The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Snow Queen

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
For a contest on Deviantart I have to create my 'own' disney movie, one that does not yet exist. I took my big book of fairy tales and read a 20 page long tale that is called 'The Snow Queen'. I will be making 7 parts to this, and will be creating my own song which will go along with the movie. It'll be quite a challenge, but I'm up for a challenge for once.

Part 1

There was once a dreadfully wicked hobgoblin. One day he was in high good spirits because he had made a mirror which reflected everything that was good and beautiful in such a way that it dwindled almost to nothing, while anything that was bad and ugly stood out very clearly and appeared much worse. The most beautiful landscapes looked like boiled spinach. The nicest people looked repulsive or seemed to stand on their heads or had no middles, and their faces were so distorted that they could not be recognized. And if anyone had a single freckle, you could be sure it would look as if it had spread over his whole nose and mouth. That's the funniest thing about it, thought the hobgoblin.

One day the hobgoblin was flying high among the clouds, maliciously flashing his mirror on all the countries below. Suddenly it slipped from his hands and crashed to the earth, shattering into millions and billions of pieces. And now came the greatest mischief of all, for most of the pieces were hardly as large as a grain of sand, and they flew about all over the world. If anyone got a speck of the mirror in his eye, there it stayed. From then on, he wold see everything crooked, or else he would only see the ugly side of things. For every tiny splinter of the glass possessed the same power as the whole mirror.

Some people got a splinter in their hearts, and that was dreadful, for then the heart would turn into a lump of ice. A few of the fragments were large enough to be used as windowpanes, but how terrible it would be to look at one's friends and neighbours through such a window.

The hobgoblin was so pleased he laughed till his sides ached, as the tiny bits of glass continued to whirl about in the air.

Now we will hear what happened.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

In a large town, where there were so many people and houses that there was not enough room for everybody to have a garden, lived two poor children. They were not brother and sister, but they loved each other just as much as if they were. Their parents lived opposite one another in two attics, and each family had planted a rose tree and sweet peas in a window-box. In summer the two children were allowed to sit out underneath the rose trees and play games together all afternoon.

In the winter they could not do this, so they heated pennies on the stove and put them against the frozen window-panes. These made perfect peepholes through which they could gaze at each other across the frozen gutters.

His name was Kay, her name was Gerda.
One day it was snowing very hard.

"Those are the white bees swarming," said the old grandmother.

"Have they got a queen bee too?" asked the little boy, for he knew that the real bees have one.

"To be sure," said the grandmother. "She flies wherever they swarm the thickest. She is the Snow Queen and is the biggest of them all. She never remains still upon the earth, but always returns to the black clouds. Often at midnight she flies through the streets of the town and peeps in at all the windows, and then the snowflakes freeze in pretty patterns and look like flowers." The children agreed, since they had seen those patterns.

That evening, when little Kay was going to bed, he jumped on the chair by the window and peeped through the little hole. A few snowflakes were falling, and one of them, the largest, lay on the edge of one of the window-boxes. The snowflake grew larger and larger till it took the form of a maiden, dressed in finest white gauze. She was so beautiful and delicate, but all ice - hard, glittering ice.

She nodded at the window, and beckoned to Kay with her hand. The little boy was frightened at the sight of her and sprang down from the chair. Suddenly it seemed as if a great white bird had flown past the window.

Spring began, everything turned green. Then summer came and the rose trees grew bigger.

One day the children were looking at a picture book. The clock in the great church had just struck five, when Kay suddenly exclaimed, "Oh! Something has stung my heart, and now I've got something in my eye!" Gerda threw her arms around his neck. He blinked his eyes again and again; but no, she could see nothing in them.

"I think it is gone now," he said. But it had not gone. It was one of the tiny splinters from the magic mirror we have heard about, the mirror that turned all that was good and beautiful into small and ugly. And a splinter found its way to poor Kay's heart, which began to change into a lump of ice. His heart did not hurt him at all, but the splinter was still there.

"Why are you crying?" he asked Gerda. "It makes you look so ugly! There's nothing wrong with me. Just look! That rose is all worm-eaten, and this one is stunted! What ugly roses they are!"

He began to pull them to pieces.

"Kay, what are you doing?!" exclaimed the little girl.

When he saw how frightened she was, he pulled of another rose and ran inside to his window, away from dear little Gerda.