The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Gang of Five Karaoke Project

action9000 · 103 · 10542

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ahh, well the work and pain was worth it now.  I got a new processor:
Pentium 4 3.00 GHz, hyperthreading  :D

It was a couple of days getting everything to work again.  My music software was a REAL pain - it didn't like my volume controllers for about 8 hours; it was very odd.  I just got it fixed.  It's about 4:45 am here  :p

Anyways, I can get back to work on the project now, and I'll take my time, RR  :DD
By the way, this processor is amazing  :lol

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Sounds like we've something new to talk about on chats now.  :lol:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
90% complete!
My next post will contain a link to download the full MP3  :DD

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Sounds good.  I'll have a week all to myself to make the recording, and my head cold is gone too.  :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'll have a week all to myself to make the recording, and my head cold is gone too.

Good news, Roger!

100%!  :wow

The Mp3 is finally completed, as a "version 1." :D   If anyone has any suggestions, constructive criticism, or would like anything changed, I'm curious as to what you think of this music so far.  I'm fairly happy with how it turned out, though it's not without its flaws.  My apologies for the delay, folks  :DD

Now, for the recording process:

Each singer has been assigned a set of lines from the song to sing.  Play the mp3 file in the background and record your part into some sort of audio file.  Any format is fine, but the higher the quality, the better.  Make sure the audio file you record has as little noise as possible in the background.  All we need in that file is your voice.  No music.
Don't worry about recording yourself breathing before a note.  I can edit that sound out later  :p

When you complete the recording, send me a link, send it over MSN, or use www.yousendit.com to send me the audio file.  I'll take care of the rest  :yes

Have fun everyone!

http://www.freewebs.com/action9000/songshome.htm
If this downloads very slow, there is another link in a later post.  Keep reading :)

Follow the link on the page.

P.S.  Yes, the last note does *pop* slightly.  I'll fix this for the final release.  I'm not quite sure why it's doing that, but there are ways around it.  :p

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Wow excellent job on the whole thing :D

I'm nervous now :lol: gotta find a time when I'm alone in my house and I'll get right to the recording :DD

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As you asked over PM, roger, I've attached the sheet music of the Bridge section, that you'll be singing, on this post.

I've blocked all the unncessary instruments from this image, so the weird notes don't confuse you.  Shown, are all the melodic and harmonic sounds in the section, minus the percussion.
I put the clefs in so you could see what range each staff was playing.  

Yes, there are A Lot of instruments in this arrangement (23 to be exact).  I hope it isn't too overwhelming to read this.  If you want a more condensed version, I can easily make one.  The very top staff, in blue, is your melody.

*NOTE* In all the harmonies, Noteworthy Composer (the program I loaded the music into to take this screenshot) imported the midi file using all Sharps (#) for accidentals.  I'm not sure what your music theory background is, but A# is the same as Bb, G# is the same as Ab, etc.  I wrote the top staff in quickly, for a reference for you - it wasn't there originally.  The top staff was written using standard music rules. The rest of the music was imported improperly, so just ignore that :p  I didn't write the music in this program, and importing it resulted in some distortions.  At least the notes are all correct  :lol

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
People have commented that downloading the MP3 off my site is very slow.  Use this link until it no longer works. :p It should be much faster.

http://s25.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1IJ2BPU...TT1VF2TEA5CZBXO

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
*Important statement*

When recording for this project, please only use this MP3 to record yourself.  I completely overlooked an important fact: The Littlefoot and Ducky rendition of the song is pitched slightly higher than ours!  If you record to it, You Will Be Out Of Tune in our project!  I don't know why I forgot about this.  :o

For recording, you Must sing along to our MP3.  All other versions of the song are too different to get an acceptable quality from.  Thanks  :DD

If you have trouble knowing where your part is in the song, to know when to start singing, I can help you, just let me know.  I have a number of ways to assist on this matter.

Don't record yourself singing without listening to the music at the same time.  Timing needs to be matched between your singing and the music, and the only way to guarantee they match, is to sing while it's playing.  Otherwise, it may be impossible for me to match the singing to the music.

If I sound grumpy or demanding, I'm really not  :wave   I just want to save you folks the effort of having to do extra work  :DD.

:lol Now, let's have some fun with this!  :lol

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I'll see if I can get something done on Monday.  ;)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Any word on a recording, Malte?  I know the status of everyone else, and there is no rush at all, but I'm just wondering how you're progressing on this project.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Sorry, this was one of the points delayed partly due to my own sluggishness. I did make some first recordings during which it turned out that the old program I was using didn't record more than a minute. You already gave me a link to a better program (while I was still typing this) so that won't be a problem anymore. I'll do the recording as soon as possible. Again, sorry about the delay.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I did several recorings today. If we meet at MSN later on I will sent them to you right away.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That's great Malte!  I probably won't see you on MSN on March 8th or 9th since I'm at school until 5 pm and 6 pm (my time) respectively.  We'll see other soon after that though, I'm sure  ;)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Hey Malte if you read this, take it from me...you sing in English better than some English speakers sing in English and somehow have record deals.  :yes  :yes

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot  :) Sometimes I'm unsure whether I should try to sound English or American (keeping in respectively leaving out the "r" before the consonants). Is there any audible accent in the singing? Either way it wouldn't be a bad thing I reckon.
I've recorded the singing in the higher quality (the first I did were not the CD quality mode), but Action9000 and I haven't run into each other at MSN yet.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
We may not until Saturday, Malte.  I'm at school until at least 3:30 or 4:00 all week, and I can't get on msn here.  That's alright, though. In the meantime, I'll work on my recording.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Hey action, I'm going to try some more recordings on Friday with my voice recorder...yeah that mp3 player that I can only turn on with a screwdriver.  :lol:  I'm thinking it might help with the 'breath' you can always hear with that mic I used.  That would be less work for you.  It can't record any higher than 160 though.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
160 should be plenty, so long as it's at least 32 kHz or higher (preferrably 44.1).
but yea, that would be awesome.  Since there is music in the song as well, slight quality imperfections will be hidden.  Even Malte's 11 kHz recording didn't sound all that bad with the music behind it.  I'm sure 160 @ 44.1 kHz will do nicely.

I'm currently borrowing a mic from my friend Tobeysan.  He actually has a Good mic, so this will help with our (mine and Tobeysan's) recordings.  It has great quality and it cancels out the breath noise very well.  I want his mic :wow