The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ask me anything about WRITING

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Basically what the title says. If you have any questions about general writing, my writings or anything at all about it feel free to ask here. :)

And those of you that had questions regrading my newest fan fiction, I will answer them here.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Serris:
On a side note, is this set in the "current" LBT or in the future when the Gang of Five are a few years older?

The Last Untime is set a few years later, where Cera and the gang of five are teens and Tricia is an older kid.

Cancerian Tiger
Okay, what the hell is goin' on here?

Lulz.. :p One thing to know about my writing and I guess I'll say it now before anyone else starts wondering, I have a tendency to end at cliff hangers. I don't do it all the time since that would just end up annoying and boring, but I really wanted to get into the other character's stories so it was one of the reasons why I made this part short. Sorry about that.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Do most of your stories tend to be darker or lighter in nature?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've always wrote dark themes. I mean pretty much all of the stories I wrote ended in a happy ending. But lately, I just let the story unfold the way it needs to be.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
When I review your fanfic, do you want me to point out typos and other errors in the text, or limit my feedback to opinions, suggestions, and thoughts on the story?

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Tear it apart buddy! :) When it's published, that means it's my absolute final version, so let it rip! :D

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Edit: Deleted access to journal here. It's been causing more trouble for me then help.

Now to the questions.

By the way, is the small blue flyer described here intended to be a butterfly?

Yeah it was. I just I wanted to be close to cannon to the LBT terms as possible, so I called it a "blue four legged flyer" or a "small flyer".

I may not be correctly interpreting what this saying means, but shouldn’t this be “an”?

No, I meant to write "that". "An" sounds too passive to me.

One thing that confuses me is the quote at the beginning. What is its significance?

Let me break it down for you so maybe you can understand what it means.

A proclamation of inclination is worth the information.

This means to say what is on your mind and what your gutt feeling is, it is worth being told to others.

To say that we need to be ignorant of our situation is not worth the harm and devastation.

Example: Take the environment for example. If people were ignorant of how the planet was being affected and how they were being affected, we would be a lot worse off then we are now.  So in this case, you need to know what is going on around you and be aware, otherwise, it will cause you harm and devastation.

We only have this moment of beauty and creation.

Take life one day at a time. Love and live in the precious moments of life.

My friends, we are here to live, to die, but most importantly, acclimation.

"Acclimation" is ascending, going up, etc. In life we are here to die, live but we are also here to thrive, and really LIVE life.

This whole quote becomes very apparent as the story goes on, you just need to be patient and find out when it does.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: Rat_lady7,Jul 13 2010 on  06:06 PM
By the way, is the small blue flyer described here intended to be a butterfly?

Yeah it was. I just I wanted to be close to cannon to the LBT terms as possible, so I called it a "blue four legged flyer" or a "small flyer".
I forgot to mention; all butterflies have six legs, but in some species the first pair are extremely small. Personally, I think you should describe it as having six legs, because emphasizing that it has four legs might throw some people off from interpreting it as a butterfly (It definitely had me a little confused).

I have to say, your piece-by-piece explanation of the quote far exceeded my expectations for an answer to my question. I'm a little iffy about one of your word choices, though:
Quote from: Rat_lady7,Jul 13 2010 on  06:06 PM
"Acclimation" is ascending, going up, etc. In life we are here to die, live but we are also here to thrive, and really LIVE life.
From what I've read, the definition of "acclimation" is "adjustment to a changing environment" (a synonym of "acclimatizaton"). There's also the similar "acclamation", which is defined as "a loud eager expression of praise, approval, or assent" or "an overwhelming affirmative vote by cheers shouts, or applause".

Unfortunately, now that I've seen your DA journal, I'm feeling extremely reluctant to continue reviewing your story. It makes me feel guilty to think that I'm sending you into a breakdown every time I post feedback, and so far my posts haven't contributed much besides pointing out writing errors. Also, from the looks of where the story is going, it looks unlikely that I'll be posting a lot of upbeat reviews. If you really want me to continue leaving feedback on this story, I can still do it, but I hate the idea that I'm upsetting you by doing so. :(

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I know you didn't ask a question or anything right now, but I am just going to say this.

Again I WANT your critique. Be as nitpicky as nitpicky as you want. Tear my story apart. I wanted critique and I asked for it. I need to get used to critique if I want to have writing as my actual career. I just never was able to stand it before. I can't stand it, but I still want your critique.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Do you have times when you know exactly how one part of your story will go, but have no idea what made that scene possible or what happens after it? If so, what do you do to fill in those "mysterious spaces"?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^Sorry about the delay Ptyra. Stuff has been going on...mostly my fault.

Yes, I'm actually thinking of one right now. Usually set myself down, maybe take a walk or go on a car ride (thought I don't know how to drive) and turn on some music to inspire me. Then I can make those said spaces come together.