The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Anime Original Soundtracks

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's probably no big secret that I'm a fan of japanese anime but did you also know that I'm a huge fan of anime OSTs? Well, now you do, right?  :PAli

If you were to ask me what distinguishes anime soundtracks from those that accompany western media, I probably couldn't give you a clear answer. In the most literal sense, both are music, composed by more or less gifted composers, performed by more or less talented orchestras at more or less great sounding locations. Many OSts of western media have become quite iconic over the years, such as Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean or Lion King just to name a few. Same can be said about anime OSTs. There are both good and bad ones out there too. Yet I have a 1000+ songs anime ost playlist on youtube while western OSTs do not even have a playlist at all. Why is that? What makes anime music "special" to me? What makes it stand out? I am going to try finding an answer to that!

1. The biggest part play emotions. Some anime soundtracks have managed to evoke all kinds of emotions in me and they are often excellent at supporting whatever is going on in the anime at that point in the story, especially if said anime is just bloody sad  :opetrie

2. This might just be a matter of preference, a biased opinion or a subjective perception of mine (whatever you want to call it) but anime soundtracks just tend to sound really really cool, have great melodies, (combinations of) instruments and styles/genres and the better ones just have this small amount of "heart" in them that makes them stand out for me. Some vocal pieces are also really really beautiful and lyrics often have a very deep and profound meaning, whether in japanese, english or other languages.

I would like to invite those of you who are familiar with some anime soundtracks to discuss this matter and as for everybody else, I can only warmly invite you to give them a try whenever you need something new and fresh to listen to. You don't have to like anime to like its music in the same fashion that you don't need to like going outside when you like landscape painting as a form of art, yep yep yep  :^^spike

*_*

Now that we've come this far, I would like to share and discuss an anime soundtrack with you that I truly consider a masterpiece of music and art.

Made in Abyss is an anime that premiered in summer 2017. It is based on a manga series illustrated by the mangaka Akihito Tsukushi and has since gotten two recap movies and a third movie called "Dawn of the Deep Soul" which premiered in January 2020 as well as a short series of extra episodes.
The anime tells the tale of a young orphan, Riko, who grows up in the city of Oorth which sits at the edge of a giant abyss, a cavernous hole that extends deep down in many, mysterious layers that are home to dangerous animals, relics of an ancient civilization and a mysterious curse, the Curse of the Abyss. Like many, young Riko one day wants to become a great adventurer such as her mother Lyza and so, one day, she descends into the dangerous Abyss together with a mysterious amnesiac humanoid robot. Will this unlikely duo be able to face the countless dangers of the Abyss and will they uncover its mysteries or are they going to perish like so many before them? (click here (japanese with subtitles, less spoilers) or here (english dub, shows a few scenes from the anime you could consider spoilery but it also shows you what the series is like :) ) for trailers  :^^spike )

Before we get to the OST, I'd just like to explain real quick why this series is special to me ( @Flathead770 might be able to confirm, right?  :smile ). Aside from the gorgeous OST and animation, the combination of cutesy characters with a surprisingly dark and sometimes brutal adventure/survival/mystery story for the first time since my LBT rediscovery made me like something so much that I joined the fandom of it and this was also the moment anime turned from something I "just watch" into something I "grew to love and appreciate for what it is". That's why it's got to be this anime for the first soundtrack discussion  :exactly

The soundtrack was, quite ironically, composed by an australian composer, quite unlike the majority of anime composers who are largely japanese. Kevin Penkin is behind this masterpiece and since the release of the OST for the new movie, I am CERTAIN that this man will be one of the most successful composers in the industry very soon. Made in Abyss was his first anime-related project and, whether or not you like anime, I really hope that your playlists will be a little richer after I'm done with this  ;)Cera

Full OST of the anime if you prefer it in one piece
[youtube]https://youtu.be/aXFpZ8fBALc[/youtube]
Alternatively, here you can find a playlist with all individual tracks. Certainly, oftentimes only a certain portion of a soundtrack actually sounds appaling and "playlist-worthy" while the rest are rather contributing to tension and action while not necessarily being great sounding pieces of music  :yes

If you want to follow my discussion that commenses from here on, either use the timestamps on the large video (video description!) or use the playlist that I linked. I will strictly stick to the order of course! (also note that the soundtracks do not necessarily appear in this order in the anime)

DISK1:
1. Made in Abyss

I think this soundtrack perfectly introduces the mood of the entire anime. The start of a new adventure, a feeling of nostalgia and also the looming threat that the Abyss poses. Also, unless I'm very mistaken, most of the main instruments appear in this one. (piano, strings, flute, synthesizer). It certainly sounds nice and relaxing and is a really great piece of music.

2. Roar of the Abyss

I find it quite fascinating how creepy this one sounds. The heartbeat, the creepy synthesizer that basically screams "shit is about to happen" in combination with some cool and dramatic vocals. Imagine a dark place with something not friendly in the same room as you  :bestsharptooth Quite a cool track.

3. Beni Kucha Nawa

This is a monster chase theme and I think it sounds just right to be one. Hectic, loud, lots of tension, cool melody movements and sounding kind of alright despite being build on atonality (apparently). I rather like it!

4. Days in the Sun

Here's a more happy-go-lucky slice of life-esque track which is still not quite free of tension. Great melody and use of instrumentation.

5. Rafters

A surprisingly simple melody, isn't it? I can play this on piano without sheet music  :olittlefoot Sounds pretty cool, unconventional instrumentation, sounds fresh and unique! And if I recall correctly, this plays during a bit of a sneaking around scene.

6. Treehouse

Suddenly... ambient music!  :rhett_shocked Man I do love these a lot (there will be more of this kind in a bit). Sounds so frigging cool, kinda huuuuuge and eerie just like the abyss (or space). This style of soundtrack is pretty revolutionary, or at least I haven't heard anything quite like it in any anime soundtrack I've encountered so far.

7. New World

Don't ask me why Penkin used some frigging church bells here but they do sound cool and kinda scary :lol I really love this track, kinda atmospheric like Treehouse but it has a beautiful melody. Has a bit of a foreboding quality to it, doesn't it? And it kind of reeks of departure as well, there's some finality in the music I think.

8. To The Abyss!

This one gives off a strong adventure vibe, sounds just like a traveler traversing vast, beautiful and mysterious landscapes. Beautiful composition! :)

9. Underground River

Let me tell you, guys. I heard this play after the first couple minutes of intro into the anime and I KNEW it would be amazing. I wasn't wrong!  :bestsharptooth Let me also tell you, this song just woke really strong feelings in me because it is so marvelous. Perhaps this should have been the opening for the entire anime and not just for episode 1? Anyway, about this track. Yeah, I already said it: Marvelous, mysterious, pure pleasure to listen to (finding myself repeating this one a few more times than most of the others lol). It starts out small and kind of ominous with very gentle strings and slowly increases in volume and komplexity. Brass instruments kick in and it starts sounding really really breathtaking.

oh, and english lyrics, no need to look up what's being sung! The vocalist is a great choice!

10. Maul

Percussion + Marimba-like instrument + ear-raping synthesizer. Pretty much :P Sounds wild and dangerous, perhaps not the most beautiful track out there but for its purpose I think this is a great composition!

11. Walking the Streets

I don't really have much to say about this one. It's quite alright and has interesting melody and instrumentation for sure!  Not really sure what feeling it is supposed to get across but I think there's at least some uneasy feeling in the air...

12. Remembering Home

Oh this totally sounds like homesickness. Remembering home, remembering all the people who used to be around you, all the memories you made... and knowing perfectly well that you can never ever return. This is exactly what the music is saying and should be saying. Splendid composition. Calm, carrying some sadness with every note. But this is very tame on the "sad anime ost"-scale  :lol

13. Those Everyday Feels

Pure Marimba(?) awesomeness. This feels so playful!:)littlefoot

14. 2 Months

Sounds very similar to "Days in the Sun" and I think my review of it is roughly the same. It's cool, I like it  :^^spike

15. Reg Wakes

In case you're wondering, Reg is the name the robot boy is given. This pretty much plays when he's being waken up :bestsharptooth
Not the most great sounding ost but it has some cool vibes imho  :^^spike

16. Reg's Theme

Can I just say that Reg's theme is amazing and leave it at that?  :lol Seriously, that Oboe + Flute (Correct me if I'm wrong) combination with this wonderful melody simply sounds amazing!

17. Gallantry and Recapilation

Too bad this didn't play during the anime, it's such a cool track. Sounds a bit like being in the middle of a chase/fight with a quick-witted decision deciding between success or doom. Those strings, hah they're so cooool  :)petrie

18. Riko's theme

If you've seen Made in Abyss, you will probably agree that this soundtrack pretty much fits Riko down to the last nuance. A wonderful composition that masterfully underlines her child-like excitement, curiosity and her determination! It just screams "Riko" at you  :lol Kinda like that one melody in the original LBT OST that just so Ducky that it's her theme imho :P

19. Swings and Roundabouts

As I listen to these strings with all my attention, I realize that this track is brutally underrated  :opetrie Part of my brain is asking me to loop this for an hour right now, not kidding. So magical  :o

20. Tasukete

Translates to "help!" And yeah, help this is shockingly unmelodic after track 19  :sducky :lol Just one of those badass tracks where shit is happening in the anime haha

21. Air

Ambient sounds FTW!!!  :duckyhappy :duckyhappy :duckyhappy Yeah this just sounds cool. Told you there'd be more like this, didn't I?

22. Welcome To My World

Another one of this super marvelous type of OST that you just WANT to listen to again... and again... and again...  :Mo
Flute + Piano = perfection and this indeed sounds very inviting, as if saying "come visit the Abyss, we got lots of cool stuff!" It's more like Hagrid advertising any magical Creature in Care for Phantastical Animals though  :longneckBRUH

23. Hanezeve Caradhina

Fasten your seat-belts, turn off your electrical devises and lean back. Enjoy the ride!

By all means, drop whatever you're doing when this starts playing. Let the music engulf you, allow the currents of harmonies to carry you with it. I can't put in words how great this song is and I can't really describe how it makes me feel. Just... goddamn great!  :)littlefoot

Now my mind was blown earlier when a YouTube comment on 16. Reg's Theme pointed out that it's pretty much the same base for both tracks. No wonder Reg's theme sounds so great lol :lol

24. Depths of the Abyss

I've been debating for a while now whether this one is supposed to sound looming or just sad? It clearly has a theme of loss in it I believe...

oh the comments on the track explain it, sweet. Is a spoiler though, even for me  :opetrie

25. Forest of the Abyss

Ah, here we have a bit of an overlap between the atmospheric sounds and actual... melody? Either way, I can totally imagine a huuuuge scary forest in the middle of a giant scary hole now so it scores  ;)Cera

Disk 1 done :)

DISK2
1. Butterfly Atmospheres

Sounds a bit like a foggy morning to me. Slightly eerie as you don't really see what's in front of you but at the same time kind of beautiful as everything is engulfed in fog. That's just the picture I'm having at the moment though as I listen to this. I think it's a pretty decent track, rather average in comparison to the rest but still quite likable  :^^spike

2. The First Layer

Ah, a theme that reappears a few times in the anime afaik. Very nice to listen to :^^spike

3. Abyss of the Sea

Ah another cool sounding, kinda foreboding atmospheric track. Really feels like a dark, spooky lake somewhere deep down in some cavern  :)petrie

4. Orth Waltz

This one definitely stands out from the rest in some way. Very variable and unpredictable melody movements that are very harmonic despite the frequent harmony shifts and piano is always a win in my book too  :chompysmile
Either way, it kind of represents some kind of innocence that is still present at the beginning of the story before things turn a little dark :P

5. Jungle Run

This one is super wild and funky, I love it!  :lol

6. Crucifixion

Uhm, well...  :rhett_ohsnap I won't blame you if you end up NOT liking this one, it's hard to call this music but, as an OST in same fucked up dark scene, I think it kinda does its job lol.

7. Serphant Call

Monster theme, I think the music tells quite clearly as it's hectic and loud  :lol Pretty cool melody movements again, Penkin keeps surprising me with these.

8. Outside

Gentle and calm with a hint of sadness between those notes. Great composition!

9. Forces Beyond Control

Got goosebumps yet? This track is absolutely BRILLIANT! It's like... screaming "OH SHIT" right in your face, like the big boss is finally coming on stage. The music captures this moment of horror and panic so brilliantly! :duckyhappy

10. Nanachi in the Dark

Sounds sp-sp-spooooooky  :opetrie Has a pretty nice ring to it I think  :^^spike

11. Underground River

Dunno why this is here again, it's certainly a minute longer  :thinking

12. Walking the Tightrope

I think this one indeed sounds a bit like being in a tough spot during an adventure, trying to find a way to get past whatever obstacle is in your way. Pretty good song I'd say

13. Relinquish

Afaik a monster theme and a damn good one too! With a slice of reg's theme towards the end!

14. Tour the Abyss

Sometimes, the most simple melodies are also the best. I didn't think such a creepy soundtrack could also sound so damn cool. Gotta love the harmonies and the use of instruments here. This is also inofficially a character theme and the theme for the Curse of the Abyss! Either way, you know dark stuff is about to happen when this starts playing  :)petrie

15. Adventure Through The Light

A lovely adventuring tune, I think there's hardly anything else I could say about it. Good stuff  :exactly

16. Classroom

I keep saying this a lot but I simple love the unpredictable and exotic melodies Penkin uses for his soundtracks. I can't really remember when this plays in the anime or what purpose this song has but the funky melody really makes me like it quite a bit :)

17. Reg's Power

Ah, this one is pretty interesting as it's a variation of Reg's theme, a little darker at first as he's a robot with a pretty powerful weapon, however he's still in innocent child which the second part of the track underlines. Great composition!

18. In the Blind

That violin is so hauntingly beautiful lol. Especially the 2nd part of the track. I think it captures the feeling of being in terra incognita quite well.

19. The Pit

Yeah, that one is pretty self-explanatory :P Sounds just like a giant hole  :bestsharptooth

20. Discover the Abyss

Great use of vocals to create tension and underline that while the Abyss is waiting to be discovered, it is also a dangerous place (kinda like the Mysterious Beyond in LBT  :)petrie )

21. Vista

This one sounds as if it's building up to some sort of climax. Kind of interesting for sure :)

22. Mirage

I dunno, it takes a bit to like this one but I think this one is rather cool with its deep bass piano play. Very mysterious for sure  :)petrie

23. Indoor voices

Doesn't sound particularly great but it works great in the scene it appears in (sneaking around in the orphanage at night :P)

24. Nanachi in the Light

I think this OST tries to show the beautiful and mysterious (non-dangerous) sides of the Abyss. Either way, it's a beautiful composition :)

25. Sabertooth

On first thought, this sounds kind of dissonant and ugly (it's a monster/fight theme after all) but give it some time. It's actually pretty epic, especially towards the end. That crying violin, the hammering piano. Pretty awesome, yup yup yup!

26. Pathway

This one is a lot sadder if you've seen the anime  :boohoo Absolutely wonderful soundtrack that plays during a really really sad scene  :cry

27. Tomorrow (watch here for full version if you're using the playlist as it cuts off that song for whatever reason  :rolleye )

Tomorrow, the epic finale to the anime. This plays over a compilation of scenes at the end without any dialogue. Just the music and the pictures speaking. Penkin outdid himself with this track, it's the perfect way to wrap up this wonderful series.  :wub

*~*

What an amazing soundtrack, I hope that maybe the odd person making it through this wall of text and music will end up feeling a little richer after learning that music like this exists  :exactly

Last but not least, here are the opening, ending and a special character song that isn't in the anime but it's super duper beautiful!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGumvUuELPo[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3di8ZMbQ29o[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy4tNYFBsFs[/youtube]

PS: A follow up post about the OST for the Made in Abyss sequel movie "Dawn of the Deep Soul" is under construction. If you think this was great already, then get hyped  :bestsharptooth
Inactive, probably forever.