The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ask me anything!

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey all, I'll join in this trend!

Ask me anything you want and I'll do my best to answer! :D

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
How did you come to join tthis forum?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I rediscovered my love for LBT around the age of 17.  I went hunting around online for any music resources related to the series (the first film especially) with no success.  Eventually I stumbled across Malte's Network54 LBT forum and I asked the people there if they had any idea about locating LBT sheet music.  While I didn't get anything I didn't already know about, I wasn't ready to give up yet!

I did some more Google searches and I came across Christian's LBT art website, which had a link to the Gang of Five.  Amazed to find such an active and friendly LBT community, I joined, happy to bring my unique experiences to the group. :D

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
How does popcorn and cheese dip taste like ? :D

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Way more like cheese dip than popcorn!

Pink and cheese do not mix well, nope nope nope!  :p  :lol

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
How could you know HTML but not CSS? :p They pretty much go hand-in-hand in web design/development.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Do you like my pet bat?   
Okay that's just awesome! :p

How could you know HTML but not CSS?  They pretty much go hand-in-hand in web design/development.
I only know a few HTML commands that let me display images, play a midi, make a hyper link and format text a little bit.  I don't even remember how to code a table in HTML.  Everyone had to take computer classes through grades 1-9 in school.  In grade 8, they taught us basic HTML, which was the same stuff I knew already, which I described above.  Ever since, I've been more interested in just using editors rather than raw code for websites.  Even then, web design is not something I've done a lot of or been particularily tempted to learn more of.  I'm good enough to use frontpage and that's all I need these days. :p

CSS..I've just never had exposure to it.  Basic HTML and Frontpage's WYSIWYG editor has been able to do anything I've ever needed to do.

When did you start being a LBT fan? 
Since my mom bought me the first movie as a little kid..but even moreso when my mom bought me the 2nd movie! :D  1994, I would have been 8/9/10 years old when my interest was strongest as a kid.  I then ignored it for a few years between about 12 and 15 before I started watching them on my own again, privately. :p

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I've been curious, what do you do for a living?

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
You come to a fork in the road. You turn around and tell your clan to stop moving. You look down the left path and see a generally green path, with trees and forest creatures guiding the way to the sound of an ocean. Your wizard begins to study her spellbook. You look down the right path and see a man, of average height, dressed in a long dark cloak. Your feats allow you to hear him whispering...

"Ever played Dungeons & Dragons?"

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've been curious, what do you do for a living?
I currently still live at home and am starting a new job tomorrow as a night clerk at a small store.  I'd love to go back to school next year but I'm still debating what exactly I want to study! :bang  :unsure:

"Ever played Dungeons & Dragons?"
Haha no but honestly, a couple of friends and I here would love to try it sometime!  My friend has played it quite a few times and he let me read through his rulebook while I was helping him dogsit while his parents were away last year.  I dunno, we may try it one day if we're crazy enough! :p

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Someone actually asked me that on my "welcome topic" when I first joined the GoF :D

I'll copy and paste that answer here. :p

I first came up with the name "Action Man" as a little kid, perhaps 6 or 7; who was sort of a sci-fi superhero with tons of money and awesome technology, who flew around space, participating in races, fighting evil, all that good stuff biggrin.gif

Anywho, I eventually had to give his vehicles names, and I ended up using 9 as the model numbers, with the 9000 being the newest model.

When I was about 12, I discovered that Hasbro toys had recently created a character with the same name, Action Man
http://www.actionman.com/

and that really made me mad, since I used to use "Action Man" or simply "Action" as my screen name, and people were Constantly bugging me about my reference to the stupid (in my biased opinion. If anyone here is an AM fan, I mean no offense, just stating how I felt) toy. I attempted to convince people that I came up with the name well before Hasbro ever used it, but, of course are dumb dino_tongue.gif

Anywho, I decided to apply the old model number into my screen name, to cover up the "Action Man", where my new name is derived from. Hence, Action9000 was born.  :p

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
What exactly triggered your desire to make an online LBT role playing game?  To my knowledge you haven't been very active in the RP sections of the forum.....at least not since I've been around.  What made you just wake up one day and decide to make it?  Did you get the idea from someone else or did you just come up with the idea out of the blue?  I don't really have any background on this. :p

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Exactly?  I'm not sure I completely remember anymore but I'll do my best. :p

In short, I wanted to do something for the LBT community that was bigger than anything that's been done before and I've always been a fan of multiplayer video games.

I've always felt there was a lack of good multiplayer games in the world, especially games that aren't subscription-based (with monthly fees) and I also felt that, sad as it is, there aren't any good LBT video games in existance, especially for our age group.

It's true, I'm not a roleplayer.  I treat this game more like an experience in the LBT world, with all the incredible scenery and sense of adventure we would expect, rather than the RP aspect itself.  I'll admit, bringing the community together in this game is more interesting to me than the storylines or character development in this game will ever be.

The natural response in combination of all of these feelings was to do what I did: see how people felt about a multiplayer LBT game targetted to our age group and see if we could make that a reality.

I spent ages thinking about exactly how this game could function on long shifts at work at my more boring jobs in the last couple of years.  I wrote down all sorts of random notes at work on little pieces of paper and posted up some of those ideas on the forum.  After discussing and refining ideas a bit, we have what we do today.

I never planned on having a server running for this game, rather treating it more like Diablo 2 or a game like that, where the group of friends decide they want to play so one of them hosts a game and the rest join right away.  I wasn't originally imaging this game's 'feel' being exactly like an MMORPG but the more I look at this game, the more it's looking like it's basically going to be one, with its fair share of differences, of course!

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
What programming languages do you know?

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I am programming the LBT RPG in C++, which is my primary language.

I have taken two courses in high school on Java and I actually have a copy of the textbook we use here so I could brush up on my java programming pretty fast.  I also had to take two C courses in college, but I don't like using C and I haven't touched it since.  I'll probably be pretty rusty with C by now.

C++ mainly and Java if I need to, is my best answer. ;)  I've never been a fan of Python and those other smaller languages.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Do you still have that huge audio system in your car? :p

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This question got a hilarious result from Adam, so I thought that I would ask another admin to see what your reaction will be.
=====
What did you have for dinner last night?