The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Kung Fu Panda 2

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It had everything I hoped it would have: More personal story, great art work, and character development.

Po and the Furious Five are called upon when they learn that a peacock named Lord Shen has taken control of Gongmen City with a weapon so powerful it threatens the very existence of kung fu. They set out to destroy the weapon, liberate the city, and stop Shen. However, Po soon learns that Shen may be connected to his past in more ways than he can imagine.

The story in this movie, while still retaining its humor and heartwarming moments, also has a darker tone to it this time around. Those who have had that one big question from the first movie: "Why is Po's father a goose?", they will get that answer, as well as what happened with his biological parents. I won't spoil anything, but be prepared for an emotional "Bambi"-esqe moment.

The characters are also worth taking a great note of. Po goes through many emotions in this flick: Happiness, sadness, anger, courageous, etc... as he learns about his mysterious past. Of course he also has many funny moments. I love that they've matured him without sacrificing his natural sense of humor. And more importantly, while he is voiced by Jack Black, there's a lot less Jack Black-y and more of a character that you can totally believe. I know, it's hard to describe with words. XP Go see the movie for yourself and you'll see.

The Furious Five also have a much bigger role this time around, especially Tigress and Mantis. It was really nice to see Tigress not only far less hostile towards our favorite panda, but also as a close friend and confident. And there were some scenes between the two that suggest that the writers toyed around with the idea of a romance sub-plot between them. While there is no romance between Po and Tigress in KFP2, there could most likely be some in the future films. And even if Po doesn't hook up with Tigress, I'm perfectly fine with them being close friends.

While the rest of the Five could have been used more, they still had their moments to shine. Mantis was my particular favorite with many great lines such as:

(May not be 100% accurate)
"I always figured I'd go out by settling down with a nice girl... then she'd eat my head."

I also wished they used a lot more of Master Shifu. I loved his dry sense of humor in the first movie. At least he does have a great scene near the beginning of the movie.

Lord Shen may now go down as one of my favorite animated villains. Kudos to Dreamworks for casting Gary Oldman for the role. He delivered the voice of a truly psychotic and deranged mad man obsessed with conquering China. Plus, it's the first time I've ever seen a peacock look intimidating and even scary at some moments.

The artwork has got to be some of the best I've seen in any animated film; and that's coming from a guy who's seen every Pixar movie ever made. I loved the different styles they used for the intro sequence, the mainstream film, and the flashbacks. All so different yet the blend together so well.

In conclusion, despite it's flaws (underused secondary characters and somewhat predictable plot) they can be easily overlooked with their outstanding attention to art, story, and characters. I seriously think Pixar will really have a run for it's money this year.

9.5 out of 10 STARS

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm really looking forward to seeing this film..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I really agree there Spartanguy88. I loved this movie. While yes, the plot was a little predictable, and the secondary characters were sort of sidelined in favor of others, high marks REALLY go to the character studies and how they were written. I think it was a fair trade off, as character development and well written characters are almost just as important to me as a good plot. It was phenomenal, and I totally agree about Lord Shen. He was quite the villain, and so very conflicted as well. The animation on him was superb, and Gary Oldman was just incredible bringing him to life. You could really sense his inner struggles, and he made for such a fantastic psychotic, as you said. XD

I was gonna write a review myself, but you pretty much covered everything I wanted to say, so I may was well just ride the crest of your review. XD :p Really high marks for me on this film. I'd give it a 9 or 9.5 myself.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
As for the predictable ending, with the good guys winning and the bad guys losing, it's really no suprise considering what kind of a movie it is; but it's also the stuff that goes in between the beginning and the end that really matters too. You know that Thor, Green Lantern, and Captain America are going to save the day, but that doesn't make the rest of the film un-enjoyable, right?

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
My friend wants me to go see this film with her, do I need to see the first one? Or is it a completely new story?

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well... you could go see the second movie if you want to, but I'd rent and watch the first movie too for everything to make sense.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Saw it yesterday and loved it. My only issue with it is with all these big time actors like Jackie Chan, Seth Rogan, Jean-Claud Van Damme, and Dennis haysbert I was expecting a little more dialog or a little more out of them other than Po and Tigress. But still I enjoyed the movie regardless.

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
^Yeah, I hope they fix that in the next film.

Something I forgot to mention:
Mr. Ping was also a great character in this movie. I loved how James Hong was able to deliver lines that were both flat out hilarious and at other times very heart-warming.

PS: Baby Po was so freaking adorable!

EDIT: I just HAVE to post Shifu's great line...

Shifu: Every Master must find his own path to inner peace.... Some find it through pain and suffering as I did. Po, the day you were chosen as Dragon Warrior, was the worst day of my life...by far.

Po:  <_<

Shifu: Nothing else came close. It was the worst most painful, mind destroying, horrible moment-

Po: Oookay.

Shifu: -I have ever experienced. (Shudders)

I love that guy.

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I loved this movie. I don't think I have any flaws about it whatsoever. This movie comes in second place for best animated movie of 2011 for me. (First in my opinion is Rio)

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I just watched it with my boyfriend.
And, honestly, I think it's BETTER than the first =P
One of the reasons being that I felt that Lord Shen was a better villain than Tai Lung. I felt more reason to feel attatchment to him and "don't go D: !" feelings toward the end of the movie.

I also had more opportuntiy to grow on the other characters after their development from the first movie...at least Po, who I REALLY liked more in this one than the first. And his dad. I loved how more depth was put into the relationship between him and his dad.

Now that the ending was a cliffhanger, I'm actually looking forward to a third movie.

While the first movie was good enough to see once in a while, I think I might watch the second more than the first. It's one of the few I can think of, now that I think about it, that can put out a pretty darn good series. With the first preview of the first movie, I thought "You have GOT to be kidding me! It's just going to be some other stupid movie" and wound up liking it. Then the second trailer came out and I thought "this had better be good."
Same goes for the third.

Off to deviantART and Lord Shen raiding!

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ptyra,Jun 12 2011 on  09:46 PM
I just watched it with my boyfriend.
And, honestly, I think it's BETTER than the first =P
One of the reasons being that I felt that Lord Shen was a better villain than Tai Lung. I felt more reason to feel attatchment to him and "don't go D: !" feelings toward the end of the movie.

I also had more opportuntiy to grow on the other characters after their development from the first movie...at least Po, who I REALLY liked more in this one than the first. And his dad. I loved how more depth was put into the relationship between him and his dad.

Now that the ending was a cliffhanger, I'm actually looking forward to a third movie.

While the first movie was good enough to see once in a while, I think I might watch the second more than the first. It's one of the few I can think of, now that I think about it, that can put out a pretty darn good series. With the first preview of the first movie, I thought "You have GOT to be kidding me! It's just going to be some other stupid movie" and wound up liking it. Then the second trailer came out and I thought "this had better be good."
Same goes for the third.

Off to deviantART and Lord Shen raiding!
I totally agree with the relationship development between Po and Mr. Ping. But what are your thoughts on the development between Po and Tigress?

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I agree.  It was an awesome movie to be sure.
Not sure if anyone else caught this, but I'm pretty sure that at least twice, Lord Shen pulls his spear out of his sleeve.  Does he have a hyperspace pocket in there somewhere?

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
^LOL, you mean like the sub-space bag Ramona Flowers has in the Scott Pilgrim series. XD

EDIT:
Not going to spoil anything here...
But what about the big scene where Po learns the truth about his past? I gotta say, for a PG rated family movie, it was pretty dark. And I nearly teared up upon Po's reaction to recalling his past.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, I'd have to agree with crane on the beak-dropping, but I REALLY liked the development of Tigress as a whole.
In the first movie, I thought she was a bit of a b!tch, but you really can't blame her. However, I liked her a lot more in this one.

Haha, I teared up at something, but I don't remember. Maybe one of the flashback sequences. Kinda like when Oogway...er...spirited away in the first movie. Oh, speaking of which, I was surprised by how incredibly brutal the deaths were. Like...ho-ly COW!

I do kinda wish they had a flashback of Shen as an infant/child like they did with Tai Lung. He would have been adorable! And had more emphasis on the Soothsayer being his nanny, which is one of the reasons why he's so much softer to her than to anyone else. I especially imagine him being the type to say, "Hey! Don't insult to Soothsayer! No one insults the Soothsayer!...Except for me!"

The relationship between Shen and the Soothsayer is most certainly my favorite, besides Po and Mr. Ping. I like the interspecies parent-child theme in the series...which ended up to creating my own little thing.
A short-clawed River Otter, who is to be the magistratess of a small river town after her elderly uncle, raises a mute swan cygnet named Bashou (I typed "basket child" into a translation engine, and the closest definiton was "given up", which is what "bashou" means. And comes pretty close to what happened with him.)
I don't have a name for the future magistratess yet, but I think I'll go for the lines of her "battle mom" attitude with him.

Zenoah

• Spike
    • View Profile
I love this movie. Me and some buds and my partner were the only ones in the theater so we were able to shout out our "awww's" and "Oh snap's!"

I love the past for Po and the seemingly hand drawn moments.
Lord Shen is my fave out of the KFP series so far! I loved his battle claws!

I reccomend this movie to EVERYONE!

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Another one of my favorite quotes from the movie:

Shen: The only reason you are still alive is that I find your stupidity... mildly amusing.

Po: Well thank you, but I find your evilness extremely annoying!

Shen: Who do you think you are, Panda?

Po: Who do you think I am, Peacock?

[both laugh]

Po: Why are we laughing?

lulz

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
CONTAINS SPOILERS! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I laughed so hard when Po threw his straw hat to try to free the Five from their chains. It also reminded me a bit of Kung Lao from the Mortal Kombat series. Don't know what I'm talking about?

Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMUgtLJB9ZI

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Watched it with my girlfriend. Compared to the original Kung-Fu Panda it has more touching moments and a deeper story line. And it's definetly better. :yes