back then
Raoul: (voiceover): What is this? A Triceratops? A grocery store with, and… He’s got hot dogs? Subways?

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I watched on my local suburb cinema back then

What did you think of it?

shaiger

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I think Disney's Dinosaur is underrated. It was a big deal when it came out - there were a lot of commercials, toys, merchandice, every kid (at least in my childhood) was obsessed with it - so it's kinda weird seeing how little fans the movie still has. It's a solid good movie but for some reason it didn't gather much of a following. Maybe it was the Avatar of its age? A big box office hit that everyone seemed to love when it came out but suddenly fell into obscurity once the next big movie hit the screens. Who knows...

I think the CGI and music still hold up very strong. For a movie that is two decades old, it looks incredible. It was a very wise move of them to use real locations. I mean, you can't make reality look more realistic now can you?  :Mo

It has a lot of memorable scenes, but my favorite is the Meteor hitting Earth. It's such a beautiful yet terrifying scene, and I love it how it's one of those "the audience knows but the characters don't" scenes that just keeps you at the edge of your seat. I've seen the movie hundreds of times and still, without fail, I always gasp when the meteor falls down from the sky. For us it's obvious that the giant flaming rock from outer space is dangerous and we want the main characters to run and find a safe place to hide, but to them it's a fascinating new thing and they don't know how to react until their lifes depend on it. Such good cinema. Mwah 💋👌

I've seen the movie in English once so I can only talk about the dialogue and voice acting in Finnish, and it's... Ehh, I've heard better. All the elderly dinosaurs (including Kron and Bruton) and the lemurs sound good but the main character and his love interest? You can hear that there was an attempt, but their scenes just seem so artificial and plastic-y, if that makes sense.
Also, I can't stand Zini. When I was a kid I kinda liked him, but he's just too obnoxious and annoying nowadays. I think that the movie loses absolutely nothing tonally or thematically if he's removed from the movie altogether. Dinosaur is a movie that doesn't necessarily need a comic relief character, and I feel that Zini adds absolutely nothing to the story except occasional bad jokes lol.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I think Disney's Dinosaur is underrated. It was a big deal when it came out - there were a lot of commercials, toys, merchandice, every kid (at least in my childhood) was obsessed with it - so it's kinda weird seeing how little fans the movie still has. It's a solid good movie but for some reason it didn't gather much of a following. Maybe it was the Avatar of its age? A big box office hit that everyone seemed to love when it came out but suddenly fell into obscurity once the next big movie hit the screens. Who knows...

I think the CGI and music still hold up very strong. For a movie that is two decades old, it looks incredible. It was a very wise move of them to use real locations. I mean, you can't make reality look more realistic now can you?  :Mo

It has a lot of memorable scenes, but my favorite is the Meteor hitting Earth. It's such a beautiful yet terrifying scene, and I love it how it's one of those "the audience knows but the characters don't" scenes that just keeps you at the edge of your seat. I've seen the movie hundreds of times and still, without fail, I always gasp when the meteor falls down from the sky. For us it's obvious that the giant flaming rock from outer space is dangerous and we want the main characters to run and find a safe place to hide, but to them it's a fascinating new thing and they don't know how to react until their lifes depend on it. Such good cinema. Mwah 💋👌

I've seen the movie in English once so I can only talk about the dialogue and voice acting in Finnish, and it's... Ehh, I've heard better. All the elderly dinosaurs (including Kron and Bruton) and the lemurs sound good but the main character and his love interest? You can hear that there was an attempt, but their scenes just seem so artificial and plastic-y, if that makes sense.
Also, I can't stand Zini. When I was a kid I kinda liked him, but he's just too obnoxious and annoying nowadays. I think that the movie loses absolutely nothing tonally or thematically if he's removed from the movie altogether. Dinosaur is a movie that doesn't necessarily need a comic relief character, and I feel that Zini adds absolutely nothing to the story except occasional bad jokes lol.

I agree with you that the Meteor scene is breathtaking. I get tingle sensations down my spine when I see it and the score plays ominous music.

I happen to be one of few of those Dinosaur (2000) fans, I sadly know no one else who loves it as much as I. I loved the characters, the music, the animation, and premise.

I can’t speak for the Finnish translation and actors, I have only watched it with English voices, and Aladar and Nera (his love interest) have great voices in English.

Dinosaur is actually tied with Jurassic Park for my favorite dino film. I may like it a little more than JP because its not about dinos chomping on people.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 06:14:04 PM by Gentle Sharptooth »

Daddytops2021

• Chomper
    • View Profile
me
Raoul: (voiceover): What is this? A Triceratops? A grocery store with, and… He’s got hot dogs? Subways?

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile