The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

New Video Page Look on YouTube

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
YouTube has completed it's latest update.  For this one, when you go to the page to watch a video, you'll notice quite a few differences.

Here, let me just show you with a sample video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgJhVgK0tPI

Seriously, what do you guys think?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
It's too complex for non computer people, but I don't really mind.  I gotta say though, I preferred the old system much more.  It's annoying having to click things in order to get the same amount of information that you could get before at a glance.  I mean, what's so great about not having to scroll through the video sidebar?  That's pretty much all that's been gained here.  The stats are better, but they could have easily just added that.

I dunno.  I've never been a fan of Youtube.  It seems to get worse with each passing day.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, here are my biggest complaints.

1. I liked the scrolling of the videos more.

2. I liked there being the classic 5-star rating.

3. I prefer the reply box being down at the bottom.

Other than that, the changes are okay.  One big change I noticed is when you click on the drop arrow right next to the number of views of the video, you get to see the stats of the video.  You actually get to see how long it took to get as popular as it did and how fast.

Still, I preferred the old look more.  They could have just added in the last few things and I would've been okay with it.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I liked the old look better. I like how you can hide comments, which is what I preferred doing, but now I can't do that.

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.waluigi.de
I don't like the changes on YouTube... the old channel design was better, and the old video page was better...

I think that most people will complain about the new style... it looks way too sterile.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I prefer the old way though they do seem to enjoy changing the way the page looks pretty often so I suspect they'll change pretty soon again.

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
3 words:

I. HATE. IT.

Enough said. YouTube better bring the old design back, or I'm gonna have to go to their HQ and plant a C4 explosive inside their office. :p

Jychara

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: 2007excalibur2007,Apr 1 2010 on  11:48 AM
3 words:

I. HATE. IT.

Enough said. YouTube better bring the old design back, or I'm gonna have to go to their HQ and plant a C4 explosive inside their office. :p
Yeah,it sucks...The old one was really better then it

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
I admit, the new look does not approve for my liking.
But as Iris's said, it's a special day today.  :rolleyes:
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mumbling,Apr 1 2010 on  06:07 PM
First of april la la la
Uhuh. Sure. *tries to play along* :p

Although, TextP is definitely YouTube's April Fools joke for this year. I doubt the new design is too. But seeing that it pisses most people off...

...oh. That figures.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yea. I actually like TextP though :) Looks pretty awesome I'd say :p

Dunno about the new layout. It was already there about a month ago if you wanted to reply to comments you got ( if you clicked the link in an email)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Another part of their prank is the faded logo. :rolleyes:

Yeah, nice joke there, YouTube.

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Apr 1 2010 on  02:00 AM
That really didn't work though: the vast majority of videos I saw were either five stars (mostly) or one star.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oh, and another thing I forgot to add.

It's the "History" link.  Such a thing is now only accessible through the "My Videos" link in the drop-down of your name.  To be honest, I liked it being on the front more.

Seriously YouTube, this is just worse. -_-

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Clawandfang,Apr 1 2010 on  08:22 PM
That really didn't work though: the vast majority of videos I saw were either five stars (mostly) or one star.
How didn't the 5-star rating worked? Personally I think that method was better than the current method; now I have to rate the video if I "liked it" or "didn't like it" just to see how well liked the video is. Not only is this inconvenient in my opinion, it's also much less descriptive. A 5-star rating, in my opinion, worked better than a simple "liked it" or "didn't like it" because it offered some "middle ground". Perhaps someone didn't like the video but didn't outright hate it, they could have chosen a 2-star rating instead of a 1-star. Perhaps someone liked the video, but not that much. They could pick a 4-star rating. And what if someone felt the video was a little good but not very bad? They could have chosen a 3-star rating. The new rating system now severely limits how a person can rate the video. They are no longer given much of an option, just a "liked" or "didn't like". That doesn't say much about the video.

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.waluigi.de
I can't believe it... I thought it was an April Fool's joke...

YouTube HAVE to change it back, there's no other way! I think YouTube will get hundreds of thousands complains...
Most of my videos have a 3-Star-Ranking, and now? I think that most people would rate "didn't like", if they would rate a video of mine 3 stars out of 5 (there's an error, by the way. I can rate my own videos. Grrrreat... *facepalm*). Then my videos will go down the tubes.

One of my most popular videos had a 3-Star-Ranking, and now, with the new system:
Ratings for this video  (355 total)
Number of likes    163
Number of dislikes 192

So most people dislikes the video, and then this video will damage my reputation on YouTube, because most people will think: "Oh, most people dislikes this video... well, then I dislike it, too."

-.- I hate it, I hate it!!

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Apr 2 2010 on  04:08 PM
Quote from: Clawandfang,Apr 1 2010 on  08:22 PM
How didn't the 5-star rating worked? Personally I think that method was better than the current method; now I have to rate the video if I "liked it" or "didn't like it" just to see how well liked the video is. Not only is this inconvenient in my opinion, it's also much less descriptive. A 5-star rating, in my opinion, worked better than a simple "liked it" or "didn't like it" because it offered some "middle ground". Perhaps someone didn't like the video but didn't outright hate it, they could have chosen a 2-star rating instead of a 1-star. Perhaps someone liked the video, but not that much. They could pick a 4-star rating. And what if someone felt the video was a little good but not very bad? They could have chosen a 3-star rating. The new rating system now severely limits how a person can rate the video. They are no longer given much of an option, just a "liked" or "didn't like". That doesn't say much about the video.
It didn't work because your average person doesn't honestly rate every video, they generally either think "meh" and not even bother rating or "Yes! Five Stars!". The YouTube blog went into this in a little more detail, but it basically summed up that the vast majority of videos on YouTube are five stars. Thus, telling how popular a video was was a matter of seeing how many votes went into getting that five star rating, a workaround which they've essentially just taken and made standard.