The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What are you thinking about?

Amaranthine · 1116 · 77012

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Definitely rethinking my future use of my laptop after today.

I've been using this laptop for exactly ten years now, and today, the power adapter has suddenly failed. Thankfully, the laptop itself still works perfectly fine, and I was very lucky to have a spare power adapter to replace the old one (otherwise, I would've been left with whatever amount of time a single full battery would've lasted).

I understand how unbelievable it is that this laptop has been able to last for this long, and I suppose I was dreading the very real possibility that it might cease to function someday soon. I've been regularly saving copies of my in-progress fanfiction writing for the last few years, and in just the last year I've been adjusting my web browsing habits so that, in the event I lose the laptop and thus my browser history, I can pretty much continue where I left off with minimal disruption. My plan prior to today had been to purchase a new laptop sometime later this year, finish my current fanfiction work on this laptop, and then transfer my browser history and documents over to the new laptop.

However, after losing the old power adapter today, I'm definitely starting to reconsider that plan. As of now, I'm thinking that rather than get a new laptop (seeing as I'm very unlikely to do any significant traveling anytime soon), I'll instead make the transfer to my desktop (a brand new computer I got at the end of last year). With the way my fanfiction progress is, the next opportunity I'll have to make the transfer without any significant disruptions will be about one month from now. Although that's four months ahead of my original plan, it obviously means that I'm going to be really hoping that this old laptop can hold out for at least one more month before I'm ready to adjust everything to move on to my desktop.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 10:47:57 PM by The Chronicler »

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
To follow up on my previous post here, I'm very pleased to report that earlier today, I made an account on my Firefox browser, allowing me to use its "sync" feature to save my browser history between both of my computers, allowing me to use either one of them for my daily web browsing without losing access to any of the websites I frequently visit. For the first time since I first got my laptop way back in late summer of 2010, I am now posting here on GoF using a desktop computer rather than said laptop.

Okay, so it was hardly perfect, seeing as only some of my long-term browser history was transferred over to my desktop. :neutral But it seems my desire to perfectly save my complete browser history was always going to be futile, because it turns out my laptop's browser history maxes out at five and a half years (I was able to determine this by scrolling all the way down to the bottom of my complete browser history and among the earliest pages currently listed was a news article from when Leonard Nimoy passed away).

Still, I'm very happy that I can now comfortably do the vast majority of my web browsing on my desktop. No more waiting several minutes and doing absolutely nothing so my laptop could cool down after little more than opening a bunch of news articles in a short amount of time. No more complaining about having no way to hide all the emoticons while I'm typing posts here because all those moving images slow things down for me. No more getting frustrated whenever I see any posts by Sharpely (no offense, but your moving avatar and flashy signature image were especially excessive on my laptop's CPU usage). No more trying to press hard on certain keys on the keyboard to ensure that those particular letters are actually entered while I'm typing. And finally, no more constantly checking my laptop's resource monitor to ensure I was not at risk of overheating to the point of it suddenly shutting off.

As an added bonus, now that I'm no longer doing any intensive web browsing on my laptop, it turns out that the old thing still seems to run remarkably well. Sure, it still suffers from the occasional unexpected shutdown whenever I try putting it into hibernate mode at the end of the day, but now it's no longer such a big deal anymore. I'm honestly not sure what further use I can make of that old laptop, but I'm definitely gonna hold onto it and occasionally turn it on in case if I do need it. (At this time, the only use I can think of is if I need to use two computers at the same time, such as checking something online on my laptop while I'm also playing a game on my desktop.)

Now I just need to figure out the question of how exactly I'm going to continue with my fanfiction writing, but I think I might already have a potential solution...

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My thoughts today:

My hope at the beginning of this month had been to not only proceed with the next part of my LEGO Equestria Girls fanfiction series, but also to start off a completely new fanfiction featuring the LBT gang of seven in a world of Lego. The reason for trying to do both simultaneously is because while the long-running former has been going well, I haven't really been given any helpful advice on ways to potentially improve my writing, so I'm hoping that by doing the latter I can encourage the excellent fanfiction reviewers we have here to offer that advice I desire.

Today was supposed to be the day I was planning to post the first chapter of my planned LBT/Lego fanfic, but after having started writing back in September, the relatively short prologue is still incomplete. Clearly, I just got way too many other things going on around me at this time, so I guess I'll just have to set aside this project for a while longer. I'm hoping I'll have more time to spare in the latter half of this year, so we'll just have to wait and see how things go.

- Berix

Mr. Clubtail

• Chomper
  • LITTLE THINGS ARE AWFUL I HATE EM!
    • View Profile
The fact that people are whining about the "differences" between The Land Before Time 1 Cera and The Land Before Time 5 Cera and The Land Before Time 5 Chomper and TV series Chomper.

Seriously, The Land Before Time 1 Cera and The Land Before Time 5 Cera look exactly the same and The Land Before Time 5 Chomper and TV series Chomper's only differences are their colors and their claws
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 02:50:14 PM by Mr. Clubtail »

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
The fact that people are whining about the "differences" between The Land Before Time 1 Cera and The Land Before Time 5 Cera and The Land Before Time 5 Chomper and TV series Chomper.

Seriously, The Land Before Time 1 Cera and The Land Before Time 5 Cera look exactly the same and The Land Before Time 5 Chomper and TV series Chomper's only differences are their colors and their claws

I’m thinking about where you heard that?

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Thinking about my first credit card and driver's test in a few months a lot lately.

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Mr. Clubtail

• Chomper
  • LITTLE THINGS ARE AWFUL I HATE EM!
    • View Profile
The fact that I thought that Michael Tavera did the music for the songs (examples: Better off Alone, How Do You Know?, Yellow Belly Bounce, and Imaginary Friends) starting at Journey to the Mists due to the fact that the music of "Very Important Creature" was extremely similar to Tavera's score until I found out today that Michele Brourman did the music for the songs judging by her work on 2 of the Curious George films which had similar sounding songs but they were generally scored by Germaine Franco rather than Michael Tavera.

Silver the Pterosaur

• Apprentice to the Rainbow Faces
  • Member+
  • Ruby
  • in 1,474 days, I become an Optometrist.
    • View Profile
What I'm thinking:

How the heck am I going to pass my Molecular Genetics Test.
りゅうすけ

Compsognathus

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I am thinking today of Hogwarts Legacy, and Digimon Survive, I look forward to it very much.

Silver the Pterosaur

• Apprentice to the Rainbow Faces
  • Member+
  • Ruby
  • in 1,474 days, I become an Optometrist.
    • View Profile

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
What a micro-manager my father is and what to do for Babygirl tomorrow.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As an enthusiast of astronomy and space exploration, I am very pleased by the news that the James Webb Space Telescope, after several years of delays and going several billions of dollars over budget, has finally been launched into space, earlier this morning. Now it's just a matter of whether it can fully deploy and prove to be fully functional, which we won't know for sure until June at the earliest.

- Berix

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm thinking about how I was looking for THIS EXACT THREAD and now its here and I am happy now.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thinking about needing to get out of the house and get things but also wanting to write fanfics again.

Compsognathus

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I am thinking about Disney plus streaming platform coming to Czechia. I really want to watch it, it is planned for this year, but it is still not here.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile

gutza1

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I'm mainly thinking about my undergraduate research project. It's using deep learning to predict fission gas release in a 2D microstructure of nuclear fuel. Apparently my advisor said it could actually lead to a published paper in a journal.
"This song is new to me, but I am honored to be a part of it."
-Solanum

The Mr. E's science advisor and the GoF's resident spaceflight enthusiast

HotelValleyfornia

• Shark took my leg, brah!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • All aboard the Hyperfixation Express!
    • View Profile
I'm thinking about that whole Velma show on HBO Max causing chaos in the animation community. People REALLY don't like it. :sducky

IMO if you want a show that involves mysteries, fun characters and bodily fluids, then Grossology sweeps :Mo
Current hyperfixation: Total Drama

Yacht life! :DD

Compsognathus

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I am thinking about new Animaniacs season, and I am not glad, that Hulu is not available in our country.