The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Your Thoughts on Animation.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Static Shock=one of the few kid's shows I'm willing to tolerate for just those reasons. Kid's TV should be innocent and entertaining, but as I've said, it should also serve a deeper purpose, like preparing kids for stuff they're going to have to deal with.

There was this show called "Gargoyles" where one of the characters was carelessly playing with a gun and he accidentally shot a friend, almost killing her. They even had scenes of that injured character (a cop)  in the emergency room of a hospital being treated (the surgeons actually almost lost the battle fo rher life). Not to mention that one of the characters almost killed a mob boss for thinking that it was him who shot her, because he was part of a case she was trying to solve.
Seeing that episode that planted the very idea of gun safety in my mind in the first place when I was a kid. Now, as an adult, I own a gun, but I have never carelessly played with it, and have never shot anyone (accidentally, or otherwise) with it.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Nov 7 2006 on  10:30 PM
Static Shock=one of the few kid's shows I'm willing to tolerate for just those reasons. Kid's TV should be innocent and entertaining, but as I've said, it should also serve a deeper purpose, like preparing kids for stuff they're going to have to deal with.

There was this show called "Gargoyles" where one of the characters was carelessly playing with a gun and he accidentally shot a friend, almost killing her. They even had scenes of that injured character (a cop)  in the emergency room of a hospital being treated (the surgeons actually almost lost the battle fo rher life). Not to mention that one of the characters almost killed a mob boss for thinking that it was him who shot her, because he was part of a case she was trying to solve.
Seeing that episode that planted the very idea of gun safety in my mind in the first place when I was a kid. Now, as an adult, I own a gun, but I have never carelessly played with it, and have never shot anyone (accidentally, or otherwise) with it.
I see you know Static Shock yourself. :) Yes, they did quite well for a kid's show. :yes

I had also watched Gargoyles myself when I was young.  It was indeed quite a good show.  I'm not sure who did such shows back then, but whoever did knew what they were doing with making a show for kids. :^.^:

The only reason I stopped watching was because when it moved to a cable station, I only had local TV access.  By the time I got DirectTV, it was only on at 1 am.  Now, it's gone where I live. :(

RIP Gargoyles.  You were good to me. :cry2

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Oh, yeah. The thing with TV today is that they've forgotten a part of why we make kid's stuff. Sure, a lot of stuff in "Looney Tunes" wasn't teaching moral lessons, but they actually did have their moments (and this the ever politically incorrect "Looney Tunes" we're talking about here). I'm not saying preach to the kids on all shows, but some form in intelligence that inspires the kids to start thinking, themselves, would be nice in more recent stuff more often.

By the way, if you want more "Gargoyles": Seasons One and the first half of Two are now available on DVD.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You know, I think all of this overprotective kids shows stuff is what has caused part of the problem of why the majority of kids are so stupid.  I mean no actual offenise upon posting this, so understand that it is more of creative critisim then anything else.

In my job of retailing I run into all sorts of people, even people who are down right stupid.  In some cases, I've known people to actually ask for easy to find items. (And this is talking as if it was your first time in the store.) In some cases, it's like they had their eyes glued to the ground and not once looked up at the many handy signs we have hung around the store.  The many stupid people I run into day after day causes me quite the amount of stress and I tend to enjoy the downtime I get to have.

I once read a little comic that I think might be helpful to solving this stupid people problem.

Here's how it basically went:

Scene: Parent and Teacher talking about problems with a student.

Teacher: Your son needs to improve in his spelling.
Parent: Isn't that what Spell Checker is for?
Teacher: He also needs to improve in math.
Parent: Isn't that what a calculator is for?
Teacher: Maybe he needs more parental guidence in his free time.
Parent: Isn't that what television is for?

Okay, I must admit such a thing is funny.  However all funny stuff aside, I have found something interesting upon it all.  The human society has been given tools to make life easier.  Spell Checker makes sure that you spell a word right, but it doesn't improve your spelling.  Which is a problem if you chat on the net often like many I know.

A calculator automatically solves even the most simple mathematical equations known to man.  In some cases, they even solve the most complicated mathematical problems known.  However, chances are that the person at hand won't memorize what problem they put in and the simple answer to it.  I think the overuse of a calculator has indeed caused a problem here.

Finally, the parent suggested television for free time.  However, we have discovered that the majority of stuff on TV is non-educational.  Plus, good exercise helps a brain stay smart.  Since parents put their kids in front of the boob tube, they don't get the exercise they need to keep a healthy body or brain, despite the many countless commercials I've seen that TELL people to do that.

You see, parents tend to get stressed out over their kids playing around the house.  So they put them in front of the TV and it's just like an automatic hypnotist that calms them down.  The thing is, all that playing keeps the brain of the child smart.  They don't get that exercise, their brain rots.  Plus they enjoy the stuff they find on TV so much, they don't do their homework.

I once watched a Barenstain Bears ep that talked about this.  In the end, it showed just how important it was to get homework done and end up with a good education.

I myself would like to see more of shows that would teach kids something important, yet be rather enjoyable to watch at the same time.

I say to go for that carrer of yours WR.  Who knows?  Maybe you and your friends will be the key to stopping this stupid people outbreak. -_-

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hopefully, I might be able to inspire someone else to make some intelligent animation, but could easily be a lifetime from now, but I'll try to break into the business, don't doubt that for a second.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, when you make your little animated show, I'll give it a view like I do most shows.

Of course, like most shows, I have to watch it in English.  Then again, that's all I prefer right now as it is the only language I can fully understand.  However, if you give me a foregin language show with English subtitles, I'll be fine with it. (I've growen accostomed to watching with Closed Caption, eventhough I can hear VERY well.)

So here's one thing I'm wondering, will what you will be making be in a foreign language first or in English first?  And if it's a foreign language first, I hope you get a GOOD dubbing company. :)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
If I'm successful in forging even a reasonable facsimile of a career: English, my first language, definitely. The group I'm in will be making the kinds of films we want to see, and I, for one, hate having to read movies because I don't understand the language.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Now, what I'm about to tell you next is something that I have considered being one of the most stupid things to do.

By law there is a charcter you CANNOT create.  This consists of any charcter that has black skin and large lips.  The charcter at hand can have one or the other, just not both.

This stupid little law had gotten one of my most favorite charcters on a TV show banned.  In fact, when there was an episode that mainly centered around that charcter, the entire ep was banned for that STUPID reason.

The reason such a charcter is banned is because its a racist stereotype.  I mean, that has got to be the most stupid reason in the world to actually ban something.  Why does it matter who it offends?

In fact, I don't understand why this was the one picked one.  I mean, if you ban one stereotype you should ban them all.  By that logic, Speedy Gonzales from Looney Tunes should be banned because he's a Mexican stereotype.  Machoke from Pokemon should be banned because he's a stereotype of muscle-bound men.

Why was it that the racist stereotype was the one banned?  If you ask me, it's just not right. -_-

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Maybe it has to do with the history of the United States in particular. There is a very broad variety of stereotypes to be found in German productions, but for obvious reasons anybody coming up with a Jewish stereotype is taking a high risk of being fried alive.
In case of the United States many members of the upper middle age group of people still alive lived to "see" the murder of Emmet Till, of Medgar Evers, of Martin Luther King jr., of countless others who were lynched or mutiliated. Perhaps these scars in the national consciousness still run too deep for this particular stereotype to be shrugged of like the others.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
By law there is a charcter you CANNOT create. This consists of any charcter that has black skin and large lips. The charcter at hand can have one or the other, just not both. This stupid little law had gotten one of my most favorite charcters on a TV show banned. In fact, when there was an episode that mainly centered around that charcter, the entire ep was banned for that STUPID reason.
Now that is depressing, considering how many shows are still on TV that are far more disturbing or even hateful than such an image.  I watched a cartoon recently, "South Park" (you may have heard of it) which actually depicted the KKK in a satirical manner.  They even went as far as having the KKK chant hateful things (intended to be comical, but hateful nonetheless.  I don't feel it's necessary to repeat it here).  If this was able to air on public television, why is the animation you mentioned, with the black image, banned?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well put all of sides.

On one hand, "South Park" was never for kids, but I think the show with the big-lipped black kid was a kid's show. One thing, though, don't a lot of black people have big lips? I know a lot, and a lot of the ones that I've met, at the least, have bigger lips than Coccasians.

But yeah, Malte said it well when certain scars haven't healed over here in Amerca yet. Before I did anything that would be considered 'questionable' with anything animated, it would be a long time from now.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The one that got a charcter ban and an ep ban because said charcter is banned is indeed a kid's show. :D

And you know what?  The charcter at hand hardly shows up, but wasn't doing anything that was romotly bad.

Let me give you a list of what the charcter has done thus far:

Played as one of Santa's most trusted elves.
Beat up the main villians of the show. (Though most of the charcters do that anyways.)
Acted as a Nurse and helpped heal one of the main charcters when he got a cold. (Which was surprisingly the ep that was banned.)
Random cameo appearances that are cut out in the dubbed version.

You know the worst part?  After that last mention, they changed the color of skin from black to an ugly purple.  Now under that is it ever allowed.  Here's the one's where it appeared when it was allowed for the color change.

Main opponent in a tournment.
Protecting it's child from "bad people".

That's it!  See?  Hardly ever shows up and is the most flamed upon in America just because of the way it looks and what happened to it. -_-

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
:blink:  ..........oi...oi...oi...oi...oi...oi...oi...oi...oi...oi...oi...oi...oi...that's all I can say.

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Well, I have some ideas in mind for a few good cartoons.  If you want to know what they are, I can tell you.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
A better Watership Down series would've been nice.  Even if it was to Tales I might have given it a chance but I really don't know what Rosen was thinking when he let that thing be made.  :slap

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Well, I can assure you all when I enter the animation business, I will fufill your wishes of good solid PG-13 films for intensity and violence.  PM me if you want to hear my ideas. :)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I find that animated films have better sounding voices it them.  This is because in reality shows, you have to be considered good looking to be even considered.  I find that in animated films, the voices I like are usually from overweight people which is sad because they do not normally choose these people in reality tv.  This is just one of the many reasons I hate reality tv.  I tend to watch tv to escape from my stress and troubles.  I do not find hearing about a characters realistic problem relaxing.  I don't mind hearing about a problem that is not likely to happen to me (like me getting chased by a sharptooth) but things like job trouble or the death of a family member I just don't find relaxing.  I really like animated films that take place in another reality or time such as LBT.  I cannot stand it when people claim that watching any animated film at my age is abnormal.  I do not find this abnormal but I don't share my love of LBT with anyone else.  What influenced the west to be so resistant to the idea of older people watching animated films?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Probably because its "not macho". That's the only explanation I can think of for thinking watching cartoons at an older age is considered amoral.

As for weather lord, I don't think you should put PG-13 violence in your animated films for the sake of it. I was more referring to making some high rated animated films because of their complexity and because of the issues they touch, and so be if because of the violence as well.

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,May 5 2007 on  03:38 PM
As for weather lord, I don't think you should put PG-13 violence in your animated films for the sake of it
I'll keep that in mind. :)  

As for my film ideas. Some of my films are to be set in medieval-esque times and the like, since it's just a fascinating time period. I'm working on a script for one on them as we speak (or type :lol: ).

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
This sounds really interesting! Are you making up a kind of historical "real world" setting or are you going to make a fantasy story with a medieval setting?