The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Don Bluth's current lack of a career.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
What do you think happened? Was it the boxoffice failure of "Titan A.E." that drove all the potential projects away from him? Did he finally give up after making several flops in a row? Did he just retire? Or is he just working on a project that's taking a long while to get going? Or is it, perhaps a mix of some of the above? What do you think?

His U.S. Boxoffice Film Grosses (not adjusted for inflation): (as you will see, he's been less than successful, outside of "An American Tail" and "The Land Before Time")

The Secret of NIMH (1982) -$14.7 million
An American Tail (1986) -$45.8 million
The Land Before Time (1988) -$48 million
All Dogs Go to Heaven (1989) -$26.7 million
Rock-A-Doodle (1992) -$11.6 million
Thumbelina (1994) - $11.3 million
A Troll in Central Park (1994) - less than $100,000 (ouch!)
The Pebble and the Penguin (1995)- $3.9 million
Anastasia (1997) - $58.4 million
Titan A.E. (2000) - $25 million

So, what do you think? I would hardly think that one more flop of "Titan A.E." would damper his spirits after surviving on grosses that are generally somewhere between $5-$50 million for his entire career, and if he was still allowed to make movies after some of the crash-and-burns that he's put out: I don't think that his latest boxoffice failure would finally put him out of work 'just like that' (especially after it's healthy video success).
I'm going to guess that he has either retired, or he's been working, but he just doesn't have his latest project made yet. But that's my take on it. I could be wrong (although I'd hope not, because those are the least harsh conditions for the current lack of Bluth on animated films these days.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
A Troll in Central Park (1994) - less than $100,000 (ouch!)

You sure that isn't a typo?  I remember seeing a lot of advertising for that one...even more than Thumbelina.

I wish those numbers were adjusted for inflation to get a more accurate number on how all of his films did compared to each other.  Also, there's a big reason Bluth did well in the 80s--Disney was pretty much in limbo from 1979-1989 and Disney was not the popular powerhouse it is today.  That's another reason his films did badly in the early 90s--because Disney could do no wrong then--Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, and Pocahontas all made sure of that.  Even Bluth's films from the 90s (all of them) couldn't match what the Lion King did in 1994 alone.

Has he lost his touch?  Or has the competition just caught up again?

If you've seen Bluth's films in the 90s, aside from Anastasia, there's nothing really worth seeing.  I remember watching Rock a Doodle and the Pebble and the Penguin and they were not that good at all....nothing on par to what he made in the 80s to commemorate Walt Disney, his idol.  Could he make another really good 2-D film when just about everyone else is still living in 3-D mode?  Sure....and it might not be a bad idea since the latest 3-D stuff (Shrek 2, Madagascar, Chicken Little, Incredibles) have not done as well as expected, or have done as well as their predecessors (Finding Nemo, Shrek) made years before.  That would leave Bluth at the top of the game in 2-D if he gets it going again before the other studios do.  If the cards fall right, it'll be another Bluth of the 1980s.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yes, I am sure that is not a typo. You can advertise a film a ton, but it doesn't mean that you're going to have a good, solid profit on it.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Sure hope someone else replies....won't go too far with just me and you since we've both stated our posts quite well already.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
So, did he make more money off Land Before Time than any other movie he made?  It looks that way on that list.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Quote from: F-14 Ace,Jan 18 2006 on  10:42 PM
So, did he make more money off Land Before Time than any other movie he made?  It looks that way on that list.
No guarantees....Speilberg and Lucas were executive producers, so I'm sure they got a nice chunk of that money.  Bluth probably earned the most out of NIMH since he really did that as an independent and didn't have to answer to anyone else.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
My guess would be that Bluth probably just got net pay as most of what he got off of "The Land Before Time", considering that it was Spielberg and Lucas' bank accounts that were putting up the money.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I thhink, he may be retied.. although that is just my opinion. We'll have to see.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I once heard that he was trying to make "Dragon's Lair" movie. Is this true?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Haven't heard anything about that, so I can't say...
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Yes, I think this is true WR. Just check out Don Bluth's webpage
Don Bluth's webpage. They even have a few clips of the Dragon's Lair movie.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Was this an 80s project, or something he's working on now?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
"Dragon's Lair" is a video game series that Bluth made, and now he's trying to make a movie out of it.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Ok.. hopefully it will be good when it comes out.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Considering that "Anastacia" and "Titan A.E." (his most recent films), were both good, I have high hopes.