The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What are you watching?

Amaranthine · 1786 · 125268

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
VICE on HBO: Episode 10 - The Hermit Kingdom

I have always enjoyed the gonzo journalism that is provided by Vice News.  In this episode we get to see what happens when Dennis Rodman and the Harlem Globetrotters go to North Korea as part of a cultural exchange.  The obvious theatrics in this trip (a fully-stocked supermarket that is obviously for show, no interruption of electricity in the capital, and many others) are in keeping with the staged events in the previous Vice Guide documentaries on North Korea.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Live Action 101 Dalmations
Man, I haven't watched this since I was little.

Glenn Close's performance as Cruella de Ville is absolutely fantastic. Especially in the parts where she has to SCREAM HER LINES. She does an excellent job playing a psychopath who seriously needs some counseling. Also a psychopath who doesn't think her puppy skin coat heists through very well.

I mean...she steals eight litters of puppies, one of whom was raised by one of her own employees who inspired her puppy skin coat obsession in the first place, probably one right after the other, while police were already on the search for someone who had killed and skinned a tiger IN THE LONDON ZOO AND LEFT ITS CARCASS IN ITS ENCLOSURE...you'd think she'd be aware that police would start getting suspicious that all nine events were made by the same person. But that's just probably part of whatever psychological issue she has. That's one of the biggest things that went over my head as a kid...the thing with the tiger. I was aware of the coat...but not the story behind it. "Officials found the tiger's evisected body in its enclosure" HOLY LITTER SCOOPER, WOMAN!!!

The biggest thing I didn't care much for was the Home Alone antics...at least they were very brief. Horace and Jasper weren't quite as fun as in the cartoon...except that their actors would one day play Mr. Weasly and D. House XD . Well, and when they happily went into a police car after all they went through.

And that Roger wasn't a musician like in the cartoon. That was just...no.

But it was so much fun watching it now that I'm older.

AND IT NEEDED SERGEANT TIBBS THE CAT!!! Tibbs was flippin' awesome!

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The Day the Universe Changed: A Personal View by James Burke.

I have not watched this series in several years, but StrutEggStealer's question concerning my philosophy of life inspired me to watch it once more.  It is an excellent documentary series that focuses on how changes in human knowledge lead to corresponding changes in how we view the world and our relationship with it.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Cosmos: A Personal Voyage

This television series has been a favorite of mine ever since I was introduced to it during my teenage years.  Despite some of the science no longer being quite up-to-date (which is understandable - it was produced 33 years ago), it remains an excellent primer into the basics of fundamental scientific concepts.  Whenever I am exhausted or worn down (like I am now) I find that this series never ceases to inspire and re-energize me.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Got "Into Darkness" on DVD and watched it twice in a row.  It was just as awesome the second and third time around.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Being the animation afficionado that I am, I've been on a foreign animated film seeking quest as of late, to see how other countries make their animated movies. :yes I ended up watching Roadside Romeo by Yash Raj Films (distributed by Disney), which was also my first Bollywood film as well that I've watched. I have to say... I was pretty impressed. :smile While I heard it's kind of typical Bollywood, I wouldn't exactly know that.  :angel The soundtrack by Salim-Sulaiman was great, the animation was pretty good for India's first 3D film (I'd say up to US standards of the time, which was five years ago at this point), and while I found a lot of the humor going over my head (plenty of Bollywood references thrown around), I DID laugh at some bits (a few of Javed Jaffrey's lines stood out to me). The voiceovers were a strong aspect of the film too, but the best part for me was how realistic the dance scenes looked. I learned they used live choreographers to perform the dances and the animators in turn made the characters perform the same moves on the computer, which, if you're going for realism, is a great approach to it. :yes

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sherlock Seasons 1 and 2.

I have no idea when the BBC is finally going to show season 3, as they have pushed the date back several times at this point.  So, for the umpteenth time, I am rewatching the series to temporally satisfy my need for this awesome show.

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic..it's strangely addictive,

Piecito

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Hokuto no Ken, a extremely Outstanding anime from the 80; (1983 to be exact)
good caracteres as raoh and ken

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
PBS Nova - Life's Greatest Miracle

This is an excellent educational program about pregnancy and sexual reproduction.  I am re-watching it in order to determine some critical thinking questions to ask the students after they watch it.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Avatar: The Last Airbender. I finally got a hold of all three books (seasons), and I am having a marathon.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Zardoz.  No possible description could do this film justice - just read the plot synopsis on wikipedia and realize that full plot is much more trippy and incoherent.  This 1974 film stars Sean Connery and was admittedly produced under the influence of drugs by director John Boorman.