The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Flash Drives

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I've read certain brands are better then others as far as flash drives are concerned.

Yeah, I've heard that too, but according to what I have read, most of the advantages of buying the better brand are trivial such as harder plastic and they look better.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I heard they are less prone to the data being corrupt or other things happening.  Though I'm no expert and have not done a test myself.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah, I've heard that too, but according to what I have read, most of the advantages of buying the better brand are trivial such as harder plastic and they look better.
I'm not completely sure on different brands, myself.  Flash Drives are getting cheaper now, to the point where buying "cheap" brands doesn't save you much money.  If you're going to buy a flash drive, just get a decent brand for the few extra dollars. :P:

I don't really have a use for a flash drive, myself.  I use my laptop and my Mp3 player as flash drives. :p

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Hmm, I don't know if you missed it in my other post, or if you just didn't read that far back, or forgot, or whatever.  So, I'll ask again, no worries: landbeforetimelover, could you please post a link to that freeware write-protecting program that you use(d) for your flash drive(s)?  Maybe other people here would find it useful too, and I know for certain that I would.  (And yet, now, because of currently being at my aunt's house, I won't be able to use it...  I'll be sure to download it when I get back home!)
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'm thinking about getting 4GB of flash memory for £10. Good idea?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm thinking about getting 4GB of flash memory for £10. Good idea?

I'd love to tell ya, but I have no clue what kind of money system you're using.  Right now, the cheapest you can get a 4 gig flash drive is 35 US dollars.  I have no clue what that symbol you're using means.  Perhaps you could use a money converter.

@NN2001, I don't remember the name exactly.  It was a while ago (just so you know, I put it on a 256mb flash drive that I paid $80 for, so it was a looooooong time ago :p ).  It was like bitlocker or bit protector or.......bit something......

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I don't know the British monetary system, but at the rough conversion rate to us money it seems about the average price for 4g in the us at Newegg.  I've heard Kingston is a good brand.  Some have said good stuff about A-data.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Kingston was the brand of flash drive which randomly disconnected all the time from our computers. :p  Only Lexars have been flawless for me.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey, I think I saw something about a Microsoft XP flashdrive coming out :unsure:.  It's supposedly under thirty bucks.  Has anyone gotten one yet, and is it any good?

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
*In response to landbeforetimelover's post*
Hmm, well, after doing some basic research the other day, I found that BitLocker isn't it; that's something that's included with Windows Vista - which I will most likely never use, and would not migrate to, were it not for DirectX 10; but soon, even that won't be exclusive to Vista...  ...Well, I guess finding that program is the key, landbeforetimelover, since we don't have a name yet.  I'm certain you'll come across it eventually.  No, pressure, bro!  No pressure at all...
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Microsoft products are such a joke.  HP products far surpass them.  Just take a look at this lame keyboard:

It's keys are freaking curved! :blink: God, that makes is so uncomfortable to type on!  When I got this, I immediately went and exchanged it for a logitech keyboard.

Kingston products are crap.  I remember that. <_< Cheap garbage.  Everything Kingston I ever bought sucked.  Even the USB extension cable failed after like a week. :p

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Ten British pounds comes out at just under twenty United States Dollars.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hmm, I've heard that their RAM is good...  I don't know if you've ever had experience with that...?  I was thinking of upgrading my RAM on my better machine to a gig of that...  Then using my other RAM to upgrade my web machine; now THAT will be nice!  ...But, if you don't even recommend their RAM, then what RAM do you recommend, landbeforetimelover?  (Maybe certain products work better with certain computers...  That seems to be the "trend," so to speak.)

Dude!  On my aunt's computer, I'm typing on this almost EXACT keyboard, except that the keys aren't curved!  Man, that's weird!

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Kingsington ram is the only type I usually buy, and I've had no problems so far, though that may not mean much.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
No, it does mean something.  You've had good experiences with the RAM, so there's a chance that I might, too.  If landbeforetimelover has had bad experiences with the RAM, then I can still weigh the risks and benefits.  I'll just have to see...  I just hope it works okay with a Compaq.  (Two of my machines are actually Compaq Presarios.  I know there's better machines out there, but for getting them for free, they're not that bad, even if they're not exactly top of the line.)  I can upgrade that machine for a while, which would probably be the only way to go, since I can't seem to stay afloat of the computer industry.  It just moves too fast...

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've used Kingston RAM in all of my computers up to my most recent one (which uses Patriot, not Kingston).  I have never had any issues with Kingston nor Patriot RAM.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Okay, that makes two! :D I'm gonna go check out TigerDirect really quick...  That's where I go for all my computing needs, if ever I have the money...  Can't wait for Blu-ray to drop in price...  Yeah, I know I've already said it...  Sorry. :lol:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's pretty hard to screw up ram.  Just like if you go to a restaurant and you wanna order something safe, you order pan cakes.  I would recommend getting the cheapest possible ram, regardless of the brand.  You'll just have to replace it in a couple months anyways. :p However, if you're just out for ram, go here.  This is the absolute cheapest place on the internet to get ram and it's the easiest way to purchase it.  Be sure to place the order over the phone though so you can get shipping insurance.  They don't have that option on their site for some reason. :blink:

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hmm...  Can't do it if they need a credit card.  I don't have one, and I don't plan on getting one, for various reasons.  ...I haven't heard anything bad about Crucial, though...

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Crucial is only really well known to computer guru's and such.  They'll never talk about it in a computer store because they can save you around 40% off retail computer store prices.  For instance, I was upgrading an old Gateway solo 2550 laptop to 256mb and the chip would have cost $196 at best buy.  Crucial.com gave it to me for only $42.  Here's a pic of that Laptop BTW :lol :

Freaking 5 inch thick piece of garbage now, but it was once my best laptop a looooong time ago.  I had that thing totally decked out at 500mhz, 256mb of ram, and a HUGE 20gb hard disk.  Not big now, but it was a master machine back in 1997. :p