The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Exams

Petrie · 30 · 4728

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Yeah I got them....four in three days, so I'll catch you on the flipside. :P: (How's that for teen lingo? :lol:)

See you Thursday at the earliest.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you; and I'm looking forward to when you are done with the exams :)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'Ve got one exam oand that's tommorow. It is on Baseball, no less. :P:
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22,May 17 2005 on  08:48 AM
I'Ve got one exam oand that's tommorow. It is on Baseball, no less. :P:
:lol:  :lol:

What kind of classes do you take to become a history professor over there? :P:

*lurk...bad headache and can't do much else than stare at screens... :(*)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
BaSeball in American history" is the name of the class and it deals witrh how baseball has echoed the changes in America throughout the last century.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Did they mention Abner Doubleday in that class?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, But his claim to have been the father of baseball has been proven to be completely mythical. We also Mentioned Alexander Cartwright(who has a legitimate claim to be a founder of baseball), the reserve clause, The Black Sox Scandal, Babe Ruth, The Great depresion , and Jackie Robinson.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
This really interests me, as I have read both, Dubleday being the founder of baseball and him not being the founder of baseball. But I never heard about any details. So did he play any role in making baseball popular or is there really no basis at all for the myth?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There is really no basis at for the myth. Surely if he'd been the founder of bsseball, he would have mentioned it somewhere along the line, but there is no mention in Doubleday's memoirs about baseball  at all, or any other similar sport.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Weird that such myths come into existance if he didn't even have anything to do with baseball at all. Is there by the way a year or so which is sort of the "official" date for the invention of baseball?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
1839. The Baseball hall of Fame, opened in 1939 on the 'centennial' of the baseball's 'discovery'.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I don't care for baseball....I actually tried playing it when I was younger, but my hand to eye coordination is terrible so it didn't work out. :P:

Oh yes, EXAMS ARE DONE!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Then I got a message from my mom that one of my summer classes was cancelled, and with nothing else to replace it and my fall schedule all set, I'll need an extra semester to complete my degree.  :slap   Maybe this is a blessing in disguise......  :unsure:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm not interested in baseball either (I don't even know the rules). But I am interested in history, so I'm also interested in the history of baseball  :lol

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I"Ve Played baseball whenn I was younger and I Was(and remain) a stat geek. (I Once comiled the caeer win-loss record of the yankees :lol: ) And I remain a big fan.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I know Baseball is massive sport in the States but we tend to play Rounders in school as a "bat-sport". I've played Baseball, not too bad at it but don't understand all the terminologies of the game.

Anyway, in terms of exams, I'm looking forward to my exam. Got just the one (next Thursday). Computer based, 50mins, multiple choice! The subject is one vector graphics but it's all easy stuff! And it doesnt even matter if I fail, my artefact I produced has a high enough grade to pass the unit excluding the exam.

Have to say that's the first time I havent been concerned about an exam LOL  :lol

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Ick....multiple choice....I do terrible with those questions.  -_-  I don't plan on ever giving my students huge sections of multiple choice questions.

Best of luck on it. :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I find multiple choice easier than writing answers. Either you know your stuff or you don't. But written answers sure also help to improve a student's skills in expressing his or her thoughts.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Bleah! Well, did my exam today and boy did I blow it sky-high!  :( SVGs, vector graphic translations and formulae...a real nightmare! Got 51% on my exam today but I'm not worried a bit! I passed my unit with my artefact anyway so all it can do is bump my mark UP! And with that...I've officially finished my 2nd year at uni! WOOHOO!!!  :^.^:  :DD

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That's why I hate multiple choice, Malte, because you're memorizing facts to spit back out...you don't give any impression on what it means to you or if you can explain the situation in more detail.

Littlefoot, I remember asking another Brit about the grading system over there for uni's and 51 isn't bad (over here that's very bad! :p)  so I wouldn't worry.  Now it's onto your third year!  :lol:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
But usually multiple choice questions are not asking for opinions that can vary in in any way, but for proveable facts, such as dates, names, numbers, or the choices given are so plain that it is not a big deal to give the right answer.