The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Useless Sharptooth Showcase - September 2020

rhombus · 32 · 6522

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
Since animators cut one of five fingers of cartoon characters in various cartoons, I don't mind if some sharteeth, on the contrary, have extra one. :D
Haha! Good point! :SharptoothAmused There was actually a newspaper comic strip I saw recently that showed one of the (four-fingered) characters in the checkout line of the grocery store, and a headline on a tabloid magazine in the background said "THIS MAN HAS FIVE FINGERS!" :lol I thought that was a pretty clever detail to throw in there.

The Featherhead sharpteeth last year were revealed to be Allosaurus by one of the storyboard artists on JOTB Llyn Hunter. That's why I put in quote on quote because they look nothing like Allosaurus. The head shape is completely wrong. I mean this guy's head shape was also wrong but the ones in XIV are more wrong. Why didn't they make them Yutyrannus which is what people originally thought they were. Also while the feathers are nice Allosaurus most likely didn't have feathers as far as I am concerned. I would normally be great with inaccurate dinosaur desings in LBT but this is just too much. Okay tangent over.
They WERE?? :rhett_ohno Oh geez, I had no idea! Agreed with you, that really is terrible! As if the inaccuracy doesn't make it bad enough, why wouldn't they take the opportunity to introduce a new sharptooth species?

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
Actually thinking about it feathered fast biters would have been a way better choice though I doubt they would have given them the accurate amount of feathers. Why are people at Universal refusing to create feathered dromeasaurs. I don't mind scaly Raptors, unless it's a documentary, but people have been requesting them to do feathered raptors for ages and they still haven't.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 05:33:42 PM by LittleDas75 »

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
It's a wonder this sharptooth managed to reach adulthood.

That begs the question how did he actually manage to reach adulthood. I reckon it wouldn't have been an easy upbringing for either him or his parents (the reason I'm using the male pronoun here is to simplify the matter).

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

I imagine he was more of a scavenger than a hunter.  When he did hunt, it was "easier prey".  That's the ONLY way I can imagine him surviving.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Did Jack Horner create this?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 03:01:13 PM by LittleDas75 »

Hammy

• Chomper
    • View Profile

I imagine he was more of a scavenger than a hunter.  When he did hunt, it was "easier prey".  That's the ONLY way I can imagine him surviving.
Good job, Grandpa and Doc, you picked on nature's garbage disposal.

I kid, partially, but man this idea does nothing for the movie's stakes.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Well this particular showcase has gotten a lot of attention already, hasn't it? xD

After the sympathetic portrayal that Chomper's parents offered, I liked the idea of returning to a more overt sharptooth menace akin to the first movie, which I think is what the filmmakers were going for. Especially because the Plated Sharptooth from LBT V showed that they could still make sharpteeth genuinely menacing. But alas, the fifth movie seemed to be the last one to really get sharpteeth right.

Do you think the useless sharptooth from LBT VI is the ultimate representation of futility in the series, or should another predator/antagonist take that title?

Mm... no, I don't think the sharptooth in LBT VI is the ultimate representation of futility. Or at least, I don't think it's the fault of #6 specifically. #8, #11, and #13 all had more jarring examples of incompetent sharpteeth than #6, imo. #6 may have been the film where it started, but I largely view it as more of a series-wide problem than a Secret of Saurus Rock problem. Even despite us getting a pretty ridiculous scene where Littlefoot goes inside the sharptooth's mouth, then it wakes up and stands up with Littlefoot still inside, and he still somehow manages to escape. :oops :p

Still, with some fairly simple tweaking and rewriting, we could've had another solid sharptooth antagonist here. Especially if they'd stuck closer to the original script which had four sharptooth villains and a more intense climax. Overall I think Saurus Rock is kinda underrated, but still, that would have improved the film a lot.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 09:03:28 PM by StardustSoldier »

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
What a popular topic. :cerasmug

I guess what makes this particular sharptooth jarring is as Stardust said, we just had the Plated Sharptooth in V, so it does seem like a stark contrast. Besides, the dentist Littlefoot memes and him still being unable to get him is... probably telling enough for him to be mocked.
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I forgot to post here earlier, haha. Man I'm not sure why they decided to take away everything that was terrifying about the sharptooth from the first movie and just made them into non-threats in the sequels. This guy takes the cake in my opinion. He tries and tries, but does he really? ;)

I included in him my latest fanart too, here for reference:

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Do you think the useless sharptooth from LBT VI is the ultimate representation of futility in the series, or should another predator/antagonist take that title?

I think when a juvenile longneck climbs into your mouth to sleep and you don’t swallow you are the stupideat sharptooth. I mean prey literally climbed into your mouth!

As for a symbol of futility, it certainly is the futility of sharpteeth. No matter what the Gang of Seven will have plot armor.

Despite this I liked the Useless Sharptooth’s orange coloring and design.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith