The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ask me about the Darwin's Soldiers 'Verse

Serris · 88 · 9658

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
In LBT: Future Wars I have already imagined up how an expansion to the game might look - called LBT: FW Invasion where the alien Dirge show up on planet Earth to complete the extinction of the dinosaurs that they failed to do hundreds of years ago with their virus and VDF & Claw have to fend them off.

Here are a few ideas I'm tossing around, can you tell me what you think of them?

(A) New Faction:  The Dirge

An ancient and bitter race, the Dirge as a people have all but destroyed themselves in a quest for physical and mental perfection.  The few that remain are dedicated scientists specializing in biological experimentation and genome splicing.  A division of the Dirge is responsible for the shrinking of the dinosaurs, in preparation of using the planet Earth to be the testing ground for their newest creation which is the earliest humans.  Thanks to Achilles unlocking the code on the Stone of Cold Fire, the part machine-part fast-biter was able to signal their ships and summon them to end the Claw-VDF conflict for his own ends.

The Dirge specialize in deadly poisons and biological experimentation that produces monstrous troops, vehicles, and aircraft of all shapes and sizes.  Their mastery of creation is unsurpassed, as demonstrated in their weapons.

Dirge Weapons list to come soon...

(B) New and Deadly Weapons for Claw and the VDF:

VDF Railsnipers

- previously only dedicated to non-combat roles as medics and attendants swimmers have now taken to the field in a combination of power armour and revolutionary new Railguns that they can use to pick off enemy targets from great distance.  As a division of the Navy, Railsnipers can also swim unlike most other VDF forces.  The first of the Railsnipers was Ducky, who volunteered for the role following a brief tour of duty in the Cardiocopter (a prototype that was never produced and unsuccessful)

VDF Ramjet

- VDF high command noted how vulnerable their air forces were to attacks from the menacing Claw Screamers, and following the end of the Twilight War the military authorized the construction of these rapid response air-superiority jet fighters
- Piloted uniquely by fast-runners who recieved the option of entering the airforce because of how many of their kin suffered and died during the Twilight War - far more then any other race in the VDF

VDF Mobile Drawler Device (MoDD)

- following the end of the Twilight War the VDF council was notably less restrictive on the types of weapons the military could use thanks to the brutality and horror of many Claw weapons that proved to outmatch their forces (most notably Omega Spheres and Reborn sharpteeth) and hence authorized the re-use of many long banned weapons including the Drawler Tech (or Atmospheric Destablization)
- piloted by longnecks due to its highly experimental nature, and fires massive balls of lightning at it's targets that burn through anything and everything in their path

Claw Reborn

- ressurected Claw Infantry now fully buildable and sustainable

Claw Rage Generator

- a powerful device that can incite large groups of units into insane bouts of rage doubling their firing rate.  An unfortunate side effect is that the targeted units will kill everything in sight - even their own allies!  Use this device wisely!

© Capital Ships

Both the VDF and Claw have new massive ships they can construct in the late game as a method of slaugtering their enemies from the air:

VDF Deliverator

- equipped with a powerful Drawler projector and an additional weapon slot that can be upgraded to either a Punisher Cannon, a Skystrike missile Battery, or a Self Repair Device

Claw Basilisk

- replaces the Omega Sphere
- artillery ship that shoots incidious new weapons called 'Soul Nukes' at long range
- for every unit the Basilisk kills it gains Soul Charge which can be expended to create one large and devestating blast.

(D) New Heroes and Hero Mechanics

- One hero may be chosen at the start, and an additional hero may be chosen when you build a Black Tech Lab/ Battle Centre

VDF:

Railsniper Ducky
Sonic Ruby
Cera's Punisher Tank - requires T2
Littlefoot's Brontodon - requires T3
Petrie's Deliverator - requires T3

Claw:

Infiltrator Ozzy
Aconite's Calculator
Hellebore's Reductor - requires T2 (a mobile device that stealths anyone near it)
Procella's Basilisk - requires T3 (a soulful weapon for a soulless torturer)
Red-Eye's Tyrannotron - requires T3

(E) New Special Weapons Structures that grant Support Powers that consume part of their energy when used

VDF:

Atmospheric Destablizer
- Create Vortex
- Great Circle Nova
- Turbulance

Claw:

Caustic Synthesizer
- Launch Caustic Missile
- Chemical Purging
- Melt Ore

Tell me what you think and let me know if you have any questions.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I like this expansion a lot. It reminds me of Firestorm from the Tiberian series.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Are you going to turn all three RP's into novels? And how many changes do you think you'll have to make to the storyline?

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I will try but I want to see what happens with the first novel.

I will try to keep it as close to the original as possible but I feel that I will need to make some changes to the storyline.

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
On Chapter 34 - Yellowbellies get involved in the war...

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
What do you mean when you say the ending of DS2 was very close to Rocks Fall Everyone Dies?

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well, Pelvanida got bombed into oblivion so anyone inside there died.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Oh, is that what you meant. I thought you meant you were planning on killing off the main cast. :) I like your interpretation better.

Did you think Darwin's Soldiers was going to get this big when you started it? Were you ever planning on more than just one RP?

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hell no!

I was actually expecting it to end like the Furtopia RPs - no closure!

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Why did you choose the name Fool's Gold for your Kerzach-centric story?

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The name was originally random and I could not think of another name.

However, with the conclusion of the story, there is another reason:

Pyrite is often mistaken for gold by amateur mineral hunters. Likewise, Dr. Kerzach mistakes one of the trucks leaving Rara Terra's refinery complex for one of the lanthanide haulers. Like the rockhound who goes through so much work only to find out that the "gold" they found is not gold at all, Dr. Kerzach goes through a lot of work only to find out that the lanthanide hauler was not even carrying any lanthanides.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Why did you decide to revamp the old Twilight Valley chapters?

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I felt that my writing style has significantly changed for the better.

Also, I need to get rid of that "artifact age" that implied that the Gang is the same age in the story as in the movies.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Now that I've rated them, how would you rate all of the Darwin's Soldiers stories?

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Jun 23 2010 on  10:59 PM
Now that I've rated them, how would you rate all of the Darwin's Soldiers stories?
(Rated out of ten)

Furtopia (Original) - 6/10- The strong point was definitely the characters and their interactions. My favorite character had to be the nearly sociopathic SSgt. Garrelli but every character was quite interesting. This lost points because it was never completed, the plot was too straightforward and Dragore (the character) was sort of annoying. The RP also got hit with an obnoxious godmoder who essentially ruined the flow of the RP and receieved a serious reaming both in public and via PM. The worst issue was several posts that showed the interaction between Garelli, Eclipse, 008 and Dragore (the character) were lost because they were done via I'M between Alsek (plays Garelli) and Dragore (the RPer) and they refused to post the results of even send to me. This caused some severe continuity issues.

Futopia (Reboot) - 2/10 - Again there were some very cool characters but most of them dropped out at or before the halfway point. Examples: X-3125 (profile was written like an actual lab report), Dr. Leroy Kinsley (desperate scientist who experimented on himself and almost died but gained severe dementia and general insanity but also pyrokinetic and cryokinetic powers, which are inconsistent in strength and are always triggered by movement of his limbs <he cannot move any limb without using his powers and he cannot turn his powers off>), Remnant (Wolf cyber-experiment made of liquid metal who can turn his body into various weapons by scanning weapons or by using specialized UMD discs). But despite the cool characters, I hated this RP for a lot of reasons. For starters, Dragore (the character) was even more annoying than the last RP. The biggest reason was Lupis (another Furdragon child experiment). Not only was he annoying as hell, Dragore (the player) decided to put a diaper on him thanks to an in-character sarcastic comment made by one of the guards I played. As a result, there are a lot of posts that deal with changing Lupis's diapers. There also a lot of childish interactions between Dragore (the character) and Lupis. I disliked the above two points because they detracted from the RP's dark, high test atmosphere. In a nutshell, babyfur and dark RP do not mix. Furthermore, my scientist character fell into the background and a group of Pelvanida guards took the spotlight. Also, the terrorists were barely mentioned and the focus seemed to shift very dramatically to the rogue scientists. Finally, I feel that Dragore (the player) more or less hijacked the plot. And it was never completed.

Darwin's Soldiers - 9/10 - What can I say? The plotline stayed coherent but with enough twists to keep from going stale. The descriptions were very, very good as well. The atmosphere was good too: dark with a high tension undertone. I will admit that the characters were a lot less "cool" than the ones in the Furtopia RPs.

Card of Ten - 7/10 - Well, it was nice to see something that was so important in the first RP get a full story. The plot was very unique too. I liked the twist at the end too. I liked how you did. The characters, making sure that each get a moment in the spotlight and how well you kept them in character. Some problems were that the time travel was a bit of mind screw and the plot was a little confusing. The biggest problem was that the story was not really in the same vein as the other stories.

Schroedinger's Prisoners - 10/10 - I loved this story. Dark, thrilling and nicely paced. I especially liked the subtle hint to the first RP and the backstory of Shelton.

Darwin's Soldiers II - 9/10 - I liked this one a lot. More of a "run 'n gun" RP that was a touch darker than the others. I liked the addition of the new characters. The car chase was cool too. The main flaw was that Sgt. Clyco left a lot of plot holes unanswered.

Pavlov's Checkmate - 6/10 - This really caused a bunch of continuity errors. I do like the idea of a Pelvanida guard going rogue. The plot was good too and it revealed a lot more about the characters. The worst part was the time travel aspect; it was really confusing.

Nietzsche's Soldiers - 8/10 - I really liked how you linked an element of Shelton's past to the current situation. I feel that it fell kinda flat towards the end, though.

Fools Gold - 9/10 - I liked this one a lot. High test thrills throughout. Nice pace through out with a major speed up towards the end. I have to admit, there were some touching moments that I think were done pretty well. My only complaint is that Steven Irving was not as fleshed out as I wanted him to be.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm just curious.  What do do you think of my character in Darwin's Soldiers, Subject 19?  I mean, do you think she's gone well so far as a character in general?

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: MrDrake,Jun 25 2010 on  01:42 AM
I'm just curious.  What do do you think of my character in Darwin's Soldiers, Subject 19?  I mean, do you think she's gone well so far as a character in general?
I like her. She is creepy but cool and the relationships between her and all your characters is really neat too.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
It doesn't sound as if you liked the Dragore character either. What were your reasons?

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
As I believe you like military like stuff, so I do wonder, in Darwin's Soldiers, what do you think of my portrayal of the military in general in it?