The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Thomas and Friends All Engines Go >:(

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
Since it's been released early in Latin America are there any other Thomas fans on this forum that are ready to tear this thing apart?

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
This is why Thomas never should’ve been sold to Mattel.  They give it 2D animation and partially ruins the original formula.  I’m disappointed at Mattel at this point.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
This is why Thomas never should’ve been sold to Mattel.  They give it 2D animation and partially ruins the original formula.  I’m disappointed at Mattel at this point.
Same. I honestly hate Mattel more than Disney at this point.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 07:29:02 PM by LittleDas75 »

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I grew up a big Thomas fan. My favs were James (5) and Edward (2).

I must admit I preferred the stop motion original films over the CG incarnation.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
I used to be a big T&F fan too. Got turned off by the BWBA stuff, especially when they shafted Edward and Henry from Tidmouth Sheds lol. When I saw the reboot screenshot, I could just imagine the explosion on TTTE Twitter, and I wasn't disappointed (that fandom is well known for drama anyway but this was especially popcorn-worthy). I'll always prefer the older model stuff but some of the CGI stuff was good too (the Brenner era I think was pretty decent), it's just a shame about Mattel's interference.

So I just decided to watch the trailer and... uh, yeah, yikes. That's one way to completely alienate the (rather sizeable) older fanbase. I have several questions.

Dare I say it? Disgraceful! Disgusting! Despicable! :p

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Mouse-a-saur

• A Winchesterian Paradox
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
I've never been a huge T&F fan but it is interesting to me and I used to play a PC game as a kid that was Thomas themed. It's a shame what they've done to a franchise so iconic.  :RubyAngry

~*And I'm something called a Jared Padalecki*~

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I've never been a huge T&F fan but it is interesting to me and I used to play a PC game as a kid that was Thomas themed. It's a shame what they've done to a franchise so iconic.  :RubyAngry

What was the game like?

Mouse-a-saur

• A Winchesterian Paradox
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile

What was the game like?
I think it had you fixing up the engines and the track?  :rainbowThinking

~*And I'm something called a Jared Padalecki*~

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

What was the game like?
I think it had you fixing up the engines and the track?  :rainbowThinking

That sounds fun. Too bad they didn’t theb let you race the train to accomplish some kind of objective.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile

Can you catch me up on what went wrong with Thomas? Never personally seen it myself.

And Mattel sound similar lol.

They should've stuck to their own guns after butchering Thomas according to you guys. :P

(Yes that was intentional pun, they made realistic toy guns in the 50s for children!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMqd5EQXD-g

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile

Can you catch me up on what went wrong with Thomas? Never personally seen it myself.

Ok, so back then in the 80s, this series was made by a person named Britt Allcroft, which in the 2000s, would be purchased by HIT Entertainment due to the original creator going bankrupt after the failure of the Thomas movie.

Now things went smoothly with HIT owning Thomas, but it all changed when HIT decided to add CGI to the series, and the OG fans (which includes me) dislike this change.

Now don’t worry, it was still part live-action, part CGI, which I was fine with, but then they made the entire show CGI and got rid of the live-action elements, and all of the fictional people got voice actors (they were originally voiced by a narrator in third-person story form).

And then Mattel purchased HIT in 2011, and obviously things went smooth at first, although by 2016, Mattel folded HIT into they’re own company, and now Mattel fully owns Thomas.

Now, the series was still CGI at this point, but then the OG fans of the series, including the internet, went crazy when the series ditched CGI, and went to 2D animation.

Now I haven’t seen what it sounds like yet, but from what I could tell, everyone was mad at Mattel for this change.  No narrator, just voice actors and goofy jokes that are very childish.  That’s all I heard so far.

I hope that wasn’t too complicated, but I just wanted to tell you the major events that led up to this point.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
^ Gonna continue on from this since I watched a lot of the CGI era bloom.

The CGI stuff was pretty bad mostly because of the poor writing (head writer at the time was Sharon Miller so this is referred to as the Miller era). They had this rhyming thing going on, characters were over-simplified and reduced to one defining trait, etc. A few years later, around the time Mattel took over T&F, Andrew Brenner became the head writer for the show. Brenner understood the source material that was the Railway Series books written by the Rev. Awdry and also engaged with older fans to see what they wanted from the show. This resulted in the series taking a slightly more mature approach that also appealed to older fans as well as kids, actually showed a more realistic running of a railway, linked back to the RWS, and brought in interesting new characters as well as bringing back old fan favourites from the RWS and model eras.

It was clear that Mattel, especially later on, made the writers and animators plug in some really weird ideas because they wanted to market new toys. A lot of these ideas were put into flashbacks or fantasy scenes because they didn't fit the element of realism that T&F had. It got more obvious towards the end of the Brenner Era.

Then... Mattel decided to revamp the show again because the franchise was starting to lose money, more because their marketing sucked but they placed the blame on the show. Big World, Big Adventures happened. Brenner left the show and it was remade into a series that was half based in Sodor, half based on Thomas visiting different countries. They also wanted to bring in more gender equality, and so they pretty much wrote Edward and Henry to move out of Tidmouth Sheds and pretty much out of the show in general. Keeping in mind, Edward and Henry are two of the original three characters that appeared in the very first RWS book (the other being Gordon). Fans, understandably, didn't like this and saw it as disrespectful to the source material, especially as the female characters they were replaced with were so dull. One was a bright orange engine called Nia whose whole personality was, "I'm from Kenya," and the other was a bright yellow express engine called Rebecca who also didn't have a lot to her. It's not like they needed to do this; the series has plenty of different and complex female characters who could easily be written into lead roles for a few episodes. The going around the world stuff didn't work either because most interpretations of those countries were so stereotypical they were borderline racist.

Meanwhile Mattel continued to lose money. So the logical thing to do, of course, was the make T&F into every other generic pre-schooler show. Hence, All Engines Go. It is so far removed from the original source material that I do sympathise with the fans, both young and old. This isn't Thomas. The media has now run a story saying how much of a disgrace it is, parents are commenting on their social media saying their kids hate it, and the fandom on Twitter is still pretty outraged. Nobody likes this.

I think what drew so many people to the original show was, despite being a world where the railway engines talk, it still gave kids a pretty realistic introduction to how the railways worked. A lot of the accidents were based on real life events. Pretty much all of the engines are based on actual locomotives and the Reverend made a complex history for them that tied into actual UK railway history. The characters all had different and interesting personalities. The model series also had a darkness to it about the events of the 60's when steam engines were scrapped en masse and whilst Sodor didn't seem to be moving with the times, if you didn't keep the fat controller happy, you could also face the smelter's yard. T&F also has a good relationship with heritage railways here in the UK, and I'd say it has helped bring in the younger generation to help keep the railway preservation efforts alive. This show really was something special, so I'm not surprised at how furious some people are with the reboot. It's pretty sad, really.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 02:10:40 PM by somerandomfangirl »

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Thanks for the history lesson on Thomas, guys! I have a much better understanding of why the fans then are so outraged at the current state of the show. I would be mad too if I was a fan!
It's sad how common the trend is though for an original show to be completely eviscerated as time goes on. :(

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...