The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Series on DVD

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
Also the discs feel really fragile so be very careful when taking them out.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 04:54:40 PM by LittleDas75 »

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
So what you're say is that the Youtube versions if set in 1080p HD quality are better quality than the DVD?

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
So what you're say is that the Youtube versions if set in 1080p HD quality are better quality than the DVD?
Yeah but not by much. They did a pretty good job.

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
If I came to America and saw it in Walmart I won't be wasting my money for better quality on Youtube.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
If I came to America and saw it in Walmart I won't be wasting my money for better quality on Youtube.
Fair enough.

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Why would Universal re-release a DVD of episodes despite knowing that people can watch them all for free on Youtube. Isn't that a risky business strategy to make something easily available for free and then ask people to buy the already existing episodes on Youtube for money? 

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Why would Universal re-release a DVD of episodes despite knowing that people can watch them all for free on Youtube. Isn't that a risky business strategy to make something easily available for free and then ask people to buy the already existing episodes on Youtube for money?
I was thinking that myself. I wouldn't be surprised if I was the only one who pre-ordered it.

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It's also a de-mastered DVD.

I own 101 Dalmatians 1961 on regular DVD but that's been upgraded with surround sound and cleaned up to look brand new. Universal should've done something like that to make it stand out from the Youtube video instead of going the opposite way. Also audio commentaries would've given the DVDs way more selling potential.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
It's also a de-mastered DVD.

I own 101 Dalmatians 1961 on regular DVD but that's been upgraded with surround sound and cleaned up to look brand new. Universal should've done something like that to make it stand out from the Youtube video instead of going the opposite way. Also audio commentaries would've given the DVDs way more selling potential.
That would have been awesome but Universal is too lazy to do anything cool.

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
$154 Billion the company's worth and Universal can't even scale something to 1080p like on the internet? smh.

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
Glad the quality looks good, disappointed that there’s no bonus features since the previous TV series releases had bonus features, so missed opportunity.

Anyway one last question, and it might be stupid but, is there any background music playing on the DVD menu so the menu doesn’t look THAT depressing considering it already looks bare bones?

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Glad the quality looks good, disappointed that there’s no bonus features since the previous TV series releases had bonus features, so missed opportunity.

Anyway one last question, and it might be stupid but, is there any background music playing on the DVD menu so the menu doesn’t look THAT depressing considering it already looks bare bones?
I haven't checked. Not in the mood for earworms right now. The menu's running time is 1 minute and 30 seconds so maybe.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 06:28:37 PM by LittleDas75 »

LBT Fan

• Ruby
    • View Profile

The only major reason I can think off the top of my head is that there would be no YouTube ads.
Also, we're lucky that we even got a DVD release in the first place.

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Can't people just put ad blocker on their google chrome to not have to watch ads on the episodes for free?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 01:40:59 PM by Enchanted-Valley96 »

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Wow. I had no idea they were finally releasing the full TV series on DVD. Too bad it seems to be restricted to the US. Do you guys know if these DVDs can play on European DVD players?

Also, have any of you guys bought the full 14 film box set? Is it worth it?
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Wow. I had no idea they were finally releasing the full TV series on DVD. Too bad it seems to be restricted to the US. Do you guys know if these DVDs can play on European DVD players?
Unless you have a multi region DVD player then probably not.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I can't believe I didn't bring this up sooner, The Big Longneck Test is finally on DVD.

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
Well folks, I finally got the complete series on DVD.  I will say it’s pretty much your standard vanilla release, and it can be noted by the bland DVD menu with has the instrumental theme playing in the background.  The DVD is basically just the series, and no special features unlike the previous TV Series releases.

For some weird reason, the DVD states that the aspect ratio of the episodes is 4:3, but upon playing the DVD, they’re all 16:9, so that’s a little false advertising (to be fair, there’s much worse false advertising on the back of the cover).

Overall the release is fine you ask me, but I kinda only recommend you get it if you want to complete your TLBT physical media collection, otherwise just watch the episodes on YouTube.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Can't people just put ad blocker on their google chrome to not have to watch ads on the episodes for free?
Yeah about that.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 02:17:14 PM by LittleDas75 »